As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Because internet Legos are serious business.

• Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kileak, not sure if you're giving up on the road project or anything with the news Vic might be restarting UD from scratch, but if you're still chuggin along and need anything smoothstone for anything, send me a PM and let me know. I got a fairly decent chunk stockpiled that is going to serve me no purpose.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    More questions!

I found a lovely mountain range, with peaks above the cloudline. Said mountains are almost due east from my base, about a two minute walk in distance (4 minutes if you don't have a boat, as there's a large waterway in the journey). I placed a Nether portal at the top of the mountain I'm going to build on. But when I go through the portal, it ports me to my original arrival point in the nether. If I go back through the portal, I pop out in my base.

Now this is great for getting back to my base quickly, but completely defeats my goal of having a floating fortress above the clouds only accessable from the Nether.

I figure it might have something to do with the altitude, so I placed another portal at the base of the mountains, but the same thing happened, I zone into my already fortified nether spot. I tried traveling through the Nether and creating a new portal, and THAT worked, I emerged in the 'real world' no where near my base. However, I was also nowhere near my mountain. I tried looking for the mountain relative to my position, but I just got lost.

Any idea how I can fix my mountain portal to work? I'm slightly worried it might have to do with how my first portal bugged out (being shut off by a Ghast fireball, me dying, and when I re-entered the nether a new portal has spawned next to my first one, original portal facing east/west, new portal three steps away facing north/south) so I shut down the bugged portal and rebuilt/reactivated the original portal.

I have yet to demolish the mountaintop portal and rebuild it, but do you think it would help?

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Decomposey wrote: »
    More questions!

I found a lovely mountain range, with peaks above the cloudline. Said mountains are almost due east from my base, about a two minute walk in distance (4 minutes if you don't have a boat, as there's a large waterway in the journey). I placed a Nether portal at the top of the mountain I'm going to build on. But when I go through the portal, it ports me to my original arrival point in the nether. If I go back through the portal, I pop out in my base.

Now this is great for getting back to my base quickly, but completely defeats my goal of having a floating fortress above the clouds only accessable from the Nether.

I figure it might have something to do with the altitude, so I placed another portal at the base of the mountains, but the same thing happened, I zone into my already fortified nether spot. I tried traveling through the Nether and creating a new portal, and THAT worked, I emerged in the 'real world' no where near my base. However, I was also nowhere near my mountain. I tried looking for the mountain relative to my position, but I just got lost.

Any idea how I can fix my mountain portal to work? I'm slightly worried it might have to do with how my first portal bugged out (being shut off by a Ghast fireball, me dying, and when I re-entered the nether a new portal has spawned next to my first one, original portal facing east/west, new portal three steps away facing north/south) so I shut down the bugged portal and rebuilt/reactivated the original portal.

I have yet to demolish the mountaintop portal and rebuild it, but do you think it would help?

The way portals work now, when you warp to the nether, you'll always warp to the first still active portal built. Also if I remember correctly every 16 blocks in the main world is 1 block in the nether, so if you could guesstimate how far the mountains are from your original portal, you could probably get kinda close in the nether.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I too would be down for paying for server. Alternatively, I could try my hand at hosting from my home machine tonight just to see what performance would be like on it. I don't know how my machine compares to Vic's, but I'm sure being stateside should help.

Vic, if I were going to try hosting a Doppledark how would I go about cloning the underdark?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    proyebat wrote: »
    proyebat wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    There's having an opinion and then there's being a dick about it.

So it's fine to have an opinion, but if it's not the same as yours we shouldn't voice it?

Hrm...

You're not getting it.

There are ways to get your "word" out without sounding like a dick, which is what people do and not realize.

The example given was someone saying that the project would have been cooler if it weren't built in creative.

There is nothing dickish about that.

I'm not seeing how these quotes fit together. Earlier I was agreeing with Glal when he said there are better ways to get one's point across without sounding like an idiot. You said before that, in a sarcastic manner, when two people have different opinion, one shouldn't be talking at all?

We are trying to make a point that, people should, and are encouraged to express their opinions, but if that opinion is really, and I mean REALLY negative for no apparent reason, that person really shouldn't be writing.

So in a way you're right, but not as harshly as you described.

TheExAm even described the differences between how to and not how to write an opinion:
    goofus wrote:
    [X] is shit and people who like it are shit
    gallant wrote:
    I personally don't enjoy [X], can anyone tell me what they find enjoyable about it?

Because that quote tree isn't the entire conversation?

The complaint: "People who post that things made in creative aren't as cool as things made in SMP are meanies!"

This, literally, was the original quote in the thread:
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    "Yeah, it's nice, but it would have been more impressive if it was made in Survival mode legitimately."

This is the quote I'm having a conversation about. There isn't anything dickish about that. It's a person's opinion.

You and TheExAm seem to be having a tangential argument about some dumbass commenting that isn't even being discussed.

I'm... not even arguing with anyone. Someone asked for an example of a good opinion vs. a bad opinion and I gave one. That's it.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I'm sorry, it wasn't you. I'm tired today.

Now that items don't refresh their durability when you drop them I've become very, very good at strip mining. Apparently the area under my farm has a lot of volcanic activity, as it's positively swimming in lava. Which is nice, because I haven't done much with lava since the bucket fix and I've missed working with obsidian.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have some glamor shots of the newly installed warp nacelles. Click to embiggen!
    warp1p.th.png

Here's a shot to you can see the scale. I had someone stand on the nacelle for me.
    warp2.th.png

Still have a long way to go. When we put in the nacelles all work stopped in the decks and the engines became a goddamned tourist attraction. I may have to put a gift shop in there.

halkun on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looking fantastic. :^:

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kileak, not sure if you're giving up on the road project or anything with the news Vic might be restarting UD from scratch, but if you're still chuggin along and need anything smoothstone for anything, send me a PM and let me know. I got a fairly decent chunk stockpiled that is going to serve me no purpose.

Thanks! But It would be wasted on me, esp with the highway "mostly" done now :)
    But yeah, i'm mostly just looking at how to build a new highway on the next map, taking into account no one will have gold or blocks to use for it. Should be fun :D

Kileak on
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So some days ago I finished my latest project done on Diannao's.
    Done entirely by myself in a few days, here's some screen's of The Shrine:
    Shrine1.jpg
    Shrine2.jpg
    Shrine3.jpg
    Shrine4.jpg
    Shrine5.jpg
    Shrine6.jpg
    Shrine7.png
    Shrine8.jpg
    Shrine9.jpg

Yes, it is actually a Shrine to Notch :P

Hope you guys like it ^_^

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If Underdark is remade, it would be fun if all player were considered troglodytes, and the underdark (still surrounded by adminium) somehow had an exit to the surface (and only 1 exit or a small number of exits. Being surrounded by adminium would prevent more exits to be created anyway).

Being troglodytes, when a player get outside under sunlight... they get damage (sun sensitivity). So players would only be able to "safely" go to the surface at night. I guess that would require a Bukkit mod or something to damage players when exposes to sunlight (if it's even possible to have a mod do that).

Also, if there is a surface, then the underdark itself cannot be as high... well, I guess it could be under a massive mountain or something.

Tremblay on
  • Options
    phaseshifterphaseshifter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shrine9.jpg

I see the rollback took half of one of my projects away...I need to bring some stone down from my first project to fix it up again.

phaseshifter on
  • Options
    -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How would one get started in Minecraft? Are there any suggestions for servers to play on to learn. Mind you, I havent purchased it yet.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kileak wrote: »

Thanks! But It would be wasted on me, esp with the highway "mostly" done now :)
    But yeah, i'm mostly just looking at how to build a new highway on the next map, taking into account no one will have gold or blocks to use for it. Should be fun :D

Also keep in mind that the next Underdark is ages away and the current one will be saved for posterity!

Now for trying to get bukkit working again...

Vic on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    -Phil- wrote: »
    How would one get started in Minecraft? Are there any suggestions for servers to play on to learn. Mind you, I havent purchased it yet.

How to get started:

Load up the crafting page on the minecraft wiki and then just start minecraft and start punching trees and making them into tools, try to get a safe house with torches and maybe a door made in the first 9 minutes (before night fall) and then just build whatever you feel like. Wiki crafting page has all the basic possibilities.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I underdark ever restarts I would love to take part.

As is its too much to jump into.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I underdark ever restarts I would love to take part.

As is its too much to jump into.

It is?

All you have to do is spawn in, wander around until you find a place you like, and then build/mine/whatever to your heart's content.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bukkit is now running on the Underdark though there are only two plugins at the moment. One is Minecart mania, the other is secret.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sorry I messed the server up Aaron, it should be working again in a few minutes.

Vic on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to try to play this more, damn busy schedule. I'll be on Dianno's server a lot, and a couple nights ago I built my first under water home! And I made a hole into the stone I found underneath and I found some steel. Going to try to make my house a bit bigger when I come back.

(Also noisy, thanks for that signature, that comic is hilarious.)

Kadoken on
  • Options
    MadCowLucienMadCowLucien Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a minecraft server through a hosting service. My buddies used to play on it, but do it sparingly nowadays.

There are no mods enabled yet, so it is just a vanilla server atm. Once bukkit gets wrenched good, I'll plug some of the standard stuff in.

I just need a few people to make it seem less empty. If anyone is interested.

Just PM me if you wish to know more.

MadCowLucien on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I too would be down for paying for server. Alternatively, I could try my hand at hosting from my home machine tonight just to see what performance would be like on it. I don't know how my machine compares to Vic's, but I'm sure being stateside should help.

Vic, if I were going to try hosting a Doppledark how would I go about cloning the underdark?

No promises, but I may have an untouched version of the full underdark map up this weekend.

And to all of you playing on the Underdark, we are looking into adding in some countermeasures against griefing. I would appreciate if you send me a PM if any of your stuff gets griefed within the next few days, make sure to include coordinates.

Edit: Wait, you were talking about hosting the normal underdark. I'll see what I can do, but it is in no real state to be ported at the moment.

Vic on
  • Options
    SheezSheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vic, would you mind letting on how you created all of the seemingly random caverns and such?

Also, are you taking submissions for caverns/structures for the potential new underdark?

Sheez on
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm guessing something like ZOMG to get the mineral spread right, then MCEdit's wonderful wonderful sphere tool to carve out the caves? With lots of post-process editing to make the place really awesome, of course.

Now to speculate on which of the Bukkit mods Vic is running...

Huggles on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Huggles wrote: »
    I'm guessing something like ZOMG to get the mineral spread right, then MCEdit's wonderful wonderful sphere tool to carve out the caves? With lots of post-process editing to make the place really awesome, of course.

Now to speculate on which of the Bukkit mods Vic is running...

Yes, ZOMG to create a map with random caves and minerals, then NBT Forge and MCEdit to create the larger caves. Also please dont speculate, I should not even have dropped that hint.

I may ask for submissions of caves, and I may also try to get people to do some of the dirty work on my caves(mushroom placement, cave shaping etc.).

Vic on
  • Options
    Bp1580Bp1580 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Viiiic! I still have the void glitch and this makes me sad :(

I PM'd you the details. If you fix eet one last tiem I promose to stay at least 100 yards away from the Void at all times!

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    SheezSheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd love to do some of that stuff. I don't expect that you're looking yet, but there it is.

So, every cavern is hand-carved? RESPECT IS REACHING CRITICAL LEVELS!!

Sheez on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bp1580 wrote: »
    Viiiic! I still have the void glitch and this makes me sad :(

I PM'd you the details. If you fix eet one last tiem I promose to stay at least 100 yards away from the Void at all times!

I think I fixed it, I just forgot to tell you. Try to log on.

Vic on
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is Diannao down? I can't seem to connect to the server at all. I'm getting the "Connection refused: Connect" error.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    One last thing. I am getting rather swamped by the complexity of some of the Bukkit addons that I want to add. One mod apparently requires that my server use MySQL. I would be very grateful if someone could explain to me what the hell this means and how I fix it.

Vic on
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Odd got timed out and now I keep getting 'Bad Login'. Oh well, I'll try again later. Cya guys

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Empirical wrote: »
    Odd got timed out and now I keep getting 'Bad Login'. Oh well, I'll try again later. Cya guys

I just did a server restart, give it another go.

Vic on
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vic wrote: »
    Empirical wrote: »

I just did a server restart, give it another go.

Thanks but now it's just saying "taking too long". Don't worry about it if it's just me, wasn't going to stay on long today anyway.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    ShortForeskinShortForeskin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will lava melt through glass?

ShortForeskin on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Best advice in this game is: learn by experience.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well Mania works. sorta.

They really messed with the OBS boosters, which really made the mod amazing.

I am disappoint.

But still, awesome to have something to work with :D

(Also anyone mining gold ore/blocks under the railroads will be gutted, and then have their porn stash deleted in front of them.)

Kileak on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will lava melt through glass?

Nope.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Knight Of AwesomeKnight Of Awesome Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I haven't really been on the Underdark for the past we due to being distracted by something entirely else (Not even a game too!). Although I did log on for a little bit, unfortunately nobody was really on. Some people were on a few times though. Doubt anyone is on right now, then again it could just be me.

Now that bukket's installed, can Vic log on now? or has the issue maintained it's mysterious shroud?

Knight Of Awesome on
    lastfm_red_small.gif 4jGb8.jpg
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vic wrote: »
    One last thing. I am getting rather swamped by the complexity of some of the Bukkit addons that I want to add. One mod apparently requires that my server use MySQL. I would be very grateful if someone could explain to me what the hell this means and how I fix it.
    MySQL is a type of database software often used for web servers. For instance, this forum probably uses a MySQL database (with a table of users, a table of posts and so on). It's not the most powerful software but it's robust and it's probably the most popular for what it does. Why a Minecraft mod is asking for it is beyond me; I'd think anything a mod would do should be quite storable in flat files...

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Edit: Nvm, though im noticing a trend with logging in going to "took too long" and then trying again and it works.

Kileak on