Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Deadlands] - Twin Rivers (IC)

Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Critical Failures
DeadlandsLogoSmall.png
The train ride from Cedar City was long, but uneventful. Denver-Pacific normally is, as most robbers are hesitant to go up against the rail owned by the cabal of scientists, Smith and Robards. Stories get around of scorched skeletons, piles of ash and guns that fire so fast it looks like a constant stream of lead. It's a bit costly to ride, but you get there in one piece. The Avenging Angels also tend to leave the train alone, at least for now...

The train car you were assigned was almost full, but your fellow riders seemed pleasant enough. A gambler named Brett Rivers was a bit jumpy at first, but seemed to calm, at least during the day. There was also a man who went by "Finn", and said he was a reporter, looking for a good piece out west. 'Professor', as he introduced himself, Bertram Smythe a bit wild eyed, talking about a elixir he created that it would cure all your ills, make you better, faster and smarter. There was even a Native, who went by "Plays With Fire", sitting at the window, often leaving to examine the train or check on his horse in the baggage car. The other man was a bit of a mystery, not speaking much and sleeping through most of the trip. He introduced himself as John Harrison, and then dropped off to sleep. A final arrival, who almost missed the train from the look of him was a man of the cloth, who went by Elias Quinn. He was missing an arm, but didn't let that get in the way of stowing his gear and taking a seat.

You've been riding for two days when with a hiss of steam matched by the high screams from the boiler, the train pulls into Twin Rivers. An odd name for a city in the Mojave, but you've heard odder ones. Stepping onto the platform, the bustle of the growing boomtown rolls over you. You hear calls from small stalls set up near the station, and see a man in a long dusty coat in the process of hanging a poster, one in a line along the far wall of the station. There's a small group watching them, seemingly more subdued than the people walking by the train.

The train lets out another scream from the whistle, and begins to move, sliding into the train yard to begin the complicated procedure to turn around and begin the long trip back. A quick glance around reveals a ticket counter, and over to the side, a large steel door, guarded by two humorless men. Out the main doors, you can part of a large clock tower, and a wide bustling street.

The Players
Matev - Brett Rivers

Radical Ans - Edmond 'Finn' Finnegan

Erich Zahn - Jacob Harrison

Celebrim - Bertram Smythe

OptimusZed - Plays With Fire

Popesnax - Elias Quinn

FTC: honk.
FTC: HONK.

YDN6I5x.png
PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
Ghostly Clockwork on
«13

Posts

  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn stretches his arms as he walks down the platform, shaking the weariness of travel away. He takes in a lung full of hot desert air and takes in the buzzing frantic energy of the boomtown. Places like this seemed to be springing up overnight these days, always with a flurry of activity. There may be some interesting stories hidden within the hustle and bustle of commerce, excess, and death.

    As he's strolling along he notices a group of people gawking at something, and immanently headed in that direction. If it's got all these folks interested it may be something worth his time.

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The group of people are subdued, watching the man hanging the poster. The poster has a simple message,
    "Reward for the return of Jessica Walker and her kidnappers. $200 alive, $100 dead. Bonus of $200 for the safe return of Jessica Walker."
    Some murmurs of the group reach your ears, "They never found the others...." "...four in the past month alone." "...Sheriff Madsen's getting desperate."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jacob throws his arms wide, stretching everything, as he steps down from the train. With a mighty yawn he follows Finn's footsteps, blinking the sleep from his eyes that he may examine the scene more thoroughly.

    "Pardon me, but could you please tell me where the good Sheriff keeps his office?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    One of the onlookers glances at you.

    "New here are you? Well, head out the doors, down the main street. Walk towards the Clock tower, the office is at the crossroads. You'll see the sign." He sighs and shakes his head. "Good luck..."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn, overhearing Jacob, turns to him and gives him a friendly smile.

    "You were on the train, right? I believe we think alike, my boy. Great minds, and all that! I was just about to head over to the Sheriff's office myself. Do you mind if I tag along? The name's Edmond Finnegan, but everyone just calls me Finn. "

    With that he extends his hand.

    Radical Ans on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brett steps off the train, taking in the surroundings. Twin Rivers? Sounded like as good a spot as any to rest his head for awhile. He noticed the group of people gathered and headed over to see what ruckus was about.
    "Reward for the return of Jessica Walker and her kidnappers. $200 alive, $100 dead. Bonus of $200 for the safe return of Jessica Walker."

    "Hrm, a damsel in distress?" Brett thought to himself. He overheard a couple gentlemen from the train.

    "You gents headed to Sheriff's office too. Sounds like we'll be right proper bunch headed over there." He remarked. Having a couple traveling partners, however briefly, would be a slight reprieve from his usual solidarity.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Plays with Fire leads his horse from the train, his eyes wide with amazement. His gaze flashes erratically from the train to the station, to visible guns to any other piece of shiny technology he can see.

    Without realizing it, he follows the group of men that are headed to the sheriff's office, entranced by their weapons and fancy dress, and consistently distracted by the train.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bertram had unconsciously gravitated to the crowd as well. Old habits die hard and a group of potential customers already together would have been a welcome gift.

    Hearing three of his car-mates' discussion, he begins to shadow them. If they are intending to brave the wilds for this girl, then they could make use of his wares. Helping himself would hopefully get him on good terms with local law enforcement as well. If they turn out not to be interested, he could at least use their distracting the sheriff to see if any of his past transgressions have followed him here in the form of wanted posters or notices.

    Celebrim on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Walking down the dusty street, you can see the tall clock tower in the center of the crossroads. On the road there, there are a number of interesting places, music coming from a place called "Moonlit Saloon" and a seemingly well decorated hotel with a called "Dawn Star". There other stores as well, a large general store with a sign saying, "S&R Delivered Here!", numerous restaurants, some of foreign food and others with old fashioned home cooking.

    The Sheriff's office is on one of the corners of the square, a figure stretched out on a chair in front, a dusty hat pulled down over their eyes. A glint of shiny metal can be seen on the front of their coat. You can see a notice board with lots of various piece of paper tacked to it, but most people seem to pass by without giving it much care.

    Celebrim, give me a notice check, if you will?

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bertram scans the shops and signs along the street hoping to pick out the local doctor's establishment for future reference.

    Notice: 5 (Edit: correction to result. Roll was 2,5)

    Celebrim on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Berthram spots a Dentist's office on the way to the square, but no real Doctor yet. Upon reaching the Sheriff's, you see a notice pinned up, half covered. It mentions a Snake Oil Salesman wanted for questioning, but the description is rather vague. Some parts to strike a bit close to home, but there are many people who would match that description, it's not guaranteed that they're talking about you. At least, you hope not...

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn walks over to the sleeping man and checks if he's armed. Wouldn't want to wake the man, only to find himself with a newly developed case of lead poisoning.

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The figure raises their hat up with a finger revealing dark almond eyes and a somewhat attractive female face.

    "Did'nt your momma teach you to always greet a lady first?"


    Her voice has traces of an odd accent, mixed in with a more pronounced Texas drawl. It's a very strange sound, a mix you've not heard before. Her long coat falls open as she moves, revealing a worn gun-belt with a six iron securely in place.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "My apologies, ma'am." Finn tips his hat to the woman. "I didn't want to startle you. The name's Finn, and I came here to chat with you regarding the newly printed wanted posters I saw going up at the train station."

    Radical Ans on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brett checks the time on the clock tower, confirming it matches with his watch. He notices they've picked up a following, including an injun who looked like he'd died and gone to Heaven. The fair voice drew his attention back forward. Seemed the Sheriff was a woman. The wonders would never cease. He tipped his hat politely.

    "That my momma did m'am, afternoon. Like Finn here, I was dropping by ask after the reward for the kidnapping." Brett addressed the woman, doing his best to turn on the charm.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Well I'll wish you fellas good luck, for what good it'll do you. The Sheriff's on the end of his rope dealin' with it, he's got every pi yan breathin down his neck. They all want this place to be nice and safe, if word starts to really get around about it, people'll be staying away and then the whole place starts to die."

    She lifts herself off of her seat and stands at her dimnuitive height.

    "Well, come on, I'll show ya in, Sheriff's a nice guy, just don't annoy him. He's got enough on his mind than dealin with a mouthy gunslinger."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn tips his hat to the lady once more.

    "Much obliged ma'am. Please lead the way"

    Radical Ans on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Plays, not fully understanding the situation but enthralled with this strange world, follows. His horse trailing on a lead.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Opening the door to the office, the girl nods to the man behind the desk.

    "Got some folks here that want to talk to ya Sheriff, bout the posters we put up."

    The Sheriff looks up and gives the group a once over. He's a big guy, not fat, but simply large. A several day growth of stubble makes him look much more haggared than he normaly would, but his eyes are still fairly bright.

    "Xie Xie Sarah, I'll take it from here. You go back to makin' sure no one steals the Clock tower."


    Sarah gives him a wave and exists, taking up her post in front of the station.

    The Sheriff lets out a long sigh and leans back, his chair creaking.

    "So, you're here about Jessica. Do you know anything about it, or, from the look of you, you're fresh off the train?"

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brett removed his hat as they stepped in, "Saw the poster, figured iffen enough of us got together, we'd able to something about it, leastways was my way of thinking." Brett replied, "Anything you can tell us about the business would be right helpful sir."

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "The buisness...well, the situation is this. Jessica is the fourth girl to vanish. And I mean that, her parents looked in her room this mornin' and poof. Gone. Nothing broken, her room's on the second floor as well. It's just like a ruttin' ghost up and took her. It's just strange though, no contact with the people who took her or the other girls, no ransom, nothing. And I don't think it's just some crazy person, there's plenty of people if you just got the hankerin to kill someone."

    The Sheriff gives the group a calculating look.

    "I don't mind telling you that you're not the first group that we've sent out. $400 is a lot of money, and word's gotten around that it's not likely a person'll collect it. If you still are intrested, good luck to you. We don't have many leads, but if you want to start, try up at her parent's place. Head east, and turn right when you get to the tailor. You'll know which house, I'd wager. Sorry we can't offer more help, but we've got our hands full trying to keep down panic. This place may look impressive, but it's still new and I'm awfully short handed."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "I've done some detective work back when I was working for the papers back in Chicago, so I have some experience in matters like these. I'll do my best to help find those girls, you got my word on that Sheriff."

    Finn then turns to address his new companions.

    "Well fellas I think we better get moving."

    Radical Ans on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bertram was just moving in to greet Finn as he turned and jumped back slightly.

    "Smythe's the name." He says extending his hand. "I believe I can be of some assistance in your search, if you're willing to take on another hand. Safety in numbers, I always say."

    Celebrim on
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn grabs the offered hand and gives it a firm shake. "Pleased to meet you Mr. Smythe. The name's Finn, ace reporter, at your service. Your assistance is most welcome in this matter."

    Radical Ans on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Pleasure to meetcha Mr. Smythe, Mr. Finn. Reckon you can call me Riverboat, and we'll get along just fine." Brett addressed the erstatz posse, fishing a pack of cards from his suit.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Elias - having stood quietly at the back of the group this entire time - politely doffs his hat with his good hand and steps forward.

    "I beg your pardon, Mr. Finn. I'm Father Elias Quinn - I believe we spoke on the train, briefly. I might be of assistance in finding this unfortunate girl... if you've no objection to an old man tagging along, of course. I assure you I shan't be a burden."

    Inclining his head towards the Sheriff, Elias goes on to ask:

    "Sheriff Madsen, I don't mean to make light of this, but I must ask - if there's been no bodies nor a trace of any 'foul play,' as it were, do you know for certain these girls haven't simply, ah, eloped, as young lasses are wont to do?" The Priest fumbles with his hat somewhat uncomfortably. "I understand, after all, Frontier women can be somewhat more... willful than most." He glances out the door through which the Lady Deputy just left.

    "That aside, how long ago did the last disappearance before Miss Walker's occur?"

    Popesnax on
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn tips his hat to the priest.

    "Pleasure to meet you, Father. I don't mind at all, please feel free to accompany us. Might be good to have man of the cloth around."

    Radical Ans on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jacob looks back at the doorway, eyes going wide as he sees exactly how crowded the Sheriff's office is. Something else occurs to him, after he finishes staring at Plays-With-Fire's horse.

    "How many of us left our horses on the train?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Y'probably shouldn't have done that. Got all caught up in the ruckus did ya?" Brett chuckles, "Probably should go get that taken care of. I'll mosey over to the Walker place and start to get the lay of the land while you handle your rides."

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn gets somewhat flustered upon hearing about the horses.

    "Awww crap! I forgot about ol' Percy again! I tell you what, Mr. Rivers, I'll go take care of Percy and meet you over at the Walker's. I want to dig around there for clues myself."

    With that, Finn bids goodbye to his compatriots and scurries off to the train depot.

    Radical Ans on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jacob calmly steps out of the Sheriff's office-and then books it for the train station.

    Edith Upwards on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Fair enough." He waves with a soft chuckle as the others head towards the train station, "Thank ya kindly Sheriff, we'll find her." Shuffling his deck of cards deftly, Brett exits the sheriff's office and follows his directions to the Walker's.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Well Father Elias, To be honest, we don't. But none of the girls had any sort of inclination for that, Alice, the second girl, even had a nice boy here she was set to marry, was excited about it, and then gone. So we don't think that's quite what happened. As for the time...lets see. Susan went missing about 2 months ago, Alice was 2 weeks after that. Then there was nothing for 3, maybe 4 weeks. We had hoped that whoever it was had moved on. But no, Jo-anna was taken a week ago, and today, we found Jessica's empty room. In any case, I wish you lot the best of luck, and I really hope you manage to bring him back alive...I've got a lot of people who want to watch a quick drop and a sudden stop."


    Walking out of the Office, Sarah gives your group a nod as you walk past and head towards the house. You're not quite sure which one was hers, but suddenly that becomes obvious. One of the houses has a line of candles 3 deep stretching in front of the gate. There are also flowers, Saint's medals and hand written notes. Even as you approach, you see one person take a candle out of their pocket, and set it on the ground, the faint light in the middle of the day adding to the grim spectacle.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn, returning from the local stables, approaches the house slowly. When he sees Riverboat he makes a beeline over to rejoin him and the posse.

    "Looks like a memorial service to me. Perhaps we should wait to investigate the house until it is over. I wouldn't want to upset these poor people more than they already are."

    Radical Ans on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Plays with Fire openly gapes at the proceedings, enthralled by these tiny fire carriers.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There doesn't seem to be an organized service, rather as you watch, every now and then someone may light a candle or bow their head as they pass.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Plays With Fire lives up to his namesake, as he drops his horse's reins and grabs a candle. After a few tries, he gets it lit, though his fingers bear some red scars from the failed attempts that proceeded the success.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Elias pauses by the makeshift memorial, makes the sign of the Cross and quietly recites a brief prayer to St. Anthony.

    Popesnax on
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn walks over to the nearest mourner and politely addresses them.

    "Excuse me, I don't mean to bother you during this sad time, but myself and my compatriots," He gestures back to the rest of the posse, "are investigating the missing girls. Do you know where I could find the girl's parents so we can discussed what happened?"

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "They're in the house, just...waiting. We don't really know what else to do, we're just keeping a vigil, I guess."

    The lady shakes her head sadly, looking down at the ground.

    "We just don't know what to do. The Sheriff's tried getting more men up here to search em out, but the heads of the town say it'll be a while before they can, heh, 'Authorize the cost'. I suppose a few girls going missing isn't that important to the rail lords. I wish you the best of luck, but I'm afraid we're not very hopeful..."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.