Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Deadlands] - Twin Rivers (IC)

2

Posts

  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Thank you ma'am. The Sheriff has brought myself and a few other like minded individuals on to assist in this situation. We'll do our best to help yall out."

    Finn tips his hat to the woman and then heads over to the house and knocks lightly on the front door.

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    After a moment, you hear footsteps behind the door and it swings open, revealing a tall skinny man with sandy hair.

    "Can I help you? Don't mean to be rude, but if it's not rather important, I'll have to ask you to come back later. We're all a bit busy..."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brett moves to Finn's side.

    "Actually sir, not to be disrespectful to your family's grievin, but we're here to ask you some questions about your daughter's disappearance, we're lookin to find her for ya." He said in the most comforting tone he could muster. The air felt colder than that at a funeral home despite it being mid-day.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Ah, I see...You're not the first to come, well, not here, but when Jo-anna was taken, there was a whole mess of people pokin around their place, found a few things as well. Went off to search and never came back."

    The man sighs and pulls the door open.

    "I don't know if it'll do any good, but I suppose despair is the greatest sin ain't it? Her room's upstairs, first on the left. Haven't touched anythin. Me and the wife'll be down here. Not much else we can do..."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "My condolences to you sir, and thanks for letting us into your home. We'll do our best to find out who took your daughter and, God willing, bring her home safe"

    Finn then walks past the man into the room, and begins to look around for clues.

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The room is clean, if a bit sparse. A dresser against one wall has a few small items on it, a comb, a silver brooch and a few bottles of some kind. A dress is hung up against a chair, and the bed is not made. On the opposite wall of the room is a open window, through which you can see the Station in the distance, and the black shape of the train chugging away into the distance.

    Anyone who wants to search the room, make a Notice check.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn Looks around the bedroom..

    Notice check: (1d6.open(6)=1, 1d6.open(6)=3)

    ..but seems to come up short.

    Radical Ans on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brett follows after Finn, idly shuffling his cards. He examines the room, familiar clicking and flipping of the cards helping him to concentrate

    2d6= 4, 6

    ACE!

    1d6=1

    Total roll of 7. Not quite a raise, but not shabby

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The two of you search the room, and find something strange. There's no marks on the window, no sign of forced entry. Odd that someone would leave their window unlocked after the kidnappings. Below the window is a small garden, but you can't see much from up here. Searching under the bed, you spot something. Reaching back, you feel something, and pull out a playing card, a 5 of clubs. Odd for a girl to have under her bed. As Brett picks it up, he feels a slight tingle go through his fingers.

    Make a Occult check please.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    1d8=8, 1d6=5

    Mmm boy

    1d8=4

    That's a success with a couple raises Marshal, barring modifiers.


    Brett studies the card intently, his eyes fluttering and closing.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Elias follows the others into the house, but opts to remain downstairs with the Walkers.

    "Do not worry, my son - the Lord would not have put us upon this path if there was no hope of success. Remember, God is not a man, that he should lie. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise, and then not fulfill? I promise we shall see your daughter's return - just keep strong your faith in the Holy Father and all shall come right."

    Quinn continues in this vein, trying to put the parents at ease with helpful Bible verses while the others search for clues.

    Would you like me to roll Persuasion or something? I'm not really trying to get a substantive result here, just to make them feel a bit better.

    Popesnax on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As Brett picks up the card, he feels it tingle under his fingers. It's magical, no doubt about that. What kind of magic is hard to tell, but he sees small flashes, a door, a window, then they vanish in a puff of smoke and what was barred is now clear. It's not a spell that he recognizes, but then again, Hoyle's little book has many different versions.

    Downstairs, Elias's words have a calming effect on the parents, and they thank him.

    "Oh, father thank you. I just hope you find my little girl."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brett's eyes snapped open, his grip tight on the card.

    "Oh, this is gonna be fun times...." He murmured half to himself. It wasn't too often he caught someone else playing the Game.

    "I reckon we need to talk to the little lady's folks again." He announced to Finn, headed towards the door, slipping the card into a pocket, resuming shuffling with his deck.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As the others continue their investigation, Plays With Fire is conducting one of his own.

    Having found his way to the house's kitchen, he has extracted every cooking utensil he can find and laid them out on the table, and is examining them intently. Occasionally he swipes one through the air as though testing its capability as a weapon.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn follows after Brett as he leaves the room.

    "You find something, Mr Rivers?"

    Radical Ans on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Reckon I did Mr. Finn. And if I'm right, we're gonna be in a big ol' heap of trouble before long." Brett replied as they made their way back down to the Walkers.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Please, just call me plain ol' 'Finn.' This "Mr" business makes me feel like an old man"

    Radical Ans on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Fair enough Finn, so long as you call me Brett. Mr.'s for my daddy and people at the Saloon to be callin' me." Brett gave him a nod. They came down to see Quinn comforting the Walkers with the ideas of the Almighty. Brett waited until it seemed there was a break and then interjected.

    "I hate to interrupt folks, but have you had any gentlemen callers in the past few days?" He asked politely, pausing in his shuffling, his hand dipping into his pocket and running over the 5 of Clubs.

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bertram continues waiting outside the house, saying a small prayer in front of the vigil. Deciding not to follow his companion into the house and overwhelm the family with visitors, he passes the time watching the passers-by to see if the group has garnered any unusual attention.

    Celebrim on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Gentlemen callers? No, nothing like that. She was rather shy, clever though. Heh, I should show you the cellar. But no, no gentlemen callers. Why do you ask? Did you find something?"

    He tries to keep his voice steady, but you can hear the thin ray of hope.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Celler eh..." Finn says stroking his chin. "What's down there?"

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Oh some of her projects. Don't quite understand many of them myself, but she loved it. Would you like to see it? I don't know if it would help, but anything, if it could help..."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User
    edited February 2011
    "What sort of projects? Was Jessica an aspiring artist? I'd hate to intrude on someone's private work, but you never know what might help in this situation..."

    Popesnax on
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "It also might help if we could view her work. It may give us some insight into what her state of mind was like at the time she went missing."

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Oh, no, not art, it might be best if you just take a look."

    The man gets up and leads you to the back of the house and into a small yard, where he opens a storm cellar, and leads you down into it. Flipping a switch on the side of the wall, the room is suddenly lit up. Arranged with somewhat worrying precision is a variety of mechanical devices, gears stacked and organized according to size, a wall of various tools, some things which look like twisted and malformed guns, even a small container labeled in a neat copperplate hand, "Ghost Rock". There's even a spotless apron and goggles hanging on the wall. The entire place is clean and is exactingly organized. The man glances around and shrugs.

    "Well, here it is. I don't really understand too much of it myself. I worked on the old railways building the engines before the big quake, but this new stuff, with that weird ghost coal? Don't understand half the stuff, and to be honest, the half I do understand worries me a bit."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brett follows everyone down, speaking as they go.

    "Found something in her room of slight interest, and unless your daughter was practicing card tricks in her room, I'm very curious as to how it got there." He pulls the card from his pocket as he scrutinizes the room, "Oh Lord save us, the girl was trying to be a scientist..."

    Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn walks around the room examining the equipment.

    "Hmmm.. Ghost Rock eh... That's the stuff that all those weirdo scientists up in Salt Lake are using right? Maybe she invented something that someone else wanted, but didn't necessarily want to pay her for."

    He continues to look around the room for clues, muttering to himself all the while.

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Roll a notice check.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looking around the workshop, you can see everything seems to be in place. The organization of the tables makes the search fairly easy, but you do notice a few odd things. There's a small shelf of notebooks over one of the tables, and a number of small devices are softly ticking. There is a slight hum coming from one of the twisted gunlike item. There's nothing that seems to be missing, of course, it would be hard to know if something is missing, as it's not there.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn begins taking the notebooks from the shelf one by one, and leafs through them for information.

    Would that warrant an Investigation check?

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yep, please do.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Flipping through the notebooks, you see neat lines of writing, diagrams and small sketches. The designs don't make much sense, you you think you can match up one or two of the things on the workbench with some deigns. You could be wrong though, the designs are rather complicated.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn throws the notebook down in frustration.

    "I can't make heads or tails of this scientific gibberish!"

    After a second or two he regains his composure.

    "Maybe we need to take these to someone who's more scientifically inclined, get them interpreted."

    Radical Ans on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Her father gives a cough.

    "Um...sir, I'd rather you didn't take them...I mean...If...something does happen...they were hers."

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "My apologies sir. I was simply thinking out loud."

    He hands the notebook to Brett. "While we're here do you think you can make anything out of these? I'm going to go grab the professor and see if he can glean any information as well."

    Finn heads outside to retrieve Professor Smythe.

    Sorry I had a total brain fart and confused you with Popesnax character. I ment to look at your sheet but it's blocked at work.

    Radical Ans on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Professor Smythe, greets Finn at the door, and receives a brief update of the basement's contents. Following Finn back inside, he greets Jessica's father.

    "Sir, my name is Bertram Smythe. I am an associate of these gentlemen. I did not want to trouble you with too many visitors at once, but I may have some familiarity with your daughter's work. If it is not too much trouble, would you permit an additional intrusion into your basement so I may examine your daughter's notebooks?"

    Celebrim on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To move things along (if he agrees) -

    Notice Roll 1,4
    Investigation Roll 3,4

    Celebrim on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "If you think it would help, please do."

    You take the books and look through them. Things are a bit clearer with your background, you definitely recognize a few items, but one catches your eye. The notebook says that it's a prototype tracker. The device would be able send a signal that would allow it to be tracked by another. Checking the notebooks, you spot the locator sitting on the workbench, but the partner to it is nowhere to be found. The notebooks have some explanation for how it works, but it doesn't make much sense to your chemistry background. You think you can figure out how to turn it on though.

    Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

    YDN6I5x.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
2
Sign In or Register to comment.