it bummed me out when he tried to kill himself again

satansfingers on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »
    Gholston might go down as the biggest defensive bust pick in history.

Sure about that?

I see 4 sacks in 19 games on his resume. Vernon Gholston (picked number 6 overall in 2008) has played 45 games, 30 of which for Rex Ryan's blitz heavy defense, and has not recorded a single sack. Not even a half sack!

But Underwood didn't even make it to training camp for the team that drafted him. That's pretty goddamn bad.

Gholston has the edge in where he was picked (as far as bust status) but to just never even put on the uniform of the team that drafted you in the first round even once...ugh. That's just so bad.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hullis wrote: »
    Gholston might go down as the biggest defensive bust pick in history.

Sure about that?
    I don't know if he's a bigger bust than Gholston but, Ryan fucking Sims.

First round, 6th overall. We traded the #8 pick, #75 pick, and a 2003 6th round to move up.

74 games with KC, 54 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 int.

mcp on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The NFL and the NFLPA have agreed upon a rookie salary cap, the terms of which are still to be discussed. Ideally, this goes into effect this draft. Now, who's trading up for Newton?

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fairley was the star of Auburn's pro day not Newton.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't think it's even set that Newton is the top QB in the draft. Some mocks have Gabbert rated higher.

I think if someone is trading up, it's going to be for a different position than QB.

mcp on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I agree with many on feeling that Peterson is the best player in this draft but you just don't see CBs taken #1 overall.

Star QBs can make an offense. Star CBs can only do so much.

ShimSham on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's goddamn unfortunate that Campbell is in Oakland. Al might've been crazy enough. How about Cincinnati? Just because the guy's not the highest rated doesn't mean it won't happen. We all know this.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I guess Cincinnati could trade up for him.

Say they like both the top rated QB's, and Carolina picks a QB. The might try to swap with Denver to get ahead of Buffalo, who has pretty much said they want to draft a QB.

mcp on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Kiper's moved Gabbert up to #1

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't decide whether to call him GABBO GABBO GABBO or just Yo Gabba Gabba.

Also, Kiper should never be taken seriously again after his weird boner for Jimmy Clausen

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the conflicting emotions of mizzou pride and a belief that he's not very good are tearing me apart

satansfingers on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still don't understand the love that Kiper had for Jimmy Clausen.

Rinder on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rinder wrote: »

i always just assumed it was hand in hand with the weird obsession the sports media has with notre dame football

i might be wrong though

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    jimmy was just such a tender lover

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    mcp wrote: »
    I guess Cincinnati could trade up for him.

Say they like both the top rated QB's, and Carolina picks a QB. The might try to swap with Denver to get ahead of Buffalo, who has pretty much said they want to draft a QB.

Oakland could prove to be a good place for Campbell actually. If they ever win another away and/or out of division game anyway.
    Rinder wrote: »

i always just assumed it was hand in hand with the weird obsession the sports media has with notre dame football

i might be wrong though

Kiper and McShay, ESPN's top two NFL draft analysts, differed greatly on where he would land and Kiper was on a short list of analysts that had him in the first round and more or less alone when saying he could go top 10.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sold on Cam Newton. He really needs to go to a team with an aging vet at QB so he can learn the pro game. If he goes to Carolina or Buffalo where he's probably going to be a day 1 starter I don't think he will succeed.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the thing i appreciate about mcshay being at espn now is that it diminishes the impression that kiper's opinions on the draft are the one true opinions

by being able to easily crossreference them, you can get a better idea of who is more of a consensus pick to go in a certain round vs who one analyst happens to have a boner for

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sold on Cam Newton. He really needs to go to a team with an aging vet at QB so he can learn the pro game. If he goes to Carolina or Buffalo where he's probably going to be a day 1 starter I don't think he will succeed.

ryan fitzpatrick was pretty decent last year, the bills could definitely start him and give newton time to sit

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

ryan fitzpatrick was pretty decent last year, the bills could definitely start him and give newton time to sit

Will they though? I would think the first time Fitzpatrick lost or had a bad game (which could easily be week 1) there's going to be pressure to start Newton.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't think he'd be the starter day 1 in Buffalo.

Fitzpatrick had enough success, that they'd probably be okay with sitting whoever they draft for a season.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For some reason I feel like Newton has a little more Roethlisberger in him than Tebow and could do well starting.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Will they though? I would think the first time Fitzpatrick lost or had a bad game (which could easily be week 1) there's going to be pressure to start Newton.
    i'm sure there would be pressure, if there were any bills fans left.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Probably would depend on how secure Chan Gailey feels in his job.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's going to be an interesting story to follow that's for sure. I have some weird feeling that Jake Locker is going to be the best pro-QB in this draft.

I think it is going to be remembered as a pretty week QB draft when we look back.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For some reason I feel like Newton has a little more Roethlisberger in him than Tebow and could do well starting.

i agree

i don't really think he's going to have much more difficulty transferring to a pro style offense than any other spread qb. he's probably got the arm for it (though obviously has had some accuracy issues at times). as far as him as a running qb goes, i think he won't have a super tough go of things shifting to the footwork needed in a pro offense. as big and elusive a runner as he is, i feel like he's got the sense of where his body is and how to manipulate it that's necessary for that at its core. he ran a lot this year, for sure, but i wouldn't say he was ever as run-focused as tebow was.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't like any quarterback in this draft as much as I have a lot of the QBs from the past several drafts.

ShimSham on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i really hope andy dalton turns out to be the best

that is all i want

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i like kaepernick and ponder and locker and dalton.

the bigger names all seem like they're either shitheads (mallett and newton) or not well prepared for pro football (gabba dabba doo)

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I wonder how much Carolina cried when Luck decided to stay in school.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I wonder how much Carolina cried when Luck decided to stay in school.

A lot. At least, I did.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    All the tears.

Say Luck has a lights out season next year. I wonder what happens if a team like Carolina or Washington picks a QB in the first round this season, and ends up with the #1 pick next season.

You just spend a first rounder on a QB, but Luck is suppose to be the next great franchise QB.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I guess with a rookie wage scale agreement Luck hasn't officially cost himself money yet.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the financial disclosure bargaining going on with the nfl is really weird to me. it sounds like the exchange has basically been:

owners- "give us a billion more dollars"
    players- "can you tell us why you need that?"
    owners- "...no"

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it does seem like the owners are being greedy but it's hard to tell with the info given.

What makes it suspicious though is they won't give out the info. If they really needed the money you would think they would be happy to hand over the documentation.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The Yahoo News commentators are all, "I run a business. If my employees wanted to see my books, I'd fire'em!" Cause it's totally the same.

The consensus is that the records would show outlandish salaries for relatives that probably don't do anything of worth for the team. The pressure for the owners is that if the union decertifies and sues, the books will be open for all to see, as opposed to the Union which has offered a nondisclosure agreement.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Some people have suggested the owners are resisting opening their books, not to hide the info from the players, but to hide the info from their fellow owners.

The owners between themselves have a lot of their own internal arguments to deal with, primarily revolving around revenue sharing.

ShimSham on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, pretty reputable reporters are reporting that the 18 game schedule is off the table as far as a negotiating point.

Thank goodness, that's one of the big things I didn't want to come from the new CBA. So stupid that the owners continually repeated the "fact," that the fans definitely wanted an 18 game schedule. Then all of these giant polls came out showing that fans didn't want an 18 game schedule and that was kind of shot down.

Things I most want... (aside from a new CBA period)

- Rookie scale (that's almost definitely happening)
    - In season IR and/or larger rosters

ShimSham on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Given that the talks got pretty ugly yesterday, I think it's more likely than not that the union decertifies and files an antitrust suit before the end of the day today.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Also, pretty reputable reporters are reporting that the 18 game schedule is off the table as far as a negotiating point.

Thank goodness, that's one of the big things I didn't want to come from the new CBA. So stupid that the owners continually repeated the "fact," that the fans definitely wanted an 18 game schedule. Then all of these giant polls came out showing that fans didn't want an 18 game schedule and that was kind of shot down.

Things I most want... (aside from a new CBA period)

- Rookie scale (that's almost definitely happening)
    - In season IR and/or larger rosters

The fans definitely hate full ticket prices for shitty preseason games which is sort of where they were coming from though.

Butters on
This discussion has been closed.