Options

PACKERS WIN. The last Super Bowl Ever. [UFL?]

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So don't have them. Problem solved. Teams play each other in the pre-season without charging full price tickets already. It's called scrimmaging.

The "oh we're going to convert 2 pre-season games to regular season games so the fans don't have to be subjected to it" is a shitty angle designed specifically to get fans on the side of the NFL. It's a completely empty point.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No it isn't. Because the games don't count towards their records it is in the best interest for starters to be used sparingly in the preseason. Starters whom the fans paying full ticket price are paying to see.

It's a sound argument in that light but it's obviously not worth further risk to the players health.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm glad to see that you've bought into the false dichotomy that the only possible options are 4 preseason games or 18 regular season games.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If you want the ticket revenue to be the same (which both the NFL and NFLPA certainly do) then yes a sum of 22 games must remain the standard.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, what exactly does it mean if the union decertifies?

I guess the next step is court, but what exactly is decertification?

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Decertification essentially destroys the union but it allows the players to circumvent the lockout and sue the league over antitrust claims. It happened in 1989 and the settlement over the suit in 1993 led to the reforming of the NFLPA and the introduction of free agency.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQVGtrqmy9g&feature=player_embedded
    Denver scouting executive Matt Russell working out Nate Solder.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The NFLPA has decertified.

Let the games begin.

And by games, I mean UFL games.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So, when this goes to court, it's pretty much assured that that owners are going to have to open their books, right?

mcp on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    UFL only has 6 fucking teams.

Also, the Arena Football League starts tonight.

PHILLY SOUL VS PITT POWER

Ron "Jaws" Jaworski vs Lynn Swann

Xehalus on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The NFLPA has decertified.

Let the games begin.

And by games, I mean UFL games.

So has there been word from the NCAA about playing a few games a week on Sundays?

Seg on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    if it starts to look like they're going to miss games, i think i'll just light myself on fire

at least in death i might bring attention to the importance of the nfl

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'll be pissed if they start missing games.

God damn it, my team is finally headed in the right direction.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    roger goodell should probably arrive at the draft in the popemobile

i don't think people are going to be very happy

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Better to just video conference in from an undisclosed location.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think they'll miss games.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    NO SHUT UP

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Holy shit. This is actually happening.

NFL lockout? Japan destroyed by earthquake tsunami? Middle East countries tearing each other apart from inside? Charlie Sheen crazy?

This is it.

The world is actually going to end.

If you need me, I'll be in my bunker which I have accurately prepared for such an occasion.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

NFL lockout? Japan destroyed by earthquake tsunami? Middle East countries tearing each other apart from inside? Charlie Sheen crazy?

This is it.

If you need me, I'll be in my bunker which I have accurately prepared for such an occasion.

Is that where you keep your emergency copy of Eat, Pray, Love?

HEH

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

This is it.

Is that where you keep your emergency copy of Eat, Pray, Love?

HEH

No.

Citizen Kane.

Along with an inflatable bed filled with freshly popped Orville Redenbacher.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For the record, I am rooting for the NFL to completely dissolve.

Along with their shitty TV contracts and stupid mobile content deals.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope this drags on forever. Stupid league makes more money than God and they can't figure this shit out.

I don't think the owners ever thought the players would go this far, so good for them.

Maybe when the new contract gets done the NFL will be generous enough to give their older players medical coverage as well so we don't have a generation of guys with brain injuries killing themselves.

Maximum on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    natek on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hahaha! Clever.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So, when does the NBA, NHL, and MLB lockout and all the money goes to high-speed rail and NASA funding?

Hollywood, you're next.

We don't need you anymore, we've got Youtube.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The fastest way to a fair agreement is for both the union and the clubs to continue the mediation process. Unfortunately, the players’ union has notified our office that at 4pm ET it had “decertified” and is walking away from mediation and collective bargaining, presumably to initiate the antitrust litigation it has been threatening to file. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, the clubs offered a deal that would have had no adverse financial impact upon veteran players in the early years and would meet the players’ financial demands in the latter years.

The union left a very good deal on the table. It included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; ensure no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

The union was offered financial disclosure of audited league and club profitability information that is not even shared with the NFL clubs.

The expanded health and safety rules would include a reduction in offseason programs of five weeks (from 14 to nine) and of OTAs (Organized Team Activities) from 14 to 10; significant reductions in the amount of contact in practices; and other changes.

At a time when thousands of employees are fighting for their collective bargaining rights, this union has chosen to abandon collective bargaining in favor of a sham ‘decertification’ and antitrust litigation. This litigation maneuver is built on the indisputably false premise that the NFLPA has stopped being a union and will merely delay the process of reaching an agreement.

The NFL clubs remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached. The NFL calls on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

mcp on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Please, Xehalus, stop. My head hurts enough already.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I really hope MLB locks out.

I fucking hate drunk Cubs fans.

Stay the fuck home assholes, and stop bothering everyone.

especially you stupid fucking cunts that come in from the suburbs.

mcp on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2011
    what are you, a white sox fan

barf

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No, I dislike baseball altogether.

mcp on
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    more like white sux

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think both the MLB and NHL learned their lesson last time they had a lockout. NBA will learn in a couple years.

NFL is so big that it won't matter, as soon as they go back to playing everyone will start watching again.

Maximum on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The only thing the MLB learned from their lockout is the players have all the power. The NHL's players at least learned that they and most of their league is expendable.

Don't underestimate what could happen to the NFL either. A significant loss of season could cost hundreds of millions in tickets and advertising as well as cause the death of a few franchises.

Butters on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WASHINGTON, D.C.—U.S. Chamber of Commerce Senior Vice President of Labor, Immigration, and Employee Benefits, Randel K. Johnson, issued the following statement today on the decision by the NFL Players Association to decertify as a union:

“We are troubled by the decision of the NFL Players to decertify as a union so that they may litigate under the antitrust laws, with the prospect that once the litigation is over they will again claim they are a union. Gaming the labor laws and the antitrust laws offers a potentially disastrous model for labor-management relations in this country and raises serious questions of labor policy.”

ShimSham on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am gonna have to agree that the decertification is a bit of a sham but I also think the NFL should have to open its books to the public.

Butters on
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    I am gonna have to agree that the decertification is a bit of a sham but I also think the NFL should have to open its books to the public.

Why? How many other businesses have to open their books to the public or their employees? I work for Comcast and I can guarantee you if I demanded to see the books they would laugh their asses off.

Even Green Bay, which is owned by the public, doesn't give a full view of their books.

The fact that they offered any kind of glance at the books to the union was a pretty big boon.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think the main thing the NFLPA needs to realize if they want better pensions, they should probably expect their salaries to have to go down.

I assume the owners somehow tried to convince that 2 extra games would make up for this.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

Why? How many other businesses have to open their books to the public or their employees? I work for Comcast and I can guarantee you if I demanded to see the books they would laugh their asses off.

Even Green Bay, which is owned by the public, doesn't give a full view of their books.

The fact that they offered any kind of glance at the books to the union was a pretty big boon.

How many other businesses are exempt from anti-trust laws?

Butters on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mcp wrote: »
    No, I dislike baseball altogether.

That's unamerican

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The NFL is not exempt from anti-trust laws.

MLB is.

If they were exempt, then they couldn't sue the NFL on anti-trust grounds.

Which they are going to do.

Now, the NFL does have legal maneuverings around anti-trust, by claiming that teams act as independent businesses, however it doesn't apply in this case.

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.