Options

PACKERS WIN. The last Super Bowl Ever. [UFL?]

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The PA has a legitimate right to temporarily decertify if the owners are going to lockout. If they can't actually play, they can't work. In that situation, they don't need a labor union, they need a trade association.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have to say that having a premeditated 404 page for your union website doesn't make you look all that virtuous.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Holy shit. This is actually happening.

NFL lockout? Japan destroyed by earthquake tsunami? Middle East countries tearing each other apart from inside? Charlie Sheen crazy?

This is it.

The world is actually going to end.

If you need me, I'll be in my bunker which I have accurately prepared for such an occasion.

Does the evil of Supermoon know no bounds?

the wook on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I have to say that having a premeditated 404 page for your union website doesn't make you look all that virtuous.

...we've been discussing a possible lockout for a year now. I'm sure that took an intern all of ten minutes to make. Months ago

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    The PA has a legitimate right to temporarily decertify if the owners are going to lockout. If they can't actually play, they can't work. In that situation, they don't need a labor union, they need a trade association.

Yeah but after decertification collective bargaining is supposed to cease and since it almost certainly won't the owners are calling the move what it is: kind of bullshit.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Now, the NFL does have legal maneuverings around anti-trust, by claiming that teams act as independent businesses, however it doesn't apply in this case.

Essentially what the American Needle case was all about

the wook on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The ONLY reason the NFLPA decertifies is because it allows them to take certain legal actions that they couldn't take if they were a union. And it is bullshit.

Which is why the NFL will fight it, and I think they could win.

A lot of people will be looking at that case, since unions are a headline issue this month.

Neither the NFL or the PA is blameless in any of this. It's two teams of lawyers blithely defending their clients interests, and they'll nuke each other for every last dollar.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And those certain legal actions are likely being used as leverage. I'm sure they drop the action should they get a better deal.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Neither the NFL or the PA is blameless in any of this. It's two teams of lawyers blithely defending their clients interests, and they'll nuke each other for every last dollar.

Maybe if the owners hadn't been so busy pushing the stupid 18 game schedule for the past year, I'd feel less inclined to look at them as the idiots who are willing to kill the golden goose. But while their cries of "PA walked away from the deal of the century just to be dicks and sue us!" certainly have a ring of truth to them, I'm just not going to feel bad about the owners being taken to the cleaners for nothing more than spite.

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think that having the 18 game schedule off the table for 2 years and not being able to enact it without mutual agreement was a sweet deal.

The NFLPA put out a bullet list of why they walked away today which is a worthy read

http://www.nfllockout.com/2011/03/11/issues-preventing-a-new-nfl-cba-from-being-reached/

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah if that's true, nothing but bad feelings for the owners on my part. But really I don't like them anyway because they know the healthcare thing is going to get hammered out somehow and you know what would save them a ton of money? Universal Healthcare in the US. But do I see the NFL doing the smart thing and foisting player injuries off on the common taxpayer? Nahhhh, they'd rather haggle over whether player injuries are even their problem in the first place.

Incredibly short-sighted of them, but this whole business just smacks of lacking any form of long term planning whatsoever.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    NFL demanded 100% of all revenues which went above unrealistically low projections for the first four years.

I am struggling with this.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That's a deceptively worded statement.

They want fans to read "100% of all revenues", but what they really mean is all revenues over a certain threshold, the threshold of which they do not specify at all. So it can be safely discarded as PR crap.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The ONLY reason the NFLPA decertifies is because it allows them to take certain legal actions that they couldn't take if they were a union. And it is bullshit.

Which is why the NFL will fight it, and I think they could win.

A lot of people will be looking at that case, since unions are a headline issue this month.

Decertifying doesn't let the NFLPA do anything they wouldn't be allowed to do in six months anyway. It just means they can file suit now, which might give them the opportunity to play the season, rather than waiting until August.
    They want fans to read "100% of all revenues", but what they really mean is all revenues over a certain threshold, the threshold of which they do not specify at all. So it can be safely discarded as PR crap.

Right now, the NFL takes $1 billion off the top, then splits the remainder 60/40, with the players getting the majority. What the owners want to do in a hypothetical new CBA is take in the area of $2 billion off the top, and split the rest with the players at something much closer to a 50/50 rate.

Also, the league lost out on its whole "we're not a monopoly, really!" argument in the American Needle case.
    The fact that they offered any kind of glance at the books to the union was a pretty big boon.

No, it really isn't. The league isn't a regular business; because it's a monopoly, the players don't have the leverage of going to work for a competitor if they don't like the NFL's offer. That's why the collective bargaining process exists. Part of that process is getting enough access to the league's financial information to actually, you know, bargain. The NFLPA apparently either didn't think the league was willing to show them enough, or didn't like what they were being shown.

The league and the NFLPA are much closer to being business partners than they are to being typical employee/employers.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm really disappointed in both sides. I don't think the evil owners or the greedy players are all to blame. The NFLPA is going to try their hardest to make it seem like they turned down a terrible offer and the owners are going to go ahead and do the exact opposite.

Fuck both sides right now. They need to fix this and play football.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    NFLPA was ready to extend the current CBA another two years. Owners brought this on themselves.

And apparently decertifying is the quickest way to force the lockout card out of the NFL's hand, which means new deal or not, there will be football this season.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert had his shot today in front of NFL coaches and general managers. By all accounts, his day was a success and left teams with a lot to think about.

Gabbert looked relaxed compared to Cam Newton one week ago, and his throwing session was much more up-tempo with better pace. After primarily taking his snaps out of the shotgun formation for Mizzou, Gabbert lined up exclusively under center today and looked comfortable.

He showcased his 4.61-speed from the combine by displaying the ability to effortlessly move outside the pocket to throw on the run. His mobility was one of his best skills of the day.

Though Gabbert was high on a few throws and had receivers reaching vertically, he displayed a quick release and his passes were accurate for most of the workout. He reportedly completed 44-of-49 passes.

There were just two incomplete passes due to poorly thrown balls. The other passes that hit the turf were catchable throws dropped by the receivers. Unlike Newton, who was able to throw to his own draft-eligible receivers and running backs during the Auburn pro day, Gabbert used receivers from small colleges who he had limited experience with.

The passes Gabbert missed on seemed to be the result of the junior quarterback trying to put too much juice on the ball, in an effort to impress scouts with his arm strength.

Overall the effort was a good one, so much so that teams basing draft boards on the results of pro days should now have the name of Blaine Gabbert atop Cam Newton's.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I guess the Broncos were at Gabbert's proday, and have a private workout schedule with Locker.

They're either trying to disguise their picks, or the new brass doesn't care much for Tebow.

mcp on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tebow seems more like a novelty than a franchise man.

But that could just be me.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ESPN2 was inundated with suck this morning. I'm usually awoken by my wife getting ready in the mornings and I turn on Mike and Mike to fall back asleep to. For at least the past two days, Doug Gottlieb has replaced Golic. Now, Gottlieb is a pretty polarizing dude, and I've only really started to get annoyed by him recently, but yesterday he used the word "kicks" as a synonym for shoes. This man is an adult. I cannot reconcile these two truths into a man that I want to listen to speak.

So after Gottlieb still co-hosting Mike and Mike, Jonathan "The COACH!!!" Coachman was filling in on First Take. I'm no fan of Cold Pizza, but I can usually peacefully ignore it. The presence of "The COACH!!!" makes that impossible. I should like him, being a wrestling fan, but the charisma feels manufactured and the corn doesn't work outside the WWE universe. If you try to listen to ESPN Radio on the weekends, you have to hear "The COACH!!!" say, "This is The COACH!!!" every twelve minutes.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MagnumCT wrote: »
    ESPN2 was inundated with suck this morning. I'm usually awoken by my wife getting ready in the mornings and I turn on Mike and Mike to fall back asleep to. For at least the past two days, Doug Gottlieb has replaced Golic. Now, Gottlieb is a pretty polarizing dude, and I've only really started to get annoyed by him recently, but yesterday he used the word "kicks" as a synonym for shoes. This man is an adult. I cannot reconcile these two truths into a man that I want to listen to speak.

So after Gottlieb still co-hosting Mike and Mike, Jonathan "The COACH!!!" Coachman was filling in on First Take. I'm no fan of Cold Pizza, but I can usually peacefully ignore it. The presence of "The COACH!!!" makes that impossible. I should like him, being a wrestling fan, but the charisma feels manufactured and the corn doesn't work outside the WWE universe. If you try to listen to ESPN Radio on the weekends, you have to hear "The COACH!!!" say, "This is The COACH!!!" every twelve minutes.

Bilas was cohosting Mike and Mike a day before Gottlieb.
    He did a pretty fine job since they were mostly talking about the tourney.

Rinder on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ESPN2 was inundated with suck this morning.

Somehow you started a post off with this and didn't mention Skip Bayless during the whole thing.

I don't understand.

ShimSham on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps I should have included "more so than usual."

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ShimSham wrote: »
    ESPN2 was inundated with suck this morning.

Somehow you started a post off with this and didn't mention Skip Bayless during the whole thing.

I don't understand.

Does Skip really need to be mentioned?

Seg on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Looks like Marty Schottenheimer might be headed to the UFL. He's in negotiations to become the head coach/gm of the Virginia Destroyers.

mcp on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    What you wrote

"Virginia Destroyers"

What I read

"Virgin Destroyers"

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The Virgin Destroyers have the best half time show of any team.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    NFLPA was ready to extend the current CBA another two years. Owners brought this on themselves.

Of course the NFLPA wants to extend a CBA that currently works in their favor. Pretty much any new CBA involved concessions on their part. Their slice of the revenue pie turned out to be quite larger than anyone expected.

In other news, local Tampa media claims Tiki won't be suiting up with his brother. Not that this is surprising to anyone but goose.

Butters on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What you wrote

"Virginia Destroyers"

What I read

"Virgin Destroyers"

Common mistake. Note, though, he didn't mention Roethlisberger. That was your biggest clue.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Vote for the Madden 12 Cover.

I'm voting for people that don't play for Kansas City.

mcp on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vote Ray Rice '12

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I would vote for all defensive players so maybe they'll consider fixing the shitty tackling, block-shedding, and pass coverage systems they've left in place the last 6 or so editions.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Voting for Philip Rivers.

'cause fuck Philip Rivers.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Two problems

1) I love how the "seeding" magically aligned division rivals

2) If the Seattle "12th man" makes the cover I will murder people

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Carlos Dunlap is awesome and my favorite Bengal on defense but what the heck is he doing on this poll?

I would think the Bengals rep would be Benson or maybe da Ocho

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Considering Benson didn't have a really good season, is getting old, and Ocho doesn't even want to be a Bengal anymore I'd consider either one of them to be shitty representatives for the team.

Butters on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Benson had a decent season considering that we didn't even use a fullback until the last, uh, two games, I believe?

Fuck you Bratkowski

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Danny Woodhead all the way.

LTM on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Why is The 12th Man an option? That's just stupid.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I voted for the 12th Man and will continue to do so

Clint Eastwood on
This discussion has been closed.