Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[M&M] Trinity City IC

AriviaArivia Registered User
edited April 2011 in Critical Failures
This is the in-character thread for the 2nd edition Mutants and Masterminds game, Trinity City.

Current Issue: #1 - What do an alien, a caped crusader, a plant-woman and a corporate "fixer" have in common? They're all trapped in a burning slum with two murderous gangs and a host of innocents! But this isn't just any slum - it's on the artificial island of Trinity City, Louisiana - home to the mysterious Trinity Corporation, which transcends the laws of physics, nature, and even reality! Written by Doug Esc and Matt Azzyx. Pencils by Anna Rivia. Inks by Capt. S.C. Carrot. Cover by T. Hom. New monthly comic. Alternate cover available as retailer incentive.

Roll using whatever. I trust you.

Variant and house rules:
Save defenses, damage checks:

You need to calculate some additional stats for your character - specifically, in relation to their saving throws, some powers, and attacks. In all cases these are derived stats - meaning that you cannot spend power points directly on these stats to raise them. However, they all derive simply from one or more existing character statistics that can be raised with power points. If any statistic these new statistic derives from is changed, temporarily or permanently, these stats are recalculated.

Saving throws:

You need to mark down new save defenses to go with your existing saving throws. One save defense exists for each saving throw, for a total of four. A save defense is equal to 10 + its related saving throw bonus.

Powers:

Be sure to write down the bonus to a power check for any power. For this system, some powers that did not previously require a power check may do so.

Attack bonus and Defense:

These do not change.

Damage:

For any power, attack, or ability that would involve a Toughness saving throw and have effects on the damage track, record a damage check bonus. This damage check bonus is equal to the power or ability's damage bonus + 5.

Here are the very simple ways the rules change:
-Any power that would call for a saving throw instead has the power's user roll a power check for that power, with a DC of the related save defense.
-When Toughness would be rolled to determine an attack or power's damage, the power or attack's user instead rolls a damage check. A damage check is 1d20+that attack or power's damage check bonus against a DC of the target's Toughness save defense. Results are per this table:
8NAr
-If a modifier would be involved in either of the proceeding rolls, apply the modifier as follows:
*If it is a temporary modifier that only applies to the roll in question, invert the modifier (changing positive to negative or vice-versa) and apply it to the stat being rolled. For example, repeated uses of Mind Control in one combat on one person usually grant that person a +2 on their saving throws for each use after the first on them. Instead apply a -2 to the power check of whoever is using Mind Control for each use after the first on that person.
*If it is a temporary modifier that lasts longer than the roll in question, mark it down as a temporary modifier to the save defense in question. For example, each application of the Bruised condition applies a -1 to the Toughness save defense of that individual until it is healed or otherwise removed.
*Impervious is checked as normal.

All characters gain Ultimate Effort for free as a bonus feat. However, each of you must take it for a different action, skill, or power. This gives everyone their own significant niche or role, and helps to distinguish you as true heroes a little. Additionally, Ultimate Effort may be used once per story/adventure for free without spending a Hero Point.

Everyone should list a calling for their character - the reason, purpose, or motivation that drives them specifically to heroism. This can be a concept (patriotism or responsibility) or a specific event or background (Thom's character's problems with Trinity, for example). Callings act like complications - if they cause problems for you, you gain a hero point. Additionally, if you stick to a calling under duress or roleplay it well, you can earn hero points for that.

I'm going to be very generous in terms of handing out hero points and may even hand out free uses of extra effort (without fatigue) in return for exciting stunts, good roleplaying, and well-done description. This has the effect of making individual actions matter more - we're looking at you doing cool stuff more instead of just going through the motions.

huntresssig.jpg
Arivia on
«134

Posts

  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Trinity City, Louisiana. 1900 hours, April 2nd, 2012.

    "Coming around on approach."

    "You have permission to land, RK-702."

    "Roger. Flying by now."

    Below, the great expanse of the Gulf of Mexico stretches to the horizon in all directions. Its waves are low and calm, azure ribbons cut up and thrown together by the orange setting sun. A white seagull wings across the water, its black shadow stretching for what looks like a mile.

    The tranquillity is disrupted by the flight of a helicopter - the BRMMMMM of its motor and rotor cutting through the air, displacing wind, pushing the waves into a low crater. The helicopter itself is mostly white, emblazoned with red stripes and blue stars, bearing a surround of dark, tinted glass without reflection.

    "Look down, Senator Hollings." The helicopter soars below and beyond, coasting up and towards a pylon of gray steel flecked with orange and green in the distance. As it nears, the pylon grows in vision and opens up - the nearest section a hollow, choked with boats of myriad colours and shapes crossing to and fro, from large green military tankers to tiny white speedboats. A raft of moored boats clings to one of the pylon's arms, rusting steel gone to green choked with wooden planking and rope bridges. The helicopter flies over the raft, seeing a host of people milling about below, then crosses over an arm of the pylon, all shiny seamed steel. On the far side, another thicket of dwellings dominates the view - yellows and orange this time, ramshackle slums built out of salvage and end pieces. A long laundry line bearing bright red shirts is tied between what were once metal masts; at its base, people cluster around an open-air barbecue, ashen smoke drifting up into the air. The helicopter glides over another steel arm, revealing neat terraces of red brick houses interspersed with groomed and kept brown and green mangrove trees. As the ground lowers towards the edge of the pylon - the thick ring that keeps the sea from rushing in - the houses dwindle out, the mangrove trees filling to a partially flooded forest.

    The helicopter rises again, aiming for a small landing platform extended from the side of the massive steel-and-glass central pylon. A neat yellow H marks the steel there, and refueling paraphernalia and a handful of people wait at the edges. The helicopter hovers over the center of the platform, its dark shadow extending over the figures below. As it lands, the BRMMMM lowers to a rrrrm and then nothing, the tock tock of the slowing rotors left behind.

    One of the figures approaches, a tall man in bulky black security armor, crossed with bright red lines and triangles. He lets his assault rifle drop, swinging on its sling, and opens the door to the helicopter. "Welcome to Trinity City Citadel, Senator Hollings." The senator takes the man's gloved hand - black armor against worn and wrinkled yellowed skin, a gold Rolex watch - and assistance in exiting the helicopter. "I'm Kent Hastings, Director of Security and Police Services."

    2100 hours.

    "Doo doo doo." The guard whistled as he paced the corridor, red livery standing out against the antiseptic white walls, potted shrub, and low blue lighting. Flourescents cut into the ceiling tiles and set low down by the floor glance off the glass doors that cut into the walls.

    The guard keeps pacing.

    Creak goes the glass, a small panel between two metal frames popping out, a furred yellow-green tail snaking through. The tail reaches around blindly, quirking in the air then striking out for the side of the guard, wrapping around a length of black cord. A pull, and an access card comes free, red on white swiping through a black card holder. It glows green, then the tail suddenly retracts as a click echoes down the hallway.

    "Wha?" The guard turns, the loose card thwapping him on the leg. "How'd that come free?"

    From behind, the potted shrub changes. It grows and warps, the branches wrapping around each other and forcing the leaves to the outside, forming a long ropy tendril with a thick head. The shillelagh strikes out at the guard, slamming into the back of his helmet. Urk goes the guard, crashing down on the floor with a "krak!"

    Two figures left the cells.

    2120 hours.

    "bzzt. Agent Haddock, two subjects have escaped the Level C holding cells. Overwatch puts them as heading towards the upper slums. You are cleared to pursue and use non-lethal methods to return. klik."

    The radio went silent again, a man in muted black armor shrugging on his gear and heading out along the catwalks to the outside of the Citadel.

    2130 hours.

    "Shadow, this is Astrid. Something is going on. Two people just exited the Citadel through retaining vent D, heading towards the slum district. They look unusual, perhaps test subjects associated with the biology group.

    Additionally, satellite footage shows fires breaking out in the slums and an unusually high amount of conflicts. Please be careful." A tall, muscled man nodded, clicking a button on a wrist communicator, a yellow light dying with the end of communication.

    He stepped into a nearby shadow...

    ...and appeared elsewhere, the flickering flames nearby cascading over his armour. The shadowy figure crossed to the edge of a rooftop, looking into the courtyard below. The crowded, ramshackle buildings leave narrow alleyways, now filled with burning trash. Down in the courtyard, a woman in a green dress is pushed against a tree, five men circling her. "Help!" she screams. "Mommy!" calls out a frightened child, jammed in a nook at the edge of the courtyard. Two of the men turn, circling in on the child.

    The shadowy man on the rooftop looks up again, only to see three more figures on the opposing, uneven roofs - a catlike woman, something that looks like a plant, and the man in black industrial armor.

    What do you do?

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can Jessica see if the men in the courtyard are armed?

    Captain Carrot on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Shadow eyes the situation for a moment, noting the others present but unsure of how they will factor into his plans. Shadows flickering in the firelight are drawn to him, crawling up his arms till they form knives that seem to drink in the light.
    Roll for initiative: 1d20+4: 23 [1d20=19]
    Powers currently active:
    Force Field
    Damage
    Teleport

    Thomamelas on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, if she sees knives, guns, or anything else that seems particularly dangerous, she shrinks down to six inches (retaining her full normal strength). Otherwise, she hulks up to ten feet, with a corresponding increase in strength. Either way, Jess hops down, intending to have some fun with these mooks.
    Initiative 1d20+8=10
    Powers: Grow or Shrink

    Captain Carrot on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pine sighs at her more gung ho companion. "This is what got us in trouble in the first place." she says as he pulls out her bow and vines start to wrap around her arrows. Her skin changing to a dark brown with a bark like texture.
    Initiative 1d20+17=18(woo rolled a 1)
    Powers:
    Wooded Armor
    Entangling Arrow

    Mazzyx on
    03x29di.png
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    The men in the courtyard are armed. One swings a machete around, its blade gleaming red in the flames.
    Until someone directly interposes themselves, we're not in combat and there's no need for initiative.

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seeing the light gleaming off the blade, the Shadow prepares for action. The air around him darkens as if a cloud passed over the moon above him, and when it passes he is gone. Only to appear behind the trapped young girl with a rush of air. Quickly he wraps his arm around her before he steps back into the shadows, disappearing again, appearing in front of the young mother, his hands grabbing both of their hands. His voice low and harsh. "We're going somewhere safe. Close your eyes and hold on for a moment." Turning to the armed men. "I'll be back for you." A fire bursts as it finds a bit of sap, causing the thug's shadows to rise up and when they return to normal, the three of them are gone from the view of the street, appearing on the roof he just left. The Shadow brings his finger to his lips and ssshhh's the girl. "I'll take you somewhere safer in a little bit, some place with ice cream. But I need to teach the bad men a lesson first." His voice softer, kinder.
    Extra Effort used for Surge
    Action 1: Teleport to the girl.
    Action 2: Teleport to the mother.
    Action 3: Teleport back to the roof.

    Thomamelas on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Now Thom has put you into combat! One action this round for everyone (Thom and Carrot have taken theirs) while the enemies are flat-footed and then on to combat.

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay, so the goons are on top of the roof opposite where we were standing, right? So in order to get to them, I'll have to shift up to normal size and jump again?

    Captain Carrot on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    No, they're all in the plaza. You're on the same level as them now.

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pointing towards the tree with a faint green light, Pine lets out a small noise and set of dust floats out of her mouth and the ground beneath the attackers begins to rumble.
    Plant Control on the 5 guys causing the trees roots to sprout and start entangling them.

    Power check=1d20+6=13 verse their reflex.

    Mazzyx on
    03x29di.png
  • descdesc bare man are locked in Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's a lot more paperwork if one of Trinty's genetic investments dies than a random hostile bystander, so Haddock fires a quick SMG shot on the machete-wielding target.

    desc on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    As the Shadow scoops up the child and grabs the woman, the girl's crying waaaaaah and the woman's sobs are quelled as they return to safety, collapsing on the rooftop.

    Down in the courtyard, the gangsters shout "What the fuck was that?" They grab their weapons, sliding steel pipes and Tec-9s out from under their olive alligator-skin jackets, metal reflecting in the fires. "Come out wherever you are!" the one with the pipe shouts - tallest, biggest, thick with muscle. When the ground shakes with a great craaaack and roots begin to spasm, spurting brown tendrils, they cry again: "Jesus!"

    Finally, the shadowed Trinity operative on the far rooftop takes a clean shot. Rat-tat-a-tat echoes through the air, stilling the sounds of looting in the distance, and one of the gangsters falls, his machete bouncing with a klang! His alligator jacket is dirtied with crimson blood.
    [Character]-[Initiative]-[Defense]-[Fortitude]-[Reflex]-[Will]-[Toughness]-[Conditions]
    The Shadow 23 D 15 F 20 R 20 W 20 T 22
    Enemies 21
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Unconscious, Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Minion)
    Gangbanger D 18 F 18 R 15 W 15 T 18 (Impervious 4)
    Gang Lieutenant D 19 F 18 R 18 W 18 T 18
    James 19 D 16 F 14 R 15 W 15 T 14
    Pine 18 D 20 F 17 R 18 W 14 T 22
    Jessica 10 D 25 (17+8 size) F 17 R 18 W 18 T 17 (Shrunk to Fine)

    Up next: The Shadow (Thomamelas)

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Shadow's head jerks up as I hear the gunfire, noting it's source and making a mental note to deal with them later. Turning from the mother and child, he disappears, appearing behind the two of the gang members. His cape thrown wide as he snarls. "I'm right here." Lunging forward with his shadow knives.
    Teleport to the ground behind two of the gang members.
    Attack: 1d20 + 7 = 10 Missing both of them.

    Thomamelas on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    One of the gangsters pulls a cowl over his head - not just a cowl, a mask that makes him look like he has an olive-gray alligator head, complete with crimson eyes - and begins barking out orders. "Estevez! Cover the dick on the roof! Everyone else, let's pulverize this shit!"

    One of them wheels, firing off a spurt of fire towards James. Tat-tat-tat goes the Tec-9, the hail of bullets missing entirely. The masked gangster turns to the Shadow, the long barrel of a shotgun resting in his hands. He raises it and fires - boom! His aim is true, but something around the Shadow stops the slug in midair, smashed metal bouncing to the ground with a ringing klink. The two other gang members step up next to their leader, pulling down on their triggers. Their bright yellow muzzle flashes illuminate what is surely, from this close, the hero's doom.

    Except it isn't - again, something in the air stops their bullets in their tracks, bits of golden metal tinkling down, bing-bing-bing.

    "What the fuck are you?" the alligator-head screams. "Don't worry boss, I got this!" rumbles the giant, leaping at the Shadow with his length of pipe out-stretched.

    His overhead strike hits the embattled hero - thwok - but looks to have no effect, the Shadow not even flinching.
    [Character]-[Initiative]-[Defense]-[Fortitude]-[Reflex]-[Will]-[Toughness]-[Conditions]
    The Shadow 23 D 15 F 20 R 20 W 20 T 22
    Enemies 21
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Unconscious, Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Minion)
    Gangbanger D 18 F 18 R 15 W 15 T 18 (Impervious 4)
    Gang Lieutenant D 19 F 18 R 18 W 18 T 18
    James 19 D 16 F 14 R 15 W 15 T 14
    Pine 18 D 20 F 17 R 18 W 14 T 22
    Jessica 10 D 25 (17+8 size) F 17 R 18 W 18 T 17 (Shrunk to Fine)

    miss, hit (no damage), crit (no damage), hit (no damage), hit (no damage)

    Next up: James! (desc)

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • descdesc bare man are locked in Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Flinching back from the burst of fire sprayed blindly in his direction, James leans back toward the edge of the roof and lines up a return shot at the shooter.
    pew pew pew!

    Firing on the shooter. (1d20+10=22) vs. [strike]R15[/strike] D18 on a minion.

    Damage on shooter. (1d20+9 =17)

    desc on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Ah, hell." Pine mumbles underneath her breath. Pointing her bow at the man with the mask she releases one of her arrows with a vine at him. "Better bloody work this time."

    Mazzyx on
    03x29di.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jessica eyes the mob and sees the guns again, this time closer up, but she's not worried. I'm far too small for them to hit me. Now let's have some fun! She dashes towards Gator-Face and jumps onto his gun, using it as a springboard to his face, which she carefully clambers up, claws extended for maximum grip. "Let's play tag, boys!" she laughs, and backflips to the pipe-wielding hulk's chestplate. "You're both it!" Jessica is reminded of playing tag with her friends as a child, scampering throughout the old jungle remnants a few miles away from their apartment building. Though this is a wee bit more dangerous. Hah, nobody tagged me then, and they ain't going to do it now either! Finally, she darts up and leaps off his close-cropped hair, landing unharmed a few feet away in the shadows.
    Hero Point and Extra Effort to simulate Redirect on the thug with the gator mask and the one with the pipe
    Feint: 8 bluff + 2 Charisma modifier + 8 attack bonus + 1d20 rolls of 5 and 10 = 23 and 28 versus Wills of 18 and 15
    Used Move-by Action feat to travel to and away from the goons bookending action

    Captain Carrot on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looking the gang leader in the eye, the Shadow responds. "The person who is going to put you down." Thrusting out with both hands, he drives his shadow knives into the chests of the two minions next to the gang leader.
    Attack: Damage (Shadow Knives), Split attack
    1d20+7: 20 [1d20=13]

    Attack 1: 1d20+10: 14 [1d20=4]
    Attack 2: 1d20+10: 30 [1d20=20]

    "I wonder if you ever got over your fear of things that go bump in the night." Darkness swirling around him as his cape flutters in the breeze.
    Using Fearsome Presence.
    1d20+1: 2 [1d20=1] Not so terrifying.

    Thomamelas on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    James' spatter of fire cuts down one of the gang members. "Urk!"

    On the ground, the Shadow strikes out at his attackers. One knife fails to penetrate a gangster's thick alligator coat, the other knocking at a pressure point. "Oof!" the gang member goes, falling down like dead weight.

    Pine's arrow catches the remaining standing gang member unawares, tearing through the leg of his jeans, a thicket of vines spilling out and tying him to the ground. "Hey!"

    Jessica's acrobatics spin the gangbanger and Alligator-Head around. The masked gangster's gun goes off, firing wildly - missing both Jessica, his intended target, and his friends, the shots going "pok-pok-pok" against slum walls. The gangbanger regains his footing however, leveling a true strike against the Shadow. This time the hero's force field is not enough to save him, and he goes "oof!" with the pain from the clanging pipe bash.
    [Character]-[Initiative]-[Defense]-[Fortitude]-[Reflex]-[Will]-[Toughness]-[Conditions]
    The Shadow 23 D 15 F 20 R 20 W 20 T 21 (22 -1 for bruising) (Bruised)
    Enemies 21
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Unconscious, Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Unconscious, Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Unconscious, Minion)
    Gang Member D 16 (18 -2 for being entangled) F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Entangled, Minion)
    Gangbanger D 18 F 18 R 15 W 15 T 18 (Impervious 4)
    Gang Lieutenant D 19 F 18 R 18 W 18 T 18
    James 19 D 16 F 14 R 15 W 15 T 14
    Pine 18 D 20 F 17 R 18 W 14 T 22
    Jessica 10 D 25 (17+8 size) F 17 R 18 W 18 T 17 (Shrunk to Fine)

    Jessica receives one hero point for good roleplaying.

    Next up: James! (desc)

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • descdesc bare man are locked in Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    James raises his eyebrows at the shrinking and leaping, and squints momentarily at Jessica and the gangster through his scope. Escaping confinement by changing size, maybe?

    Adjusting his position slightly, he peers down at the entangled gangster. Nonstandard weapons department gear, sure -- but what's growing all over him?

    No time now. James braces the stock of the gun against his shoulder and pulls back the trigger.

    The shot whizzes by the gangster as he writhes wildly against the vines.

    "Damnit Jimmy, concentrate."
    (Haven't been able to get invisiblecastle to respond yet this AM. can anyone get on the site?)

    Okay, I used random.org and rolled ... 4. 4 + 10 < 16. darn you, random.org!

    desc on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    you don't need to use ic. or whatever. I don't care. random.org's fine in a pinch.

    also one hero point for good roleplaying.

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "It worked! Hey Jessica! Look it worked! I actually tangled someone!" Pine yells pointing to the one now covered in ever thickening vines. "Hey Jessica, I be I can do it again! Hey guy who got hit by the pipe hold on!"

    She lines up the shot releasing another arrow with a quivering vine on the end at the gangbanger with the pipe.
    Attack:1d20+10=22
    Entangle:1d20+6=18

    I am using WoTC one, since it is built for the d20 stuff anyways.

    Mazzyx on
    03x29di.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jessica stamps her foot, irritated that the goon with the gun isn't cooperating. She creeps up behind him slowly, slinking along in the shadows, waiting for the perfect time to strike. He shifts his weight slightly from foot to foot, and she sees her chance. Launching herself forth and up, Jessica somersaults and kicks both feet into the back of his knee, hitting tender flesh covered only by cloth, and causing him to stagger. "You hafta tag him yourself, dummy! You're still it!"
    Hero point expended initially to avoid Fatigue
    Attack Bonus 8 + 1d20 = 27 against 19
    Damage base 4 + 1d20 = 21

    Captain Carrot on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looking the gang leader in the eye, The Shadow's face is covered by a mass of squirming darkness, only his eyes and mouth exposed and clear of the shifting shadows. "Your friend is a big one. I even felt that last blow." With a quick turn and pivot he brings his hands together, the darkness in his hands merging and lengthening as he plunges the blade into the big thugs chest.
    Attacking the one with the lead pipe.
    1d20+7: 26 [1d20=19]
    1d20+15: 33 [1d20=18]

    His voice a low rasp as he looks to gang leader, not bothering to watch the big thug sink to his knees "Tell me, are you afraid of the dark?" Laughing as darkness begins billowing out of his cape, filling the plaza.
    Free Action: Switching powers from teleport to Darkness Control.
    Extra Effort
    Standard action: Extending the darkness to my maximum rank. So a 50 x 50 x 50 cube of darkness fills the area.
    And I move over three feet to my left.

    Thomamelas on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    *Bap!* goes Jessica's punch, the alligator head crumpling in from the force of a strong blow from such a tiny first.

    "Urk!" goes the gangbanger, dropping his pipe as Pine's tendrils tie him to the ground, just before the Shadow knocks him unconscious, going limp in his verdant prison.

    "Fuck this shit! I'm getting out of here!" The head yells out, running out of the plaza.

    The tied up gang member gulps. "Boss? Boss?" He fires off a flurry into the darkness - *pop pop pop* - but misses the stealthy Shadow.
    [Character]-[Initiative]-[Defense]-[Fortitude]-[Reflex]-[Will]-[Toughness]-[Conditions]
    The Shadow 23 D 15 F 20 R 20 W 20 T 21 (22 -1 for bruising) (Bruised)
    Enemies 21
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Unconscious, Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Unconscious, Minion)
    Gang Member D 18 F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Unconscious, Minion)
    Gang Member D 16 (18 -2 for being entangled) F 17 R 15 W 15 T 17 (Entangled, Minion)
    Gangbanger D 16 (18 -2 for being entangled) F 18 R 15 W 15 T 18 (Unconscious, Impervious 4)
    Gang Lieutenant D 19 F 18 R 18 W 18 T 17 (18 -1 for being bruised) (Bruised)
    James 19 D 16 F 14 R 15 W 15 T 14
    Pine 18 D 20 F 17 R 18 W 14 T 22
    Jessica 10 D 25 (17+8 size) F 17 R 18 W 18 T 17 (Shrunk to Fine)

    Jessica receives one hero point for good roleplaying.

    Next up: James! (desc)

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • descdesc bare man are locked in Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Who turned off all the ... Oh, hell."

    James hastily slings his weapon across his back and tugs the strap tight as he begins sprinting after the fleeing gangster. Leaping across a rooftop patchwork of orange and gray corrugated metal, he manages to close the gap as the thug zig-zags left down a narrower alley.
    acrobatics: 1d20 + 12 acro + 5 dex = 29 vs DC20
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2881345/

    desc on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "What the?" Pine screeches as the darkness falls over her. She walks forward using her sense of vibration to find then edge, she the jumps from the roof to the plaza coming up in with an arrow. She feels the man struggling in front of her who is snared and the one running off out of the plaza. She also feels a lighter object which she figures is probably Jessica. She aims towards the larger one that is running and lets loose her knocked arrow. As she does, she yells "Jessica watch out!" Hoping her companion wouldn't some how get in the way.
    I think I need an acrobatics check to make my landing in the dark and roll up like that.

    1d20+20=35 acrobatics

    Attack roll:1d20+10=30 (I rolled a natural 20, felt odd posting it cause it seems like cheating)

    Mazzyx on
    03x29di.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh, hell no, you are not running away. I'm not finished with you yet! Jessica dropped onto all fours and grew quickly, running as she swelled. One moment she detoured slightly around a soccer ball, next she leapt over an upright trashcan. Jessica gloried in the thrill of the chase, catching her claws on the pavement, flexing all four back knees, and flinging herself over everything in her path with wild abandon. Soon she caught up with him, by now the size and weight of a tractor-trailer, and decided to play some more. Jessica latched her arm around a streetlight post and twisted around to face Gator-guise. "Game's not over, chump," she growled, baring her teeth.
    Change from Fine to Huge, +16 Strength to 34, +8 Constitution to 24
    Move action to catch up with gang leader
    Intimidate check: 8 ranks in Intimidate +2 Charisma modifier + 4 Huge versus Medium + 1d20 = 20 against gangster's Intimidate/Sense Motive/Will

    Captain Carrot on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whispering under his breath, "Tonight is apparently amateur night." He releases the darkness around him, drawing it inwards with a rush of air as he disappears from sight. Only to appear in front of the fleeing gangleader. "Perhaps you'd like to finish what you started." The Shadow reaches out but just misses with a shadow knife.
    Free action: Releasing the shadow power.
    Free action: Changing to teleport power.
    Move Action: Teleport in front of him
    Standard Action: An attack via my damage power.

    1d20+7: 12 [1d20=5]

    Thomamelas on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Pine's arrow goes screaming around the plaza - bing! thwok! chok! - ricocheting until it lands near the already trapped gangster. "Ow!" he screams as he's covered in more vines.

    The running gang leader collapses as Jessica and the Shadow bear down on him. "Who are you? What do you want?!"
    exit combat.

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "I want to play tag, dammit!" Jessica growls, crouching as she prepares to pounce. "Now run, or I'll pound you!"
    Will this require a Diplomacy check for my appearance drawback, or is his intimidation overriding that?

    Captain Carrot on
  • descdesc bare man are locked in Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    James' hand hovers next his TriniTooth earpiece for a moment before he lets it drop. He straightens up and glances back and forth between the two groups of escapees / unconscious criminals.

    desc on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hiding his disgust, Frank looks at the freak standing in front of him before he looks down at the gang leader. "This city is protected. I would suggest you find a real line of work because you aren't enough of a predator for this one." Slowly looking up, his hooded face meeting Jessica's "You, your friend with the arrows and the Trinity Goon with you meet me on the rooftop in a few minutes." Contempt dripping from his voice, not bothering to hide it as shadows burst out of his body only to fade away quickly as he disappears.

    Reappearing on the rooftop he started from, he reaches out to the mother and child. "Lets get you somewhere safe for the night. And I promised ice cream." Taking their hands and stepping into the shadows with them, they appear in his well lit headquarters. "Astrid, there are two people with me. Give them access to the living areas." His mask stilled, looking like a simple cloth mask. "You can spend tonight here and we'll find you somewhere very safe tomorrow morning. And there is ice cream in the freezer. "

    Thomamelas on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jessica seethes inwardly at the shadow-man's treatment, but looks back at the thug and chuckles. "He's right, you're no match for me. Get the hell out of here." She lopes easily back to where she and Pine had been standing and leaps up to the roof, shrinking on the way so as not to do damage to the building. This guy's dangerous. Took the meathead out in one hit. I guess he's not going to play with me. Though if he did, damn, that would be fun.

    Captain Carrot on
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    The lights dim red as you teleport in, followed by blue as Astrid recognizes the Shadow and then green once your command has been issued. "Yes sir. Mother and child, you will be safe here. Hard or soft ice cream, girl?"

    The mother turns to you, clutching her daughter tightly, tears running down her face. "Thank you. But - who are you?"

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    The lights dim red as you teleport in, followed by blue as Astrid recognizes the Shadow and then green once your command has been issued. "Yes sir. Mother and child, you will be safe here. Hard or soft ice cream, girl?"

    The mother turns to you, clutching her daughter tightly, tears running down her face. "Thank you. But - who are you?"

    He turns and smiles at the pair. "You can call me The Shadow. I'm afraid I still have some other things to do tonight. In the morning we can figure out something more long term." With a dramatic flourish, he wraps his cape around himself and it just seems to fold into space as he teleports to the rooftop. Finding a nice dark spot, he fades from view.
    Switching from Force Field to invisibility.

    Thomamelas on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When Shadow-man comes back, Jessica will attempt Diplomacy before he speaks to get him to stop being a dick. DC 10 for 8 ranks of Diplomacy plus 2 Charisma plus 1d20, so do I even have to roll?

    Captain Carrot on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Walks over to the squirming and entangled gang member grinning. "I want some information. You can tell me what you were about ready to do. Why you were doing it. Whats with the lizard mask. And where did you get the gun. You tell me that and I can give you something you want, like being out of vines."
    Trying my best to make this diplomacy and not intimidate because I am not great at intimidate.

    Diplomacy check-15+1d20=30

    Mazzyx on
    03x29di.png
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited February 2011
    "Uh uh - we were gonna be kings! We were gonna rule this island! Just had to take out those fucking Lobos and then these slums would be ours!"

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.