Options

How to get someone to like the greatest show of all time?

2»

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Watching the first 3 episodes of a show is just about the definition of 'giving it a chance'. If you still think he hasn't given it a chance, you're just being insulting to him.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Even if you and he have liked the exact same things up until this point, his dislike of something newly introduced to him doesn't automatically mean that he's just bailing on it because he can't be bothered. And hell, even if he is, why not let him?

Sure, I guess it sucks if you're really invested in AD and it defines your whole life and hobbies and your new AD-based religion means you can no longer see each other, but... y'know. I'm assuming in reality it's just a show you happen to like, and it just so happens that your bro doesn't dig it. And is that really such a big deal?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oldsak wrote: »
    My girlfriend didn't like AD until I sat down and watched it with her.

I told her she probably didn't think it was funny originally because there isn't any canned or audience laughter.

Canned laughter is the absolute worst thing to introduce to a comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

Is it me, or is the only way to watch TBBT either not at all or in short youtube clips? Watching full episodes can be painful.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Firefly Yes!

AD.... Never did it for me. IT was like an attractive chick with a bad laugh.

And I originally thought this was a Big Bang Theory thread.

But point is.. Not everyone likes everything.

IE My Ex-wife loved CSI, yet when I tried to get her into a detective anime, that essentially shared a lot of parrells at times, she didn't buy it.

So be respectful, and remember, we each form our own opinions in time, and maybe one day he'll pick it up and go, what the hell, nothing else to do, and watch another episode.

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I loved Seinfeld and AD, can't stand It's Always Sunny. Not every show about assholes is going to click with everyone.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oldsak wrote: »
    My girlfriend didn't like AD until I sat down and watched it with her.

I told her she probably didn't think it was funny originally because there isn't any canned or audience laughter.

Canned laughter is the absolute worst thing to introduce to a comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

Is it me, or is the only way to watch TBBT either not at all or in short youtube clips? Watching full episodes can be painful.

omg thank you. You're the first person I can relate to about the big bang theory. my world is complete.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't stand TBBT, it is like they take a joke, rip its soul out, shove it in your face and then laugh at you.

I don't get it are they laughing at or with us?

They are laughing at you fools.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I find most network television mind-rendingly dull.

My brain gives its two weeks of notice when I try to watch it.

I still don't fault people who like network TV.

MKR on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From a different perspective:

I absolutely hate it when people tell me "Oh just give it a chance, you'll like it after the first few episodes" over and over again about a show

If I've tried watching it and said I disliked it, why can't they respect that and let me be? If you keep bugging me about it I'm just going to get irritated and will be doubly unlikely to watch any show you recommend me.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I can understand that for most shows but when the show is critically acclaimed and constantly on "best show of all time!" lists I think you can at least slog through it at least for the education. I mean it isn't well like and highly rated for no reason, but maybe I am just weird like that. I will watch a show I don't like and read reviews to see what the show did well and what it didn't so I can learn from other peoples perspectives.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Half the ratings on most things are bought. The rest are the minority of the human population who enjoyed it.

Ratings mean nothing to an individual who doesn't care for something.

MKR on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I can understand that for most shows but when the show is critically acclaimed and constantly on "best show of all time!" lists I think you can at least slog through it at least for the education. I mean it isn't well like and highly rated for no reason, but maybe I am just weird like that. I will watch a show I don't like and read reviews to see what the show did well and what it didn't so I can learn from other peoples perspectives.

There has been much worse that has been much more popular.

Maybe he just doesn't care about entertainment/pop culture to do in-depth research and analysis like you do.

Really, just let it go.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    Half the ratings on most things are bought. The rest are the minority of the human population who enjoyed it.

I highly highly doubt fox "bought" the ratings for this show. They pretty much sent it to die.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fizban, that thing I just said? You're doing it right now

My hackles are raising and I'm starting to frown

Seriously, it doesn't matter how "acclaimed" or "best" something is, if he doesn't like it no amount of badgering is going to change his mind and will probably only start to irritate the fuck out of him

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

I highly highly doubt fox "bought" the ratings for this show. They pretty much sent it to die.

I didn't mean viewer numbers when I said ratings. I don't watch TV enough to remember that "ratings" mean that in this context.

MKR on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2011
    Dude, it's not Shakespeare or The Iliad or some other classic that you slog through just to look educated. It's a TV show about jerks.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Usagi wrote: »
    Fizban, that thing I just said? You're doing it right now

My hackles are raising and I'm starting to frown

Seriously, it doesn't matter how "acclaimed" or "best" something is, if he doesn't like it no amount of badgering is going to change his mind and will probably only start to irritate the fuck out of him

MandyGrimAdventures.gif

As Boom has pointed out, some really awful shows are critically acclaimed and/or really popular. Like Seinfeld and Friends, two shows I would rather vomit for hours (and I am mentally upset on a deep level to near panic attacks by vomiting) than watch 10 minutes of.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    It's a TV show about jerks.

This... just doesn't strike me as true. Dysfunctional yes. Jerks.... maybe only a couple of them.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jerks, assholes, dysfunctional, ignorant, spoiled, it doesnt matter how you describe them

the result is the same

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dude, it's not Shakespeare or The Iliad or some other classic that you slog through just to look educated. It's a TV show about jerks.

I don't really want to argue this but I do want to get my point of view across and I think I failed so far...

It IS the Iliad of modern comedy though. It would be like not watching South Park because it is a crude comedy about children, that is not the show at all though for anyone who has actually seen it. It is a satire of our society, AD is similar in that regard in that there is more than just some jerks being jerks and stuff.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »

I don't really want to argue this but I do want to get my point of view across and I think I failed so far...

It IS the Iliad of modern comedy though. It would be like not watching South Park because it is a crude comedy about children, that is not the show at all though for anyone who has actually seen it. It is a satire of our society, AD is similar in that regard in that there is more than just some jerks being jerks and stuff.
    Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But plenty of people have no use for or interest in the show. I've seen a few episodes and found them thoroughly unpleasant. I couldn't care less what critics say about a show.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sure, I can see why people like it and I have a ton of friends who do, and its great that you feel so strongly about it!

but... it seems like you're having a tough time understanding why someone doesn't like it. I get it! Some people don't like Justice League or the powerpuff girls! I might be tempted to call those people crimes against humanity, but people have this thing. Its called different preferences

and its perfectly alright

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2011
    Yeah we're not going to sit here and discuss the merits or flaws of a sitcom. You have all the advice you're probably going to get out of this thread and you don't seem interested in it, so I'm locking it.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.