As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superbowl Commercials Threaaaaad

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zimfan wrote: »
    The Super 8 trailer almost makes me cry

it's like my childhood imagination put into a movie

such a strange feeling

What is Super 8 about? Aliens from Roswell escaping mid move to camp David or something?

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My whole take on the Volkswagen Vader Kid was very simple.

I watched it.

I was jealous that cars didn't have auto-key-start in 1983.

I was jealous of that kid's awesome Darth Vader costume.

I watched it on youtube again.

Then I realized that they didn't tell that kid to act, that's just a bunch of folks telling him:

"Okay, Darth, you can use The Force one time today, only once. You won't know when it's gonna happen, but when it does, it's gonna be better than waffles with maple syrup in every square!"

And then they filmed it.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I watched it.

Then I realized that they didn't tell that kid to act, that's just a bunch of folks telling him:

"Okay, Darth, you can use The Force one time today, only once. You won't know when it's gonna happen, but when it does, it's gonna be better than waffles with maple syrup in every square!"

And then they filmed it.

I like thinking that the "kid" is really a dwarf. Who's like, 39 years old. They probably started with a real little kid but it didn't turn out how they wanted so they just re shot it with the pro actor.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I watched it.

And then they filmed it.

I like thinking that the "kid" is really a dwarf. Who's like, 39 years old. They probably started with a real little kid but it didn't turn out how they wanted so they just re shot it with the pro actor.

He's more machine than kid now- twisted and evil.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The House "Hey kid" commercial was pretty funny. Would have been better if they hadn't just redone it last year or so with Polamalu's Hair.

The biggest thing that annoyed me was all the Fox promos. I mean, I get they're going to advertise Idol, and the one where they kind of promote all their shows with the football tossing theme was fine, but then they had to show, like, 20 damn commercials for Glee and all their Thursday night comedies, or something, I don't even. It got annoying.

Doritos continues to have great SB ads. Movie trailers were pretty good, PepsiMax commercial where the lady knocks out the white chick with the can had me and my girlfriend rolling, because we could see that happening to us.

oh, yeah, and that Limitless movie looks dumb as fuck.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only one that made me legit laugh was the Reply All one.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2011
    I didn't like a lot of the commercials this year. That "Here We Go" thing Bud Light keeps doing just keeps getting worse, Pepsi Max basically shit all over everything, and there was like, one good Doritos commercial out of the thirty they aired. Also I saw a thing that said people "eagerly anticipate" new GoDaddy.com ads, and I want to know who they are so I can slap them.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Peter Stormare is the best.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah doritos commercials this year were WEEAAAAKKKKK compared to last year

really disappointing year for SB commercials

Raneados on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I liked the two coca-cola commercials, the one with the fantasy war and the foreign legionnaire type dudes

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Godfather on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually liked the NFL ad with all the TV shows reedited to show them watching the super bowl.

When the Fonz hit that flatscreen to turn it on I burst out laughing.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I remember budweiser and pepsi having good commercials in the past and now they're just not even trying

like "fuck it, it's a beer commercial, drunks will be all over that shit if we toss in a couple ladies with big tits"

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hey, Budweiser had one good commercial, the Tiny Dancer one

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also yeah that imported from Detroit ad was great work.

When I visited my cousins there last year...man its such a sad city.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

such a strange feeling

i don't understand

your childhood imagination was an extremely ambiguous commercial about a train crashing and something breaking out of it?

Raneados on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    facetious wrote: »
    The only one I really liked was the Bridgestone one with the chipmunk paying that dude back for not running him over.

C-chipmunk? Really?

Whatever it was.

I wasn't paying close enough attention to perform clinical studies!!

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I remember budweiser and pepsi having good commercials in the past and now they're just not even trying

like "fuck it, it's a beer commercial, drunks will be all over that shit if we toss in a couple ladies with big tits"
    Pepsi and Dorito's don't actually make their super bowl commercials

They run a contest for people to make their own and vote for the winners. Still doesn't seem to help.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HOLD ME CLOSER TINY DAAAAANCER

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    The only one I really liked was the Bridgestone one with the chipmunk paying that dude back for not running him over.

C-chipmunk? Really?

Whatever it was.

I wasn't paying close enough attention to perform clinical studies!!

I want you to make a list of animals that cut down trees

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

They run a contest for people to make their own and vote for the winners. Still doesn't seem to help.

so what you're saying is that they're even lazier than I thought (pepsi, at least, I knew about the doritos thing)

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    no animals cut down trees but humans

who's the real animal?
    beavers

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    horses do it too but the government keeps that quiet

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

oh hey Geebs! So last night I wound up in Chicago walked from the Bottom Lounge to the Five Star Lounge. When my mom found out today at our super bowl party she freak and was amazed I was not killed.

I mean the snow was bad sure....

Bucketman on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

so what you're saying is that they're even lazier than I thought (pepsi, at least, I knew about the doritos thing)
    We worked on a commercial shoot for the competition, and even though it was mostly dorito's we did some Pepsi Max ones too.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »

oh hey Geebs! So last night I wound up in Chicago walked from the Bottom Lounge to the Five Star Lounge. When my mom found out today at our super bowl party she freak and was amazed I was not killed.

I mean the snow was bad sure....

I don't know what any of this means aside from "Chicago," "Lounge," and "Super Bowl." Possibly "mom," also.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

We worked on a commercial shoot for the competition, and even though it was mostly dorito's we did some Pepsi Max ones too.

I hope you know this means I will hold you both personally responsible for the quality of these commercials. All of them. Not just the ones you worked on.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    you know what really weirded me out
    the whole montage at the beginning with MLK, JFK, the moon landing, Rosa Parks, the Depression
    and SUPERBOWL XLV

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

such a strange feeling

What is Super 8 about? Aliens from Roswell escaping mid move to camp David or something?

I think it's a "Bold new re-imagining of E.T., inspired by the success of Dark Knight." Making it "gritty and realistic."

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    video game tie-in video game tie-in video game tie-in

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well I guess, was she right? I mostly only know downtown. I guess we walked from West Lake Street to Chicago Ave. The snow drifts on the sidewalks sucked ass but shes been freaking out about it.

I assume you know more about the city then I do

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ubik wrote: »

I think the core idea could've worked if they'd used fake tragedies, a la 30 Rock's sendup of similarly self-aggrandizing "celebrity philanthropy" from a few week's back.

Using real problems as a launchpad for jokes is just kinda tacky.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

such a strange feeling

I think it's a "Bold new re-imagining of E.T., inspired by the success of Dark Knight." Making it "gritty and realistic."

Oh...this sounds gross

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

such a strange feeling

Oh...this sounds gross

I'm just guessing

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ubik wrote: »

I think the core idea could've worked if they'd used fake tragedies, a la 30 Rock's sendup of similarly self-aggrandizing "celebrity philanthropy" from a few week's back.

Using real problems as a launchpad for jokes is just kinda tacky.
    Eeeeeh

the fact that they do help the charities they made fun of evens it out I think

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

such a strange feeling

Oh...this sounds gross
    Skragg it is made by Speilberg and JJ Abrams.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    JJ Abrams of Cloverfield and Postal: The Movie fame?

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    JJ Abrams MY NEMESIS!

Also while I love Speilberg, well he greenlit the last Indiana Jones movie and I can't forgive that. Though him producing Robopocalypse might help

Bucketman on