As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Power Supply question

NovafoxNovafox Registered User regular
So, I'm thinking of grabbing a second ATI HD 5870 on the cheap, to run in a Crossfire configuration. But before I pull the trigger on that I was wondering if my PSU is up to snuff? Computer specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
4x2gig DDR3 1600 RAM
ATI HD 5870
Creative X-FI XtremeGamer sound card
1TB SATA 7200RPM HDD
Xtreamgear 700W PSU

If I've missed any information, I'll gladly update this to add it in. I tried googling for answers, but I'm getting mixed results with that, so I thought I'd turn to a community I trust.

Edit: While I remember, no overclocking done, everything is at stock speeds/voltages.

steam_sig.png
Novafox on

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Novafox wrote: »
    So, I'm thinking of grabbing a second ATI HD 5870 on the cheap, to run in a Crossfire configuration. But before I pull the trigger on that I was wondering if my PSU is up to snuff?

Xtreamgear 700W PSU
    A quick scan of Google implies that the PSU is un-good. Even though the paper specs look okay, what I've read is that they are very deceptive and the PSU can't deliver what it claims it can.

The $36 price tag (from the company's site) along with no 80+ certification (power efficiency) and no PFC in any PSU manufactured in the past few years sets of alarms in my head. Even most "generic" PSUs will feature those because a lot of designs are produced by one company and then licensed to manufacturers who can choose whatever components they like to produce them.

Personally, I wouldn't put any more load on it than you already are with your current setup to be safe.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    NovafoxNovafox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the advice, going to go ahead and snag this combo deal off newegg, its the video card I planned on grabbing and a new PSU.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.593441

Edit: bad link

Novafox on
    steam_sig.png