As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motorola SB120 Modem: Thoughts?

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
Last night at a Super Bowl party, I chatted up with some dudes who seemed like hardcore PC users. They immediately recommended that I invest in this Motorola 6120 Modem, which according to them will triple, if not quadruple, my internet speed once I replace the standard modem Comcast supplied me at no extra cost. They also said since Comcast endorses the modem, all I have to do is call them up upon installation and I'll be instantly upgraded to download speeds at 2.5mb per second at no extra cost.

Sounds quite awesome, but I wanted to verify with you guys the pros and/or cons of doing this. Will every internet connection in the house benefit from this, including Xbox Live, wireless connections and WiFi on iPhones? Is there any reason I shouldn't invest in this?

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sounds like snake oil. I can't imagine any reason that Comcast's modem wouldn't be providing you the maximum speed for the connection you're paying for. Though in general, if you're going to be on the service for more than a year, it makes sense to buy your own modem (the break-even point is usually like eight to ten months, and that's before accounting for the fact that you can resell it).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's not snake oil, but any performance benefits depend on if his current modem doesn't support DOCSIS 3.0, and if Comcast has added support for it in his area.

Installation is pretty much that easy if you decide to buy it, though. You'll have to give them a call to get the modem switched out, then return the one you're renting.

This link seems to have info on if DOCSIS 3.0 has been launched in your market:
    http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQListViewer.aspx?topic=Internet&folder=5acf957c-c9ac-4b82-9098-ce88678cc311

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well according to that link, DOCSIS 3.0 is indeed supported in my area.

So should I go for it, or check with Comcast first to see if the modem I'm renting is already supporting that speed?

It's about 2 years old, so I kind of doubt it does.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It should just take a google search on your modem's model to check.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This is the one I got.

Seems it only goes to DSOCSIS 1.0. I'm finding more and more reasons to nab the Motorola, unless Comcast upgrades the modem for free (doubt it).

But I want to make sure it's not just my download speed that'll increase; I'm hoping for a big improvement in all areas, from web browsing to streaming videos to Xbox Live and PS3.

• Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just ordered a 6120 due to the rather absurd $7/month modem rental fee, but I don't think you're going to see a significant speed increase, unless you order a speed upgrade along with your new modem.

Fats on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fats wrote: »
    I just ordered a 6120 due to the rather absurd $7/month modem rental fee, but I don't think you're going to see a significant speed increase, unless you order a speed upgrade along with your new modem.

That was my thinking; I couldn't see any reason why a DOCSIS 1.0 modem couldn't handle his current speed.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well again, supposedly Comcast will upgrade my speed for free once I get the new modem.

At least that's what those guys said, and the Amazon description seems to say as much.

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The DOCSIS 3.0 modem will allow you to connect at DOCSIS 3 speed if you're area supports it. It worked for me when I had Comcast.

I will also recommend you look into the Motorola gateway as well just to weigh your options.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122014

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I called Comcast, and they verified that the modem does what it claims to do. They have their own, which can be upgraded for free, but we decided to purchase the one at Amazon to avoid paying rental fees.

Also, Amazon now has a feature that lets you use your Amex reward points to pay for items. Turns out we had $293 saved in points, so woo. :)

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Modem arrived today, took about an hour with Comcast help desk.

My speed settings: 1152090617.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I miss my comcast connection 25/5 Mbps, my family and I just couldn't afford it. Now I'm on a stinking 12/1.5 Mbps DSL AT&T connection.

Edit: there is a big difference between 5 & 25 Mbps upload speed.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Boohoo, I've only got 12mb internet! Be lucky you don't live in Ireland where the market is monopolised by the most incompetent telecomms company in the world, where 7mb is the maximum speed available to home users and considered fast!

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rohan wrote: »
    Boohoo, I've only got 12mb internet! Be lucky you don't live in Ireland where the market is monopolised by the most incompetent telecomms company in the world, where 7mb is the maximum speed available to home users and considered fast!

Believe me I do understand, it wasn't until the local monopoly we had ended that my area started to get these speed options. I had AOL dial up all through the 90s until 2004 because that was the only option that my family could afford.

When I move I'll probably be screwed like you are since I want to move to a country area.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was out in the country from the mid 90's to about 2007 - at around 2006 we acquired broadband, but a shitty 1mb wireless deal that was terrible for gaming. Eircom said we were too far to get ADSL (at three and a half miles away from the exchange). Oh, but in late 2007, other companies started offering it to those areas, and Eircom had a sudden change of heart and a big advertising campaign to follow. They're still only supplying them with 3mb broadband tops, but the fact that it was possible to get it for years while Eircom swore it wasn't and dragged it's heels until the competition arrived, offered services, and started making money.

Argh, I hate Eircom. Currently on a 7mb dealie now, which is the fastest speed offered to home users in the country. Whenever Eircom gets off their rear ends they'll start upgrading the rest of the country to ADSL2 and at maximum we'll get a speed of 18mb. Whenever they upgrade it, that will be our connection for years to come I think - Eircom doesn't have the money to upgrade the country's infrastructure, and the country itself certainly doesn't.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    When Comcast moved in they had to dig up streets everywhere in the old areas out there. They had to replace all the old T1 lines with Fiber. AT&T has been laying Fiber trunk lines for years to support the back bone of their U-verse set ups.

Here in the states the ISPs will run lines to the more remote areas, if the people are willing to pay for it. I've heard a few stories from people asking to set up wireless bridges because it would cost them a few grand to get cables run straight to their house. I'm expecting to have to lay cable or pay someone to do it if I can't get a WiMax option.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With roadrunner here the download speed is good but the upload is bad. We have an older Motorola than the one you got. I wonder upgrading to the newer modem would improve the upload speed at all.

1163095988.png

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That depends on two things, how old the router is in regards to what it supports. And of course what protocols Roadrunner uses. Are they DOCSIS 1.x, 2.0 or have they started to roll out DOCSIS 3 like Comcast? You really need to find out what your area is running, Time Warner's network is a mess.

Check to see if you have any other local options if you're able to change providers.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Nice to know it worked out well for you, but I was also surprised ISPs out there are still using DOCSIS 1. Everyone I know with a 1.0 modem in Omaha got their modem replaced for free with a 2.0/3.0 compatible one by Cox Cable, and nowadays they give you a SBV5222 for free (has to go back if you end your service, but no renting fee) with each new install or reinstall from moving..

FyreWulff on