As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]Why did Riot servers go down for ten hours on patch day? For rest.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am actually going to piecemeal your post. Apologies.
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Aegis sucks, especially on Shen
    Why on Shen especially? What is it about Shen that makes him different from other tanks/toons in getting the item?
    especially as a first item
    It's at its best as a first item, as getting it during the stage of the game where the opposing team has the least magic and physical penetration provides the biggest comparative bonus to your teammates' survivability.
    since Aegis is only okay for team fights
    It takes about 10 minutes to farm Aegis + Boots; almost perfect for you to have a) your ult up and b) 3+ man teamfights to start around dragon.
    and only against teams with mixed damage.
    This isn't intended offensively, but at most ELOs, teams will mix their damage types. Only people who don't have the slightest clue (or are playing for lols) stack a single damage type.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i like that in 3's nisi. can be good if you got a decent initiator. in 5's though, when people see mundo they all lock carries cause mundo is loltank.

fiz... what don't you like about aegis? it is a little expensive to get, but i still can't see how you wouldn't like it. i don't think it should be on a tank though, it should be picked up by off tank or support.

edit: I agree with everything bethryn said up there. also, on mixed damage. since auto attacks are physical, and most skills are magic, you will be taking mixed damage, but most of the burst you take will be magic early. most of the time.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Shen does better with early health or straight resists for his lane, aegis is only good in team fights which won't be happening too often early. Shen's greatest strength as a tank is his ability to dominate lanes he is in and you need to play on that strength the most.

I agree completely with Feldorn, Aegis is not a tank item, it is off tank or support.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    0/2/1 with gragas on a team that went 4 kills 20 deaths with an enemy Kat scoring 18 of those kills

Both deaths were from TPs trying to save the day as the whole team runs away from incoming gragas abandoning him to 1 overfed dps

I then hold off the top tower from Galio, Pants, GP, and Jax for 5 waves (wait until minions arrive, barrel, body slam minions, ult all the players away) while my team runs around trying to 1v1 Kat and losing every time before we finally surrender

TF died 10 times all the while bawling 'hate katarina so muuuuuccchhhh'

The one time she went to the tower with the other 4 me and nunu got her the closest she ever was to death the whole game before she flashed away into her team

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I prefer sunfire, FoN then usually Randuins. Warmogs is nice though because I am pretty sure shen has really low HP compared to other tanks.

I've been wondering why everyone recommends FoN on Shen, over, say, a Banshee's Veil, since it doesn't give any HP.

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I've recently really got in to Mundo, so much so that I bought Corporate Mundo. What a boners good skin.

Had some questions about playing him well though.

1) How should he start itemwise? I've tried boots + pots, cloth armor + pots, and doran's shield and none have given me really satisfying presence pre-6. I could have just been unlucky with lane opposition, though (Shen + Taric in one, Sion + another Mundo in another, Nidalee + Nunu in a third).

2) Does his Q proc life steal or spell vamp? What about his W? I ask because I'm told I should be getting Emblem of Valor earlier (on the way to Starks of course).

3) How should I be acting in lane? I know Mundo seems like he's capable at zoning with Q plus the threat of beefy melee hits, but it seems like when I try I end up eating more damage than I give out.

4) PC LOAD LETTER? WHAT THE MUNDO DOES THAT MEAN!?

I was a big fan of Doran's + pot before the nerf but I'd go for a Health Bead + 6 Health Pots (play ultra aggressively) or boots + 3 pots. Mundo's a strong enough character that you stand a strong chance of scoring first bloods if you can get in your opponent's face.

Nothing but his E has any effect with Life Steal, his other skills probably proc spell vamp but I can't imagine it's worth buying any. Mundo scales incredibly with attack speed, but I feel like health is more important in the midgame. Stark's is very expensive and none of the items that build into it are particularly useful. I'd build Spirit Visage, Phage, Chain Vest, and Frozen Mallet before I start Stark's.

Mundo has a stronger lane presence than any other champion. If you have a decent partner or your opponents aren't very strong in lane, you should be able to trade blows and come out ahead. If you're taking more damage than you're giving out, your partner isn't helping you or you aren't pushing hard enough. Nobody goes toe-to-toe with mundo and comes out alive

TannerMS on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I prefer sunfire, FoN then usually Randuins. Warmogs is nice though because I am pretty sure shen has really low HP compared to other tanks.

I've been wondering why everyone recommends FoN on Shen, over, say, a Banshee's Veil, since it doesn't give any HP.

BV is usually a pretty bad item for a tank, the passive is expensive and it is worthless on a tank. It will block one spell, one spell is nothing to a tank he is going to get hit by at least a dozen in a fight, the straight mitigation from FoN is much better, combined with the health regen and movement speed, speed is key on shen for chasing down and controlling fights.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I dont usually leave lane as shen till about level 7-8 and 2.5k gold or more.

With that said I dont really like warmogs on shen. It doesn't do anything for your team. I would much rather get a frozen mallet than get a warmogs, at least that way I can constantly slow someone down. Regen from a FoN is usally enough without the added regen from warmogs.

Also 11 pot + ward/13 pot (if no jungle) start on mundo is the best.

Draygo on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Emblem in the starks is pretty sweet. Health regen and life steal, yes please.

Drool on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    when I play MF double up hits the creep next to the champion every time

when I play against MF double up hits me every time

Jars on
  • Options
    BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The madreds/banshee/rylai's build on teemo is disgusting. I was wrecking ww at 8/0/7 but 7-1 teemo with that build ate me alive with blind/shield/slow.

Batmantis on
    Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My Shen build skips Warmogs. I'm grabbing Wriggle's / Merc / Heart / FoN / Sheen / Shurylia's these days. A little squishier than a straight tank build, but the damage is nice.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, still having a streak of good games lately, good rounds, decent teams, LoL life is good. Kind of humorous how bad some people are at understanding lane mechanics though. Last night's game ended up with my Nasus and a Yi against a solo Ryze. The Yi kept pushing every single wave to Ryze's tower. Which is ok I guess, gold denying is nice, but if he just would have stopped pushing the damn lane we could have both experience AND gold denied, and likely got a kill or two off of it.

Was a close game otherwise. At one point the enemy managed to take out 3 of us, and then take out 2 towers and the central inhib from the death timer advantage. We took baron immediately after and had a nice push, then they surrendered. Wrongly too! Since they still were easily in the game and could have won it off of a single team fight.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aegis is actually the most cost-effective item in the game by far when you factor in the aura it gives to your teammates. Let me put it this way: It is one of the most efficient defensive items in the game just counting the stats it gives you, by yourself. The +12 armor/+15 MR/+8 damage it gives your team makes it ridiculous in efficiency.

You can't ever really go wrong buying an Aegis unless they only do one type of damage. I mean, I would even buy it as my defensive item on a ranged carry if my team didn't have one.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Playing a with an irl friend. He harasses way way too hard. Like gives up first blood from being greedy every game.

Doesn't even last hit he's going after the other guys so hard.

So he either dies or finds himself with 15% hp so he just sits at the tower until teleport is up.

So bad.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mundo is the only character that I have still never tried

You should try him Gary! I thought at first I wasn't gonna like him either because of all the naysay, but as it turns out he's a fucking boss!

He fits my stupidly aggressive playstyle almost to a tee, because if I make a dumb mistake and get reduced to low health but manage to get away (through ghost and application of cleavers generally) , I ult up, maybe lifesteal one or two creeps, and presto I'm back and cleaverin' in seconds

Mundo does, indeed, go where he pleases

Ledneh on
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aegis is a fantastic tank item. As well as giving your carries resistances and damage it also applies to minions as well, making them push towers even harder or defend you with a little more gusto.

Varega sounded so amazed I thought I'd post it here. Today, in solo ranked, the bottom lane Janna ran from her lane and shielded me (jungle Udyr) as I was jungling and ran back to her lane before she could steal any exp.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    every time I queue up for solo ranked I get so worried
    and then the game starts and I remember it's still LoL, I just have a way better chance of having good team comp

unintentional on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For under 2000 gold, Aegis gives your team:

+270hp
    +78 armor
    +97 MR
    +40 damage

Do I even need to explain how ridiculous that is? Yeah, it's not as good as that looks because you don't get the multiplicative effects of stacking everything together on one champion, but it's still pretty insane the amount of shit you're getting for slightly more than the price of a BF Sword.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Had a game as Cass last night, and it reminded me why I love/hate her. Early game reaped First blood, and 3 more after that. Absolutely dominated my lane, and mid/jungle when they came around. Our Ashe was floundering against a very good opposing Ashe...and my team sent me mid since I was doing well. That Ashe had Boots3 AND MS Quints for sure. She was all over the place, and it sucked. Every time I'd try to harass, I'd wind up with half health, and she'd have more than 3/4. If I'd sit there and just farm and keep her from pushing the lane, she'd punish me. VERY well played Ashe.

In the end, our team couldn't do anything against the other's team comp. I wound up useless even with 12 stacks of Soulstealer and about 400+AP; I couldn't do anything in team fights other than poison everyone and pick on someone specific with fangs, and the other team would burn me down if I showed my face any ways.

So frustrating - Cass really needs to be on a team with a late game carry and some serious CC to keep her from getting gibbed.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Granted I have limited experience with Cass, but I found her pretty survivable with a RoA / Rylais and the natural movespeed gain from her Q with the slow/aoe stuns she has.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OremLK wrote: »
    For under 2000 gold, Aegis gives your team:

+270hp
    +78 armor
    +97 MR
    +40 damage

Do I even need to explain how ridiculous that is? Yeah, it's not as good as that looks because you don't get the multiplicative effects of stacking everything together on one champion, but it's still pretty insane the amount of shit you're getting for slightly more than the price of a BF Sword.

Yes. Aegis is good times. The problem with an aura item like Aegis that your teammates don't always recognize the benefit they are getting from it.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    *gets carried in ranked*
    *posts screenshot*
    hvWnB.png

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pro ranked screenshots show your rank :P

13 assists ain't bad. Nothing like my 26 ASSISTS GALIO THAT I POSTED ON PAGE 2. hahaha

GJ man! Grats on the win

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm 11-3 in ranked, that raised my ranking +45 up to 1558

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    that yi was really good
    he got almost all of his kills at low level and then just pushed/tanked turrets/was a nuisance later on
    almost always in good spots for jungle ganks too

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Awesome man! I wonder, if I go on a winning streak, will I start getting more +Elo for the wins? I think since I started playing ranked again I'm like 4-1.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not sure! It might be that your first 20 matches count for more (I think someone said that in the last thread), but it also might be momentum or something
    I dunno

I like being last pick because I get to be support/tank people with good teammates (which is uncommon when i play with my friends :P )

unintentional on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmm, I m embarassed that I have yet to hit ranked since I've hit level 30. Its been like 2 weeks and for some reason I feel like I 'm not ready. Do you get more lp from wins in ranked? If so then I'll do the switch.

Im usually team focused when I pick my character but sometimes enough is enough when everyone locks in and asks for a fucking tank... in spanish.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mierda

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Hmm, I m embarassed that I have yet to hit ranked since I've hit level 30. Its been like 2 weeks and for some reason I feel like I 'm not ready. Do you get more lp from wins in ranked? If so then I'll do the switch.

Im usually team focused when I pick my character but sometimes enough is enough when everyone locks in and asks for a fucking tank... in spanish.

I didn't start doing solo ranked for quite a while after I hit 30
    like, a thousand normal games :P

it's pretty much exactly the same except the people are ruder and they give you a number saying where you're at

draft mode is nice, but then you'll get people who ban the wrong characters as your team leaders, so,

unintentional on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From the community I've seen while watching High ELO streams, I can't see much of a point to ranked beyond draft mode.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    StokedUp wrote: »

Dude there's no reason to HAVE to play ranked. I actually stopped playing ranked because I realized that I was playing really bad. So instead of continuing to play ranked I solo queued (QQ) normal until I got to the point where I was winning solo queue more than I was losing. I also did it to learn how to carry with a couple different kinds of champions.

After doing that, I'm doing MUCH better in ranked. I think when I picked ranked back up I was like 1200 eloish, with maybe 1 more loss than win. Now I think I'm +4 (excluding 2 leaves which I don't even know how I got!!) and sitting just above 1300 Elo.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ah i see. So I will have to continue to use my only retort in spanish : "Y mama tambien". Maybe I should just learn spanish and get it over with. Im already half way there with my french.

I dont care about trolls or shit talkers in english but when theyr speaking spanish I imagine them laughing while riding a donkey whos also laughing.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just played well 4 games in a row and barely lost every one. So depressing.

Batmantis on
    Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • Options
    CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, Treant's skill are up. Not only do we get a tank, but a tank with a built in blink. I can already sense the rage.
    Abilities:

Arcane Smash: Maokai slams the ground, the force of which knocks nearby enemies back and sends an arcane shockwave forward damaging and slowing his enemies.

Twisted Advance: Maokai dissolves into a cloud of arcane energies. He regrows near a target enemy, dealing damage and rooting it in place.

Sapling Toss: Maokai hurls a sapling, dealing damage on impact. The sapling becomes implanted in the ground warding a nearby area. When enemies approach, the sapling attacks, exploding in an arcane blast that damages enemies.

Vengeful Maelstrom (Ultimate): Maokai shields his allies by drawing power from hostile spells and attacks, reducing non-tower damage done to allied champions in the area. Maokai can prolong the effect as long as he has mana to spend on it. When the effect ends, Maokai unleashes the absorbed energy to deal damage to enemies within the vortex.

Sap Magic (Passive): Each time a champion near Maokai casts a spell, he gains a charge of Magical Sap. When he has 5 charges, his next melee attack drains energy from his target, healing Maokai for a percentage of his maximum HP.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I watched my minions stop attacking someone at 50 health and they got to walk away like nothing happened

whywhywhywhywhywhyywhy

Jars on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, Treant's skill are up. Not only do we get a tank, but a tank with a built in blink. I can already sense the rage.
    Abilities:

Arcane Smash: Maokai slams the ground, the force of which knocks nearby enemies back and sends an arcane shockwave forward damaging and slowing his enemies.

Twisted Advance: Maokai dissolves into a cloud of arcane energies. He regrows near a target enemy, dealing damage and rooting it in place.

Sapling Toss: Maokai hurls a sapling, dealing damage on impact. The sapling becomes implanted in the ground warding a nearby area. When enemies approach, the sapling attacks, exploding in an arcane blast that damages enemies.

Vengeful Maelstrom (Ultimate): Maokai shields his allies by drawing power from hostile spells and attacks, reducing non-tower damage done to allied champions in the area. Maokai can prolong the effect as long as he has mana to spend on it. When the effect ends, Maokai unleashes the absorbed energy to deal damage to enemies within the vortex.

Sap Magic (Passive): Each time a champion near Maokai casts a spell, he gains a charge of Magical Sap. When he has 5 charges, his next melee attack drains energy from his target, healing Maokai for a percentage of his maximum HP.

I want I want I want. He seems like the AOE Team murderer.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Everything about Maokai makes me interested as a tanky player. Wards = good times, teleports with stuns = good times, aoe attacks = good times, his ult = LOLOLOL fiddle, GP, Nunu, Galio, etc etc.

I like that his ult becomes more and more deadly as the game goes on since you can keep it up with extra mana, leading to more damage saved up. Will be interesting to see its base damage and ratio.

Do I buy him when he comes out and hope for brokenness? I was stung by Catarina who was balls, and now is just kinda meh.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Abilities:

I want I want I want. He seems like the AOE Team murderer.
    Ehmm, so rot-tele to enemy then blow em into tower/team with Arcane smash and put down a sapling so they cant run back the same way. I think I found my replacement for Alistar.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.