As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends]Why did Riot servers go down for ten hours on patch day? For rest.

• Mattitude87Mattitude87 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    So, is there any way of getting into this game as a total nubian who hasn't even played DOTA?

I liked the look of the Totalbiscuit review but I a have never seen a game so unfriendly to new players, I would be terrified of playing with a team and doing one little thing wrong as it seems pretty complex (at least in FPS you can just get by shooting mans).

I never played DOTA, and i got into this game pretty easily. It helps having people (especially on voice chat) who can guide you as needed. The biggest learning curve is knowing when you'll die... and that comes with experience and time....

Mattitude87 on
    League of Legends: Mattagascar
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, is there any way of getting into this game as a total nubian who hasn't even played DOTA?

I liked the look of the Totalbiscuit review but I a have never seen a game so unfriendly to new players, I would be terrified of playing with a team and doing one little thing wrong as it seems pretty complex (at least in FPS you can just get by shooting mans).

The good news is that early on you'll be matched with mostly people in the same boat. It's not until the 20's that you actually start developing the real skills and understanding of what's going on. I'm sure plenty of PA'ers would be willing to help you out either directly or with a smurf account.
    Just remember:
    1. Don't Die
    2. If you don't know where the enemy team is, assume they're in the bush next to you
    3. Only kill what you KNOW you can kill
    4. Don't Die
    5. Running away is a valid strategy
    6. The more you see (via wards etc.) the more you know. Knowing is half the battle. GI JOE!
    7. Understand the role of your character. If you're a bow or gun shooting person with lots of damage abilities - don't be first in the fight.

schuss on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, just jump in, everyone is a newbie at summoner level 1 except the dudes who rerolled just to stomp you for the lawls

Once you have a solid working knowledge of the game, watch TreeEskimo's stream/recorded videos a lot and learn shit

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm.

Ryze changes look interesting. Having 675 range on two good abilities seems like it could make him quite a beast for harassment in laning. The changes to his ult seem pretty weird. In general, the addition of mana coefficients just means RoA Ryze just got a lot more powerful. To the extent that I might even consider stacking RoAs. Spell Vamp on his ult could make him a little bit like a single-target Swain, given a decent quantity of HP.

The nerf to Vlad's coefficients is the saddest thing. Because it's aimed in completely the wrong direction. Vlad wasn't gaining too much AP from HP, he was gaining too much HP from AP. Warmog's Vlads were and are terrible, and even in the case of Rylai's, is the combination of the slow and the HP from AP that mattered.

The nerf to Frozen Heart is so sad. That item is just bad nowadays, it needs a complete rework. 8(

QSS buff ftw!

Morello's Evil Tome is a bit curious; seems like DFG without the perk of killing toughies.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Never a better time to learn. :)

Sokpuppet on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Helpfull PA thread is helpfull.

I will install it and play around for a bit then.

Venkman90 on
    edited February 2011
    Also check out the Dan Dinh stream on own3d.tv about teaching people to fish. He discusses how to be a good mid.

schuss on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's a patch day, unfortunately.

What is fortunate is that the patch they will be implementing all day is one which will be very nice for you as a new player.

Sokpuppet on
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sivir

* Boomerang Blade
    o Damage reduction to each subsequent target increased to 20% from 10%
    o Now scales from bonus attack damage instead of total attack damage
    o Base damage increased to 75/120/165/210/255 from 20/70/120/170/220
    o Attack damage ratio increased to .95 from .75

I don't know how to feel. It's a pretty huge nerf to boomerang blade. To the point where I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to focus early game. Also, this makes me want to move back to scaling AD runes instead of armor pen now that the ratio is almost 1:1. The MAJOR effect of this change is that you can no longer Q farm, which is a really gigantic nerf. One way that Sivir could survive while being zoned out (Ezreal can do it, as can anyone with a short CD disable or a flash), was to farm with her Q to get last hits and EXP. That will be a lot more difficult now.

On the other side, increasing her base attack damage will make it a lot easier to last hit, AND is a buff to ricochet. It'll also make her auto attack more scary as at the beginning of the game the damage on it was kind of laughable. It's very frustrating to be duo laning as Sivir (which means something already went wrong) and not be able to get last hits because your base attack damage is LOW and you're not using abilities because you're trying not to push the lane.

Pacificstar on
    edited February 2011
    Ricochet is a stupid skill and until they rework it they won't be able to balance Sivir.

Bethryn on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nerf on Doran's Shield is going to make me buy Regrowth Pendant and a Health Potion at the start.

Fellhand on
    edited February 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Ricochet is a stupid skill and until they rework it they won't be able to balance Sivir.

I dunno, ricochet is effective only if Sivir has the front line to protect her. Otherwise she's pretty easy to close in on, even with spell shield in a team fight.

Edit, Phreak posted on the forums that one of the reasons they nerfed Sivir's Q was to keep her from Q farming. :( I will miss the Q farming days and go back to my scaling AD runepage now. ALSO, similar reasoning on the Anivia R nerf. Take away the free R>E harass and keep her from easy farming an entire minion wave.

Pacificstar on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I have 10,000 IP and there is really nothing to spend it on. I have all the champions I need (might get the new guy) but now I need shit loads of runes and rune pages. That is just such a huge sink I think I might skip it. Basically right now I have 3 rune set ups. Caster, AD and Tank
    Caster is magic pen, CDR and mp/5
    AD is armor pen and the same
    Tank is the same with health quints and armor pen.

Fizban140 on
    edited February 2011
    I dunno, ricochet is effective only if Sivir has the front line to protect her. Otherwise she's pretty easy to close in on, even with spell shield in a team fight.
    In teamfights this is true. There's this period in mid-laning towards the beginning of formed-up teamfights where Sivir zones enemies from last hits just by auto-attacking though, if she hasn't failed her first 10 minutes of laning. It's dumb. 8(
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    MP5 and CDR on tank? Why not flat armour and scaling MR?

Also, a more general question, why do people get armour penetration on tanks? Almost all tanks do magical damage as their primary late-game damage source.

Bethryn on
    edited February 2011
    In teamfights this is true. There's this period in mid-laning towards the beginning of formed-up teamfights where Sivir zones enemies from last hits just by auto-attacking though, if she hasn't failed her first 10 minutes of laning. It's dumb. 8(
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    MP5 and CDR on tank? Why not flat armour and scaling MR?

Also, a more general question, why do people get armour penetration on tanks? Almost all tanks do magical damage as their primary late-game damage source.

Because I only have 3 pages and I haven't bought any more runes.

Fizban140 on
    edited February 2011

Yeah, I know what you mean. Generally speaking though the consequence of keeping ricochet on is that you over push your lane, making you susceptible to ganks.

Pacificstar on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fiz, you should try to work towards Armor yellows and MR blues (scale or flat) for your tank page.
    Armor yellow is also used on almost every jungler.

@Venkman, if you haven't already signed up an account, I've got a link in my sig down here that you can use and it gives me a referral (we recently had a PA player finish 200 referrals and got $76 worth of RP [in-game moneys] for his efforts).
    Also, I'd never played any dota before LoL and I enjoy the game. It has a learning curve, but it's not the worst.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Nerf on Doran's Shield is going to make me buy Regrowth Pendant and a Health Potion at the start.

This is why they did it. At 10/per 5 it was SO MUCH better then a regrowth pendant. It was an amazing item to stack on characters early on like Malphite.

Lunysgwen on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Generally speaking though the consequence of keeping ricochet on is that you over push your lane, making you susceptible to ganks.
    2 wards, her spellshield and ult basically put her pretty high on the ungankable tier, up there with Gragas, Nidalee and Leblanc, though.

Bethryn on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have 10,000 IP and there is really nothing to spend it on. I have all the champions I need

Do you have all the champions that are fun?

zeeny on
    edited February 2011
    Never get outsmited again! (Except by mo'fucking Cho'Gath)

1: 445
    2: 470
    3: 495
    4: 520
    5: 545
    6: 570
    7: 595
    8: 620
    9: 645
    10: 670
    11: 695
    12: 720
    13: 745
    14: 770
    15: 795
    16: 820
    17: 845
    18: 870

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited February 2011
    zeeny wrote: »
    I have 10,000 IP and there is really nothing to spend it on. I have all the champions I need

Do you have all the champions that are fun?

Close to it really, missing Olaf, Kennen and then all the new champs from the past couple months.

Fizban140 on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    get some good runepages set up???

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
    edited February 2011
    Wow smiting Baron is going to be so much easier now. Outsmiting 700+ true damage is almost impossible, you can even leave yourself a slight buffer and be fine if their jungler isn't there...

OremLK on
    edited February 2011
    You're set then. Spend it on runes. As said above, Armor yellows, AS quints etc are some that are widely used.

zeeny on
    edited February 2011
    OremLK wrote: »
    Wow smiting Baron is going to be so much easier now. Outsmiting 700+ true damage is almost impossible, you can even leave yourself a slight buffer and be fine if their jungler isn't there...

Smiting baron with a 200 ping is never easy for me.

zeeny on
    edited February 2011
    There is no way I could play with 200ms latency :(

OremLK on
    edited February 2011
    2 wards, her spellshield and ult basically put her pretty high on the ungankable tier, up there with Gragas, Nidalee and Leblanc, though.

Dude, I totally agree. You know what's funny? Running teleport cleanse and buying a QSS for your MR.

Double cleanse + spell shield. Or getting a BV, double bubble + cleanse. Save your ult not to push towers but to run away. It's full of win

Pacificstar on
  • ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here's my item changes assessment for this patch:

Keep in mind that 1.3 is the baseline - i.e. 1.3 is an average leverage value for a completed item.

Doran's shield - slight nerf. Worst of the doran's items now in terms of gold leverage at 1.49.

Glacial Shroud - basically maintains its power level - moves from 1.53 to 1.52 ratio.

Frozen Heart - basically maintains its power level - moves from 1.51 to 1.52 ratio. (overall, however, I feel this item was buffed, as the passive effect is now cheaper with the same effect, while the -5% CDR cost was already absorbed in glacial shroud's cost). Expect to see more frozen hearts out there (indirect nerf to ad champions (melee especially).

Boots of Lucidity - big nerf here, but they are still worthwhile if you need CDR and can't squeeze it in elsewhere. They're in line with the other boots now such as berserker greaves and sorcerors shoes. Previously they were undercosted at their power level IMO.

Quicksilver Sash - slight buff. QSS has been buffed several times in recent months. I give it a 1.10 ratio now (Due to the way I calculate the value of passives/actives that have no stat level translation). I would consider getting this item now if it fit my champion (such as on mundo to clear ignites, or when you see an enemy Malzahar). Previously, it was no contest between this and a banshee's veil, but veil's been nerfed and QSS has gotten more than a few buffs.

Randuin's Omen - Moves from 1.43 to 1.38 ratio. Slight nerf. Still an above average buy, but be aware that some of the value lies in HP/5 regen, which is a garbage stat outside of the laning phase.

Spirit Visage - Moves down from 1.31 to 1.24. Slight nerf. Now a slightly below average value, but due to the low combine cost and nice unique passive, I would still get this item if it fits your character (you have self healing/regen and plan on using it a lot - e.g. mundo/warwick)

Soul Shroud - Moves down from 1.23 to 1.11 without considering the aura's beneficial effects on teammates. When accounting for the aura's effects, the item's extremely efficient IF you're providing the aura to 2 or more members of your team and the aura is helpful. Unfortunately, this is a rather big IF, since mana/5 regen is fairly worthless in a team fight, and a large number of champions don't use mana. This is definitely a 'sustained team push' item, and if that's your strategy, this is a great item for that. In a typical solo queue game, avoid this item.

Morello's Fiendish Tome - 1.27 ratio. Safely in the average zone. If you need mana regen/ap/cdr this is a solid pick. Pretty good first pick item for the laning phase (due to the mana regen).

Constrictor on
    edited February 2011
    scaling HP yellows owwwwwn

on physical DPS dudes its nice to have a health crystal worth of health crystals

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
    edited February 2011
    OremLK wrote: »
    There is no way I could play with 200ms latency :(

It's Ok-ish for almost everything but last hitting, where the difference(for me at least) between th US and EU server is huge. I remember somebody said before I'll get used to it, but yeah, I'm still CS-ing miles better on the EU server.

zeeny on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah frozen heart soudns awesome now

unintentional on
    edited February 2011
    Thanks Constrictor.

No more rushing CDR boots early game on Nasus for me, but Frozen Heart is looking like a pretty nice option against certain teams...

OremLK on
    edited February 2011
    boots of lucidity were insanely undercosted

they were cheaper than tabi- weren't they?

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
    edited February 2011
    Just going by memory but I think Tabi were like 50g cheaper

OremLK on
    edited February 2011
    It makes me sad I probably can't play tonight and gleefully bop around the jungle as mumu.

schuss on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lunysgwen wrote: »

This is why they did it. At 10/per 5 it was SO MUCH better then a regrowth pendant. It was an amazing item to stack on characters early on like Malphite.

There wasn't a need to do it. Doran's doesn't build into anything. Pendant builds right into FoN (possibly other items).

I guess it could be considered fair in that the HP boost is still the best part about the item.

Fellhand on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So i'm trying out AP build teemo, but not sure where im goign with item builds. Could I get some suggestions?

Getting the attack speed items along with ap is good though right?

M.D. on
  • LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lunysgwen wrote: »

There wasn't a need to do it. Doran's doesn't build into anything. Pendant builds right into FoN (possibly other items).

I guess it could be considered fair in that the HP boost is still the best part about the item.

I would routinely take a regrowth on heroes such as ashe or caitlyn when going mid against heroes like vlad. Except when Dorians got buffed, what was the point? Four less HP/5 and 100+ health+armor. Plus heroes like Vlad/Mord simply thrived pretty heavily early game with them.

Lunysgwen on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So i'm trying out AP build teemo, but not sure where im goign with item builds. Could I get some suggestions?

Getting the attack speed items along with ap is good though right?

Real AP teemos are made of shrooms 100%

blinding dart and run bro

don't listen to those people who say you should be "autoattacking"

!

Haunting guise sorc shoes mpen runes morello book + fiendish codex rylais for SNARE SHROOMS

then deathcap or void staff mr depending

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.