As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends]Why did Riot servers go down for ten hours on patch day? For rest.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zerg rush wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Either that or the new Chinese CEO was like "yeah fuck that, give them less IP" at the last minute.

Please do remember that they were recently the object of a takeover by a foreign investor from a country where people think nothing of grinding an extra hundred hours on a level treadmill just cuz'.

why does him being chinese have anything to do with anything

Because that's the stereotype for Chinese MMOs. I'd be saying the same thing if a South Korean company bought them out too. Or getting ready for crashes to desktop if an Eastern European company bought them out.

Although they have said repeatedly that they aren't going to change anything. Hopefully that holds true.

It probably won't. The purse strings holder is going to want some input, if not now, then when/if the returns on the investment start to falter. I suspect DOTA 2 is probably going to put the hurt on Riot's income for the short term. Right about then I would expect the new owner to start throwing around their weight.

Dark_Side on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brackhar is an employee of Riot Games, responsible for designing Nidalee, Taric, Anivia, and Cassiopeia. He posts on SA sometimes! Someone asked him about the IP changes. This is what he said:
    I don't have a lot of info aside from Zileas quickly saying "Yeah, we'll fix it."

So there. It's broken, and going to be fixed. We may calm.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy god, at the new IP rate it's going to take me approximately three thousand games to finish getting the rest of the champions. That's about a year of playing the game thirty hours a week. And that's not even including all of the champions which will be released over the next year.

And that's with me already having about 50 champions and having spent $70 on this game.

Ridiculous.

Edit: Okay, good, I'm very glad it won't be this bad

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, Ryze. Does about 1/2 maybe the damage he used to?

ANd the IP changes? I cannot wait to be like "Whoa, what the fuck, dudes" at PAX East.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy mashed potatoes. The Riot forums are now completely clogged with, 'ZOMG ZOMG RIOT SOLD US OUT TO THE CHINESE!!!!' topics.

*Facepalms*

...And I foolishly thought the Red Scare was behind us.

Yes, Orem, it's just a bug. You'll be back to your regularly scheduled IP ramp shortly. :P

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited February 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    Holy mashed potatoes. The Riot forums are now completely clogged with, 'ZOMG ZOMG RIOT SOLD US OUT TO THE CHINESE!!!!' topics.

*Facepalms*

...And I foolishly thought the Red Scare was behind us.

Yes, Orem, it's just a bug. You'll be back to your regularly scheduled IP ramp shortly. :P

What bug? AT 80 IP per win it'll take 78 games to get a 6300 champion.

MegaMan001 on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's not a bug.
    It's a worm! Someone is getting all of our missing IP!

Actually given the sheer nerd-factor at work with Riot employees it's probably just a huge, deliberate troll.

Sokpuppet on
    edited February 2011

The current IP being given out by the system is bugged. Thus the low rewards.

It will be fixed.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited February 2011

It will be fixed.

Why do we think it's a bug?

MegaMan001 on
    edited February 2011
    It's not a bug.
    It's a worm! Someone is getting all of our missing IP!

zomg

EVERYBODY PANIC!@!@!!@!@!!!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Nah Ryze is fine. Took a game of adjustment but I'm back to where I was. He does much better sustained, and he only does half the damage if the person using him doesn't know to get cdr and in what order to cast his spells.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    45min loss, 58 IP

Really all Riot has to do is give back the "no-leave" streaks and then we're back to normal

Zoelef on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zoelef wrote: »
    45min loss, 58 IP

Really all Riot has to do is give back the "no-leave" streaks and then we're back to normal

I'm not even sure why they took it out. Sure they do have the leaverbuster thing now but an incentive like that is also helpful.

Slicer on
    edited February 2011
    Okay, so now that's settled...

I think Mao is going to be game changing.
    His ult might actually give him enough dragon control all by itself to justify a solo bot.

Sokpuppet on
    edited February 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

It will be fixed.

Scroll back a few posts, to #2363, and actually read the words you see on your screen.

Post from Pendragon, confirming that the IP rewards are currently bugged:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=519548

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited February 2011

Nah Ryze is fine. Took a game of adjustment but I'm back to where I was. He does much better sustained, and he only does half the damage if the person using him doesn't know to get cdr and in what order to cast his spells.

Care to explain what I am missing? I run CDR runes.

Would love to know what I'm missing because now he doesn't do nearly as much damage and definitely isn't an assassin?

EDIT: I mean, it's cool if you want to sit in your ivory tower and sling thinly veiled insults that I need to 'learn2play'.

MegaMan001 on
    edited February 2011
    Ryze is supposed to be sustained DPS now. Are you spamming those spells? They're supposed to do less damage, but come off of CD much, much faster.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    get 40% CDR

do Q every other spell

win

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • CelethangCelethang Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He's not an assassin, that's the thing. He's not a wtf burst you down at level 6 champ like he used to be. He very much feels like a ranged carry like they said he would be. You farm up early game, get a massive pool of mana, 40% cdr, and you just start flinging spells like a gatling gun.

Most people are probably trying to play him like the old version, and it just doesn't work that way anymore. The key to damage with him is to weave Q between EVERY spell. Before it was something like ERQW etc. Now it's more like QWQEQR.

I like saving R for later, since it doesn't give you AP anymore, and there's a dead time where everything is on cooldown after the QWQEQ.

Celethang on
    edited February 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

It will be fixed.

Scroll back a few posts, to #2363, and actually read the words you see on your screen.

Sorry, man, I missed that single post where a guy said another guy he knows at SA asked a guy who works at Riot about the IP. The Riot Employee said he talked to another employee and that it would be fixed. Real earth shattering announcement there.

I hope it'll be fixed.

So you want to weave Q into attacks and get a full 40% CDR? Is Archangel's Staff still worthwhile as before for the bigger mana pool and bonus to Q?

Thanks for the Ryze, I was still doing REWQ and definitely wasn't working. I also got smoked early game a few times trying to blow people away like before.

MegaMan001 on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Celethang wrote: »
    He's not an assassin, that's the thing. He's not a wtf burst you down at level 6 champ like he used to be. He very much feels like a ranged carry like they said he would be. You farm up early game, get a massive pool of mana, 40% cdr, and you just start flinging spells like a gatling gun.

Most people are probably trying to play him like the old version, and it just doesn't work that way anymore. The key to damage with him is to weave Q between EVERY spell. Before it was something like ERQW etc. Now it's more like QWQEQR.

I like saving R for later, since it doesn't give you AP anymore, and there's a dead time where everything is on cooldown after the QWQEQ.

I am super stoked about this. It means I can run Annie for burst, and Ryze for sustained and not have to choose one over the other!

Also I can't wait to try out Maokai, his mechanics look like fun.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited February 2011
    The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited February 2011

I'm not taking any credits till I see the free IP boost. ;-)

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited February 2011
    A mistake like this is pretty awful PR for Riot, don't they have any way to test the simplest things like this before they go live? Pretty obvious that people are going to get upset about something like this.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BEST JOKE EVER

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    OremLK wrote: »
    A mistake like this is pretty awful PR for Riot, don't they have any way to test the simplest things like this before they go live? Pretty obvious that people are going to get upset about something like this.

Most likely it is just on their internal builds. I doubt changes like this see the PTR (not on the PTR myself so I have no idea) Then they push it to the live server, some unforseen thing doesn't transfer over, or something is not quite right, bug results, they fix issue.

Essentially we are like a beta test when it comes to changes to the systems in place. I think the PTR is purely for champion balance.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited February 2011
    That's a pretty stupid way to handle things if so

I mean even in the most crude possible form, just an hour where only Riot emloyees can log in to the live server would have revealed the problem

Of course that's another hour of QQ about the servers being down, but still seems like a lesser evil to me

Basically Riot just doesn't seem to be very good at this whole "running a multiplayer game" thing at this point

OremLK on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone have any idea how to use xsplit broadcaster? It just seems to crash my computer.

Also I can't get anything to show up even though I ahve screen region desktop selected.

Fizban140 on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm debating whether to be good and cheap and save IP for Tree, or to buy RPs and get Tree pack and KING TRYNDAMERE.

I have a list. A list of skins to buy when they go on sale. He is on the list.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how to use xsplit broadcaster? It just seems to crash my computer.

Also I can't get anything to show up even though I ahve screen region desktop selected.

I use it but I have not really had any problems with it except for the fact that I have to play in windowed mode

edit: also try selecting a region from top left to bottom right of your screen, instead of clicking on desktop

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I had to use windowed mode aswell, this program really is shit.

Anyone know of any guides or anything? This is incredibly frustrating, can't get it to work.

Fizban140 on
  • JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lost three games in a row before i realized my 1300 teams (me always at top with 1650 wtf?) were going against 1700 teams. Note to self: don't play on patch days.

JRosey on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OremLK wrote: »
    That's a pretty stupid way to handle things if so

I mean even in the most crude possible form, just an hour where only Riot emloyees can log in to the live server would have revealed the problem

Of course that's another hour of QQ about the servers being down, but still seems like a lesser evil to me

Basically Riot just doesn't seem to be very good at this whole "running a multiplayer game" thing at this point

If they pushed the patch an hour faster it'd even out.

Yeah, there was a period where they weren't consistently bad at this stuff, but it's gone now. Bugs and server problems constantly now.

programjunkie on
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just experienced a new bug

Our normal game was changed into arenastyle deathmatch.

ONE LIFE PER PERSON!

My team died first, they won.

Draygo on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, new Ryze is fantastic. If you don't have him (why don't you have him????) you can test him in the Battle Training.

QERQWQQE

It's like a cheat code or something.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Draygo wrote: »

ONE LIFE PER PERSON!

That's awesome. RIOT is adding in new play modes into the game for free!

I bet they're just doing it to compete with Bloodline Champions

zerg rush on
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also in the game where we had one item, dorans items were reverted to their previous values in cost.

So if you have that happen, you will know you are in a deathmatch game, put 5 in a lane and gank away.

Draygo on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Draygo wrote: »

ONE LIFE PER PERSON!

That's awesome. RIOT is adding in new play modes into the game for free!

I bet they're just doing it to compete with Bloodline Champions

There can be only NONE!

schuss on
    edited February 2011
    I just realized who Riot remind me of...

anyone here ever watch any "Sealab 2020"?

Sokpuppet on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just realized who Riot remind me of...

anyone here ever watch any "Sealab 2020"?

Is it because of THE GLOWING?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
This discussion has been closed.