As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Latex [Chat]

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I don't see how people can go without owning a suit for at least occaisional formal outings. Nor do I understand the pushback on wanting people to leave t-shirts and jeans behind for a single evening.

When I asked my buddy if he was ok with attending Will's event his answer was "well, so we obviously have to take suits with us. Should be fun."

Now they'll have two pudgy, middle aged Germans in cheap business suit at their table. What could go wrong? :P

Liam Neeson shows up shoots one of you threatens the other with unspeakable bodily harm?

If he tried that on me, I'd be all "Let me go or I'll tell everyone you're from Ballymena!"

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    First page of GIS for "sport coat": nothing but hideousness.

Jesus, yeah it is, what the fuck.

More like this:
    AAAAAj-FVcoAAAAAALPdnQ.jpg

Displaying my clothing ignorance, but this does not strike me as something one would wear while engaging in sport.

It's the other way. It's what sportsmen wear when they're trying to be smart.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Dude Will people are flying across the country for this and sometimes it's just not practical to neatly fold and shove in a nice suit with and extra pair of nice shoes

I know if I was able to go I would be taking the bus and I would want to pack as lightly as possible

Solution: wear suit on plane, only pack coathanger.

This is not difficult stuff.

I will not spend a nine hour plane ride in a suit (the only suit I'm taking)!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dude Will people are flying across the country for this and sometimes it's just not practical to neatly fold and shove in a nice suit with and extra pair of nice shoes

I know if I was able to go I would be taking the bus and I would want to pack as lightly as possible

Bah you're a woman you can wear a house dress and be in "formal".

nah you need heels too

stabby, uncomfortable, weapons-grade heels

True, but in that case they also double as dangerous throwing weapons, so it kind of evens out.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In short,
    Will is The Man in hipster-chic clothing.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Displaying my clothing ignorance, but this does not strike me as something one would wear while engaging in sport.

Hunting, polo, peasant-whipping, etc.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, just remembered I had this way in the back of the closet. Also, a tuxedo jacket. And a white suit with dark orange vest and dark red tie.
    coat2.jpg

echo that is too bright

you're gonna look like that elvis impersonator you have over there

@jacob: gonna work on your retainer today, did you have anything particular you wanted out of her?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    these guys be dicks, yo
    In the 18th century, a number of early "medical experiments" involved the immunization of children. They were deemed good subjects because they had no prior experience with the disease and they were convenient or in close proximity to the investigator. Edward Jenner tested the first smallpox vaccine on his own son, and then on 48 children in an almshouse. The orphans were then infected with smallpox to determine efficacy. Early American pediatrician Benjamin Waterhouse tested an initial shipment of vaccine by vaccinating his own children, then exposing 3 of them to smallpox patients.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I'd be more annoyed that someone told me how to dress and that I had to limit myself to a suit.

this is mostly what i'm running into here i think

by asking people to dress a certain way, it's squelching their unique identity

only it's being masqueraded as a lot of other bullshit

A lot of what you are running into is not that

Your policy seems to ignore legitimate views as an outlier and keep ranting about the other crap you have to deal with. Which I would say is reasonable except you should probably take more care to differentiate between "yeah I don't own nice clothes and I do actually check out thrift stores" and cat ears, naruto tees, and action figures

is the legitimate view you're putting forward that someone could reasonably not be able to find a jacket and tie at a thrift store? is this what you are saying is a reasonable position?

i mean, i know that arch is extremely short and has various other problems with finding clothes that fit, so i can understand in his case how he might not be able to find something that fits him

but for the vast majority of people, not only is it possible to find semi-formal (what used to be called "casual") clothes at reasonable prices, but it's the sort of thing that people should have a set or two of anyways in case they ever need to go on a date, or to a funeral, or to a wedding, or to a church service or something.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Jesus, yeah it is, what the fuck.

More like this:
    AAAAAj-FVcoAAAAAALPdnQ.jpg

Technically it's more like a blazer, but the distinction is fuzzy. You would not wear it while playing soccer but a true sport coat is less formal. You might throw it on over a light sweater then go out hunting with your servants.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hah jeez if I were on the bus too I would not spend it in business clothes wearing my 'going out' shoes

there be lots of walking to be done mang

mind you everyone who's met me should know that I am in no way opposed to dressing up. I like to dress up on days just for the hell of it! I just don't find your level of disdain appealing, Will :?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    appealing?

Like a banana

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    guys Will is the voice for middle america usually
    this isn't a new phenomenon

i don't think i've ever lived in middle america

i visited chicago once

does that count?

(chicago is fat and dresses poorly)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I would sympathise but all I'm hearing is whinge whinge whinge.

Take off jacket during flight - put in lap/hang up somewhere/put in overhead locker things.

Jesus fuck.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    appealing?

i am a whole-body appeal to irrational fucking, y'see

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    appealing?

Like a banana

goddamit

Arch on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

i'd be incredibly fascinated to hear what you know about middle america
    generally repeated truisms that really have no identifiable origin but are constantly mimicked by straight culture and straight people over and over and over until they are driven insane

so basically nothing, then?
    what is there to say?

you could just not talk about things you are intensely ignorant of

I realize this is a challenging and terrifying concept

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

i don't think i've ever lived in middle america

i visited chicago once

does that count?

(chicago is fat and dresses poorly)
    I do love you. :)

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wish I could have actually spent some time in Chicago proper.

The view from the [strike]Sears[/strike] Willis Tower was bitching though.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

i'd be incredibly fascinated to hear what you know about middle america
    generally repeated truisms that really have no identifiable origin but are constantly mimicked by straight culture and straight people over and over and over until they are driven insane

so basically nothing, then?
    what is there to say?

you could just not talk about things you are intensely ignorant of

I realize this is a challenging and terrifying concept

never stopped me

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In something unrelated, I really do hate flying. Planes were not made for tall people.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    appealing?

Like a banana

goddamit
    keanuBanana.jpg

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My problem with what you're saying, Will, is that I don't know what benchmarks you're settingm so I can't tell whether I agree or disagree with you. Could you post some pictures of what you consider acceptable and unacceptable? And maybe what exactly you consider to be business casual, too.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    In something unrelated, I really do hate flying. Planes were not made for tall people.

advantage: arch

although flying coach for six hours or so was no fun for me either

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I wish I could have actually spent some time in Chicago proper.

The view from the [strike]Sears[/strike] Willis Tower was bitching though.

There's a Sears store elsewhere in the city that has a two story tower that we want to take pictures at and then tell everyone we went to the Sears Tower.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Flying steerage is the worst.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wore a suit on my plane trip to vegas, but that was about an hour and a half plane ride and it was a very comfy suit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2011

5.8.10-Sport-Coat-F.jpg

Are you saying that T.I. modeling a hobo coat isn't the definition of class?

i've seen some patch or madras-like jackets like that around.

a little to fashiony for my personal tastes, but i would be fine if someone wanted to wear something like that to dinner.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

when I went to england, I got up midflight to use the washroom and fell over in the aisle my legs were so numb

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll wear a suit if I think I am going to get some, or if someone has died.
    oldsuit.jpg

Man, what an old picture. I did like that tie, though. Siiiigh.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I would sympathise but all I'm hearing is whinge whinge whinge.

Take off jacket during flight - put in lap/hang up somewhere/put in overhead locker things.

Jesus fuck.

But why would I do that when I can neatly put my entire suit in my giant-ass suitcase? Suitcase!

Though I have to admit, you can really not take much with you on intercontinental flights.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    B...A...

...N...A...

N A N A --dammit!

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited February 2011

nah you need heels too

you can wear flats

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

i understand and have relayed that it's not going to be practical for everyone to bring a suit. i'm sympathetic to the argument and just ask people to dress as nicely as they possibly can. i have the feeling that a lot of people don't really know what that means, which is why i'm kind of reluctant to say "business casual" - because business casual isn't appropriate to wear out to a reasonably-nice restaurant.

i don't think that "i'm too poor" is a reasonable excuse for not owning a jacket and tie. that shit is cheap and you need it anyways unless you live in a commune.
    Yeah, I think this is the crux of the problem. If people don't have experience dressing for a nice restaurant, it's probably best just to tell them to wear a suit or jacket and tie. This is especially a problem when you're dealing with any group that has higher-than-average neckbeard potential. You want to minimize the risk of them getting "creative."

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited February 2011

nah you need heels too

you can wear flats

no will

no you cannot

ask frankie

she will murder you with a glance for that suggestion

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    B...A...

...N...A...

N A N A --dammit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0oECCuN6I

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorry for your loss Ron.

Leitner on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ronaldo i would fuck you

just sayin

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In short,
    Will is The Man in hipster-chic clothing.

i am maybe 25% hipster

mostly i dress pretty sharply, but definitely not like those skinny jeans or strange working-class appropriations that hipsters like to sport.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.