Options

Designer? I ardly knew er! (nsf56k)

1424344454648»

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    www.noteslate.com

e-ink tablet with a paper feel

VqAYP.jpg

GVzVf.jpg

XiTMe.jpg

They still seem to be in the development stage or getting funding or something, but it's a rad idea. The potential for the combination of an e-ink display and a note tablet is enormous. With the right processor, you could cross between drawing and writing like what's shown above and actual documents like a kindle

NgvXc.jpg

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    reading into it more, it seems like the 2nd picture there is the old model. they've updated some stuff, but the tablets no longer support 4 colors. you just choose one when purchasing

5wm1U.jpg

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    that is... less exciting. still pretty cool though!

also hey hey guys i have a blog did you know

http://heylittleriver.com/

been documenting and posted a lot of my print work most recently, but there's other stuff too. c-c-c-check it out

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    Vann Diras wrote:
    that is... less exciting. still pretty cool though!

yeah, definitely. But it seems like it is the type of thing that was done for funding/pricing reasons. Like, obviously the technology is there, they've already done it.

It's the type of adjustment that I could see going back to the better version if it gets picked up by a larger company or distributor. And that is something that would need to happen with this sort of product. E-ink is already struggling for e-readers. Even though it is way better for reading, people want tablets they can facebook on and they want to watch movies on way too small of a screen.

For something like this to profit long-term, I think it has to focus on being in a niche market. Or at least not worry about being the next big thing for the public.

They need to keep it well priced and have the software it uses to upload to your computer be incredibly simple. Let people edit as .pdf or an image file or whatever in their own program. Market it to companies and design firms in bulk, sort of thing.

I guess what I'm saying is that they should keep it less as an entertainment device and more as a tool (that could still be entertaining through drawing)

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    yeah the e-reader and tablet market is not what they should be aiming for with that.

• Options
    if they want to get really ambitious, try and team up with Wacom and make it plug in and useable as one of their drawing tablets. It wouldn't have to be a cintiq, but seeing your drawings through the e-ink could potentially be helpful

then just unplug it and take it with you to draw on the go like it was originally intended

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Vann, what medium is your GET BACK TO YOUR ROOTS stuff?

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    the text itself is screen printed

the texture underneath is a collograph, sort of like a reverse etching. instead of etching lines into a metal plate, you build up textures by attaching items to a solid surface. in this case, a whole lot of dried reeds. once they were glued on i used a spray varnish to get it nice and solid and slick. then you ink it up, and print it. it was my first time trying it, super fun and spontaneous because you don't really know how it will turn out.

• Options
    also i tend to tag each post with what medium
    Futore wrote:
    if they want to get really ambitious, try and team up with Wacom and make it plug in and useable as one of their drawing tablets. It wouldn't have to be a cintiq, but seeing your drawings through the e-ink could potentially be helpful

then just unplug it and take it with you to draw on the go like it was originally intended

also yes this would be amazing

then again wacom has that inkling now. i want one a lot

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I saw those eink tablets a while back. It doesn't seem like they've made much progress. Which is sad.

Those things would be incredible for academics (A4 screen would mean no more printing out hundreds of papers)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule