As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA: The Series, Season 2, Episode 12 - Screenlife, Part II

124»

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Penny Arcade has been trying to push for a game industry ping pong league (you'll see the word GIPPL every now and then on our whiteboards) for a few years now. We've gotten Popcap, Amaze/F9, Surreal/Midway, Popcap, Microsoft, Bungie, Screenlife, Suckerpunch and Sony Online Entertainment to all participate. It's tough tho - game release schedules are tough to work around.

Man, Popcap gets to field two teams? That's hardly fair.

You realize pointing out Khoo's mistakes qualifies you for erasure from existence?

Adus on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whoa Surreal is still around?

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm gonna go trademark PASN (Penny-Arcade Sports Network). Be right back.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Word is Blizzard has been putting a team together for a few years now. They're still tinkering with it, balancing the player line-up, hoping to be ready to play by 2013 or 2014, but when they're ready to play they'll decimate everyone in sight.

Then you'll have to wait 7 years to play them again.

And who knows when the Valve team will be ready...

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    facetious wrote: »
    Word is Blizzard has been putting a team together for a few years now. They're still tinkering with it, balancing the player line-up, hoping to be ready to play by 2013 or 2014, but when they're ready to play they'll decimate everyone in sight.

They had 5 out of 7 players chosen but then it got put on hold when they decided to put together some kickball, capture the flag, and tiddly-winks teams.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

They had 5 out of 7 players chosen but then it got put on hold when they decided to put together some kickball, capture the flag, and tiddly-winks teams.

Don't tell Robert, but alphamonkey plays for Valve.

Where do you think he got all those hats from?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Turambar wrote: »
    Next PAX should have a PA vs. The Fans ping pong match.

Khoo vs. The Fans! An epic, Stalingrad-esque ordeal. When one fan drops the next one picks up the paddle.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh god i hope there will be a pa vs bungi episode

Fuga on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    End wrote: »

Don't tell Robert, but alphamonkey plays for Valve.

Where do you think he got all those hats from?

Ooh my god this is the perfect setup for You Got Served:Ping Pong Edition.

"You man those are our moves" "He sold us out" "Ya'll just mad cause you suckers got served"

In the finale Mike comes back with the perfect backspin that is unreturnable; in the final match Khoo faces white Khoo and both Khoo Woo for 3 hours straight until Khoo finally gets a break point and wins.

Tell me you would not watch that movie

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fosterdid wrote: »
    Someone should take a screen capture of that one guy from screenlife humping the other guy and simply add a caption: "The guys who make scene-it."

And is Mike really done with ping-pong? Like I caught that they were making a joke of the grandeur of his personal wound and whatnot, but why would one quit because of incidentally being part of a game where a guy rams his arm into a wall and dislocates his own shoulder, at no fault to oneself?
    It seems like Mike was also mocking the irrationality of feeling responsible for it.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, that whole thing seemed pretty tongue-in-cheek.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kiko's match did look pretty awesome. The editing work/music made him look pretty bad ass

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Someone should take a screen capture of that one guy from screenlife humping the other guy and simply add a caption: "The guys who make scene-it."

And is Mike really done with ping-pong? Like I caught that they were making a joke of the grandeur of his personal wound and whatnot, but why would one quit because of incidentally being part of a game where a guy rams his arm into a wall and dislocates his own shoulder, at no fault to oneself?
    It seems like Mike was also mocking the irrationality of feeling responsible for it.

Well, apparently he's back on the board for the Bungie match.

http://twitpic.com/3zxq93

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have to assume Mike just couldn't go that day, for whatever reason

Maybe he couldn't get permission from back home

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Willeth wrote: »

Or, since there's only 1 Mike on the board, that's Fehlauer.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mr. G wrote: »

Nope.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kiko confirmation
    "Yes that is @cwgabriel on the ladder."

e:beat

BoomShake on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mr. G wrote: »

If I remember right, Fehlauer shows up on the ladder as Feh

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    SkipSkip Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BoomShake wrote: »
    Kiko confirmation
    "Yes that is @cwgabriel on the ladder."

*ROCKY THEME*

Skip on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Then the question is, what happened to OtherMike?

I can only assume that there was an epic Death Match to choose the One True Mike.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    Penny Arcade has been trying to push for a game industry ping pong league (you'll see the word GIPPL every now and then on our whiteboards) for a few years now. We've gotten Popcap, Amaze/F9, Surreal/Midway, Popcap, Microsoft, Bungie, Screenlife, Suckerpunch and Sony Online Entertainment to all participate. It's tough tho - game release schedules are tough to work around.

You realize pointing out Khoo's mistakes qualifies you for erasure from existence?

Who are you talking to?

After each of these ping pong episodes, I start shopping around for a new paddle (and want to learn penhold) and looking for the Ping Pong and Ping Pong Playa movies. Playa is available for instant viewing on Netflix, but Ping Pong (which I like more) is not. :(

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I can only assume that there was an epic Death Match to choose the One True Mike.

The short version is: there is only one Mike on the ladder, and it isn't me.

The long version is that I've retired from ping pong. The effort-required/enjoyment-received ratio became unfavorable: the quality of play had risen to the point that I'd have had to start taking lessons (or playing more often than 1/week) in order to stay competitive. Honestly, I'd rather invest that time elsewhere. For example, if I'm going to be taking any sort of lesson, I'd prefer to take fencing lessons from my rapier instructor. Or dancing lessons; I've got a wedding coming up this July, after all. :)

Mike Fehlauer on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The long version is that I've retired from ping pong. The effort-required/enjoyment-received ratio became unfavorable: the quality of play had risen to the point that I'd have had to start taking lessons (or playing more often than 1/week) in order to stay competitive. Honestly, I'd rather invest that time elsewhere. For example, if I'm going to be taking any sort of lesson, I'd prefer to take fencing lessons from my rapier instructor. Or dancing lessons; I've got a wedding coming up this July, after all. :)

Sooo... rapier dancing?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Any chance the PATV cameras will be at your wedding?

Roger Wilco on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Oh man I feel you there. Getting married in October and the future missus wanted to do dancing lessons. We went once, were awful at it to the point of swearing it off for life and decided to just read a sarcastic poem about ourselves instead.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Danceless wedding worked well for me :)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    joshua1 wrote: »

Sooo... rapier dancing?

Actually, I've done that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3tANSDYEs .

(that's not me in the video, but I have performed that dance)

One of the good things about archaic dancing is that some of them are very choreographed. If you can walk, you can "dance". At least, dance in the SCA. Which, given the libations and costumes, is really really fun.

No archaic dances for the wedding, though. My first Salsa lesson is Sunday. Wish me luck.

Mike Fehlauer on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So for those of you who have a custom paddle (PA employees or otherwise), how do you go about selecting your blades/rubber? I play very recreationally (once or twice a month) but I've always loved the sport. My last store-bought paddle is starting to break down and I'm getting the itch to purchase something a bit nicer.

I've been looking at Paddle Palace and they have a Stiga Allround Classic with Yasaka Mark V Rubber combo for $80 that looks like a decent beginning setup. Some of the sites online have recommended the blade and rubber (among many others) as a good start.

So how do you guys pick from the large amount of types out there? It's overwhelming.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Any chance the PATV cameras will be at your wedding?

This is pretty creepy sounding, to me.

Goose! on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hope the next ep is about video games.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    video whats

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What do you think we are around here, some kinda nerds?

Gaslight on
This discussion has been closed.