As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA XIII: UFC FIGHT NIGHT 24: PHIL DAVIS V.S ROGERIO NOGUEIRA [GET HYPED]

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The solution is obvious.

Plexiglas cube (complete with roof, with air holes punched in it like you did with jars when you were a kid). Or half-dodecahedron, whatever Everyone can see what's going on, but there's still barriers in place.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    THE SPHERE OF DEATH.

I rest my case.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    THUNDERDOME.

I rest my case.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Elevated platform. Slight upwards slope at two opposing ends. Montages. Synth music!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The ring is annoying as hell because it requires constant ref interference. The cage is annoying because you can press guys up against it which makes grappling wayyy more effective, and stalling in the standing clinch very easy.

A flat mat would result in frequent re-starts, and would require the extra rule of not being allowed to leave the ring voluntarily. Or you could bring in sumo type rules and deduct points from anyone that steps or falls over the line.

It would be cool to see how different styles adapt to the environment. Cool as well to see an org that used more than one version (like bodog I guess) forcing guys to learn multiple versions and gameplan around that.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    It would be cool to see how different styles adapt to the environment. Cool as well to see an org that used more than one version (like bodog I guess) forcing guys to learn multiple versions and gameplan around that.

they should take a page from pro wrestling's book and give them cool names too
    "Hell in a cell"
    "rage in the cage"
    "beating in the ring?" <i got nothin here

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Kickin' Ass in Plexiglass?"

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They should just skip having a cage/ring and have the fighters fight in a room made out to look like a bar or nightclub each time instead

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    And now the post that all of you that care have been waiting for!

First, I want to share a story: A fist fight broke out between two guys at the tourney. According to NAGA rules, you're not allowed to slam opponents while you're in their guard or while you're in any submissions of theirs (ala Rampage). Well, one guy is trapped in an armbar and sorta slams the guy to try and get out of it. It wasn't very hard, but you're not supposed to do it at all.

Well, bottom guy didn't take this very well. He let go of the armbar and launched about 3 or 4 punches rapid fire right into the other guy's face and their two camps have to come out and separate them. Silly geese.

Anyway, onto the videos:

My first match of the day was No-Gi and I was dead tired for it. Our bracket got delayed by about 2 hours because the kid's divisions didn't finish when they were supposed to. Me, being stupid, didn't have any snacks on hand and the last meal I had was about 3 or 4 hours before my match. I was running on fumes before the match even started and as you can see from the video, we had to go into a 2 minute overtime.

Admittedly, I also need to lose some pounds and get out of the heavyweight division. It would probably help my stamina. :D

I'm on the right with the red marker around my foot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HSumHcb2v4

I also had 2 Gi matches. After the No-Gi I was able to get some food and recharge my batteries a bit, so I didn't do nearly as bad.

I won my first match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6g14TAOdQ

But I got handled badly in my second match. Really badly. So badly, that at around 0:40, you can see him slap a standing cross collar choke on me that I had to work pretty hard to get out of. Ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYs4Kv39EgQ

Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way first.

I know my takedown defense sucks. I also know that my takedowns are basically non-existent. I've only been doing this about a year now and takedowns have not really been on my practice list. It's something I plan on working on.

I also know that in the Gi matches, I don't use Gi control nearly as much as I should. Grabbing lapels and sleeves is just something I don't really think of in the moment and considering how much I get controlled by other people doing it to me, you'd think I'd start doing it back. But I don't and I didn't. It's one more thing I'll be working on.

Aside from that, any constructive criticism is welcome. You can also comments on how spiffy my blue Nike Pro compression shorts looked when my Gi bottoms got pulled down. :D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You and Werdum had become great friends. How it’d be like to confront him on the semifinals?

Me and Werdum laugh a lot, we jokes about everybody, I can’t even describe how great he is. He’s a very nice guy, we get along well and we party every time we see each other. We’ve lunched, had dinner, went shopping together, when I was on my room I called him to run at the gym, but we’re professionals. I have my family, two daughters, and he has his wife, his daughter, and if we fight each other it’s for the business. We can’t not fight each other just because we’re friends. Two friends play against each other at soccer, even two brothers, even father and son and it won’t be any different on MMA because it a sport like the others. If we have to do it, then we’ll go out for pizzas, like it happened now, and I guarantee you that the one who’s on the finale will have the other’s support, praying and cheering so that Brazil is the champion. We want Brazil to get the first place, and that’s what matters.
    Bigfoot interview.

Take that, AKA/Jacksons/etc.

815165 on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How did points work Willy?

Or was it entirely subs needed?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    fmz65 wrote: »
    How did points work Willy?

Or was it entirely subs needed?

For reference, I was in adult White Belt and adult Beginner No-Gi.

NAGA Rules and Judging Criteria

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I watched the first fight thinking Chilly was the wrong guy, ha. I figured he was doing really well, go figure.

You did well when you were in mount. Your opponent had rather poor defense from there, he wasn't bridging at all. Going for the arm triangle at the start, and as a way to get into mount was a good idea. Though I think you should have given up on the arm triangle once in mount. If you'd felt you'd had it, you could have bailed to side control to finish it. Even better, when setting it up from side, you could have hopped right over to the other side to finish. Tricky I know, your opponent will have a decent chance of regaining half or full guard while you hop if your timing is off. As it was, you got mount, solid. After that he knew you were going for the choke, and so you had almost no chance of actually getting it. Arm triangles are a good surprise move, but you can't really spam them and expect them to work. From mount you could have instead moved higher on his chest and worked something from there, armbars or triangles or whatever.

Also, were you being cornered? I couldn't hear anyone shouting you instructions although maybe I was listening to the wrong people.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Win or lose a ton of props to ChillyWilly for getting out there and doing it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    1st Gi match: good job.

you may know, but I'll use judo terminology here: "uke" means "your opponent"

Your escape from knee on belly was excellent, I really liked that. As well when you reversed uke as he tried to move from side to mount on you. I normally just hook the legs, but pushing uke away obviously worked great.

When you got reversed top side control: you have to be able to transition before he does. You had the cross face and the farside underhook, which is good. But, uke had that pesky forearm on your face, pushing you away. That sucks, I know. Its hard to flatten a guy out when he's pressing on your face like that. I felt you were trying to just crush him, but the space he had allowed him to just turn away and reverse you. If uke has that pressure on your face he creates good space; it becomes very difficult to really pin him down. When I feel a guy doing that I'll typically move to north south; I'll move my head lower on his body so it stops the forearm pressure, my underhooking hand will go to his near hip to prevent him from turning in, and my chest will rest on his chest and my hips go to the floor to prevent him from rolling away from you. I don't really stay here, I'll just go there for a moment while I feel uke trying to escape, then go back to side to resume my offense.

Other than that one reversal you gave up I think you did very well in that. Was that a green belt by the way?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://dreamfighters.com/?p=2707
    So, I guess rumor has it that Rich Franklin is going to hang it up after one more fight.

I'm kind of speechless.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    :^: Will, now we can feed you hell, forever.

At 5:20 in the first video, the guy lets go of what looks like a pretty decent triangle. Any idea why?

Where's the Dumb & Dumber rash guard? Do you need a sponsor or something? :P

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Aside from that, any constructive criticism is welcome.
    It's too bad those NAGA rules ban wristlocks at your level. I would have advised some Aikido wristlocks that would've helped against the constant gi-grabbing.

Tycho covered the first vid pretty well. In the 2nd vid, good job on winning. You did let him get under your hips at around 2:00 which allowed him to sweep you. When he took side control he stabilized decently, for comparison. Was there a reason you didn't get your hooks in at around 2:42-8 to take his back and 4 points? He dropped over your left leg which allowed him to turn into you and escape.
    adytum wrote: »
    At 5:20 in the first video, the guy lets go of what looks like a pretty decent triangle. Any idea why?
    Willy was basically standing with a knee on his opponent's ribs to create space. The opponent didn't have it locked in and wasn't controlling Willy.

• Options
    edited February 2011
    No corner for me. My wonderful girlfriend was recording and although she has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, she doesn't know shit about Jiu-Jitsu. :D

@Tycho: Yeah. The arm triangle is my go to move from side mount and I rely on it way too much. Sadly, I don't have a vast repertoire of moves at my disposal even after a year. Again, more work is needed on my part. I think I do pretty well for someone who's done 6 months of Gi training under a blue belt and 6 more months in an MMA gym, but I have so much room for improvement it's not even funny.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    B:L wrote: »
    Willy was basically standing with a knee on his opponent's ribs to create space. The opponent didn't have it locked in and wasn't controlling Willy.

Aha, I see, the guy bailed on the triangle as soon as Will worked his knee in.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Aside from that, any constructive criticism is welcome.
    It's too bad those NAGA rules ban wristlocks at your level. I would have advised some Aikido wristlocks that would've helped against the constant gi-grabbing.

Tycho covered the first vid pretty well. In the 2nd vid, good job on winning. You did let him get under your hips at around 2:00 which allowed him to sweep you. When he took side control he stabilized decently, for comparison. Was there a reason you didn't get your hooks in at around 2:42-8 to take his back and 4 points? He dropped over your left leg which allowed him to turn into you and escape.

Looking back, I'm really not sure why I didn't put the hooks in. I miss the simple stuff sometimes. Don't really have a good reason why. Logically, I know that he could have easily escaped that (which he did) and if someone got on my back like that and didn't put hooks in, I would have escaped exactly the same way. It's a really basic escape. But I missed it in the moment somehow.

As for the triangle escape, it's basically what you said. Amazingly, if you sit all your weight into a guy's ribs with your knee and press into him, it makes holding onto a triangle extremely uncomfortable. :D

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    1st Gi match: good job.

you may know, but I'll use judo terminology here: "uke" means "your opponent"

Your escape from knee on belly was excellent, I really liked that. As well when you reversed uke as he tried to move from side to mount on you. I normally just hook the legs, but pushing uke away obviously worked great.

When you got reversed top side control: you have to be able to transition before he does. You had the cross face and the farside underhook, which is good. But, uke had that pesky forearm on your face, pushing you away. That sucks, I know. Its hard to flatten a guy out when he's pressing on your face like that. I felt you were trying to just crush him, but the space he had allowed him to just turn away and reverse you. If uke has that pressure on your face he creates good space; it becomes very difficult to really pin him down. When I feel a guy doing that I'll typically move to north south; I'll move my head lower on his body so it stops the forearm pressure, my underhooking hand will go to his near hip to prevent him from turning in, and my chest will rest on his chest and my hips go to the floor to prevent him from rolling away from you. I don't really stay here, I'll just go there for a moment while I feel uke trying to escape, then go back to side to resume my offense.

Other than that one reversal you gave up I think you did very well in that. Was that a green belt by the way?

I didn't really notice it before, but yeah. He looks to be a green belt.

Most teachers give stripes to their students who are between belt ranks (generally up to 4...so someone working towards their blue belt could be a 3-stripe white belt and be pretty close to moving up), but I've heard of some schools giving out belts that aren't the standard 5 colors instead of using stripes.

On top of that, I've also seen green belts be used as a belt ranking for practitioners who aren't 18 yet. This guy was in the adult division, so I don't think that's why he was wearing a green one.

Thanks for the write-up, by the way. :D

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There's another tournament in the same area in another 3 weeks. I'm thinking about hitting that one up, too.

I think I'm going to drill a couple of simple takedowns to prepare for this one. Every one of my matches starts with me getting taken down with my opponent generally on my back and in control with me having to fight back to a more dominant position. The only plus side to that approach is that my choke defense from the back is pretty good. Otherwise, I kind of look silly.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll put up some QQ later, Chilly. For now, I am disheartened. Day by day more veterans of the sport are retiring.

Franklin looks like he still has more mileage in him. I presume he's retiring because he doesn't have the same drive anymore. Can't blame him.

Hasn't stuck to one weight class in a good while. Career going through ups and downs on a near constant basis. Tough end to an impressive career.

I know he's just hanging up the gloves before they lose their shine, but I also know he'll win his last fight because he's still a serious threat to any body.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There's another tournament in the same area in another 3 weeks. I'm thinking about hitting that one up, too.

I think I'm going to drill a couple of simple takedowns to prepare for this one. Every one of my matches starts with me getting taken down with my opponent generally on my back and in control with me having to fight back to a more dominant position. The only plus side to that approach is that my choke defense from the back is pretty good. Otherwise, I kind of look silly.
    A good corner would really help a lot too. You saw in the vid how one of your opponents looked clueless, his corner shouted a command at him, and he executed it to an advantageous position. It is really helpful to have someone there to remind you to put those hooks in, and your girlfriend shouting "GET UP! GET UP!" prolly isn't helping much.
    Just like in bed HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    edited February 2011
    It is really helpful to have someone there to remind you to put those hooks in, and your girlfriend shouting "GET UP! GET UP!" prolly isn't helping much.

So I can see that ChillyWilly's girl friend trained with Tito Ortiz and Josh Koscheck.

Of course, she is still an amateur cornerman. A professional such as Ortiz would cut straight to the point.

UPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUP

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    krapst78 wrote: »

are you sure this isnt about jeopardy?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    hahaha yeah, i'm still pretty embarrassed about that.

krapst78 on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jesus that is fucking annoying.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kurt Pellegrino is always annoying.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    First of all, major props, ChillyWilly.

I'm not going to critique because frankly, you already know what aspects of your skills need to be focused on for now.

If you attended that upcoming tournament your chances of doing better are definitely higher with your new found perspective.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    facetious wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Strikeforce events aren't complete without those special Gus Johnson moments.

i still maintain that up-jabs are not an actual thing.

WHAT?

Did..

please tell me Gus Johnson actually said that at some point.

Also, I'm down for PAFC4!

that upjabs aren't an actual thing or using the phrase upjabs? Cause he used it like 8 times when a dude was fighting a much taller fighter. can't remember the exact fight.
    someone should tell him that overhand punches are really called "downercuts" :P

Which I still think would be an amazing name for an emo band.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for sharing the videos with us Chilly. I thought you did pretty well that first no-gi round. One thing I noticed was a missed a chance for a sweep from back mount at around the 2:05 mark. You basically had the sweep 90% done (grabbing the attacking arm the proper way and attaining wrist control) until you let go of his right wrist. You can sweep into his guard by holding onto that wrist, bucking then straightening your right leg, and then pulling his wrist across your body. It's actually pretty effective when the opponent is fairly high on your back.

Also I totally agree with you, collar chokes are a bitch, even if you don't end up submitting because of it.

krapst78 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    :^: Will, now we can feed you hell, forever.

Where's the Dumb & Dumber rash guard? Do you need a sponsor or something? :P

Forgot to respond to this.

The Dumb and Dumber rash guard came in the mail yesterday. It should have been here before the tourney, but that's life. I need to lose some weight before I wear it anyway. Makes me look like 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. :D

Thanks for the critiques, folks. Hopefully I'll be able to take my lady along with me to the next tournament and record that as well. I'll try and make you bitches proud.

Now on to the latest MMA news: I'm not surprised that Rich is thinking about hanging it up. He's still a dangerous guy, but he's not going to be champion at MW or LHW. He's still a great ambassador to the sport, though, so I hope he gets a Chuck Liddell-esque position and continues to get paid by the company. He deserves it for work he's put in.

He's always been one of my favorites and I hope he can get a win in his last fight.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Whenever somebody brings up collar chokes I make a Nick Diaz face because fuck them.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Whenever somebody brings up collar chokes I make a Nick Diaz face because fuck them.

Don't tell Roger Gracie that. :D

News: The UFC has signed 20-2 heavyweight Dave "Pee Wee" Herman

The names he's beaten aren't all that impressive, but his record is good and he has a ton of first round finishes. Should be interesting to see how he does in the UFC.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chilly do you have a heavy bag or any large ish sized sack that can simulate dead weight?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Don't tell Roger Gracie that. :D

News: The UFC has signed 20-2 heavyweight Dave "Pee Wee" Herman

The names he's beaten aren't all that impressive, but his record is good and he has a ton of first round finishes. Should be interesting to see how he does in the UFC.

I just like the fact his name is "Pee Wee" Herman, that's hilarious. Now all he needs to do is come to the cage with Cowboy Curtis and Chairy and he'll have the greatest entrance of all time.

curtis.jpg

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    edited February 2011