As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

9/11: why haven't we been attacked again?

r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Almost 10 years ago, Bin Laden sent 19 of his men on a suicide mission that killed 3,000 Americans and destroyed millions and billions of dollars of American infrastructure and wealth. He then issued video recordings where he swore that the United States is his enemy and wanted to do everything he could to hurt us for our crimes against him and his people.

Since then, America hasn't really been attacked. Bin Laden has access to millions of dollars of wealth and is connected to a global terrorist organization with similar ideals. All the United States has done to protect themselves is come up with a color-coded chart for how dangerous things are and put in place machines that let the security guards see your twig and berries when you go to board a plane. There are plenty of ripe targets throughout the United States. Just 5 suicide bombers setting off bombs in the security lines of 5 of the busiest airports on a Friday would probably kill or injure just as many people as the 19 on 9/11. Such an attack would also result in billions of dollars of financial damage as the airline industry tries to recover.

So why hasn't OBL been successful in orchestrating such an attack? I remember people saying how his organization works in mysterious ways and waits for the right opportunity. Are we just doing that good of a job with our airport security, no-fly lists, and counter-intelligence? Are the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan really depleting their resources? Last I heard, Al Qaeda in Afghanistan is able to continue to mount attacks against US forces there. Surely they could somehow transport 5 suicide bombers and some C4 to US shores. I just can't figure it out...

r4dr3z on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The result of their attacks led to tens of thousands of "his people" dying.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    9/11 was a circus of triumph, failure, and luck. It was an odd combination of factors that aren't likely to come up again in any of our lifetimes.

MKR on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Terrorist organisations across the middle east have access to hundreds of disillusioned and angry young men with very limited education who are highly susceptible to brainwashing. Deploying these men as suicide bombers to destroy parts of the middle east where they blend in perfectly and are not at all suspicious is not that difficult for a network which specializes in getting them angry, removing their restraints with conditioning, and promising them rewards after death. Also, in the turbulent atmosphere of a country at war it is easy for people to be seperated from their families and support networks leaving the terrorist cell as their only contact point.

However, here in the US this isn't the case. While he may have sympathizers, he has very few people who are willing to die for him and have their familes face the consequences of their actions. People also tend to be wealthier and better educated. If Jimmy dissapears to go to a terrorist training camp in Ohio, someone is likely to report it.

Terrorist attacks are easy and pretty much unavoidable if you can find people willing to die for you. Finding people willing to do that (who are also sane enough to carry out a reasonable plan of attack and not mess up the bombing) is pretty hard in the US, and smuggling someone into the US to carry out such an attack is hard because the people you have don't blend in in the US.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Weren't the 9/11 guys fairly well educated middle-class guys?

There was a study a while back that did psych profiles of suicide bombers and the 9/11 guys and found that most of them were highly suicidal (duh). That makes them prime candidates for manipulation for a Death By Cop on a grand scale.

Ah yes, here's the article.
    Lankford's forthcoming study, to be published early next year, is "far more robust" than his first: a list of more than 75 suicide terrorists and why they were likely suicidal. He cites a Palestinian woman who, five months after lighting herself on fire in her parents' kitchen, attempted a return to the hospital that saved her life. But this time she approached with a pack of bombs wrapped around her body, working as an "ideologue" in the service of the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade.
    Lankford writes of al Qaeda-backed terrorists in Iraq who would target and rape local women, and then see to it that the victims were sent to Samira Ahmed Jassim. Jassim would convince these traumatized women that the only way to escape public scorn was martyrdom. She was so successful she became known as the Mother of Believers. "If you just needed true believers, you wouldn't need them to be raped first," Lankford said in an interview.

Lankford is also intrigued by the man who in some sense launched the current study of suicide terrorism: Mohammed Atta, the ringleader behind the 9/11 hijacking. "It's overwhelming, his traits of suicidality," Lankford said. An isolated, neglected childhood, pathologically ashamed of any sexual expression. "According to the National Institute of Mental Health there are 11 signs, 11 traits and symptoms for a man being depressed," Lankford said. "Atta exhibited eight of them."

Echo on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We have magical anti-tiger rocks.

Actually, if somebody was absolutely determined to carry out another terrorist attack on the US, they would do it and there wouldn't be a whole lot we could do to stop them, given enough funding and training. Fortunately, as tbloxham pointed out, there aren't many of those people here and we're pretty good at keeping them out.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yep. In general, someone with the wits and funds to carry it out has better things to do with their time and money.

MKR on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Look how effective the first attack was, despite the reprisals.

It's like the Filibuster in the last session; you don't actually need to do it to screw with the other guys, the threat of it alone is enough to keep them dancing about.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, while there haven't been repeated attacks on USA, there have most certainly been more attacks since.

Echo on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seems pretty simple to me - these major dramatic attacks are damned hard to pull off anyway, and they've now got a much more tempting option. It's a hell of a lot easier to get your insurgents to place a roadside bomb in Afganistan than it is sneaking them into Michigan.

Part of it is that terrorists are complete idiots, too. Planes and major buildings in population centers are very well secured but much of our infrastructure and most public places are completely vulernable. Hell, 2 dudes with a rifle and a crappy car sent DC into a virtual panic - if they had any sense, they could actually impact the lives of many individuals, possibly even on a mass scale.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another thing is that they accomplished their goal: they made us afraid. Terror. You know, part of the job description and all.

We're still frightened out of our wits in this country, or we wouldn't have things like the Patriot Act and warning levels and fearmongering on the news etc. etc. etc.

They may as well save their resources until we've gotten over it before they risk attacking us on our home soil again.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They don't need to do anything. They got us to make the TSA, which is like the DOT but worse. Job complete! Mission Accomplished!

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Because our evil overlords here in the United States haven't allowed it to happen again.

Yet.
    I keed

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've often thought that if they truly want to disrupt and terrify people, blowing stuff up is not the answer. Disrupting television broadcasts would be much more effective. There have been very few live interruptions of TV (the Captain Midnight and the Max Headroom incidents are the only ones that come to mind in the US). Imagine a pirate signal broadcast into, let's say, American Idol. That'll scare the living bejezus out of people.

Of course, I don't know if that technology exists, so I'm likely just talking out of my ass here.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    9/11 was a circus of triumph, failure, and luck. It was an odd combination of factors that aren't likely to come up again in any of our lifetimes.

Pretty much. The terrorists were incredibly lucky. Plus, when anti-terrorism efforts work, the public never hears about it. As a CIA analyst told me, their jobs are similar to that of a referee. You only make news when you screw up.

Bin Laden was as surprised as we were when the towers fell. It was a black swan.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well we have put significant pressures on their operational ability abroad. So while they still may be active something on the scale of 9/11 may not be in their capacity anymore.

Additionally, they got lucky with 9/11 as it was.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Duuuh. The TSA & The Patriot Act keeping you safe, of course.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Bin Laden was as surprised as we were when the towers fell. It was a black swan.

The whole plan was just to crash planes into WTC.

Both buildings collapsing was completely unplanned.

I also recall reading something about how Al Qaida was completely unprepared for the speed and magnitude with which USA reacted. They were expecting analysis paralysis and indecision.

Echo on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Because Bin Laden never did it. The United States Government did it.

IT WAS ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!!

>_>

WMain00 on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How much training do you need to hijack a plane with a box-cutter? I mean really?

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »

The whole plan was just to crash planes into WTC.

Both buildings collapsing was completely unplanned.

I also recall reading something about how Al Qaida was completely unprepared for the speed and magnitude with which USA reacted. They were expecting analysis paralysis and indecision.

Yup. They didn't expect to succeed in hijacking multiple planes; that was redundancy. There were dozens of attempted attacks in the years before 9/11 and all failed. That's why al Qaeda relied on sheer probability. If you try enough attacks, one will work by sheer dumb luck.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    I've often thought that if they truly want to disrupt and terrify people, blowing stuff up is not the answer. Disrupting television broadcasts would be much more effective. There have been very few live interruptions of TV (the Captain Midnight and the Max Headroom incidents are the only ones that come to mind in the US). Imagine a pirate signal broadcast into, let's say, American Idol. That'll scare the living bejezus out of people.

Of course, I don't know if that technology exists, so I'm likely just talking out of my ass here.

You can't just set up a radio and override a broadcast unless your only goal was to annoy the neighbor in the apartment next to yours.

"Martha! Ahmed next door's replacing our Seinfeld reruns with islamic propaganda again!"

All the stories I've read of terrorists indicate to me that either a) they don't actually want to die all that much, and delay any action forever and just talk, and b) they're pretty damn stupid.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    How much training do you need to hijack a plane with a box-cutter? I mean really?

That's also a big factor: up until 9/11, "plane hijacking" was synonymous with "fly us to Cuba and we'll negotiate a hostage release." That was the mindset, so the passengers cooperated so they could land safely.

If someone pulls a box cutter on a plane post-9/11, I'd expect him to get torn limb from limb by the passengers.

Echo on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The color-coded warning system was abolished, last I heard, precisely because it was completely pointless. They only ever used the top three colors.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Didn't Bin Laden declare war on us something like 30 years before 9/11?

MKR on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

These days? A fair bit considering you can no longer get into the pilot's cabin with just a knife.

Scooter on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Echo wrote: »

That's also a big factor: up until 9/11, "plane hijacking" was synonymous with "fly us to Cuba and we'll negotiate a hostage release." That was the mindset, so the passengers cooperated so they could land safely.

If someone pulls a box cutter on a plane post-9/11, I'd expect him to get torn limb from limb by the passengers.

Someone needs to post the "Soul Plane 2" trailer, as it showed exactly that.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Because Bin Laden never did it. The United States Government did it.

IT WAS ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!!

>_>

Yes that man!

Pretty obvious to people with eyes open

Kworn on
  • Options
    KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Ummm, I think you will find if you look at your history, the americans sold arms to Bin laden to fight off the ruskys.

The USA and Bin laden were friends in the 80's

Kworn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kworn wrote: »

Ummm, I think you will find if you look at your history. The americans sold arms to Bin laden to fight off the ruskys.

Anyone on these forums is aware that we paid the startup costs for most of our enemies. That doesn't answer my question.

MKR on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OBL is most likely dead

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Actually, even on the day of the WTC attack itself, Flight 93 attacked the hijackers, preventing them from reaching their goal.

I imagine today this would be an even more common response to a hijacking of a plane with no air marshal aboard.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

30 years would put that in 1971, which was before the Soviets in Afghanistan, so no.

He was pissed when the Saudis turned down his offer to protect Saudi Arabia against Iraq following Saddam's invasion of Kuwait, and that the Saudis instead chose to let American troops in. That's the big beef between him and the US, that "infidels" were (still are, actually) occupying the land of Mecca and Medina.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    BubbaT wrote: »

30 years would put that in 1971, which was before the Soviets in Afghanistan, so no.

He was pissed when the Saudis turned down his offer to protect Saudi Arabia against Iraq following Saddam's invasion of Kuwait, and that the Saudis instead chose to let American troops in. That's the big beef between him and the US, that "infidels" were (still are, actually) occupying the land of Mecca and Medina.

This is what I was thinking of. :D

MKR on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually, even on the day of the WTC attack itself, Flight 93 attacked the hijackers, preventing them from reaching their goal.

I imagine today this would be an even more common response to a hijacking of a plane with no air marshal aboard.

It's always sad to remember that for me - they fought back and the plane still went down.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It's always sad to remember that for me - they fought back and the plane still went down.

It was preferable to the alternative of the image of the center of power in the country in flames making it a tiny bit easier to find smarter angry youths to carry out more successful attacks.

Thinking about it that way makes it easier to handle.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, if you're gonna die anyway, you might as well save other lives with your last few hours

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, if you're gonna die anyway, you might as well personally kill the mother fucker responsible

Fixed. Saving lives is the icing and hard candy letters.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't find it now, but I remember reading somewhere that one of the goals of the attack was to goad the US into an unwinnable war in the Middle East.

There's no real reason for al Qaeda to actually do another successful attack. They have the infamy and recognition from the first one. They already run it like a Franchise There was no al-Qaeda in Iraq before the US response to 9/11.
    "All we have to do is send two mujaheddin . . . to raise a small piece of cloth on which is written 'al-Qaeda' in order to make the generals race there, to cause America to suffer human, economic and political losses."

Ted Koppel's view on it.

I don't think people are seriously planning an attack like that because they don't need to in order to invoke the same response. Why spend all that time and planning on real terrorism when you can just send a suicidal teenage with explosives packed in his underwear to get caught and scare people?

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Scooter wrote: »

These days? A fair bit considering you can no longer get into the pilot's cabin with just a knife.
    Installing armored doors in cockpits made the possibility of another 9/11 type attack (or hijacking in general) nearly impossible.

Terrorists will keep trying to smuggle bombs onto planes, but they don't really have the ability to take over a plane and use it as a missile anymore.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited February 2011
    And a bomb that goes off isn't even a sure thing.

MKR on