As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At least the rerun of American Dad they showed later that night was good.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, Simpsons was... what it was.

Why are they so afraid to change anything on this stupid show? They killed Maude like, fifteen years ago and got some awesome stories out of it. Why are they so afraid to upset the status quo on this lingering hellscape of a show?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I dunno, for being a recycled plot I thought it was pretty darn good. And I think "lingering hellscape" is a little strong, since you said you've liked the last few episodes. :P

Also, nice use of semi-Spider-Pig.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    American Dad is jamming in the funny for the first act.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "I've got a big chin-chin-chinny!"
    "It goes well with my vagin-gin-giny!"

What the hell? That doesn't make sense. Stan inserts his chin into .... ack!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is this a new episode?

My DVR will catch it I guess.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    2..............million yayyyyy

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man, the Simpsons' timing has gotten a lot crisper lately. Very good stuff.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait, there was a new episode of American Dad? Crap!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, how's this gonna end? You can't cram 5 shows into a two-hour block?!

Malkor on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    Yeah, how's this gonna end? You can't cram 5 shows into a two-hour block?!

Technically it's 2.5. Starts at 7:30 but that slot is pre empted by football/baseball/fooseball world cup 99% of the time

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm watching the new American Dad and man is this episode weird so far. Particularly when Stan starts acting like a preacher and it cuts to Jeff speaking in tongues on the floor. And then moments later a marching band walks through the room.

Stan: "We go to together like Steve's palm..."
    Francine: "...and a gallon of Lubriderm."

Principal Lewis: "Dear Math Bitch..."

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's kind of like American Dad fell into a vat of radioactive Family Guy.

The jokes were funny and there were a lot of them, but I didn't care for the shift in style.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's kind of like American Dad fell into a vat of radioactive Family Guy.

The jokes were funny and there were a lot of them, but I didn't care for the shift in style.

Meanwhile FG followed a linear, coherent plot with few throwaway pop culture references. The Back to the Future bit even tied directly into the plot.

/checkscalendarforOppositeDay

BubbaT on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, American Dad definitely felt like it had been injected with a dose of Family Guy, especially during the first act. Hopefully that doesn't become common.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, American Dad was really really odd. And they are using that stupid principal way too much. It's like that character was lifted carte blanch from Family Guy and is easily the worst thing about AD.

Simpson's was not terrible. This season has not been awful honestly, but that's still the best thing I can say about it. Maybe this is a sign of an uplift, but honestly until they stop playing it so safe it's never going to be anything other then okay or meh.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Family Guy was actually great this week, I didn't think they'd do another time-travel episode. Seemed almost like Futurama for a bit. Weird.

AD : "Don't. Take. THE FAT KIDS CANDY!" :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yeah, American Dad was really really odd. And they are using that stupid principal way too much. It's like that character was lifted carte blanch from Family Guy and is easily the worst thing about AD.

Simpson's was not terrible. This season has not been awful honestly, but that's still the best thing I can say about it. Maybe this is a sign of an uplift, but honestly until they stop playing it so safe it's never going to be anything other then okay or meh.

...Lisa willingly kissing Milhouse is playing it safe? I thought that was weapons-grade fan provokin', myself. Especially after... how long has Milhouse pined for Lisa? 15 years?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Cleveland Show was pretty great! They hit a huge low with the booger episode, but have been pretty consistent after that (in a good way).

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

...Lisa willingly kissing Milhouse is playing it safe? I thought that was weapons-grade fan provokin', myself. Especially after... how long has Milhouse pined for Lisa? 15 years?

If it ever gets mentioned again, in the entirety of the shows history, I will send you 50 bucks.

And they kissed in the future episode and she fell in love with him practically in the episode where he teaches her Italian, so I don't know where you are getting the idea that this is revolutionary.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2011

If it ever gets mentioned again, in the entirety of the shows history, I will send you 50 bucks.

And they kissed in the future episode and she fell in love with him practically in the episode where he teaches her Italian, so I don't know where you are getting the idea that this is revolutionary.

A kiss is the network equivalent of the money shot. It's the type of thing entertainment writers hyperventilate over.

Still, what could the Simpsons do that isn't "safe?" I'd say Family Guy is doing plenty that's not "safe" at the moment, but that hasn't realy been well-received either.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

A kiss is the network equivalent of the money shot. It's the type of thing entertainment writers hyperventilate over.

Still, what could the Simpsons do that isn't "safe?" I'd say Family Guy is doing plenty that's not "safe" at the moment, but that hasn't realy been well-received either.

It's been as well received as anything. They've killed off characters this season and had actual stories that dealt with the consequences of such. Well, in the sense that Family Guy has stories rather then a disjointed series of events. As I said earlier, the last time the Simpson's had anything of consequence happen was Maude like 15 years ago.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2011

It's been as well received as anything. They've killed off characters this season and had actual stories that dealt with the consequences of such. Well, in the sense that Family Guy has stories rather then a disjointed series of events. As I said earlier, the last time the Simpson's had anything of consequence happen was Maude like 15 years ago.

I dunno, I was under the impression that in general, this thread hates Family Guy about as much as The Simpsons.

So... you're asking for the continuity to change? The continuity in the Simpsons didn't really change during the early seasons people allow themselves to like, so why move the goalposts now?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I dunno, I was under the impression that in general, this thread hates Family Guy about as much as The Simpsons.

So... you're asking for the continuity to change? The continuity in the Simpsons didn't really change during the early seasons people allow themselves to like, so why move the goalposts now?

I am not moving the goalposts. I am merely stating that their reliance on the reset button has gotten ridiculous. The Armen Tamzarian episode was a bit much, but the Fat Tony episode was mind-bogglingly stupid. I don't care if they don't make any major changes, but making completely stupid changes and then hitting a retarded reset button at the end of the episode is getting insanely dumb.

Now, that isn't happening every episode, and thank god, but it's still pretty bad.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ...how long has Milhouse pined for Lisa? 15 years?

15 years? Why are they still in elementary school? What's going on?!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

Springfield is a lie... A shadowy, underground cabal is secretly suppressing their ageing process... It's in the water... :P ;-)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Simpsons was great.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

Springfield is a lie... A shadowy, underground cabal is secretly suppressing their ageing process... It's in the water... :P ;-)

WE

WANT

INFORMATION

INFORMATION

IN

FOR

MA

TION

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am not moving the goalposts. I am merely stating that their reliance on the reset button has gotten ridiculous. The Armen Tamzarian episode was a bit much, but the Fat Tony episode was mind-bogglingly stupid. I don't care if they don't make any major changes, but making completely stupid changes and then hitting a retarded reset button at the end of the episode is getting insanely dumb.

Now, that isn't happening every episode, and thank god, but it's still pretty bad.

Now you're REALLY moving the goalposts, since this episode didn't even have a reset button. :P And honestly, the Simpsons hasn't really done it all that much. You pretty much listed the most jarring ones. There was also the episode where Barney gives up alcohol, but that actually lasted a few seasons before reverting.

Really, I'm just noticing that you keep coming up with random new reasons you give to dislike the Simpsons as the days go by... even as you sometimes mention that you actually like some new episodes, even ones I didn't really care for. Honestly, it's pretty telling that you called the show a hellhole shortly after you said you liked several episodes in a row.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Now you're REALLY moving the goalposts, since this episode didn't even have a reset button. :P And honestly, the Simpsons hasn't really done it all that much. You pretty much listed the most jarring ones. There was also the episode where Barney gives up alcohol, but that actually lasted a few seasons before reverting.

Really, I'm just noticing that you keep coming up with random new reasons you give to dislike the Simpsons as the days go by... even as you sometimes mention that you actually like some new episodes, even ones I didn't really care for. Honestly, it's pretty telling that you called the show a hellhole shortly after you said you liked several episodes in a row.

And wow, if only I actually had to give you any reason at all for why I dislike this show. It turns out, I don't. But you know what? Here's a reason for you. It fucking sucks. It's not funny, it's not clever, it's not good natured. The writing is juvenile and hackneyed, character development is nil, and the only people who love the show are ones who would likely be just as entertained by a piece of string or a candle casting shadows on a blank wall.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2011

And wow, if only I actually had to give you any reason at all for why I dislike this show. It turns out, I don't. But you know what? Here's a reason for you. It fucking sucks. It's not funny, it's not clever, it's not good natured. The writing is juvenile and hackneyed, character development is nil, and the only people who love the show are ones who would likely be just as entertained by a piece of string or a candle casting shadows on a blank wall.

Somehow that only made me more convinced that you hate the Simpsons largely because it's cool to hate it, especially because (again) you've liked several episodes this season. So.... this means you're also entertained by a piece of string or candle casting shadows on a blank wall, then.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cleveland Show was pretty great! They hit a huge low with the booger episode, but have been pretty consistent after that (in a good way).

Never mention that show in this thread again.

Ever.

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ever.

Need palette cleanser. Futurama was a really great show. Discuss.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    King of the Hill remains my favorite. So consistently good after those first few seasons and Bill and Dale are two of my favorite characters. Peggy too, though I can understand why she's so hated by some.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dharma Bum wrote: »

Ever.

it still is a good show

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ever.

it still is a good show

Seeing new episodes of Futurama is a heart breaking, surreal experience for me. Its like finding box full of home movies of my best friend who was brutally murdered by Fox executives.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So American Dad is parodying the Office, and I think Ken Jeong is doing a guest voice too.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ever.

it still is a good show

Seeing new episodes of Futurama is a heart breaking, surreal experience for me. Its like finding box full of home movies of my best friend who was brutally murdered by Fox executives.

were those executives then themselves murdered and ground up into a fine pink powder?

Julius on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "We're like Jews on Christmas!"
    "Or Jews for Jesus on Channukah!"

Being Jewish myself, I found this absolutely hilarious.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't usually watch the Sunday animation block, so I'm sure you guys all have said this many times but my goodness The Simpsons is absolutely terrible. It's like they have to be trying to be making the show that bad.

Bob's Burgers on the other hand is great, very reminiscent of Home Movies (makes sense since Bouchard created it), good stuff.

Rei on