As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited November 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
General Fox animation thread, Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, etc.

The Simpsons
250px-Simpsons_FamilyPicture.png

Here we go. The undisputed best show on TV, absolutely beloved by all. And why shouldn't it be? It's the utter pinnacle of human achievement. There is absolutely no chance in the world that its writing quality will ever, EVER drop, because that would be just as silly as thinking that a drop in writing quality could ever be reversed. Put those ridiculous thoughts out of your head.

At any rate, this series follows an American family as they attempt to keep their spirits up while dealing with horrible cases of jaundice.

Family Guy
The_Griffin_family.png

On the other hand, this thing right here is the shittiest piece of shit that ever shat a shit. Poop. I mean seriously, look at it. How can you gaze upon this creation without being fueled with the holy rage of ten thousand suns?

Characters include Boring, Stupid, Annoying, Insufferable Mary Sue and horribly stunted clones of Homer Simpson and Jimmy Corrigan.

American Dad
AmericanDadPromo.PNG

Egads, it's multiplying. Like cockroaches in a septic tank, Seth Macfarlane productions just keep breeding and crawling up your nostrils while you sleep. How does the man do it? Naked blackmail photos of Fox execs?

Certain crazy people on the Internet claim that this show is actually good, but you should never ever ever believe anything you read on the Internet. Except this post.

The Cleveland Show
TheClevelandShowPromo.png

AAAAAAGH!! I have gazed upon that which rips a man's sanity from his soul and cannot be unseen! How can a kind, loving God permit something like this to exist? There is no good in the universe! All is suffering! Suffering!

Starring the adventures of a mixed black family as written and performed by white people.

Bob's Burgers

Bob%27s_Burgers_promo.png

This show follows the adventures of the Belcher family... hee hee, get it? It's funny because they're named after a bodily function! It would only be better if they were named the Gassier family. Or the Fartsons. Anyway, where was I going with this? Oh right, they run a burger shop. Some people like it, some people don't. Guess it depends on how much you like H. Jon Benjamin, who portrays Bob.

Annnnnnnnd, discuss.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    EDIT: I hereby apologize for saying bad things about Bob's Burgers. The show has really grown on me.

Hexmage-PA on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like all these shows. Am I a Pariah?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Only a show as stupid as (reborn) Family Guy would require Peter to have a reality-jumping sequence in order to realize that drinking too much is bad after he already died from driving drunk.

Hey Peter, here's what will happen if you continue down your binge-drinking path. You know, the one that's already killed you.

What a waste of the Death character.

BubbaT on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Only a show as stupid as (reborn) Family Guy would require Peter to have a reality-jumping sequence in order to realize that drinking too much is bad after he already died from driving drunk.

Hey Peter, here's what will happen if you continue down your binge-drinking path. You know, the one that's already killed you.

You're too picky. Clean livin' Peter was a good gag.

emnmnme on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    You know what? I'm gonna say it.

I liked Sit Down, Shut Up better than I do Bob's Burgers. And I hated Sit Down, Shut Up.

How? How is that possible?

Bob's Burgers isn't great, but Sit Down, Shut Up was an abortion. I know it's like choosing between a gas station restroom and a fast food restroom, but given the choice I'm always going with the fast food restroom.

Edit: Also looking at the old thread, I had to google Terry because I honestly couldn't remember which of Cleveland's friends he was supposed to be.

Invisible on
    edited February 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

You're too picky. Clean livin' Peter was a good gag.

The problem wasn't that gag, it's that the entire sequence requires Peter to be sub-retarded. In FG's first run, where Peter ditches Lois to go play golf and Death shows him how much he actually cares about Lois and the various sacrifices he's made to be with her, there's actually a point because it's not obvious to pre-flashback Peter that bad things will happen if he continues his (then-)current ways.

In this episode the point of the sequence is trying to convince Peter that something that has already killed him is bad. Even the dumbest people can figure out that something that hurts them is bad, after it hurts them.

It'd be one thing if they were playing it as a Jackass-style "pain is fun" thing, like when Peter hurt his finger from sticking it in the fan, then stuck his dick in it. But they play it as if Peter really doesn't know that things that have already killed him are bad.

Also - it's funny that South Park kinda gave FG a pass for not being "all preachy and up its own ass" like SP is, and then FG turned around and became even more preachy than SP.

BubbaT on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

That whole plot was stupid from the start. Why would you go so far as to make a "sanctuary for drinking" and not take into account the drunk driving aspect? I mean you'd think at least Brian would mention something but in this episode he's portrayed just as dumb as Peter. They go so far as to create a secret lair type "switch" room for when the cops show up, but NO ONE considered having a fleet of taxis show up at the end of the meetings?

Though I guess you could explain it by saying that these are the kind of idiots who honestly believe they drive better while they're drunk; unfortunately no one made that comment in the episode.

Poorly thought out plots make me angry. I don't watch television to be angry. That's why I'm happy that American Dad is somehow ALWAYS a crowd-pleaser. I watched the Home Owner's Association episode again last night on Adult Swim, "Roy Rodgers McFreely" - holy shit that whole episode had me rolling, especially during the high-speed chase scene through the neighborhood's backyard.

Ranadiel on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Simpsons are creepy to me now. It's like their smiles are a tiny bit wider and their pupils are a tiny bit smaller every season, and now it's just weird. Look at them.

Smiling with their buggy little eyes.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This week's American Dad was really good.

Family guy was indeed pretty weak, and I'm one of the few people on the board that usually like the show. The water slide gag was pretty good. The song wore thin pretty quick. Death was wasted. The other two episodes with Death are among my favorites so I was really looking forward to this one.

I barely even remember The Cleveland Show and we just watched it last night. Something with basketball players and short people.

Bolthorn on
    edited February 2011
    The water slide gag stood out for me as the best part of the episode, simply due to the fact that it was a well set up and executed cut-away gag, and those are extremely rare these days. These days I mostly just find myself cringing when I see them going for one.

Ranadiel on
    edited February 2011
    I like the other 2 Death FG episodes too. This one, he didn't even have any lines other than the first Rosie O'Donnell joke, which was fairly weak. It was just "Peter, look at this. Peter, look at that," and then he was done.

I did like drunk Peter's line "Laugh and cry, effin cry, what's the difference?" about Stewie's line in the theme song. I imagine McFarlane's been asked about that specific lyric a thousand times by now.

BubbaT on
    edited February 2011
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Simpsons are creepy to me now. It's like their smiles are a tiny bit wider and their pupils are a tiny bit smaller every season, and now it's just weird. Look at them.

:shock:

D:

Malkor on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Malkor wrote: »

D:
    ok.

now they're haunting me.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »

Family guy was indeed pretty weak, and I'm one of the few people on the board that usually like the show. The water slide gag was pretty good. The song wore thin pretty quick. Death was wasted. The other two episodes with Death are among my favorites so I was really looking forward to this one.

I barely even remember The Cleveland Show and we just watched it last night. Something with basketball players and short people.

Cleveland Show is an abomination, but then I've only seen one episode. Still, I've only seen one episode of Real Housewives and it was enough to know it's not for me.

Family Guy has been hit or miss for me. Norm MacDonald Death is the only Death as far as I'm concerned.

joshofalltrades on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »

Cleveland Show is an abomination, but then I've only seen one episode. Still, I've only seen one episode of Real Housewives and it was enough to know it's not for me.

Family Guy has been hit or miss for me. Norm MacDonald Death is the only Death as far as I'm concerned.

I thought Death was Adam Carolla? That's what it said in the TV guide listings anyway.

tallgeeze on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Family Guy (TV series)
    Death
    – Death Is a Bitch (2000) … Death (voice) (uncredited)

I think Adam did him the second time which was inferior but still acceptable

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011

D:
    ok.

now they're haunting me.

Judge for yourself-ing time

Season 1
    SimpsonsMPG_7G07.jpg

Season 3
    hNOgEeZSqln8eldu7pgdrhMHo1_500.jpg

Season 4
    Screenshot11.png

Season 5
    tumblr_le3f5z3oEW1qex36wo1_500.jpg

Season 8
    1179275750632.jpg

Season 9
    the-simpsons5.png

Season 10
    tumblr_lci514nVJY1qdoghi

Season 12
    tumblr_l8cf7ctxR81qdoghi

Season 15
    tumblr_leesygUerE1qfrrv2

Season 18
    tumblr_lcynqizqIC1qdoghi

Season 20
    tumblr_le0beuS0tX1qdoghi

Season 22
    tumblr_lci7x9iBXY1qdoghi

BubbaT on
    edited February 2011
    Cleveland Show is basically Black Family Guy, but they don't do as many pointless cutaway gags. And it has it's moments. I'd say it's about 40% AD 60% FG.

Actually 40% AD might be generous, but it's still pretty funny sometimes.

Ranadiel on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cleveland Show is always kinda "eh" for me but I liked the last episode for the somewhat amusing fight between the midgets and NBA players.

Evil Weevil on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cleveland Show is always kinda "eh" for me but I liked the last episode for the somewhat amusing fight between the midgets and NBA players.

I got a chuckle when a hawk mistook a little person for a rabbit and carried him away.

emnmnme on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Having spent weeks hand animating a three second animation I'm unapologetically happy for any success Seth McFarlane has had after animating an entire pilot by himself. He can jack off into a big pile of money every day for all I care, he earned it.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

D:
    ok.

now they're haunting me.

homer.jpg

edit: and now I have a new avatar. Enjoy your nightmares.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
    edited February 2011
    You almost made me spit on my monitor. Grats.

Ranadiel on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

D:
    ok.

now they're haunting me.

Judge for yourself-ing time

The show has been surprisingly visually consistent. Little blips around season 10 and season 22 when they moved to HD. Otherwise pretty good.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    everytime Seth McFarlane does a musical number god kills a puppy

nexuscrawler on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    everytime Seth McFarlane does a musical number god kills a puppy

I wonder if anyone has the balls on the staff to go "you know Seth, there's really no need for a musical number and it's not really that funny....."

Of all his shows, the only musical one I really liked was the Ollie North Schoolhouse Rock song in American Dad (which he probably didn't even write):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juxm4P4fnq8

All the other songs just come across as filler.

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    I actually like most of his musical numbers in Family Guy (Christmastime is killing us, the FCC song, the early Brian+Stewie episodes), but the alcohol one was just one long, boring number.

I'm trying to remember all of the musical numbers in American Dad, but other than Ollie North and the one about Francine's adoptive/birth parents I'm drawing a blank.

Invisible on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Invisible wrote: »
    I actually like most of his musical numbers in Family Guy (Christmastime is killing us, the FCC song, the early Brian+Stewie episodes), but the alcohol one was just one long, boring number.

I'm trying to remember all of the musical numbers in American Dad, but other than Ollie North and the one about Francine's adoptive/birth parents I'm drawing a blank.

I'm sure there's an exhaustive list somewhere, but also:

We're Red and We're Gay

Wost Place in the World (from the Saudi Arabia eps)

El Perro - Cilantro

Reginald's Theme

...and technically, the Confi-Dance.

And urgh, the pro/anti-gun songs from early AD.

Bioptic on
    edited February 2011
    Some people just don't like Seth McFarlane. Just admit it, it is OK.

Malkor on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I.... I thought the Cleveland show was canceled before it even went on air. what happened? I also haven't had tv in a while. I've liked American dad for a while but it kind of slips and forgets what show it is every so often.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really enjoyed the new Simpsons episode this week. Female Moe was... eerily dark. But Bart and Lisa freaking out to try to figure out where their heads ended and hair began was fantastic.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should say when it comes to the music numbers I mean specifically anything McFarlane is a part of. Those Reginald and Cilantro songs I like (it was scary y'all!). But those early American Dad numbers, yucky.

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    I.... I thought the Cleveland show was canceled before it even went on air. what happened? I also haven't had tv in a while. I've liked American dad for a while but it kind of slips and forgets what show it is every so often.

What? No, it was actually renewed for a second season before it was ever aired.

Invisible on
    edited February 2011

The "Mr. Booze" song is from the movie Robin and the 7 Hoods, starring the Rat Pack and Bing Crosby. McFarlane's love affair with WWII-era crooners is well-known - it's why those Brian+Stewie episodes even exist to begin with. I'll take his songs over Glee's anyday.

BubbaT on
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Still can't believe The Cleveland Show gets better ratings than American Dad.

jackisreal on
    edited February 2011
    So Adult Swim is getting a ton of my viewership lately. An hour of King of the Hill at 9 followed by an hour of American Dad at 10. Family Guy comes on after for an hour but I don't care to watch it.

Best thing is that the HD broadcast of Cartoon Network is on Eastern Time, so I get to watch this stuff at 6 and 7pm western. Yay~

The episodes of AD tonight were the backup wife and the delorian road trip ones. Hilarious.

Ranadiel on
    edited February 2011
    Wheels and the Legman. <3

Invisible on
    edited February 2011
    jackisreal wrote: »
    Still can't believe The Cleveland Show gets better ratings than American Dad.

Why not? It's more similar to FG than AD is, and in a better time slot.

BubbaT on
    edited February 2011
    Wheels and the Legman. <3

Rodger: "Let's face it, on our darkest day we're Scooby-Doo!"
    Steve: "Maybe Quincy."
    Rodger: "Maybe Quincy."

On the subject, most of the time when I ask people why they don't like American Dad, they say it's because of Rodger. I'm guessing it's got something to do with his voice or homoerotic behavior that turns people off, or both. If they didn't take the time to get past the first few episodes and get to know the character, their loss!

Ranadiel on
    edited February 2011
    Do they watch Family Guy? Stewie's not exactly leading the Hetero Pride Parade, either.

BubbaT on