As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The implication that the Belchers watch their world get built weekly explains a lot

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I don't have much of a horse in this race, 'cause I've never seem the movie he's referencing, but I only made it in about 8 minutes before the combination of "racial stereotypes aren't a problem if they're positive", "how come people aren't complaining about the other stereotypes huh", "what if the people complaining about racists are the real racists" got too much for me.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    "how come people aren't complaining about the other stereotypes huh".

Even though he's trying to save Apu from retirement, he ends up making a good case for changing Super Mario.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Mario somehow doesn't even register as Italian to me at this point.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Mario somehow doesn't even register as Italian to me at this point.

It really only comes out if you set the controller down for a few minutes and let him fall asleep. Spaghetti, rigatoni, ravioli, mama mia!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The thing with Apu is that despite all the other aspects of the character mentioned in that video he's still an Indian dude who works at a stereotypical job and is voiced by a white guy doing affecting a stereotypical accent, which gives racist assholes a good bit of ammunition to bully Indian kids.

EDIT: Out of curiosity I looked up why so many Indian-Americans own gas stations:
    Indian American here, and gas station owner here. A few reasons for that, back in the 1960s and 1970s, many Indians living in either India or East Africa had very few opportunities to get ahead in their home countries. Back then, many families could only afford to send their first born to Europe or US under a student visa.

Once that first person got a student visa, and later green card, they could either do a family sponsorship, or the entire family would put their money in 1 person's account, and have them get an investor visa. Since the second and third siblings might not have degree suitable for work in the US, a motel or gas station is a good stable owner-operated job. The owner can work the register or front desk, family can help turn over rooms, etc.

Hexmage-PA on
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The thing with Apu is that despite all the other aspects of the character mentioned in that video he's still an Indian dude who works at a stereotypical job and is voiced by a white guy doing affecting a stereotypical accent, which gives racist assholes a good bit of ammunition to bully Indian kids.

Like the video says at 12:30, you have to blame the racist assholes, not the cartoon character.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Like the video says at 12:30, you have to blame the racist assholes, not the cartoon character.

That would be good, but it's easier to change one cartoon character than it is to change countless racists.

They don't even have to get rid of Apu. They could just get a new voice actor and justify it with Apu saying he had been doing an exaggerated accent all this time for some reason.

That would be good, but it's easier to change one cartoon character than it is to change countless racists.

They don't even have to get rid of Apu. They could just get a new voice actor and justify it with Apu saying he had been doing an exaggerated accent all this time for some reason.

How would a new Indian voice actor affect the bullying? Is this new Indian voice actor going to give notes to the writers to change Apu, making the character more respectable, making bullies who watch the show have higher esteem for Indians in real life?

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    You can cancel Simpsons right now and Apu will still be Apu, and probably stay Apu in the shared Zeitgeist for at least the next 40+ years.
    Change the voice and well, I guess bullies will make fun of the immigrant kid with a slightly more authentic accent, and also blame them for ruining Simpsons for everyone.

DanHibiki on
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    The thing is that they have already addressed this within the show. When Apu's nephew arrived and took over the store. In that episode there is a scene where the nephew lambasts Apu for being an old cliche/sterotype. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwM_OrHH1Qs fast forward to 8:45). Several indians are also shown to be more modern than Apu and the theme is that Apu doesn't want to move on and change. There is also an episode where Apu is shown to be very pro american and even has a knowledge of American history and culture far higher than the average resident of Springfield.

This is same show that has a redneck yokel, a Italian pizza chef, a mafia don etc etc.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    He continues to be the Indian American in the show that gets much of any airtime and he isn't portrayed as an anachronism like the Italian pizza chef.

Look at all these other offensive stereotypes isn't an argument either.

Couscous on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The thing is Apu is like the most successful member of the town. He works hard, is intelligent, educated, a lady killer, and regularly gouges all the fat, lazy Americans, but has an obsession with customer service.

Couscous wrote: »
    Look at all these other offensive stereotypes isn't an argument either.

It's not an argument excusing Apu, no, but it is a tactic that strongly appeals to the lazy. "If we change this thing, then we have to change a million other things for the sake of fairness. Reverend Lovejoy will have to be voiced by a real Protestant reverend, Groundskeeper Willie will have to be voiced by a real Scot, etc. etc. Let's just leave things how they are."

Can someone explain that Family Guy joke about what comes on after them instead of American Dad? Your jokes should not be station schedule specific ffs.

Also they need to cancel Simpsons, Marge's voice is just gone at this point.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    They're just making fun Fox's ever revolving door of shows they try to fit into their sunday night line up that always fail.

edited November 2018

Talking Simpsons mentioned this video recently and uh apparently this dude is super racist.

So uh yeah. . .

King Riptor on
    edited November 2018
    This week's family guy was actually kinda funny. I lost it when Peter said "don't shoot this guy he was kinda nice to me" *bang* "Oh well"

EDIT: Holy hell even Simpsons had a killer line. Drag Queen - "I'll tell you what I told Eddie Murphy, 'sure, why not?'".

A bit dated but more tooth than Simpsons normally brings.

AlphaRomero on
    This week's family guy was actually kinda funny. I lost it when Peter said "don't shoot this guy he was kinda nice to me" *bang* "Oh well"

EDIT: Holy hell even Simpsons had a killer line. Drag Queen - "I'll tell you what I told Eddie Murphy, 'sure, why not?'".

A bit dated but more tooth than Simpsons normally brings.

So dated in fact they'd already been beaten to the joke by Family guy

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Talking Simpsons mentioned this video recently and uh apparently this dude is super racist.

So uh yeah. . .

Yeah this was showing up in my recommended videos a few weeks ago and before trying to watch it I looked this guy up and then watched the first like minute and noped out.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I think animation, with its clean lines and simpler shapes, actually benefits more from HD than live action

The Lacey Chabert call backs were great. I loved the "I've been training for this since I was Lacey Chabert" line.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Family Guy is killing off Carrie Fisher’s character 2 years after her death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_4YtMio2g

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Anyone watch the Family Guy Trump episode last night.

I guess why it was done, and even though they somewhat lampshaded it, it still rung a bit hollow that FG out of any cartoon would attack trump.

Kyougu wrote: »

I guess why it was done, and even though they somewhat lampshaded it, it still rung a bit hollow that FG out of any cartoon would attack trump.

How did the line go?
    Trump: "You're Peter Griffin, star of the popular TV show Family Guy. Your show is full of black, Jewish, and gay jokes so if you can act like a bully, I get to act like a bully."
    Peter: "We're trying to cut back on the gay jokes."

edited January 2019
    Kyougu wrote: »

I mean Seth is a massive Lefty .

I didnt finish it but I enjoyed the worst jokes being attributed to Brian

King Riptor on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Lefty or Liberal?

Glal wrote: »
    Lefty or Liberal?

Probably more center left now. If not completely a centrist privately.
    He definitely hates establishment republicans

I like multiple bits of that episode. Like the part where Trump takes down and stomps all over Obamas portrait because you know that's exactly what he wants to do every day and how Peter picks it up and puts it back and then gently kisses Obama's painting on the lips. I was like "Yeah, me to. I miss him so much."

I don't feel like Trump deserved even a chicken fight in a Family Guy episode, because he's such a whiny little coward that if you slapped him he'd fall down in tears and scream for someone else to get you back for him. I'd rather they had Trump run away crying and had someone fight Peter in his place for money while he watched from the background scared, and the fight ends when Peter makes the guy realize that Trump is not going to ever pay him for fighting for him.

I did like that the secret service just got popcorn and watched and didn't give a shit.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I like multiple bits of that episode. Like the part where Trump takes down and stomps all over Obamas portrait because you know that's exactly what he wants to do every day and how Peter picks it up and puts it back and then gently kisses Obama's painting on the lips. I was like "Yeah, me to. I miss him so much."

I thought--in the back of my mind--it was a mildly clever nod to the nostalgia-influenced cult of personality that develops around former presidents, including Barack Obama but also George W. Bush shudder and more, that comes naturally in moments of great political stiff and animosity, which we've had on and off for some time now. He's kissing a portrait after all, I can't think of a much better example. On top of what you've described.

But it's entirely possible I'm seeing something that isn't there. It wouldn't be the first time, this is Family Guy after all.

(Addendum: I believe I can say this without somehow suggesting that there isn't a personality cult around Donald Trump created in the last few years, a particularly dangerous one--as though the others were somehow harmless--that has descended into the grotesque. Or suggesting he's otherwise immune to those criticisms.)

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Did American Dad end?

edited January 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Did American Dad end?

It's due to start again soon. Feb 12 I think. It's still there, just wish it was still on the Fox Animation block as I dont know how it does on TBS. It also seems to take a lot longer between seasons.

AlphaRomero on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, in the wake of the Finding Neverland documentary and the increasing evidence that Michael Jackson was prooooobably a sexual predator, the folks behind the Simpsons have removed the Michael Jackson episode.

You know the one -- a laundry incident lands Homer in a psychiatric ward, where he meets a huge white guy who thinks he's Michael Jackson. And then Homer invites him home to pal around with Bart and Lisa and sing a song. The guy's voice actor/singing were under pseudonyms, but yeah, it was MJ.

Anyway, James L. Brooks said the episode has been removed from Simpsons World, it's in the process of being pulled from other streaming services, and it won't be part of any upcoming physical re-releases. Brooks said he, Matt Groening, and Al Jean were of one mind on this one.

"This was a treasured episode. There are a lot of great memories we have wrapped up in that one, and this certainly doesn’t allow them to remain," Brooks said.

"I’m against book burning of any kind. But this is our book, and we’re allowed to take out a chapter," he added.

So, yeah. It's a great episode, but it's getting really painful to see Michael Jackson around kids, even animated representations.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, in the wake of the Finding Neverland documentary and the increasing evidence that Michael Jackson was prooooobably a sexual predator, the folks behind the Simpsons have removed the Michael Jackson episode.

You know the one -- a laundry incident lands Homer in a psychiatric ward, where he meets a huge white guy who thinks he's Michael Jackson. And then Homer invites him home to pal around with Bart and Lisa and sing a song. The guy's voice actor/singing were under pseudonyms, but yeah, it was MJ.

Anyway, James L. Brooks said the episode has been removed from Simpsons World, it's in the process of being pulled from other streaming services, and it won't be part of any upcoming physical re-releases. Brooks said he, Matt Groening, and Al Jean were of one mind on this one.

"This was a treasured episode. There are a lot of great memories we have wrapped up in that one, and this certainly doesn’t allow them to remain," Brooks said.

"I’m against book burning of any kind. But this is our book, and we’re allowed to take out a chapter," he added.

So, yeah. It's a great episode, but it's getting really painful to see Michael Jackson around kids, even animated representations.

I think you linked the wrong page @cloudeagle

https://mashable.com/article/the-simpsons-michael-jackson-episode-pulled/#8s5rOgrSEZqM

Personally, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this but I can understand their reasons.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Is that the only episode of The Simpsons featuring a likely sexual predator?

I feel like with all the guest stars over the years there might be some more, based on how scummy a lot of Hollywood is being revealed to be

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

Unless the chapter is about Apu.

Its nice they care now. The episode aired in 1991. They didn't much seem to mind in 1993 with this first trial or 2005 with his second trial.

Viskod wrote: »

Unless the chapter is about Apu.

Its nice they care now. The episode aired in 1991. They didn't much seem to mind in 1993 with this first trial or 2005 with his second trial.

They aired episode again during primetime the week Jackson died.

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Episode features Michael Jackson developing personal relationship with two children, culminating in him singing happy birthday to one of them.

Documentary is released alleging Michael Jackson developed personal, sexually abusive relationships with at least two children. Includes detailed interviews with both children (now adults) describing the abuse in graphic detail.

Math here doesn't seem too hard...

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    But again, the allegations are decades old. It’s a shift in how the public and media are dealing with these issues, and arguably a good one, but definitely a dramatic one. Same way Polanski was winning Oscars and working with many of the best in Hollywood up until just a few years ago. Same way Cosby’s accusations were out there for anybody who cared to look, which is why Hannibal’s joke worked. Jackson’s accusations have been a late night punchline for a quarter of a century, and Leaving Neverland didn’t really change much. Or at lest it shouldn’t have.

Same way R. Kelly married an underaged girl...a famous underaged girl...on a fake birth certificate twenty years ago. That shit was all on paper and part of the public record. But a Lifetime doc finally made it matter? Nah, what we’ve seen is a cultural shift in the last couple years toward believing victims and (perhaps more importantly, since at least two of the above were well documented and not contested in the slightest) caring. The doc didn’t do anything but remind us of that thing we always knew but kept pretending we didn’t.

Still not sure how I feel about throwing episodes or movies or other media in the memory hole though. That episode is part of the series, and should still be available, I think. But we as a society are gonna have to figure out how we deal with that as well, as more and more huge cultural figures get outed as offenders.