As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    if anything it's gotten worse though.
    imdb-chart.jpg

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    if anything it's gotten worse though.
    imdb-chart.jpg

That graph is seven years out of date. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DFGKEHDXgAEd5-z.jpg
    oh yeah, it gets worse.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Don't pretend to be interested in criticism and then write off criticism that you refuse to even experience or engage.

You're being deliberately unfair and dismissive of something based on assumptions.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Don't pretend to be interested in criticism and then write off criticism that you refuse to even experience or engage.

You're being deliberately unfair and dismissive of something based on assumptions.

Before we go any further:

Have you even watched seasons 10-28? Can you make a reasonable claim that the show somehow hasn't changed much in 18 years?

Also, you still haven't answered my question on whether or not the video addresses how the show has changed over the last 18 years.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    I've seen every episode of the show up until somewhere in the middle of season 27, where I got rid of cable.

Eyepatch Wolf puts a lot of work into researching his videos and the shows his videos covers, and I have no doubt that he watched plenty of modern Simpsons himself.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Have you even watched seasons 10-28? Can you make a reasonable claim that the show somehow hasn't changed much in 18 years?

Also, you still haven't answered my question on whether or not the video addresses how the show has changed over the last 18 years.

and yet you can't be bothered to watch a short youtube video?

• Options
    I've seen every episode of the show up until somewhere in the middle of season 27, where I got rid of cable.

Eyepatch Wolf puts a lot of work into researching his videos and the shows his videos covers, and I have no doubt that he watched plenty of modern Simpsons himself.

But does he mention how the show has evolved post-crappening?

• Options
    The fundamental changes the show went through and settled into by season 11-12ish, the fundamental changes the video talks about, have stayed that way. The quality of the show has had its ups and downs since then, but the show has a very specific new identity now that has stayed that way for a decade and a half. The video talks about the fundamental changes, not minor ones.

You could take a random selection of episodes from seasons 12-27 and show them to me out of order and I would have a genuinely hard time telling you around when each of them aired. Same for if you did so with a random group of season 3-8 episodes. 1 and 2 are easier because they look and sound rough around the edges, and 9-11 was the middle ground where the shift was happening. In either of those groups, there will be a variance in individual episode quality but they will be there same fundamental show. There is a very real and specific division that has persisted ever since.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The fundamental changes the show went through and settled into by season 11-12ish, the fundamental changes the video talks about, have stayed that way. The quality of the show has had its ups and downs since then, but the show has a very specific new identity now that has stayed that way for a decade and a half. The video talks about the fundamental changes, not minor ones.

You could take a random selection of episodes from seasons 12-27 and show them to me out of order and I would have a genuinely hard time telling you around when each of them aired. Same for if you did so with a random group of season 3-8 episodes. 1 and 2 are easier because they look and sound rough around the edges, and 9-11 was the middle ground where the shift was happening. In either of those groups, there will be a variance in individual episode quality but they will be there same fundamental show. There is a very real and specific division that has persisted ever since.

So in other words, no.

I'd argue that the show has evolved plenty over the years, and that not acknowledging the changes made by the show over the years -- or, at the very least, attempting to refute the fact that it has changed with specific evidence, as you're suggesting -- is pretty much just rehashing the same tut-tutting argument made countless times already over the last 17 years. I'm not spending half an hour on that.

Edit: I'm sure the video makes a very good case for how the Simpsons changed from the early years to season 10 and so, but I'm ready for a fresh take, not one I've heard 47,000 times.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    I've spent the majority of my life watching the Simpsons, and I've heard the whole "it's better now!" thing so many times only for me to tune in to each new episode and still see the same problems persist. The show may have changed, but it has not strayed from the core changes that turned it from the show I loved to the show it became.

Wolf does a good job laying out and explaining what those core changes are, and why modern Simpsons has lost its luster with people like me. And does so in a thoughtful way with good, reasonable analysis, not by going "tsk tsk".

• Options
    I've spent the majority of my life watching the Simpsons, and I've heard the whole "it's better now!" thing so many times only for me to tune in to each new episode and still see the same problems persist. The show may have changed, but it has not strayed from the core changes that turned it from the show I loved to the show it became.

Wolf does a good job laying out and explaining what those core changes are, and why modern Simpsons has lost its luster with people like me. And does so in a thoughtful way with good, reasonable analysis, not by going "tsk tsk".

Which is totally fine! I don't mind if you disagree. Personally, I think it's gotten better relatively recently. You disagree, and it's no skin off of my nose if you (or anyone, really) don't watch the show again to see if I'm right.

But honestly, I'd be much more interested in watching the video if it actually compared classic Simpsons to various post-crappening eras, rather than lumping them all as one unchanging blob. If nothing else, to at least give evidence for the Simpsons being an unchanging blob, or at least a compelling reason that the Simpsons has been an unchanging blob. Because otherwise, it's pretty much the same analysis we've been getting for the last 17 years. I'd rather watch something new.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    You're not spending 30 minutes to watch the video but you expect me to watch 125.35 hours* of Simpsons to refute yours?

*everything from Season 13 on, roughly when I stopped watching, not counting commercial time; assuming a run time of 23 minutes per episode.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    You're not spending 30 minutes to watch the video but you expect me to watch 125.35 hours* of Simpsons to refute yours?

*everything from Season 13 on, roughly when I stopped watching, not counting commercial time; assuming a run time of 23 minutes per episode.

....I literally just said in the post above yours I don't expect anyone to watch something they don't want to in order to prove me wrong. All I said is that the video doesn't interest me.

You know what? I give up. The last time I attempted to to say I enjoyed modern Simpsons I was accused of being a troll, simply for liking the show. I'm too tired for this.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

Has the show changed over the last 18 years?

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    you don't see to be putting much effort into this yourself. "they're different now! because I said so" um, how? we clearly can't see the difference and you have made no effort to explain what it is

Jars on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

....I literally just said in the post above yours I don't expect anyone to watch something they don't want to in order to prove me wrong. All I said is that the video doesn't interest me.

You know what? I give up. The last time I attempted to to say I enjoyed modern Simpsons I was accused of being a troll, simply for liking the show. I'm too tired for this.

No. This is what you said.

And then you said that you don't care if we don't watch all of it in order to prove you right... but you still expect us to watch it in order for you to listen to the argument.

And then of course dismiss the person who has watched those episodes out of hand.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017

No. This is what you said.

And then you said that you don't care if we don't watch all of it in order to prove you right... but you still expect us to watch it in order for you to listen to the argument.

And then of course dismiss the person who has watched those episodes out of hand.

No, I didn't dismiss him, I said I disagreed with him. And I disagreed with him respectfully in the same post where I said I don't want to force people to watch stuff they wouldn't like! I just wanted to see if he had actually watched them, for context in the discussion. And when he said he did, I actually acknowledged that.
    Jars wrote: »
    you don't see to be putting much effort into this yourself. "they're different now! because I said so" um, how? we clearly can't see the difference and you have made no effort to explain what it is

Honestly, does anyone here give a shit what I think about seasons 10-28 at this point? I haven't elaborated because I think I know the answer, given the hostility that happens whenever someone says something beyond "yeah, it sucks now." I'm too tired of the same argument and I'm not egotistical enough to force my opinions.

All I'm arguing is that I don't need to waste 30 minutes of my life on a video that, by definition, makes pretty much the same arguments that have been beaten into my brain with a sledgehammer over the last 18 years, and that I'd love to see criticism that actually acknowledges how the show has changed over that time. If anyone else could point me to some now that I'm curious I would definitely appreciate it.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    https://youtu.be/KqFNbCcyFkk

Pretty good breakdown of Simpsons losing relevancy beginning with a shift in writing staff

edit- saw this was posted 2 pages back but uh, watch it again?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Every time that's reposted it irks me because it indicates a flawed argument is gaining traction it doesn't deserve.

• Options
    .....and people object when I point out that people seem to weirdly enjoy tsk-tsking about when the Simpsons changed over and over and over and over.

• Options
    I genuinely don't understand why some keep saying that video is about a writing staff change when that is only one small part of it. And even then when talking about the writing staff it focuses way more on the structure of the writing staff and how they were organized and their methods used to write the show then about specific writers leaving or coming in.

That video isn't one line of discussion. It's like twenty.

And it's gaining traction because it's well-made and well-done.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    It just doesn't give the complexity of the "post-fall" era it's due, is all. It wasn't "2 seasons of promise 7 seasons of gold, and 19 seasons of unchanging shit," there are definite peaks and valleys, and changes that were made after the changes of the early Al Jean era.

• Options
    I watched the video.

While its arguments are complex and well-formed, it's simply a more exhaustive version of the arguments we've heard again and again and again and again over the last 18 years. Plus it assumes the Simpsons have been encased in amber over the last 18 years.

I want that 30 minutes of my life back.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

I want that 30 minutes of my life back.

Funny, that's how I feel about anything post S11

Ov3rcharge on
  • Options
    So out of curiosity, of the problems the video discusses, which ones do you feel are no longer problems in the current incarnation of the show?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    So out of curiosity, of the problems the video discusses, which ones do you feel are no longer problems in the current incarnation of the show?

Long story short, the plots stopped using the outlandish settings as the source of the humor itself and returned (mostly) to using the outlandish settings as a setting for character humor, the show stopped using celebrities as a "hey, look at this celebrity!" and more to using them for interesting characters, the characters developed more heart and became less of shoehorned joke delivery systems, and the show continues to have relevant things to say about modern society even though it's no longer considered a groundbreaking source of satire for its time (to do that, the Simpsons would have had to have transformed into something akin to South Park or Family Guy, and none of us would want that).

Also, his harping on the horrible "real" Skinner episode kind of takes things out of context as that episode was just abnormally awful even for the season it appeared in.

But beyond that, I disagree with the thesis that if the Simpsons doesn't do everything exactly like seasons 3-7, it's crap. Here's my secret to enjoying modern-day Simpsons: I don't expect it to be like seasons 3-7. I realize that the golden age is gone and never will return. I don't demand that the show have the exact same beats and structure and characterization and details. I don't go, say, "seasons 3-7 would never use a celebrity that way! Therefore it's crap!" I instead go, "was that celebrity used well for that situation?" I do the same for the humor, the satire, the plot structure, the characters, the emotion, etc. etc. Holding up season 3-7 as the only way the Simpsons can be good is like saying Batman's been crap ever since Bob Kane and Bill Finger stopped working on it.

As I've said many, many times before, I don't think modern Simpsons always work. There are missteps, and uneven quality can still be a problem. But even acknowledging that, the show still generates plenty of episodes that do work quite well and, at their best, entertain me as much as an average episode from season 3-7, even if it's a different kind of entertainment.

But that's just my thoughts of course.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The comedy is just miserably worse after a point. There are still moments that feel like golden era simpsons, but if you watch a S5 and S15 episode back to back it's... not pretty.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The comedy is just miserably worse after a point. There are still moments that feel like golden era simpsons, but if you watch a S5 and S15 episode back to back it's... not pretty.

Hey, don't look at me to defend seasons 10-20, I'll agree they were pretty lame for the most part. I mean, probably better than 90% of TV on at the time, but still a shadow of what it had been.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    See unless something radically changed since like 2015 I think every single problem that video brings up is still a problem in modern Simpsons. I genuinely have not seen a real change.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind seeing a similar video done on South Park, just comparing the various era's , South Park's been weird in the reverse way of Simpsons I've found. You can sorta tell within seconds what era an episode is from. Yet there's multiple vastly different eras

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    For the Simpsons critique, every single thing he brings up as being explicitly bad, the golden era had plenty of. It had Homer acting as an absolute total jackass, it had celebrities showing up as themselves, and it had absurd situations. None of his complaints are specific to the era he's trying to decry, and as such I think his real complaint is "this isn't new to me anymore like it was back then, therefore I've grown bored of it and drifted away." I think it would take a much longer, closer, in-depth look at the series that doesn't bundle the seasons after 10 as one big monolith to rail against for a video like this to work properly.

For me, South Park jumped the shark with "Scott Tenorman Must Die" where they overstepped with how evil they could make Cartman and have the show still work.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Jerk and jerkass are not the same thing.

• Options
    Theres a difference between something happening very occasionally vs something being how things are every episode.

You can find instances of these things in older episodes here and there, but when judging the overall product and direction of the show the differences are clear.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I have to be the only person who likes "The Principal and the Pauper."

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

My theory is that every season of The simpsons is it's own canon where every was born a year later (thus, keeping the ages consistent). Therefore, that episode is only canon in that particular season and in seasons referring directly to it.

That said, I haven't watched The Simpsons in a decade because I felt it wasn't that funny anymore. Not so much "too outlandish" but more like.......... slightly soulless, I guess?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Nope love it. I think its brilliant commentary on how the simpsons universe worked at that time.

If youre mad about Armen Tanzarian then you missed the point imo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Jesus, the movie was almost a DECADE ago.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I finally watched the Simpson's video.

I don't agree with the guy on the celebrity issue, but yeah I think there is a good point to be made with regards to characters becoming one dimensional (I've even seen the term "Flanderization" used when talking about other media) and simpler joke structure.

That, and the big thing was how much the show was about being a response to the norms of the day, only to become the norm. Same thing happened to Family Guy, only harsher.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Jesus, the movie was almost a DECADE ago.

It was about then I stopped watching the simpsons
    I came back for a Halloween special that was lame ripping on harry potter {I heard better jokes about it from kids when I played pokemon the CCG }