As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    The thing with FG is that those re-runs get higher ratings than pretty much anything else in the lineup, consistently.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Venture Bros is at the point where they could run it like a syndicated show, especially if they broke down the latest special for TV consumption.

• Options
    It'd be funny if they edited all the episodes down into 10 minute halves and played them all out of order. Thats kind of how I felt when the show first came on, like I was always missing part of the backstory.

• Options
    In regards to family guy ratings, Adult Swim seems to be aware that they're doing their audience a kindness by not just filling the entire lineup with them. It's far and away their top-rated show still.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The Adult Swim Family Guy ratings are the thing that got it un-cancelled all those years ago. Adult Swim viewers love them some Family Guy.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    In semi-related Bob's Burgers news, Hawk and Chick has sort of become a thing: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-09/dark-horse-offers-new-lone-wolf-2100-comic-by-western-creators/.93954

I find the timing funny since I watched that episode yesterday (it was great).

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The Adult Swim Family Guy ratings are the thing that got it un-cancelled all those years ago. Adult Swim viewers love them some Family Guy.

Was it not the same with Futurama? Shame what happened with that show, though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Was it not the same with Futurama? Shame what happened with that show, though.

Moved to Comedy Central and got 3 more seasons?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I have no love for the product they gave us post-cancellation.

It was definitely not the Family Guy we were getting before.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

When Family Guy came back they catered to the loudest fans since those voices were in part the reason why they got revived. Those fans were the insufferable types who ate up the "remember when" jokes and loved seeing Meg get dumped on. When the writers shift their audience like this the show always gets worse for everyone except the people who are being catered to. I'd argue that modern MLP: FiM is suffering from something similar, where the writers are thinking too much about pleasing their adult fanbase while writing episodes leading to them feeling much more hollow/shallow than the ones that got people interested in the first place.

In Futurama's case they didn't acknowledge how much the restrictions of being on broadcast TV helped them with their storycrafting so when they went to movies/cable and had no filter, they put out a bunch of things just because they could, never questioning if they should. This also covers the weird increase in the amount of topical jokes that were already outdated before the episode even aired. From what I've seen of American Dad's TBS season they might end up going down this road as well.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, creative restrictions often force writers to think harder about the writing.

As opposed to having unlimited freedom to do what you want, which is what led to the Star Wars prequels.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Whenever discussion of creative freedom vs creative constraint comes up, I always remember how much worse Ren & Stimpy "Adult Party Cartoon" was compared to Nickelodeon era Ren & Stimpy.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Opty wrote: »

When Family Guy came back they catered to the loudest fans since those voices were in part the reason why they got revived. Those fans were the insufferable types who ate up the "remember when" jokes and loved seeing Meg get dumped on. When the writers shift their audience like this the show always gets worse for everyone except the people who are being catered to. I'd argue that modern MLP: FiM is suffering from something similar, where the writers are thinking too much about pleasing their adult fanbase while writing episodes leading to them feeling much more hollow/shallow than the ones that got people interested in the first place.

In Futurama's case they didn't acknowledge how much the restrictions of being on broadcast TV helped them with their storycrafting so when they went to movies/cable and had no filter, they put out a bunch of things just because they could, never questioning if they should. This also covers the weird increase in the amount of topical jokes that were already outdated before the episode even aired. From what I've seen of American Dad's TBS season they might end up going down this road as well.

It's harder for FIM to run into that issue because it's still a merchandise vehicle first and foremost, so the big bosses will never let them go whole hog to embrace the adult fandom. There have been some mediocre episodes this season (the recent Rarity trilogy comes to mind), but that had little to do with pandering. Episode 100 was all about pandering, of course, but they weren't even trying to tell a story there, so that's a different matter.

Futurama's increase in topical humor was only part of it. The iPhone episode was still decently well-written except for the way-too-pointed "Boil named Susan" joke. I'd argue the weakness came in the Fry/Leela arc becoming too soppy and infecting every story. The "animal documentary" episode, for instance, kept getting undermined by having to put Fry/Leela stuff in there.

Of course, other episodes used it very powerfully, like the "machine that goes forward in time" episode, so it was a bit of give-and-get there too.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Whenever discussion of creative freedom vs creative constraint comes up, I always remember how much worse Ren & Stimpy "Adult Party Cartoon" was compared to Nickelodeon era Ren & Stimpy.

Oh god, that was a goddamn tragedy. I'd take the post-Krikfalusi episodes over what he produced for the revival.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

It's harder for FIM to run into that issue because it's still a merchandise vehicle first and foremost, so the big bosses will never let them go whole hog to embrace the adult fandom. There have been some mediocre episodes this season (the recent Rarity trilogy comes to mind), but that had little to do with pandering. Episode 100 was all about pandering, of course, but they weren't even trying to tell a story there, so that's a different matter.

Futurama's increase in topical humor was only part of it. The iPhone episode was still decently well-written except for the way-too-pointed "Boil named Susan" joke. I'd argue the weakness came in the Fry/Leela arc becoming too soppy and infecting every story. The "animal documentary" episode, for instance, kept getting undermined by having to put Fry/Leela stuff in there.

Of course, other episodes used it very powerfully, like the "machine that goes forward in time" episode, so it was a bit of give-and-get there too.
    The Futurama return was very hit&miss with some episodes that were definitely on the low end for the series, but yes, the highs were worth it IMO. I didn't mind the Fry/Leela bits mainly because I felt them resetting their relationship over and over for the first few seasons was lame as hell, so seeing an actual ongoing relationship was great.
    And call me soppy, but I thought the finale was perfect.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    The problem with the Fry/Leela relationship stuff was that the Comedy Central run forgot they were a couple until the second season.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    The problem with the Fry/Leela relationship stuff was that the Comedy Central run forgot they were a couple until the second season.

Matt Groeing was actively opposed to Fry and Leela being in a stable relationship

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The Simpsons is really doubling down on the "pretending we're making a big character change, and then flushing it down the toilet in the final minutes" thing this season.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It's like they thought about having a patty and Selma episode where one or both of them developed as characters but couldn't think of enough dialogue so they padded it out with that stupid Maggie subplot and then just gave up on all of it anyway.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    This age-old sentiment of not letting the Simpsons characters evolve really needs to go away.

It's only getting more and more antiquated as other shows begin to embrace continuity and change. South Park now references events throughout each season, which has only made it funnier (like the whole Lorde subplot). Steven Universe is a 10 minute episodic cartoon that features actual character development, where characters actually grow in subtle-yet-consistent ways and previous events are not forgotten.

You'd think after 30 years they would be allowed to experiment even a little with The Simpsons.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    I think Groening still has a lot of sway on where the writing goes for the show. Having listened to my share of Simpsons/Futurama commentary, he has a lot of idiosyncratic views on how a show should be run. Not saying they're bad or good, but he likes things how he likes them.

• Options
    This episode was proof that Patty & Selma have evolved over the years. Patty became gay (or was always that way. The episode where Skinner courted her had her be a "committed bachelorette"), Selma hit menopause and adopted a Chinese baby. Although i agree they should have had Patty quitting stick, and done anything other than that weird Maggie subplot.

• Options
    This episode was proof that Patty & Selma have evolved over the years. Patty became gay (or was always that way. The episode where Skinner courted her had her be a "committed bachelorette"), Selma hit menopause and adopted a Chinese baby. Although i agree they should have had Patty quitting stick, and done anything other than that weird Maggie subplot.

That's not evolving it's adding adjectives to a character and essentially ignoring what you've added.

Evolving would be Selma moving out of the apartment and finding a new life then following up on that not resetting it. Maybe have Patty exploring being an out lesbian in her late forties.

• Options

That's not evolving it's adding adjectives to a character and essentially ignoring what you've added.

Evolving would be Selma moving out of the apartment and finding a new life then following up on that not resetting it. Maybe have Patty exploring being an out lesbian in her late forties.

She actually did that last one.

• Options
    Or hey, when she admitted she gives Homer shit because she's jealous of Marge's relationship how about not just take that right away and have her start to be nicer to Homer.

• Options
    They have gotten nicer over the years, though i don't think that was part of any grand plan. They were nastily vindictive in early seasons in a way that hasn't happened in the last 7-10 years.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The last really bad thing I can remember the twins doing was the time they kidnapped Homer before his re-wedding with Marge to try and break up their marriage, how long ago was that?

The last permanent status quo change I can think of was Ned and Edna's pairing and before that Comicbook Guy pairing up with the waifu invented for him. Adjacent to that is the Sideshow Bob saga which is full of continuity that's fully impossible at this point.

• Options
    They have gotten nicer over the years, though i don't think that was part of any grand plan. They were nastily vindictive in early seasons in a way that hasn't happened in the last 7-10 years.

In Simpson's Roasting on an open fire they are so mean to Homer Lisa basically says " Listen he's my Dad. We love him and he tries. So stop with this"

• Options
    So, uh, this is happening.

Not sure why, but here we are.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Very few cartoons are broadcast live, it's a terrible strain on the animator's wrists.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I blame modern technology for allowing this abomination.

They'd never do a live broadcast of Doraemon, I tell you what!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm assuming it's just some form of live commentary thing while the normal episode plays.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I can't understand the world someone would live in where this would be an exciting, must see event.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think it's going to be motion capture with the Simpsons style with maybe some preset things happening.

It's sort of like this old show from Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3_okc4uo0

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Also, has anybody watched that Border Town show?

• Options
    It'll probably be Dan Castellaneta dubbing over a preanimated scene.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I could see it working with CG and some mo-cap on Castellenata, then it would run something like a flash game.

The amusing part of this is the existing spoof-live episode of The Cleveland Show.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Also, has anybody watched that Border Town show?

I don't hate myself, no.

• Options
    ...holy shit, Fox has been airing Bordertown since the start of January?

Wow, they REALLY haven't been advertising the thing. Looks like a complete burn-off.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ...holy shit, Fox has been airing Bordertown since the start of January?

Wow, they REALLY haven't been advertising the thing. Looks like a complete burn-off.

You seem surprised

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA