As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] Awakening: Out now in the colonies. Europe suffers still.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    23uai.jpg23uah.jpg

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm guessing those are Nintendo point cards or something.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    eShop point cards if I understood it correctly. Oddly enough I think the pink one sports the superior design, despite the fact that I usually don't like pink as a colour.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it isn't fire emblem without some good ol incest

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    it isn't fire emblem without some good ol incest

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn didn't have incest, did they?

• Options
    Not really.

Ike's A support could be seen as him falling in love with his mother figure Titania if you really want to stretch it. Same with Ike Soren and a brother/brother relationship, but no real honest incest like the older games.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So the chances of another Fire Emblem for the Wii is beyond 0 at this point, I take it? Suppose that's 1 game I'll want for the Wii U for sure! If they do one, anyway...

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So the chances of another Fire Emblem for the Wii is beyond 0 at this point, I take it? Suppose that's 1 game I'll want for the Wii U for sure! If they do one, anyway...

Well... Thracia 776 was released in 1999 for the SNES - even though the N64 was already out. I believe it was the very last SNES game made, but don't quote me on that.

Realistically, though, I wouldn't count on it.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Let's just wait and see whether they decide to bring the 3DS one over to NA first.
    Probably but you never know with NoA.

I'm hoping for a British voice cast. Don't let me down, NoE!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    A friend of mine introduced me to Advance Wars when it released stateside. Having never been a big turn-based strategy fan, I begrudgingly gave it a go. Loved it! Found a had a nack for these types of games. After Fire Emblem came out on the GBA, it was all over for me. Owned and played each one ever since.

Personally I think that the original GBA FE had the best cast of characters, but PoR/RD had the best engines. Sadly, the DS remakes to me were a big let down. Hopefully this new FE will bring the best of all FE worlds.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Since I'm starved for FE news, have a Brief Introduction to Fire Emblem. In Japanese.

It seems to cover the basics of Fire Emblem games in general, but it's still got some interesting new info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=VY2dfl4Axy0&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_24224&v=KBcHO3ottTU

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    2Uart.png

Hopefully this indicates Ayra will be sufficiently overpowered.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Considering she's got Skill and Speed scores over 30 along with Vantage and Astra skills, yeah, I'd call her pretty powerful. It'd probably be safe to call her overpowered when you also consider her level, but it's kind of hard to tell without knowing what kind of stats everybody else has for this game.

All this news about the new Fire Emblem has gotten me to go back and restart Path of Radiance in the hopes of completing it this time - last time I made it to Chapter 12 where I'm now up to Chapter 14, so I guess I'm on the right track. Comparing the current file to my previous file (before I deleted it), it looks like while I'm still trying to keep a no-death run, I'm not fussing about as much with making sure I'm getting good level ups and making use of bonus EXP efficiently. Only time will tell if I make it through - and then I'll be able to move on to Radiant Dawn.

EDIT: The weirdest thing about this playthrough is that I'm actually developing Mist a bit this time, and she's now got more Str (7) than she does Mag (6) at Level 9. It's kind of crazy.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ooh, didn't know there was a Fire Emblem thread.

I recently replayed Radiance + Dawn..100+ hours well spent :P
    Though I chickened out and played on Normal again. I really should try one of the harder difficulties one of these days..

Edit: Although, reading the OP again..no battle saves in hard mode? Fuck that shit.

Also, this:
    XoB wrote:
    FIRE EMBLEM: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow
    Released 2010 Japan, Though I'd beat a rather large sum of money that this gets a 2011 release in the US and Europe
    :lol::lol::lol:

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    No enemy range calculator either. Hard Mode in RD doesn't fuck around. Watching a friend go through it recently.

on that second bit, yep. Chen still gives me shit for it whenever he remembers to.

I just got tired and imported it late last year. It's a great game. Wish they had skipped the much worse but still pretty decent Shadow Dragon instead.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    No enemy range calculator either.

I really hate that part of it. It's not any harder, it's just a little extra busywork. I always think a feature is terrible if the only real effect it has is absorbing a little extra time.

I got Shadow Dragon but it feels pretty dull, I'd rather just play PoR again.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Well, yes and no. It does take more time if you don't have that shit internalized anyways but it is also an added layer of difficulty. No more huge red blob to motherfucking tell you that no, you really shouldn't put your cleric there.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Not really.

Ike's A support could be seen as him falling in love with his mother figure Titania if you really want to stretch it. Same with Ike Soren and a brother/brother relationship, but no real honest incest like the older games.

Stop rushing him! Ike is asexual and will divide into two Ike's when he's good and ready!

I'll get this game and be unable to get past Chapter 1. No regrets.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Well, yes and no. It does take more time if you don't have that shit internalized anyways but it is also an added layer of difficulty. No more huge red blob to motherfucking tell you that no, you really shouldn't put your cleric there.

It's not really more difficult though, because there's still exactly the same information except now you need to select the unit, check how far they can move and the range of their weapons (making sure to check they don't have a handaxe or something as a backup), then count how many spaces that is to work out the edge of their range, then try to remember exactly which sandy desert tile of the 50 sandy desert tiles that was when you're moving your units. It's even worse when there's a mage with long-range magic.

A good strategy game is about testing the player's strategy. Taking away convenience like that is either testing the player's ability to count, or their patience, and I always lose patience eventually.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Basically.

The information is still there it is just more busywork to get it.

Seems kind of backwards to me.

• Options
    God I love FE. That is all.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I will be getting this next month. I remember playing some of the GBA games ages ago. How does this series compare to the Advance Wars series?

• Options
    EVOL wrote: »
    I will be getting this next month. I remember playing some of the GBA games ages ago. How does this series compare to the Advance Wars series?

Gameplay mechanics are very similar, except all your units have names, personalities, and stats. AW guys are throwaway in comparison. Basically, imagine AW with a lot of RPG aspects. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Gameplay mechanics are very similar, except all your units have names, personalities, and stats. AW guys are throwaway in comparison. Basically, imagine AW with a lot of RPG aspects. :)

Also, Fire Emblem tries to focus more on story and make their characters more complex/believable.

And since you can't just churn out units in Fire Emblem games, you have to be somewhat careful with the people you recruit.

Oh, and, while in Advance Wars all units of a certain type are all the exact same (A Mech is a Mech is a Mech), the does not hold true for Fire Emblem's units. While Myrmidons in general are speedy and dodgy with low strength and health, that doesn't necessarily mean that's true for every single individual Myrmidon.

• Options
    That's not entirely true. Myrmidons have fixed base stats. It's just that the RNG is a factor in determining enemy and your own stats. In the two DS games, you can change classes, which in turn changes your stats (base stats of class) and your growths (base growths of class). I assume it'll be similar in Awakening.

Also, Sami's mechs are not the same as other mechs thanks to her multiplier and CO power(s). It's why the term mech rush, derived from zerg rush, was popularized.

Thirdly, hax.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Basically, if you want a game where you can focus on mass units with minor differences in them, go for AW.
    If you want more personalized unit choices with a larger RPG feeling, go for FE.

In fact, fuck it, get both. Both game series are absolutely phenomenal and must be played/owned.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    It wouldn't be Fire Emblem without-

Wait, what.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the real question is liliana/roy's mothers

• Options
    Roy's mom is clearly Ninian. This is like Bianca DQ 5 territory. Sure there are other potential people it could be, but it isn't.

• Options
    Lilina's mother is Florina. I accept no one else.

Lin can have Rath. Sue is totally their daughter.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Looks like today's thread bumb was oddly relevant.
    The second Iwata Asks column for Fire Emblem Awakening reveals that this original 3DS entry in the series has love elements

Genki Yokota, the game's director on Nintendo's side, explained that one of the major themes for the new game is love of the characters, so he really wanted to add a marriage system to the game. Producer Hitoshi Yamagami felt the same way, saying that the marriage elements from Super Famicom's Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu, the first time such elements appeared in the series, left a great impression in him.

For Awakening's marriage system, they increased the variation of the possible couple combinations. You can marry any of your allies, and your My Unit characters too.

The development staff created special graphics for proposals. Some on the team even suggested that they make kiss faces for all the characters.

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Oh my god this is the game of the millennium.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Welp looks like I'm ready for some Henry time!

But if you can marry any of your allies, that means gay relationships too? I'm surprised.

edit: some info on DLC
    Due to how late the request arrived, they weren't able to do things like remove passages from the main game or make adjustments to passages in the game. This may not have been a problem, as Iwata noted that one concern when making a game compatible with download content is that you have to make sure you have enough built into the main game so that you absolutely will not hear criticism that the game is too lacking in content for those who don't buy the DLC.
    Elsewhere in the interview, the staff discussed some of the game's non-paid download content. Players will receive a "Spot Pass Team" on a nearly daily basis. This team will consist of characters made in the image of past Fire Emblem characters. You'll be able to fight them, make them into allies, and so-forth. You can expect to receive around 120 teams through Spot Pass.

If all DLC was like this, I don't think people would really complain about them.

EVOL on
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Awakening will be the the first Nintendo package 3DS game to have paid download content. Sounds like something CEO Satoru Iwata would want to bring up during the game's Iwata Asks column.

Iwata did just that in a column that was posted today.

Genki Yokota, director on the Nintendo side of the project, revealed that the topic of download content came up towards the end of the project when development was nearing completion. It was a bit tight in terms of scheduling, so instead of the producer saying "Let's add download content," he said something closer to "So, should we add download content?"

Due to how late the request arrived, they weren't able to do things like remove passages from the main game or make adjustments to passages in the game. This may not have been a problem, as Iwata noted that one concern when making a game compatible with download content is that you have to make sure you have enough built into the main game so that you absolutely will not hear criticism that the game is too lacking in content for those who don't buy the DLC.

Kohei Maeda, director on the Intelligent Systems side of the project, said that they're currently in the process of making the download content, and they will keep on making more from here on out.

Elsewhere in the interview, the staff discussed some of the game's non-paid download content. Players will receive a "Spot Pass Team" on a nearly daily basis. This team will consist of characters made in the image of past Fire Emblem characters. You'll be able to fight them, make them into allies, and so-forth. You can expect to receive around 120 teams through Spot Pass. View a video of the Spot Pass support here.

Separate from the download content support, the staff also discussed the game's optional first person view mode. This was added because the staff thought it would would go well with the 3D. View a movie of the 3D mode here.

• Options
    Welp looks like I'm ready for some Henry time!

But if you can marry any of your allies, that means gay relationships too? I'm surprised.

I hope that 'marry any of your allies' doesn't mean 'anyone with anyone else', if only to avoid Radiant Dawn's rather disappointing Support System (and also because it wouldn't make much sense).

And I'm so keeping my fingers crossed for gay relationships. Raven, Heather, Ike some might argue... Fire Emblem doesn't shy away from implying. It'd be nice if they made it explicit for once.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UJ_41CmPwRQ#!

Yep, definitely the best animation since...well, forever.

• Options
    Those new Griffon Knights and Dark Pegasus knights look pretty awesome. Can't wait to try 'em out.

I wonder if those Dark Pegasus and Dark Knights are promotions for your magical units or your Pegasus Knights and Cavaliers.

And did my ears deceive me or was that Barbarian a woman? I've been a bit annoyed at the lack of female axe users in the past.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    The game scored 36/40 in this month's Famitsu, by the way. Not bad..though Famitsu scores tend to be a little weird sometimes.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
This discussion has been closed.