As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Announcing National Announcement Service, Ltd

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    Joe K wrote: »
    man I'm getting dangerously close to being ranked 1 in my bronze division

it's good and bad... what I want is a promotion but I don't deserve one yet. still way to close to 50/50 against equal level people. argh. still lose to dumb things.

embrace the #1 spot, and make it impossible for the rest of your div to come close.

eventually, you'll figure out how to beat higher level players. but damnit, your beter than the rst of the idiots in your div.

oh I'll wear it loud and proud believe me :D I just want more

i hear ya. i'd rather be a 300 point gold than a 3000 point bronze.

Joe K on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Who Just won a gaming computer?

<---- This Guy

Thanks to all that voted for me :D

Man, if only I had spent thousands of hours learning how to draw then I could have won the computer instead :(

Oh well, at least I'm pretty good at starcraft! That's a much cooler skill.

Lemming on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Who Just won a gaming computer?

<---- This Guy

Thanks to all that voted for me :D

holy shit! nice! post up specs and pictures!
    man I'm getting dangerously close to being ranked 1 in my bronze division

it's good and bad... what I want is a promotion but I don't deserve one yet. still way to close to 50/50 against equal level people. argh. still lose to dumb things.

embrace the #1 spot, and make it impossible for the rest of your div to come close.

eventually, you'll figure out how to beat higher level players. but damnit, your beter than the rst of the idiots in your div.

oh I'll wear it loud and proud believe me :D I just want more

i hear ya. i'd rather be a 300 point gold than a 3000 point bronze.

i'm fairly sure Vari mistyped Bronze and meant Diamond because he's nearly 3k diamond.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hello. How come I lost to this zerg? I scouted his roaches, built lots of stalkers + immortals, sniped his expo while getting my own up, but he still over-ran me. What gives?

repimg-33-191497.jpg

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They didn't tell me the specifics other than it has an i7, intel extreme mobo, hyperx ram, and other essential parts.

But stilllllll awesome.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Hello. How come I lost to this zerg? I scouted his roaches, built lots of stalkers + immortals, sniped his expo while getting my own up, but he still over-ran me. What gives?
    After your successful initial attack and after investing heavily into your economy (look at the worker count when he's about to counterattack you, it's like 41-27) instead of taking advantage of your economy and getting out some immortals or colossi or a void ray and more gateway units you choose to attack into 9 roaches and 2 spinecrawlers with 6 stalkers, 3 zealots and 1 (ONE!?) sentry with no forward pylon. You can't afford to lose your entire army like that to a zerg. After that you spam out a ton of stalkers with no zealots to help tank and only have one immortal to defend against his push, and no cannons at your expo to hide behind.

Should've waited longer for your econ to kick in a bit, in that game once you saw that amount of roaches probably pumped out some more immortals and zealots and for the love of god a sentry or two, and then done some later aggression.

JAEF on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Scrap can be bad for zerg for several reasons:

1) In ZvP, metagame shifts mean that you can't risk fast expanding or going early mutas without being punished for it heavily (with cannons or phoenixes, respectively).

2) Like horizontal shakuras, colo/stalker and marine/tank pushes through the rocks are difficult to stop.

3) Taking and defending your third becomes extremely difficult if you allow your opponent to pick up their third in turn.

In short, it's no basin, but mid-/late-game on scrap can be incredibly uncomfortable for zerg.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    After your successful initial attack and after investing heavily into your economy (look at the worker count when he's about to counterattack you, it's like 41-27) instead of taking advantage of your economy and getting out some immortals or colossi or a void ray and more gateway units you choose to attack into 9 roaches and 2 spinecrawlers with 6 stalkers, 3 zealots and 1 (ONE!?) sentry with no forward pylon.

Should've waited longer for your econ to kick in a bit, in that game once you saw that amount of roaches probably pumped out some more immortals and zealots and for the love of god a sentry or two, and then done some later aggression.

After I killed off his expo, I figured that with my reinforcements heading in, he wouldn't be able to make any more stuff... I thought if I didn't push my advantage then, being zerg, he'd catch right up... I take it this is the wrong approach?

In my mind all I saw were a billion drones hatching at once and my econ advantage disappearing, so my mind screamed GO NOW GO GO.

And lastly, the sentry thing... When the unit numbers are that low, I can see the appeal of cutting the army in half with forcefields... but in small numbers they practically move in a line, how do you cut them in half?

Spaffy on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

repimg-33-191497.jpg

Watching it now. Don't have time for a detailed analysis, I'll type this up as I go

1) Forge and cannon was a waste of 300 minerals. That was a standard pool timing.

2) You had LONG periods of time (and lots of them) where you were making no workers. You were behind on workers despite his later expansion AND him making a ton of lings that did nothing.

3) You threw your army away against his front defenses at 11mins. You were ahead until you did that. From there you just had no units to defend with.

4) You pushed out AGAIN with your stalkers and 1 immortal, putting yourself in a position where Zerglings could surround you.

After your successful initial attack and after investing heavily into your economy (look at the worker count when he's about to counterattack you, it's like 41-27) instead of taking advantage of your economy and getting out some immortals or colossi or a void ray and more gateway units you choose to attack into 9 roaches and 2 spinecrawlers with 6 stalkers, 3 zealots and 1 (ONE!?) sentry with no forward pylon.

After I killed off his expo, I figured that with my reinforcements heading in, he wouldn't be able to make any more stuff... I thought if I didn't push my advantage then, being zerg, he'd catch right up... I take it this is the wrong approach?

In my mind all I saw were a billion drones hatching at once and my econ advantage disappearing, so my mind screamed GO NOW GO GO.

If he hatches a billion drones now he'll have no army while your army and economy continue to grow.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MashimaroMashimaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    What wrote: »
    "2 base all-in"

He doesn't seem very high level to me. No, you didnt need broodlords. Perhaps making Hydras and Corrupters might've helped you?!

Complaining about Scrap as Zerg. I think he's bad.

Yeah but he is Masters League. His knowledge doesn't seem the greatest but he gets wins somehow, micro maybe?

He can complain and it doesn't make him bad at the game. Maybe his strategy is really bad on scrap station, but works well (or he executes it well enough) on other maps, so he feels like scrap is imba.

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JAEF on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

repimg-33-191497.jpg

You didn't make enough probes and you threw away your army on the second push. Once you saw those spines you should've been out of there. I feel like your first push would've outright killed him if you hadn't built the forge and cannons (it would've been there substantially earlier.

TannerMS on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I never liked scrap as zerg... even though I was told I should.

- The multiple chokes just make it impossible to surround and macro.
    - You can only get to 3 bases once you've already won (breaking the rocks favor the other races heavily due to their siege weapons)
    - And yes a safe natural favours the other races because that's all they usually need until late mid-game

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    granted, I haven't abused nydus on that map yet... there is potential!

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    man im rusty

hopefully ill play some more after dinner

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

repimg-33-191497.jpg

Watching it now. Don't have time for a detailed analysis, I'll type this up as I go

1) Forge and cannon was a waste of 300 minerals. That was a standard pool timing.

2) You had LONG periods of time (and lots of them) where you were making no workers. You were behind on workers despite his later expansion AND him making a ton of lings that did nothing.

3) You threw your army away against his front defenses at 11mins. You were ahead until you did that. From there you just had no units to defend with.

4) You pushed out AGAIN with your stalkers and 1 immortal, putting yourself in a position where Zerglings could surround you.

If he hatches a billion drones now he'll have no army while your army and economy continue to grow.

Thank you Dhal. Point taken about the probes but I was never more than 3 workers behind him and then I overtook him by quite some distance? I'll watch it again and check, though. That was the reason I attacked when I did - I thought my econ advantage would mean he had nothing to defend with.

I definitely should have retreated in both occasions but in the time it took me to take my eyes off battle, warp in more units, and move back to the battle, all my army were dead :(
    I feel like your first push would've outright killed him if you hadn't built the forge and cannons (it would've been there substantially earlier.

At the time I thought it seemed like an early pool... when I see a pool and gas go down close together like that my first thought is roach rush :( Wish I could remember what scouting info actually means!

Spaffy on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I just got worker rushed on Steppes...but it was only with the original six drones. And I'm protoss.

Before that, a guy left instantly at the start of the game. I looked at his match history and he'd lost 20 games in a row in the past hour. He was platinum, so I guess he's looking to get demoted.

Bronze is seriously the best. Also, I don't care what anyone says, to win in bronze, you only need macro. Well, and the ability to hold off some early bullshit. But seriously, every single game I've won (that people have actually tried to win), I've had double or 33% larger of an army as basically all times. And my macro is really, really not good.

Graviija on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bronze is fun. Some days I want to tank myself to bronze just so that I can fuck around and do weird stuff and not get annihilated.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It is fun. No one seems to know about, or at least is able to implement in any effective way, timing pushes, counter attacks, upgrades, expanding, any of it.

I don't want to talk like I'm too far above it all, but...well, so far, I kinda am.

Graviija on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    no sotg tonight huh? not on teamliquid calendar

boo

maybe they announced it and I forgot.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Graviija wrote: »
    It is fun. No one seems to know about, or at least is able to implement in any effective way, timing pushes, counter attacks, upgrades, expanding, any of it.

I don't want to talk like I'm too far above it all, but...well, so far, I kinda am.

Wait til you get to the giddy heights of gold!

Seriously fuck gold

Spaffy on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

boo

JP and iNcontroL's twitters both say there'll be one.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

boo

i would hope theres a sotg tonight

want more juicy details on nasl

although knowing how itll be, incontrol will just restate what has been announced, maybe get tangental on a few points like the voting or something and not really go into depth on things that matter

oh well

i dont think theres a way someone could unhype me for nasl

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

"The production quality will be equal to or worse than that of the showmatch."
    Jk. Hope they sort all of that out before the first season, though. I really do expect the quality to meet or exceed that of the GSL stream/broadcasts.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    iowa wrote: »
    in non mirror matches zergs will almost always take the nat expo before the opponent takes his.

this opens the z up to a lot of harassments/bunker rush/2 gate etc

when its safer to defend the nat expo the zerg has an easier time with this.

easy nat d maps favor zerg.

"due to creep between the bases" is not any kind of logic man. its just you saying something. you typing words

It is impossible for me to disagree more with this.

Enigma435 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the problem is we have no basis for arguments in this thread. we cant use logic.

we cant even start

its just words

iowa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    P.s., someone published the PTR test maps on live. Search for:

1.21 TestMap1
    1.21 TestMap2
    1.21 TestMap3
    1.21 TestMap4
    1.21 TestMap5

Kambing on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    the problem is we have no basis for arguments in this thread. we cant use logic.

we cant even start

its just words

Was that quote in reference to scrap station or just in general?

Kambing on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kambing wrote: »

The production quality will be equal to or worse than that of the showmatch.
    Jk. Hope they sort all of that out before the first season, though. I really do expect the quality to meet or exceed that of the GSL stream/broadcasts.

see i have realized that is a distinct possibility

doesnt phase me

although

if this whole thing faceplants, im scared about the possibility of it scaring away any future investors in esports

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    in general

we literally cant talk about the game in this thread

iowa on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    MLG is growing rapidly anyways isn't it?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    oh my god lost temple is so much better

fucking aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kambing wrote: »

The production quality will be equal to or worse than that of the showmatch.

see i have realized that is a distinct possibility

doesnt phase me

although

if this whole thing faceplants, im scared about the possibility of it scaring away any future investors in esports

That's actually my fear too. I have no worries about there being a good 3 seasons of starcraft games. I'm worried about production values not meeting the expectations of a 20-25$/season, and the lack of big sponsors to give a sense that the whole thing will last after the initial season.

Kambing on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    MLG is growing rapidly anyways isn't it?

yeah, and the mlg ceo sounded like he is going to support sc2 for as long as he is getting sponsors

although, did nasl say who their sponsors were?

i should probably just wait and see with nasl rather than speculating though

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    alright I like 1 and 2 a lot, not so much 3. maybe... it looks really difficult to expand at all but idk for sure... I guess rocks do count for something

Variable on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Scrap Station is fairly balanced for Zerg statistically. It's PvT that is out of whack on that map.

edit: Pretty much the same for foreign statistics, too.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    NASL is sponsored by Blizzard at least, dunno who else (if anyone).

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    in general

we literally cant talk about the game in this thread

Ah ok. I agree with that easy nat defense takes one of the problematic areas out of zerg gameplay (i.e., early game cheese). I wouldn't say that the map is necessarily zerg favored though as a result because it can suffer from jungle basin syndrome where a third (and consequently your fourth or fifth) is difficult to hold. And zerg need those extra bases to break mid-/late-game protoss and terran.

Kambing on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    3clipse wrote: »
    NASL is sponsored by Blizzard at least, dunno who else (if anyone).

I assume it's just blizzard because if there were sponsors already, they would have their branding all over the website. And also I wonder how much of that money is coming from Blizzard.

I think an entirely-blizzard sponsored league feels stable. A league that only has blizzard's backing in name has me worried for its future without other sponsors propping it up.

Kambing on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Who's casting right now?

TL DR on