As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Chat] Santa Went Crazy

1373839404143»

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Should I buy an x360 this late in the console's life cycle?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think it falls under most ps3 games I buy and such are not multiplayer. My multiplayer platform is my computer. Though I did bulletstorm demo on the ps3 and might get it for that but only probably after it drops in price.

I want mvc3 but I know me and fighting games, I play gungho for a week then forget I own them.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Man, I haven't played online multiplayer since RDR came out. PS3 really is the loner system.

What the hell happened? PSOne and PS2 sold like gangbusters. PS3 ... *tumbleweeds*

I'm pretty sure the PS3 isn't exactly selling badly

It's just that the 360 and Wii are doing crazy good, so it looks a lot worse

But the real issue is the lack of multiplayer games for the PS3.

It doesn't bother me too much because I do about 80% of my gaming on the PC

So the PS3 being an entirely singleplayer game system is okay for me

Nocturne on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Eddy wrote: »

yes

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    get mass effect 2, of course

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011

It's a great time to have one. You get a virtually unlimited backlog of titles to go run through.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    uh, anyone had email bounced from their yahoo address and the sender gets this message?
    554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a swbell.net account

it's kind of worrisome.

uh, anyone able to help me out here or get me started in the right direction?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Hedgie, almost every human being has things which they are uncomfortable with for stupid reasons, many of those reasons being based on horrible societal bullshit. That does not mean that discomfort is not to be put into consideration.

Doesn't mean it should be, either.

As for the person who pointed out he brought up his faith, I find that to be a strike against him, to be honest. I'd like to know where, exactly, it says for him to not compete against women.

I interpreted more as a values situation. Guy feels uncomfortable participating in a violent sport with a girl as his opponent, was probably brought up with the "don't hit girls" mantra. Additionally, as has been mentioned earlier, some of the stuff in wrestling is kind of gay, but there's an attitude in sports where that's ignored because, well, it's a sport, and the context isn't sexual in nature. But when your opponent is a girl it is harder to ignore the sexual undertones of a sport like wrestling. Groping a strange girl you've just met isn't exactly in line with Christian values.

But you're ignoring the fact that the guy defaulted from the match respectfully. I still don't think you've read the article.

Here are some choice quotes.
    "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," wrote Northup. "As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."
    In a text message to The Associated Press, her father, Bill Herkelman, said he understands Northup's decision.

"It's nice to get the first win and have her be on the way to the medal round," Bill Herkelman wrote. "I sincerely respect the decision of the Northup family especially since it was made on the biggest stage in wrestling. I have heard nothing but good things about the Northup family and hope Joel does very well the remainder of the tourney."

Consider for a moment that Northup defaulted at a major wrestling event. His discomfort at the prospect of fighting a girl was great enough for him to jeopardize his chances. Obviously it bothered him a great deal, and he bowed out as gracefully as you can in that situation.

Regarding his comment, I'm a big believer in the old saying "actions speak louder than words." I feel that if he truly respected them and their accomplishments, he would have seen them as worthy competitors. Aslo, the only person "placing" him in this situation is himself, so that's yet more weaseling.

As for groping, if you're groping during a match, you're doing it wrong. And asking for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

He has every right to forfeit. What he doesn't have the right to is to demand everyone see it as principled.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    fluffy! community is soon!

Yes! :D

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    According to this

The PS3 has sold more than the N64 or the original OXBOX

And of course the Gamecube

But yeah once again it's just that gaming has become exponentially more popular in recent years, and the Wii and 360 are the more popular systems of this current generation.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nocturne wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Man, I haven't played online multiplayer since RDR came out. PS3 really is the loner system.

What the hell happened? PSOne and PS2 sold like gangbusters. PS3 ... *tumbleweeds*

I'm pretty sure the PS3 isn't exactly selling badly

It's just that the 360 and Wii are doing crazy good, so it looks a lot worse

But the real issue is the lack of multiplayer games for the PS3.

It doesn't bother me too much because I do about 80% of my gaming on the PC

So the PS3 being an entirely singleplayer game system is okay for me

I wouldn't have known Killzone 3 was out if I hadn't idly scrolled passed it on gametrailers.com

That's a big wheel of multiplayer gaming, right?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011

they just recently redesigned the hardware, and there haven't really been enough meaningful advancements in graphics/ processing/ etc as they pertain to games that there's a great market demand for a newer console IMO.

in fact, the current bottleneck mostly seems to be that the cost of development for really high-end graphics & sound have really taken off.

i'd be surprised to see a new console introduced for at least a couple of years.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New thor trailer with slow mo natalie portman running goodness. Thank you mr brannaugh.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The wii beat everyone else hands down when it came to sales. X-Box had the headstart on the ps3, a decent multiplayer set up and some big franchises for it. PS3 came with mediocre multiplayer set up but a blu-ray player, superior graphics processing and a similar catalog to the ps2 aka single player focused. But this generation for a while especially at the beginning the multiplayer was the major focus not the single player.

This has evened out with games like Demon Souls, ME2 coming to the ps3, LBP, AC2 and AssBro and so on which are on the ps3. Plus games like Infamous as an exclusive.

I would say at this point getting a ps3 or an x-box really comes down do you want single player/party style games or online multiplayer(which you pay more for on the x-box but it is a better system). And that is how you decide what you want to buy.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hedgie, almost every human being has things which they are uncomfortable with for stupid reasons, many of those reasons being based on horrible societal bullshit. That does not mean that discomfort is not to be put into consideration.

As for the person who pointed out he brought up his faith, I find that to be a strike against him, to be honest. I'd like to know where, exactly, it says for him to not compete against women.

I interpreted more as a values situation. Guy feels uncomfortable participating in a violent sport with a girl as his opponent, was probably brought up with the "don't hit girls" mantra. Additionally, as has been mentioned earlier, some of the stuff in wrestling is kind of gay, but there's an attitude in sports where that's ignored because, well, it's a sport, and the context isn't sexual in nature. But when your opponent is a girl it is harder to ignore the sexual undertones of a sport like wrestling. Groping a strange girl you've just met isn't exactly in line with Christian values.

But you're ignoring the fact that the guy defaulted from the match respectfully. I still don't think you've read the article.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," wrote Northup. "As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."
    In a text message to The Associated Press, her father, Bill Herkelman, said he understands Northup's decision.

"It's nice to get the first win and have her be on the way to the medal round," Bill Herkelman wrote. "I sincerely respect the decision of the Northup family especially since it was made on the biggest stage in wrestling. I have heard nothing but good things about the Northup family and hope Joel does very well the remainder of the tourney."

Consider for a moment that Northup defaulted at a major wrestling event. His discomfort at the prospect of fighting a girl was great enough for him to jeopardize his chances. Obviously it bothered him a great deal, and he bowed out as gracefully as you can in that situation.

Regarding his comment, I'm a big believer in the old saying "actions speak louder than words." I feel that if he truly respected them and their accomplishments, he would have seen them as worthy competitors. Aslo, the only person "placing" him in this situation is himself, so that's yet more weaseling.

As for groping, if you're groping during a match, you're doing it wrong. And asking for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

He has every right to forfeit. What he doesn't have the right to is to demand everyone see it as principled.

He didn't say they were unworthy competitors. O_o

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

"Seeing them as worth opponents" has nothing to do with the issue of comfortability. You can acknowledge the worth of a fighter and still feel uncomfortable contending with them. He offered an explanation as to why he defaulted, he did not get on the defensive or make an appeal to people to be on his side. Nothing from that article suggests that. What you are inferring is baseless.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    217532795_wHBrN-L-2.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.