As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pissed off with these idiots (On Hometowns and Why Yours Sucks)

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm from Dallas.

Which is an alright sort of place if you don't mind driving ten miles to everything and never, ever, ever leave the metropolitan area. And while in the metropolitan area don't wander in to the wrong neighborhood.

I'm also from Sumner, WA which, being white, means there isn't a wrong neighborhood for me to wander in to. It is, however, in the path of horrific volcanic destruction whenever Rainier decides to explode again.

Quid on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm from South Carolina, and you just need to take a look at the last few pages of the Primary thread to see why this is disappointing.

One of our Senators wants to do away with the Department of Education

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This is now the official Make Fun of Your Hometown/area thread.

I am from California. We elect stupid people for stupid reasons and go bankrupt as a sort of hobby.

Specifically, I come from Salinas, which I guess is awesome if you really like lettuce and rodeos. Alas, I don't.

Salinas was the most annoying part of getting to San Francisco from Monterey.

So boring.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You know what, let me just give two links

Arch on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I live in Connecticut. I can't buy alcohol after 9 or on Sundays.

NOBODY KNOWS WHY

Also we voted for Ned Lamont in the democratic primary then elected Lieberman in the general election. Ned Lamont cried.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Malkor wrote: »

NOBODY KNOWS WHY

You can't buy alcohol (beer/wine excluded) after 7pm or on sundays here

I think I win?

Or do I lose

Arch on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »

NOBODY KNOWS WHY

You can't buy alcohol (beer/wine excluded) after 7pm or on sundays here

I think I win?

Or do I lose

Isn't it the worst thing.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spokane, where the police tie mentally retarded people up and leave them on the ground to suffocate to death on camera and then divorce their wives to protect their assets from the civil suite and remarry them afterward.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is a general idea of what So MD is.

http://forums.somd.com/politics/

Xaquin on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spokane, where the police tie mentally retarded people up and leave them on the ground to suffocate to death on camera and then divorce their wives to protect their assets from the civil suite and remarry them afterward.

O_o

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    God I hate it. And you can't bargain with them. It's not like they'll simply let you have it and you'll just leave a 20 sitting in the leave-a-penny bucket.

Quid on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Havelock wrote: »

O_o

Yup.

Man who died was Otto Zehm.

History of mental disease. Beat and tied up by two officers when he was threatening them with a bottle of soda. They put a mask on him as he was spitting and tried to bite. They left him tied up face down. Man suffocated to death.

FBI is investigating now.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My hometown produced this asshole.

Fred_gets_a_letter_from_his_dad.jpg

Unforgivable, I know.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mark twain
    maplethorpe
    race riots
    the most dangerous neighborhood in the US

&

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/16/ohio.toking.toddler/?hpt=Sbin

yeah cincinnati, keep it real

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My hometown produced Antoine Dodson.

But is also has the Space and Rocket Center. You know, the grand prize always given out at the end of the Nickelodeon game shows in the 90s.

Maybe that balances it out. but probably not.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ObiFett wrote: »

But is also has the Space and Rocket Center. You know, the grand prize always given out at the end of the Nickelodeon game shows in the 90s.

Whoo highfive Huntsville.

I actually live a little bit outside of Huntsville. We got an Intervention documentary called Meth Mountain a couple years ago. Hooray?

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Whoo highfive Huntsville.

I actually live a little bit outside of Huntsville. We got an Intervention documentary called Meth Mountain a couple years ago. Hooray?

I'm from that area, too, actually! Scottsboro, in fact. Yep, that Scottsboro.

We also have that store what sells unclaimed baggage.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was expecting so much from Unclaimed Baggage the time I went to Scottsboro. I was imagining a plethora of amazing underpriced treasures.

Thats not what it was at all.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was expecting so much from Unclaimed Baggage the time I went to Scottsboro. I was imagining a plethora of amazing treasures.

Yeah, that's why I hardly ever went there during my 12+ years living in Scottsboro. I did find a fairly nice copy of the Dirk Gently books, but that's about it.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This is now the official Make Fun of Your Hometown/area thread.

I am from California. We elect stupid people for stupid reasons and go bankrupt as a sort of hobby.

Specifically, I come from Salinas, which I guess is awesome if you really like lettuce and rodeos. Alas, I don't.

at least you guys have steinbeck

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jesus do I know they have Steinbeck.

Fuckers don't shut up about him.

Quid on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was expecting so much from Unclaimed Baggage the time I went to Scottsboro. I was imagining a plethora of amazing treasures.

Yeah, that's why I hardly ever went there during my 12+ years living in Scottsboro. I did find a fairly nice copy of the Dirk Gently books, but that's about it.

That place was the biggest disappointment. It's all I heard about when I first moved here.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gosport - the one in England, not Connecticut.

Fucking boring, especially once the cinema shut down. The most interesting thing I remember seeing in the local press was a girl being shot in the leg with an air rifle. It was later revealed that she made the whole thing up.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm from Arkansas, the state that unleashed Mike Huckabee on all of you. Please accept my apologies.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ha. I've lived in some lovely places.

Central Pennsylvania. They aren't joking when they say "Pittsburgh in the east, Philadephia in the west, Alabama in the middle." Get outside Harrisburg, and it's practically Klan country. Crazy hillbillies, too. Occasionally some Amish.

Phoenix. Man. The metro area is basically (X*Mexicans+Y*LouDobbs)=4.3 million. Not sure what X and Y are at this point, or who's winning. Well, "winning" is relative.

And now I live in Bremerton, WA. So close to Seattle, yet so far away. I honestly wouldn't now where to fucking start on this place. I saw a guy riding a bicycle down Wycoff Ave. trying to stuff a rifle (might have been a shotgun) down his jacket. Tweekers and Bremelos all over the place. MxPx lied to me.

EDIT: Ha, apparently MxPx's "Move to Bremerton" has a video. A video that, amusingly, features only like two quick shots of Bremerton (the rest is all Seattle, the ferry, or the surrounding areas of Kitsap County). Oh, and them running around the Bremerton K-Mart parking lot, which is now closed, leaving a gigantic strip mall (3-4 big-box stores) with like one tenant left (Rite-Aid, no less). Which just reinforces most peoples' view of Bremerton..."Bremerton: We've, uh, got a ferry? You can go to Seattle from here?"

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Winder needs to change its motto from "City of Opportunity" to "stop by for a burger."

MKR on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    Winder needs to change its motto from "City of Opportunity" to "stop by for a burger."

Ha. You live in Winder. You're like, between Atlanta and Athens. But not on 78 or 316. So you're kind of irrelevant. Ha. I mock Winder.

I was from Marin County, CA. Then I was from Athens, GA. And now I'm from L.A. I guess all of those places are kind of nice. Except that LA is annoying as shit. For all the obvious reasons.

VishNub on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    L.A. is nice, to visit.

Well, really only Westwood and thereabouts (UCLA). But man, Beverly Hills, good god, Beverly Hills. South Park poked fun at S.F. for smug and such, but B.Hills is the only place I've been so far where I'm wholly surprised it hasn't disappeared up its own ass yet.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    VishNub wrote: »

Ha. You live in Winder. You're like, between Atlanta and Athens. But not on 78 or 316. So you're kind of irrelevant. Ha. I mock Winder.

I was from Marin County, CA. Then I was from Athens, GA. And now I'm from L.A. I guess all of those places are kind of nice. Except that LA is annoying as shit. For all the obvious reasons.

Hey now, we have Fort Yargo.

It's just that the people who run this city aren't bright enough to figure out how to capitalize on the 500k people who visit it every year.

And we're near Barrow Crossing! It has a few stores amidst the empty storefronts.

:?

:(

However, Barrow is getting a theater soon. Except it's Real3D instead of IMAX.

Welp, Winder is doomed.

But hey, at least Bethlehem is starting to get some 316 love. Coattails and all that.

MKR on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It's just that the people who run this city aren't bright enough to figure out how to capitalize on the 500k people who visit it every year.

And we're near Barrow Crossing! It has a few stores amidst the empty storefronts.

Welp, Winder is doomed.

But hey, at least Bethlehem is starting to get some 316 love. Coattails and all that.

If they ever build the stupid train, it might go through there? I kind of miss Athens. Mostly because the rent is literally less than a quarter of what I pay here.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Welp, Winder is doomed.

If they ever build the stupid train, it might go through there? I kind of miss Athens. Mostly because the rent is literally less than a quarter of what I pay here.

It just got a Trader Joe's. The lovely thing about Athens is you can follow the perimiter for pretty much any kind of product you'd ever want to buy, then go down the middle for any kind of service you'd need or want and get to walk around the lovely downtown core.

Plus, parks. <3 the botanical garden in warm weather.

Also, PINES and the UGA library.

MKR on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My hometown invented a special type of snuffbox hinge at the end of the 18th century and was, for a while, one of the biggest snuffbox manufacturing towns in the UK.

The symbol of my hometown is a tower that was built on top of a nearby hill by a local lord in order to show off how rich he was.

When you come from a small village, there's often not much to say about your hometown other than the standard "It's boring and small, I can't wait to get out of here".

Starcross on
  • Options
    luckycatluckycat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm from Memphis, PBS had a documentary about my hometown that made it look a lot more like a Hell hole than I thought, but if you go online all you ever really hear is how much Memphis sucks.
    Apparently we're the second most segregated city, we have areas with higher infant mortality rates than some third world countries, and we have recently gained world wide fame because one of the worst parts of town has a very high rate of teen pregnancy, as if that was suppose to be a surprise.

All in all, I don't really hear any hate on Memphis outside of Memphians and former Memphians themselves.

Oh, and Elvis lived here.

luckycat on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Springs,_Florida

I've lived here since about '84 I think. It's a nice place if you're married with 2.5 children, which I'm not. Otherwise it's boringly bland suburbia to the nth degree. On the bright side, I'm only a few hours south of Orlando (Universal Studios) and a few hours north of the Keys (Duval St. in Key West). And about 30 minutes to Ft. Lauderdale Beach. And no, I don't go to Miami if I can help it.

Krieghund on
  • Options
    Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is my home: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmond,_Oklahoma

I'm a magician. Not surprisingly, I do tricks for the neighborhood kids. One mother asked me not to because she didn't want her children "exposed to dark powers" (verbatim).

Yeah... sometimes I wish I did not live in the Bible belt.

Michael Vox on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Venice, FL.
    Mohamed Atta and two of his friends trained at our airport. The median age is 69. On the bright side, that means free old people stuff like jazz concerts and a city art gallery!

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You know the real reason Terry Fox stopped his cross-Canada run at Thunder Bay? It was because he took a look at the place, went "Is this what the rest of the country is like?" and gave up.

I can't wait to get out of here.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooresville,_North_Carolina

AKA "Race City, USA." Our police cars are black and white so they can use a checkered flag pattern, and our 3rd fire station and truck use the Dale Earnhardt 3. On my way to and from college, I drive past a NASCAR speedway, a dragstrip, a mall that has a NASCAR themed section, several NASCAR restaurants, and Dale Earnhardt's house. We don't have a single bookstore, but we have several different tour services to go all the different racer's houses and workshops.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Reznik wrote: »
    You know the real reason Terry Fox stopped his cross-Canada run at Thunder Bay? It was because he took a look at the place, went "Is this what the rest of the country is like?" and gave up.

I can't wait to get out of here.

I remember going out to Thunder Bay a few years back and being somewhat amazed at the state of it despite the perceptions I had that it was a larger, more important city in ontario.

On the plus side for you guys: sleeping giant provincial park is awesome and so are your amethyst quarrys.

Gaddez on