As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The King Of Limbs

2»

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It seems like the people who don't like this album dont like it because it doesn't sound like In Rainbows. Well boo fucking whoo! Why would you want a band to keep making the same album over and over, that would be some redundant mundane shit. None of radioheads albums are the same as their previous ones, and why should they be! They are artists, you don't see painters painting the same portrait over and over or sculpters sculpting the same sculpter in some sort of deranged loop. I may not like every song they put out but I'll be damned if they don't put everything they are into every single one.

Boo whoo?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you guys think it's going to be a double album? 8 tracks seem sort of small for a five year gap in between albums.

Most likely scenario is LP9 coming out in a few months, like Amnesiac did for Kid A. They have over 10 songs of material lying around.

EVOL on
  • Options
    Karl HungusKarl Hungus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    EVOL wrote: »
    Do you guys think it's going to be a double album? 8 tracks seem sort of small for a five year gap in between albums.

Most likely scenario is LP9 coming out in a few months, like Amnesiac did for Kid A. They have over 10 songs of material lying around.

I hope so!

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    kaliyama wrote: »
    It seems like the people who don't like this album dont like it because it doesn't sound like In Rainbows. Well boo fucking whoo! Why would you want a band to keep making the same album over and over, that would be some redundant mundane shit. None of radioheads albums are the same as their previous ones, and why should they be! They are artists, you don't see painters painting the same portrait over and over or sculpters sculpting the same sculpter in some sort of deranged loop. I may not like every song they put out but I'll be damned if they don't put everything they are into every single one.

Boo whoo?

it's like boo hoo and woo hoo all at once

Snork on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wasn't a fan of In Rainbows, like, at all, so this is a really refreshing album for me. It's no The Bends, but it's damn good.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Snork wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »

Boo whoo?

it's like boo hoo and woo hoo all at once

It totally is!

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New York Magazine has an excellent article detailing why Radiohead are one of the few bands promoting serious listening of their music. It's one of the few music editorial pieces that I can agree with 100 percent.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Absolutely amazing album, really grew on me from an already positive stance. The writing, the vocals, the little layers of sound tucked away beneath the others that you catch on subsequent listens...

Plenty of rumours abound of a follow-up collection of songs; In Rainbows' Discbox was packaged with a second disc of material (Which actually wasn't much shorter than The King of Limbs, same number of tracks but the opening was a 1 minute tie-in to Videotape), although that was directly alluded to at the time of release. The 'Newspaper Album' version is mysterious at best, right now.

I can't kick your habit
    Just to feed your fast-ballooning head

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Absolutely amazing album, really grew on me from an already positive stance. The writing, the vocals, the little layers of sound tucked away beneath the others that you catch on subsequent listens...

Plenty of rumours abound of a follow-up collection of songs; In Rainbows' Discbox was packaged with a second disc of material (Which actually wasn't much shorter than The King of Limbs, same number of tracks but the opening was a 1 minute tie-in to Videotape), although that was directly alluded to at the time of release. The 'Newspaper Album' version is mysterious at best, right now.

I can't kick your habit
    Just to feed your fast-ballooning head

I really hope there is a disc 2 or an LP9. Maybe I'll buy the newspaper edition just to be on the safe side :o

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fiziks wrote: »
    New York Magazine has an excellent article detailing why Radiohead are one of the few bands promoting serious listening of their music. It's one of the few music editorial pieces that I can agree with 100 percent.

Great review! I am inclined to agree with it myself. Radiohead seems to have the attitude of "Fuck everyone! We are going to make the music we want to make and if you don't like it tough shit", which is both awesome and frustrating. I applaud them for it, I wouldn't want them any other way.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Surprised by this album, a little different for them but still sounds like Radiohead. I was a little disappointed by the length though.

Regarding "The Eraser" comparisons, it does feel a bit like Thom could have done this solo, but it feels a lot more organic than "Eraser." It feels the most like Kid A to me, like them in a similar mindset but with 10 years more life experience.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    T-bolt wrote: »
    Surprised by this album, a little different for them but still sounds like Radiohead. I was a little disappointed by the length though.

Regarding "The Eraser" comparisons, it does feel a bit like Thom could have done this solo, but it feels a lot more organic than "Eraser." It feels the most like Kid A to me, like them in a similar mindset but with 10 years more life experience.

It does sound a lot like Kid A. I wasn't that into Kid A at first but it grew on me, now I feel its one of their best.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    *Update*
    Separator is infectious. Two parts ingenuity one part mind sects!

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i totally understand what's making everyone make Kid A comparisons and I do kind of agree, but this album does not feel nearly as bleak, paranoid or upsetting as Kid A is, and for that reason it feels much more like a thing unto itself for me

Snork on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    After two listens... one with headphones.. I am still on the "meh" fence on this one.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Demerdar wrote: »
    After two listens... one with headphones.. I am still on the "meh" fence on this one.

I think I'm on my 15th listen and I'm starting to love it now. The more I listen the more I dissect the music and the more I like it. If you're patient enough to invest some time into this album it will definitely pay off.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I went back and listened to Hail to the Thief yesterday and I think it's given me a greater appreciation for TKOL. While not as catchy as Hail to the Thief TKOL seems deeper to me.

Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Karl Hungus on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I didn't get an email about it, but the two Record Store Day tracks, 'The Butcher' and 'Supercollier', are available as a free download on the main TKOL site if you ordered the album before April 18th.

http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    San Diego's 94.9 played the album throughout the day when it was released.

"Give up the Ghost" for some reason just blew my mind, it was so good.

Sky on