As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] PROTOTYPE [Part 15: Two Tickets & One Thousand Suns]

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got them already. ;)
    The good stuff is not too far ahead.

In I'd definitely show at least one move from the highest building, imho the game doesn't get much better in terms of sadistic brutality.

the highest building is that one at the south near the military area I think. At least it feels tall. It's too far from the ones at times square to compare directly.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Part 8: The Door in the Wall + First and Last Things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdd_W0x9AhE

Here's the alternate vid for The Door in the Wall. It's commentated, I chat about some of the finer points of using armor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Pil0JdQLQ

WOI 6:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2tW-RhRlKM

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The first time I played through this, I don't think I even picked up cannonball, and I barely used musclemass, writing it off as not as good as blade. You have opened my eyes, man.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Muscle mass boost is in a class of it's own once you have every "combat" power upgrade. I don't need to use a defensive power when I'm using end game muscle mass unless I'm deciding to come down and duke it out with tanks and hunters fist and feet.

If I made a tier list of powers where the grade is dependent on full potential rather than "ease of use" it'd be:

Muscle Mass: SSS
    Blade: A
    Hammerfist: B+
    Whip: B (only for stealin choppers don't cha know)
    Claws: C

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    See, I never liked the Hammerfist at all; it seems like its only real purpose is for taking out tanks before you get the bladefist.

Maybe I need further edumacation.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've just started playing this again because of this LP, I'd forgotten how brilliant the mechanics of this game are, if not the missions and events themselves. Is there an easy way to restart events? it's a little irriitating to have to complete to play again when you know you've fucked up. (and the event I'm fucking up is eaves-jumping. I'm a little ashamed :P)

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was under the impression that hammerfist had an interesting movement related effect, but I can't remember if it was actually effective or not.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's only B+ if you switch to muscle mass when you elbow drop. When you do that you get a blade strength drop attack that avoids incoming rockets and such better, bounces up after a kill instead of staying in place for two seconds and has an aoe effect to boot. The elbow drop properties are infinitely better than blade on a kill. It's only it's non switch damage that sucks.

The hammertoss is best for getting in the first attack on a tank pack. It stuns them all long enough that you get spike devastator for free. It also makes a couple of missions a bit easier (not as a damage attack, for it's movement ability).
    It's also fantastic against infantry. It's his best infantry power when lots of mans are spread out all over the place. Killing infantry is actually important. They have rockets. Rockets hurt.
    I wish it did more damage. It really sucks that it does low damage per strike. They seem to think it's balanced because it does the same damage to everybody but that doesn't really work in this game.

But yeah, that's why I said full potential not "ease of use". Since you need to think a lot more when using it than muscle mass or blade.

Because tanks get higher and higher health as missions go on, hammertoss is actually kind of suck for damage in the missions themselves. In the freeroam after the game is over the health goes back down and it becomes fine again. You wont see me use anything but muscle mass and blade for damage on tanks in the higher missions. They just require that level of strength. You wont see me use whip much either, since most of the later missions have few enemy helicopters to focus on and those that are tend to be close to the ground. After update ten you'll probably never see spike again. It's sad but that's how the missions go.
    I mean, I might use hammerfist in later missions but because I'll be forced to switch it'll be the same as using muscle mass for damage really. It'll be more like I'm borrowing the properties of elbow drop and then applying the damage of muscle mass. You get the idea.

If you want "ease of use" it's easily.

Blade
    Muscle mass
    Whip
    Hammerfist
    Claw.
    I've just started playing this again because of this LP, I'd forgotten how brilliant the mechanics of this game are, if not the missions and events themselves. Is there an easy way to restart events? it's a little irriitating to have to complete to play again when you know you've fucked up. (and the event I'm fucking up is eaves-jumping. I'm a little ashamed :P)

dont be.
    precision movement is hard in this game because you have to inhibit yourself. you need quite a lot of control to pull it off. its not like other games where large movement is hard.

watch the eaves jumping video in the guide and read the advice. youll see that you dont need to rush it to get a good score.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    lookit lookit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGw1FclQGEU

I found an air zombolon! XD

But then I broke it. :(

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That poor zombie.

It just wanted to fly.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part of him did...

...down the street.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 8.5: Freeroam Highlights (post commentary)

I plucked these bits out of the 40 minutes of freeroam I did where I was doing events, making ep and such. I had a devil of a time editing this because I'm not experienced with editing together nice looking clips and then commentating them. I was having trouble getting the audio in order to autoduck. I nearly ran out of time and so the commentary audio is not up to scratch. Sorry about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqqFtJP-vlc

Part 9: The First Monster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLm7NVPer1g

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have to say that having watched you play this, I'm surprised at just how many little tricks and tactics there are that you can pull off in this game. I never realised that the combat/movement was quite so involved.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The game was carefully designed around it's movement system. Enemies cannot even lock onto you properly when you are moving correctly. (This is in a help text you have to collect)
    They then proceeded to completely fail to tell people how it worked in a competent manner. (collectible help texts? are you joking me?)
    It's all there when you look at the help texts and think carefully about how they link together.
    For example, they directly tell you when you buy air dash how important it is and that you can do it at three different points in a jump. They tell you to experiment to figure this out. Telling someone to experiment is like not telling 80% of the people who will play your game how to do something. Who the hell is going to experiment in a smashing game?
    Besides me, but I do it in every game.

This same approach was applied to everything else as well. Powers? Vague hints and expectation that you'll work it all out on your own. Disguise? Ditto.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 10: Making the Future + Children of Blacklight

Yes I cut it off at the end. I said too much without thinking about stuff I shouldn't have spoken about yet. Sorry about the jarry cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWm58RFri8Q

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, glorious updates.

<3

Morninglord, you are the Maestro of Squish.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The game was carefully designed around it's movement system. Enemies cannot even lock onto you properly when you are moving correctly. (This is in a help text you have to collect)
    They then proceeded to completely fail to tell people how it worked in a competent manner. (collectible help texts? are you joking me?)
    It's all there when you look at the help texts and think carefully about how they link together.
    For example, they directly tell you when you buy air dash how important it is and that you can do it at three different points in a jump. They tell you to experiment to figure this out. Telling someone to experiment is like not telling 80% of the people who will play your game how to do something. Who the hell is going to experiment in a smashing game?
    Besides me, but I do it in every game.

This same approach was applied to everything else as well. Powers? Vague hints and expectation that you'll work it all out on your own. Disguise? Ditto.

To be fair, I don't think there really is more to disguise then the stuff the game tells you. The only unmentioned thing I noticed was soldiers following me when I'm disguised as a commander which isn't all that helpful since they tend to get themselves killed rather quickly.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't think they tell you about line of sight. Just that eaves and overhangs are great.
    They don't specifically tell you why they are great, I'm pretty sure.
    It's obviously line of sight rather than some kind of radius. Since smoke and debri from the destruction you have caused can block it long enough for you to disguise even when there's enemies a few feet away on the other side of the obstruction.
    I've jumped into a heavily smoke filled area and been able to disguise before.

It's not just about what they tell you though: half the time when they do tell you it's vague and tells you to go work out the rest on your own.

I had no idea about the soldiers following the commander thing. I generally don't keep any one disguise for too long. The hunger. It never ends...

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 10.5: Hillary vs Everybody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7SsqhXHps

The real power show comes in the next update. And then a few more freeroams showing off cool things you can do with certain powers after that. I just thought I'd make this first to give everybody a baseline for comparison.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I dread to think what would happen if the real Hilary possessed such terrifying power.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thank you morninglord, thank you. I am now eagerly waiting for power and internet to be active at my home so that i may finish downloading Saints Row 2 and constructing Hilary Clinton. Thanks to you, I will now eagerly await any game with a custom character tool so I may continue our secretary of state's rampage.

Thank you

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can you get a mace melee weapon in SR2? Be sure to hit people while screaming HILLARY HAMMER!!!!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't think they tell you about line of sight. Just that eaves and overhangs are great.
    They don't specifically tell you why they are great, I'm pretty sure.
    It's obviously line of sight rather than some kind of radius. Since smoke and debri from the destruction you have caused can block it long enough for you to disguise even when there's enemies a few feet away on the other side of the obstruction.
    I've jumped into a heavily smoke filled area and been able to disguise before.

It's not just about what they tell you though: half the time when they do tell you it's vague and tells you to go work out the rest on your own.

I had no idea about the soldiers following the commander thing. I generally don't keep any one disguise for too long. The hunger. It never ends...

Wait I thought I got that tip from you?! Well nevermind. If you take the commanders disguise and walk past soldiers they do indeed follow you. I tried to make a last stand with two soldiers at my side in the middle of hundreds of zombies, but then I ran out of bullets and had to persuade them to give me their guns. So I was alone and that was no fun.

Though I wonder right now: If you don a commanders/blackwatch soldiers disguise and get into a tank/helicopter, will other troops/vehicles follow you? Would be really useful earlier in the game when you aren't all powerful. Could also be somewhat helpful later on.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    It's more of a fun thing. There aren't many problems in early prototype that can't be fixed by eating a few zombies and throwing devastators at it. Hives. Bases. etc.
    All fall to the spike.

If I did tell you that, I've since forgotten about it. I don't normally forget about stuff in prototype, but I do have a terrible memory. Still, I think it's more likely you mixed me up with someone else in a prototype thread somewhere.

Oh and you didn't have to take their guns, you coulda beaten the zombies up with your bare hands. They wouldn't have noticed.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The best thing was when the orbs would sometimes tell you the same thing but n different wording. That was incredibly helpful.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's more of a fun thing. There aren't many problems in early prototype that can't be fixed by eating a few zombies and throwing devastators at it. Hives. Bases. etc.
    All fall to the spike.

If I did tell you that, I've since forgotten about it. I don't normally forget about stuff in prototype, but I do have a terrible memory. Still, I think it's more likely you mixed me up with someone else in a prototype thread somewhere.

Oh and you didn't have to take their guns, you coulda beaten the zombies up with your bare hands. They wouldn't have noticed.

I know, but that takes away the whole reason to do so. I really hope they make NPCs far more interactive to both you and the environment and other NPCs, that would make for better and more interesting scenarios. Then again there's a minigun in the sequel, so I don't know.
    Hell, the graphics alone would be reason enough for me to buy it. Have you seen the trailer?! It looks amazing!

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    All I could think about when I saw Prototype 2 was "Will mercer move like me? Have I actually broken prototype 1? I don't think I have. I'm pretty sure they play it like this. Will he move as they intended him to move in 1? God I hope so. I want to fight that!"

I can't help but think of tactical options for anything I see. For example, in that teaser where he tears the helicopter in half by going through it I noticed that he continues on past it for quite a while. So I started wondering if you could line up another helicopter and go through that too.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    All I could think about when I saw Prototype 2 was "Will mercer move like me? Have I actually broken prototype 1? I don't think I have. I'm pretty sure they play it like this. Will he move as they intended him to move in 1? God I hope so. I want to fight that!"

I can't help but think of tactical options for anything I see. For example, in that teaser where he tears the helicopter in half by going through it I noticed that he continues on past it for quite a while. So I started wondering if you could line up another helicopter and go through that too.

Sounds quite possible. Maybe it's an upgrade to a single-attack move? I like it anways, this way you can remove helicopters right away (with style) and focus on other enemies. On the contrary I hope there's no such move for tanks or other enemies as that would be too cheap. Maybe it consumes biomass or requires a specific form? That could balance it out as well.

I really hope that the military aspect will be more fleshed out this time, though. After all, you ARE playing as an (Ex-)soldier.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 11: Men Like Gods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4By20Y8Zg

Next update wont be a story mission. I've got some fun vids cooking.

This is the return fire trophy vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bocxsOqvTH4

Morninglord on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Sending them to God"

It is a good line. Always glad to see a Morninglord post as it may contain an update! My hopes were realized.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Let's Play Prototype Part 11.5 (The Hammerman)

THEME SONG FOR THIS SET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUKB3PxG-0E

"Hammertoss" WOI 7

It's not a normal WOI. Everybody watch it. Trust me it's worth it. Live commentary and everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48Wnpv6JRM

Hammerfist Tutorial Part 1 "Theory"

Do not watch this unless you like detailed walkthroughs of power mechanics in an empty room. I'm serious! It's zero squish, all lecture. You do not need to watch it unless you wish to learn to do what is in part 2 for yourself. I've separated it for this reason. Skip to part 2 if you want smashing funtimes.
    Hammerfist Tutorial Part 2 "Practical"

Smashing fun for all and sundry. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7RWt5sTJ3s

Morninglord on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Mercer AWAY!"

:^:

Green on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Morninglord on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Every time you land directly on a normal human with hammertoss, I flinch.

Same with that consume where he smashes their head with his hammer fist too.

Mars on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Really? The muscle mass "uppercut" and the blade one where he elbows them like three times are the ones that get me.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can I ask what recording software you're using for this Morninglord? I've been considering attempting a Let's Play for some time, but I need to practice my recording and editing skillz first to make sure it will look not shit. Is FRAPS what all the cool kids still use?

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://store.hauppauge.com/hardware2.asp?product=hd_pvr

Using bundled software to record 720p to hdd then editing file.

I'm using avisynth to trim and edit. It's a command line editor that took me a week to get really comfortable with basic functions. It runs on notepad scripts. there's mods that make it much easier to use. check the lets play thread and go to the something awful link.
    I use the avspmod to make these basic functions even easier. It's a gui for avisynth.
    I use megui to encode.
    I learnt how to do it all from browsing the something awful tech support op in the lets play section of their forums. They're mostly pretty good. Rest was learnt from the avisynth wiki and a bit of testing.

Don't actually pay much attention to the lets play tech support part in the penny arcade thread. It's laughably out of date and henroid hasn't gotten around to updating it yet. Do not use mediaencoder it's terrible. I actually used the stablest build I could in mediacoder and encoded the same file in megui. I ended up with a smaller better looking file from megui and avisynth.

I learnt how to do the commentary properly from monger. He tells me I do more detailed work on it than I need to though. I go through and silence sounds like clicking from controller, background, mic movement, coughs, words I didn't meant to say and lip smacks etc. Just because I find them annoying myself let alone letting someone else hear them.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You spoil us morninglord :ˆ:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I forgot to add: have lots of time.
    Lots and lots of time.
    I watch each video at least four times total.
    1). Raw while manually synching the commentary and video.
    2). After extracting audio, editing and autoducking commentary and putting it together with the video in avisynth.
    3). After encoding to check for artifacts/encoding problems.
    4). After uploading to check youtube hasn't screwed me.

So each 20 minute vid requires 5x20 + editing time. Editing is generally double the length for me but could be less for others. So at a minimum I'm looking at 2 1/2 to 2 hours 45 min for a 20 minute vid. And it goes up the longer each vid is.

I'm scaring ya so you understand what you are getting into.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still love these videos Morninglord!

Hammerman running out of catchphrases...

Vic on