As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for sample pages from iconic comics

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Graphic Violence
I'll be teaching a university primer course on comics pretty soon, and while I've got my primary texts (Eisner, McCloud, Moore, Gaiman, Spiegelman etc.), I'm looking for some sample pages for the first one or two sessions where we'll look at formal features and things to analyse. I'll probably grab some pages from Ghost World, Y: Last Man, Blankets and a few other comics I've got myself, but I'd quite like to give them a page or two from classic/iconic comics, e.g. a Batman (nothing too modern or experimental) and something like Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck (something by Carl Barks?).

Can I find the latter (iconic super hero page, classic Disney comic) on the web, legally, in okay to good quality? I'm not looking for scans of the entire books, just a page each, so we can look at things such as iconic characters, the use of frames etc. Since I live in Switzerland, it's not all that easy to get these in a library.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
Thirith on

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here's what's likely one of the most iconic pages from Batman's history, in super-huge size.
    208fchw.jpg

Here's one from The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, which I've always liked.
    34p0ugm.jpg

You could also try checking out this thread, where we show pages from comics we enjoy.

If you have any specific character requests, post them, and that'll probably help us dig stuff up. Really though, Google should get you what you need, you'll just have to comb through some garbage.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, you can search scans daily (current version), which arrange posts by character, series, writer, artist, and so-forth.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can't go wrong with Alex Toth Batman:

alex-toth-and-archie-goodwin-batman-death-flies-the-haunted-skies-page-002.jpg?w=647&h=1024

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, I'd recommend some Animal Man, if only because it's a solid introduction to metafictional themes that have become prominent in comic books since then.

0007wtgc

Issue #5, Coyote Gospel, and issues #22-#26 are especially good in that regard.

Also, Flex Mentallo (if you can find it).

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You should also grab at least one cover or page from superdickery.com just for first-day lols.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Another page I always liked (and the page that introduced the concept of Galactus as an eye-of-the-beholder force of nature):

galactuspovlk2.png

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Some pretty cool stuff - thanks, guys! Any further material would be much welcome, of course, but this will give me a good starting point.

@Robos A Go Go: you wouldn't happen to have a bigger scan of that one, would you?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Here's the page you requested, from ANIMAL MAN #23:

(spoiled for size)
    2ztdp2p.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    These are the two most iconic Superman pages that come to mind for me:

sms6a-1.jpg

ac775m-1.jpg

And basically any page from All-Satr Superman, which are in the first page of the awesome moments thread.

And this was always an iconic Spider-Man image for me:

asm50a.jpg

And this page from Justice League International is always iconic for not messing with Batman:

one-punch-kevin-maguire-justice-league.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This is a good Superman page from Superman: Secret Identity.
    smsi-03-11.jpg

It takes place after he finds out his wife is pregnant.

And I enjoy these pages from a Spider-Man Annual written by Matt Fraction.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nice ones! In a way it's a shame I don't have much time (or haven't chosen) to get into the iconic greats: it'd be cool for the class to get a feel for Superman to then read something like Red Son with them.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sure that Scans_Daily has the Spider-Man pages showing the death of Gwen stacy. It really is a highly significant point in the characters history and for a superhero girlfriend to be permanently killed off in the 1970s really was something unique. Spider-Man probably rivals Batman in terms of being an icon, I'd check that out.

Solar on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Couple that sprang to mind that haven't been touched in thread yet.

Well known Spider Man scene, re-used in movies and other mediums.
    SpiderMan_NoMore_comicScene.jpg

And this was always a nice Batman image, was from Dark Knight Returns series, and I had a poster of it too when I was wee.
    529777-drk_ngt2_large.jpg

Anyone able to find the Spidey lifting the rubble shot? that's pretty referenced too.

Sensational She-Hulk during the early issues had some good use of meta humor/breaking the 4th wall too.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man

Why is Pete not wearing socks in that scan

That has ruined that panel forever now.

Solar on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Man

I think it's implying something with the suit. Like he doesn't wear socks when he's in the suit. And he just...took off the suit right there, threw on his jammies, and walked home.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Man

glad I'm not the only one who thought that

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta