As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Hall of Mirrors [M&M]

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Sounds like I'm going to have to ice up all the way," Aaron says grimly, then pauses. "Do you know if Poppel's arsenal includes incendiaries?" Well done. I must say, you're developing some foresight.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "It's possible. They tend to change up their suits on a regular basis."

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "If there are no further questions, then we don't have much time." The lights turn back on and Jacques motions you all to follow him to the teleporter. "Gentlemen and Mademoiselle. This mission is of the highest importance. But do not take foolish risks. If you must do something young and foolish to complete the mission, then do so. But if you do not need to, then don't. " He pauses to take a breath. "Patton was a crude barbarian but an effective one. 'The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.' is what I wish you to keep in mind." And with that, you are all teleported into the warehouse that was noted on his map. You can hear the sound of combat outside. The chatter of automatic weapons, the hum of laser beams and the sounds of the wounded. The area around you is fairly clear.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I can't believe a few hours ago I was looking forward to doing homework, watching Glee and then maybe sneaking out to catch some muggers, Golden Agent muses. Shaken alert by the carnage outside, he draws himself up, mind racing.

"Those of you with better defenses should head out first," he says, "while the ranged attackers cover our advance. They use tech, so you magic guys - and girl - might have an edge here. If we can push our initial opening, I'll try and remote-hack their comms and give them some surprises. Above all, let's watch each other's backs."
    Using the Master Planner feat to give us a bonus in the upcoming battle. 1d20+3=22, for a bonus of +2 to attacks and skill checks for the first three rounds of combat, decreasing to a +1 on the fourth round and +0 thereafter.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maga starts striding confidently towards the warehouse doors. "Let's dispense some justice, shall we?"

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kneeling and say a quick prayer to his father, Likymnios stands and moves toward the door in quick practiced strides."Let us bring glory with our actions today. And if we fall, I expect to see you all on the fields of Elysium."

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    "Time to get my game face on," Aaron says grimly. "I may need it very soon." Mercury focuses, and Aaron begins to change. A single crystal in the middle of his heart turns his blood cold, then freezing, as it expands. Veins stiffen and turn solid as the chill races through them. The crystals forming his shield thicken and connect; air hisses out as they tighten and approach his skin, pushing the hairs flat. His heart finally stops, the blood a solid mass of ice; lungs struggle, his breath crackling within, then cease, a collection of inert sacs. His bones freeze, transforming the joints and cartilage into simple blocks. Aaron's brain spasms, then stills, as its connections become pure electricity. The shield reaches down and penetrates each pore and capillary; the detail is lost, they are no longer needed to maintain his health. There is no longer anything recognizable as human there, and it is unclear how his clothes have fared. His body continues to function, but not by the rules of normal biology. Aaron Heflin has become the Mountain King. "Right. Let's take them out," he growls, his voice like a cold wind stirring up slush.
    Alternate form activated, additional immunity, protection, healing, movement, and flight now available

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As you look outside, you can see the three Iron Legion members, peppering the warehouse with various attacks. Dr. Wagner and Dr. Poppel are engaging in a complex set of aerial maneuvers, trying their best to keep the soldiers in the warehouse from getting a lock on with their missiles. While Dr. Gröttrup is pounding on the wall of the warehouse, attempting to open up the wall, while ignoring the small arms fire of the guns.
    Roll for initiative.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maga silently reaches out to her sides with both hands, ebony snaplocks materializing in each of them.
    Initiative: 1d20+4=23

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Likymnios body tense into a throwing stance and prepares to see if he can knock down one of the flying men.
    1d20+17=19

Note the sheet I have on my computer says this should be +12, not +17 so I have a 14 initiative. Going to change the one in the ooc thread to match.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Aaron is still somewhat winded from his transformation, but Mountain King sees the villains and prepares to strike.
    1d20 + 2 = 7

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Golden Agent palms a pair of minibombs, setting them to trigger on impact. He blows a lungful of air out through pursed lips. "Here we go..."

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Loom rubs his hands together, creating a pair of sturdy gloves out of the same blue material as his shirt. Adjusting the gloves and taking a deep breath, he nods to everyone else. "Time to be superheroes."

desc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Infinitival Order:
    Elldren
    Likymnios
    Doctor Poppel: 17 D 6 F 12 W 13 T 12 R 8
    Golden Agent
    Doctor Wagner:12 D 12 F 10 W 8 T 6 R 10
    Mountain King
    Dr. Gröttrup: 7 D 8 F 10 W 9 T 8 R 7
    Loom

As you all look outside, you can see the Iron Legion continue to attempt to hammer at the building while the ground troops continue to valiantly hold them off. At appears you've caught them by surprise.
    Thus ladies and gentlemen, you've got a surprise round.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maga leaps through the doors, spinning and firing a gun at each of the two aerial members, hoping to catch them from an unexpected direction. After the locks strike, she casually tosses them aside, mid-jump. The spent guns dissolve in midair.
    Split attack at the two in the air: 1d20+8=26
    Damage is +5 against each

She smirks as she pirouettes to the ground.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maga's rounds hit against her foes. The shot against Dr. Wagner strikes his force field and with a boom it stops the round. Dr. Gröttrup isn't so lucky and the round hits a ringing blow against his armor. "Sie versuchen, uns Flanke!" He calls out. The troops notice the shot and let out a ringing cheer as they continue to try to hold him off.
    Wagner is fine. Grottrup takes a bruise.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Looking at the flying automatons Likymnios lets his spear fly at the airborne Dr. Poppel.
    1d20+5=9 Ugh, a miss.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Something to note. Jacob has used his Master Plan Feat. For this round and the next two, you all get +2 to attacks and skill checks. None of you has remembered this but I have taken it into account.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    She's weakened him. Perhaps you should concentrate on one at a time, and reduce their firepower? Not a bad plan. I guess I'll go with it. First thing, I think, is to slow him down. Mountain King aims carefully, watching Dr. Grottrup with unblinking crystalline orbs. Suddenly, he lashes out with a thunderous blast of ice and snow, coalescing around the villain into an icy prison.
    Attack 1d20 + 6 = 19
    Snare

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dr. Grottrup falls from the sky as the ice around his suit becomes more then the weight he was expecting.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    With a metallic whir, Golden Agent's exploding coin slices through the air, affixing to Doctor Poppel's armor and exploding with a low, tooth-vibrating whoom.
    1d20+10=15, plus another 2 for Master Planner equals 17 and a hit for 8 penetrating damage.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Another deafening boom as it hits the force field around Dr. Poppel. It doesn't appear to have caused damage but they've certainly noticed you.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Loom holds out his hands as if trying to "frame" Dr. Poppel as he flies about. He seems to be concentrating intently, although nothing visible seems to be happening.
    Ranged attack to hit. He needs to make a Fort save if I succeed.

1d20+5=14 edit: +2 master plan = 16

(do master plans stack? I need to use mine next time)

"Make a ranged attack roll to hit your target. If successful, the
    target makes a Fortitude saving throw or loses Toughness equal to your
    power rank; objects (and other targets without a Constitution score) automatically
    fail this save. Toughness may be reduced as low as –5 (–10 for
    objects). The target then makes a Toughness save (at the reduced score)
    against damage equal to your power rank. If the save fails by 20 or more,
    the target is atomized, leaving nothing behind. Damage and reductions in
    an object’s Toughness are Permanent until repaired. Targets with Con 1 or
    more regain 1 point of Toughness per round and recover from the damage
    normally."

desc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dr. Poppel howls with rage as his instruments report his force field shorting out and his armor growing brittle.
    Since his suit is an object, he fails his saving throw because he doesn't get one. Ouch.

Elldren
    Likymnios
    Doctor Poppel: 17 D 6 F 12 W 13 T -2 R 8
    Golden Agent
    Doctor Wagner:12 D 12 F 10 W 8 T 6 R 10
    Mountain King
    Dr. Gröttrup: 7 D 8 F 10 W 9 T 7 R 7
    Loom

All target numbers have been updated.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maga spreads her arms wide in a dramatic gesture, her cape fluttering as dozens of muskets appear from nowhere in a line spreading out from her, muzzles pointed at the sky. "Steady!"

She looks up at the howling Dr. Poppel, pointing her right index finger at him as the muskets arrayed around her level. "Aim!"

Maga shouts as she chops her hand at the Legionnaire. A flash of violet ripples across the line as the antiquated firearms erupt in a blistering fusillade. "FIRE!"
    Attack roll: 1d20+8=17 +2 = 19

Autofire 6 attack directed at Dr. Poppel. Should be a +9 final damage modifier

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As Maga's hits land, you can see holes appearing in his armor, circuits shorting as they are damaged.
    Stunned and Bruised.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Likymnios looks around the battlefield. Feeling that his allies have control of the air he begins to charge Dr. Gröttrup at full speed. He calls into the air for his spear and it appears in his hand just as his arm begins the stabbing motion with the full force of his charge behind him.
    Using the spears teleport so it returns to my hand. And then a charge attack on Dr.Grottrup.
    So charge attack(+2), master plan(+2) and my normal attack bonus(+5)
    1d20+5+2+2=15
    Its a hit though. So this is the spear not the strike so +8 piercing.

Also sorry for the delay had to look up charge attack and have been basically playing da2 all day like an idiot and spaced.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As Likymnios drives the spear home he lands a solid hit. But as he does, he feels the force of the blow rebounding against him as the spear is driven back, quivering in his hands. Dr. Gröttrup "Ja mein kind, kommen sie brechung ihr speer auf mir."
    Likymnios hit. A reflecting field. Which critted on him. Thankfuly Critical is a kind and merciful dice bot and let him make his toughness save by 4. I assure you that it will be taken out back and beaten for this. So Mazzyx, you get a bruise.

Dr. Poppel doesn't appear to be moving on the ground except for some twitching of it's robot's lower legs.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    "Oh, jeez! These guys have a lot of tricks up their sleeves." Seeing what happened to Likymnios, the Golden Agent turns his attentions to Gröttrup, winging a coin at him, which explodes with a thump.
    1d20+10=17 +2 = 19 so a hit for 8 penetrating damage.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There is a brief flash as Dr. Göttrup's reflection field attempts to stop the coin, but all of it's energy was expended stopping Likymnios's blow. The blast hits, knocking the Iron Nazi back a step.
    Göttrup takes a bruise.

Dr. Wagner notices the effect the team has had on his fellow scientists. "Sie werden uns Sie nicht aufhören, sich Kinder einmischend." He turns his palm towards the group and a bolt of purplish-white energy flashes out of it. "Leiden Sie!" As the wave hits you, each of you feels intense pain.
    Maga is dazed.
    Likymnios is stunned.
    Golden Agent is stunned.
    Loom is in pain but able to function.
    Mountain King is stunned.

"Vielleicht möchten Sie sehen, wie ein Krieger seine Waffe verwendet?" Dr. Göttrup claps his hands together and a massive zweihander appears in his hand. The air crackles around it as he brings it around in a mighty arc against Likymnios's armor. The two objects come in contact with a ringing blow as Likymnios staggers backwards but maintains his feet even in his stunned state.
    Likymnios is bruised again.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Loom flinches back in pain and surprise, then immediately lashes his right arm back out at Dr. Wagner.

Tiny creases and imperfections begin forming in the surface of Wagner's armor as the metal begins crumpling inward.
    Using transform 6 to create a snare, this time by crushing the armor.

Ranged attack - snare - vs Dr. Wagner (1d20+5+2=23)

It's not an anchored snare or anything like I was hoping for with the i-beams -- Snare mentions that you can still move half speed if it's not anchored, which seems more in line with what would be happening. Robo-armor kind of lumbering along slowly even if he fails his reflex save, cursing in german, sparks, whatever.

desc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Snare is an power itself. To use it you have to have the snare power. With create object or transform, there is some leeway but not as you describe it. What you're describing is transform as an attack.

Dr. Wagner curses as he feels the effects on his armor but then it stops as he glares down at Loom.
    Dr. W makes his fort save.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dr. Poppel notes that people appear to have left him alone. He attempts to make the most of this by shifting a little bit on the ground, allowing various ports to open up on his armor as he lets loose a fusillade of missiles, focused on Maga. One of them skews wildly, but judging by it's attempt to turn around it may make another pass. One lands at Maga's feet, plowing into the ground, the rut forming a kind of shaped charge that explodes outwards but away from Maga. But the last missile explodes as intended, throwing Maga back into the warehouse.
    Maga takes a bruise, gains cover and concealment.

Dr. Wagner says nothing but holds his palms outward and lets fly with a blast of energy aimed at the Golden Agent. But as he does, one of the soldiers in building runs out and takes a moment to fire an anti-tank missile at him, the explosion of the missile against his shield rocks him in the air, throwing his aim off as the blast levels an outbuilding instead.

Dr. Göttrup draws back his massive energy sword and brings it down again towards Likymnios. Without thinking Likymnios brings his spear in line, deflecting the blow as the sword takes a chunk out of the ground. As this happens you all feel the pain fading away.
    Dr. Wagner is unable to focus on keeping the pain going.
    Maga makes her save, is no longer dazed.
    Likymnios makes his save is no longer stunned.
    Golden Agent makes his save and is no longer stunned.
    Mountain King makes his save and is no longer stunned.
    Desc is up next, then normal order.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Loom glances at Maga and Likymnios. This is getting rapidly out of control.

With a thought, a latticework of steel beams sprouts from the ground and forms the basis for a reinforced concrete wall that begins to materialize between the intrepid heroes (minus Likymnios for now) and Poppel and Wagner.
    Thom, is there a roll for this? Or is it just an automatic temporary cover? It looks like a stone object is toughness 5 on the Damaging Objects chart (p. 166).

Create: concrete protective wall! (1d20+10=18)

desc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    desc wrote: »
    Loom glances at Maga and Likymnios. This is getting rapidly out of control.

With a thought, a latticework of steel beams sprouts from the ground and forms the basis for a reinforced concrete wall that begins to materialize between the intrepid heroes (minus Likymnios for now) and Poppel and Wagner.
    Thom, is there a roll for this? Or is it just an automatic temporary cover? It looks like a stone object is toughness 5 on the Damaging Objects chart (p. 166).

Create: concrete protective wall! (1d20+10=18)
    No roll needed, it's just a standard create object action. Elldren's turn.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maga stamps back out of the warehouse, a trickle of blood dripping down her face from under her beret. She glares at Loom.

"What are you doing? We can't attack them through that!"

She focuses and begins flying up by no readily visible means, a dim violet glow suffusing the air around her.

"You Nazi bastards! Do you think a few missiles will stop justice from reaching you? I'm still standing! Shoot me down if you can!"
    Trick check: 1d20+8=15
    Recovery check: 1d20+6=24

Recovers one bruise level, so back to normal.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Doctor Poppel's armor shudders for a moment, the rest of the Iron Legion seems to just ignore her words.
    Likymnios is up.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Looking up at his autamaton enemy, Likymnios grins. "Your technique is sloppy. You should practice more verse a true warrior." With that his spear lashes out at Doctor Göttrup with the full force of the demigod behind it.
    Strike attack-1d20+5=24 should have a +2 as well for the master plan, last round of that I think. 10 points of damage.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    With a great rending of steel, Likymnios's spear is driven through Dr. Göttrup's armor, a blasting of electric sparks as the armor appears to short out for a moment.
    Dr. Göttrup is stunned.

The remaining missile of Dr. Poppel's volley ricochets against the wall, and ends up striking the warehouse you all teleported in to at first. Striking a container of aviation fuel in the back, the side of the warehouse furthest from you blows up, setting off a chain reaction that causes the warehouse to fall away from the team. He unleashes another volley of missiles at the wall, managing to open up large holes in it, making it more open air then wall as you all are exposed again.
    Golden Agent is up.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    "Let's put him down," the Agent shouts, rushing out from cover and extending his paraluminum billy club with a flick of the wrist, then bringing it down hard on Dr. Göttrup's helmet.
    1d20+10+18, hit for 10 penetrating damage.

Jacobkosh on