Options

Nanananananana Metroid!

• Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SirToasty wrote:
    Since Ridley (or the X version of him) blew himself up in Fusion, it would make sense that Ridley is done for considering that Fusion is the last in the story arch. Maybe if Metroid Dread is ever made we can find out if he is gone for good or not.

edit: Oh wait you said in Zero, not Fusion. Never mind. I never played Zero.
    Why? Your hurting yourself by not playing it.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zero Mission really is a wonderful game. It's too easy on normal mode, in my opinion, though I still enjoyed playing through it, but hard mode actually demands some strategy at points. It's the better of the two GBA games, in my opinion.

Also, I should probably finish Hunters sometime. I didn't really like the single player, but having an unbeaten Metroid sitting around is annoying me.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What we're all forgetting is that according to Metroid Prime Pinball, Ridley was ultimately defeated by Samus launching multiple copies of herself into Chozo devices.

You know the sad part? I'm sure there's a plot analysis somewhere that actually tries to canonize Pinball. It probably also separates Metroid 1 and Zero Mission as two separate story events.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Kaputa wrote:
    Zero Mission really is a wonderful game. It's too easy on normal mode, in my opinion, though I still enjoyed playing through it, but hard mode actually demands some strategy at points. It's the better of the two GBA games, in my opinion.

Also, I should probably finish Hunters sometime. I didn't really like the single player, but having an unbeaten Metroid sitting around is annoying me.

I think everyone's got Hunters lying around somewhere, perpetually stuck at 75% completion when we all got bored of going back to the same planets a second time and fighting the same two bosses over again.

Zero Mission wins major points for being the first in the series to officially encourage sequence breaking (special endings for finishing the game with 15% or less completion, which is unbelievably hard and rewarding).

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Y'know, I really hope there isn't a key hunt in MP3.

Maybe a return of the Golden Statues, a la SM.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote:
    Kaputa wrote:

I think everyone's got Hunters lying around somewhere, perpetually stuck at 75% completion when we all got bored of going back to the same planets a second time and fighting the same two bosses over again.

Zero Mission wins major points for being the first in the series to officially encourage sequence breaking (special endings for finishing the game with 15% or less completion, which is unbelievably hard and rewarding).

Seriously? Thats awesome, I'll have to start playing it again. Zero mission also wins mucho awesome points for the second half of the second part of the game

[spoiler:c6cc6d76d7]You are being chased by leigons of Space Pirates in a manner that one would imagine the Benny Hill music playing as they chased Samus around the ship. After much toil and death as whimpy Samus, you grab the fully powered up suit again. That was possibly one of the most satisfying moments in gaming history, getting the suit back and chasing Space Pirates around to the awesome 'victory' music whilst screaming 'WHO'S KICKING WHO AROUND NOOOOWWWW?!'. It was fucking glorious. I'm sure by that point they were actually running away from me as I purpousfully chased then down, spamming lasers and supermissles with great abaddon in a fit of hate fueled revenge for all those times they chased me down and killed me.[/spoiler:c6cc6d76d7]

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote:
    Kaputa wrote:

Seriously? Thats awesome, I'll have to start playing it again. Zero mission also wins mucho awesome points for the second half of the second part of the game

[spoiler:020271a285]You are being chased by leigons of Space Pirates in a manner that one would imagine the Benny Hill music playing as they chased Samus around the ship. After much toil and death as whimpy Samus, you grab the fully powered up suit again. That was possibly one of the most satisfying moments in gaming history, getting the suit back and chasing Space Pirates around to the awesome 'victory' music whilst screaming 'WHO'S KICKING WHO AROUND NOOOOWWWW?!'. It was fucking glorious. I'm sure by that point they were actually running away from me as I purpousfully chased then down, spamming lasers and supermissles with great abaddon in a fit of hate fueled revenge for all those times they chased me down and killed me.[/spoiler:020271a285]
    My god, was that great.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zero Mission is definitely my favorite Metroid game but that may change once I finally get to play Super Metroid.

I only played Metroid once or twice as a kid so it's painful to try to play it now.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Every Monday I check the Virtual Console hoping they have Super Metroid up.

It's the only Metroid game I don't have. I even have Metroid Prime Pinball. Because I love Metroid so much without even having played 'the best one,' I'm really looking forward to it.

I think of the ones I've played so far, I liked Zero Mission the best, and the aforementioned "get your suit back and take revenge on the space pirates" is indeed amazing.

As for which one I like the least - gotta be either Metroid Prime 2 or Metroid Prime Hunters. It's weird, because I loved Metroid Prime, but couldn't get into Metroid Prime 2 at all (I still beat it, but it was thoroughly unsatisfying, and Dark Samus is nowhere near as threatening as SA-X). It was probably a combination of: boring environments (light world = all brown, dark world = all purple), enemies that just have ridiculous amounts of health (I should not have to use multiple charge shots to kill the Ing-infested versions of those damn little bug things at the beginning of the game), the ammo system (which is fine in theory), and the key backtracking thing, which was - for whatever reason - way more boring than the artifact hunt in Metroid Prime. Metroid Prime 2 had some really epic boss fights (that giant fucking security robot comes to mind), though, so I guess it kind of balances out, and I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime 3 regardless.

I kind of wish they would go ahead and make Metroid 5 already, though.

Agem on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote:
    Kaputa wrote:

62% here, I guess I need to go back and finish a world.

From what I've heard, you need a maximum of four missiles to beat the game in the American version, in order to get past a single spot in the mothership where the blocks respawn. In the European version, they changed it so they stay destroyed, letting you beat it with just two missiles.

jothki on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, I 100%'d Metroid Prime Hunters.

I... don't remember if anything different even happened. I think I got a little symbol on my Hunter's License or something.

I 99%'d Metroid Prime 2, ultimately realizing I could not 100% the game because I missed a one-time scan near the beginning of the game. Couldn't bring myself to play through it again.

Agem on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zero Mission is definitely my favorite Metroid game but that may change once I finally get to play Super Metroid.

I only played Metroid once or twice as a kid so it's painful to try to play it now.

Well, that's like saying Minish Cap is the greatest Zelda. :P

I LOVE Minish Cap, but really, it wouldn't even exist if it weren't for ALttP. See what I did there?

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote:

I LOVE Minish Cap, but really, it wouldn't even exist if it weren't for ALttP. See what I did there?
    I do see what you did there, but since my SNES AC adapter is MIA I get to wait until Super Metroid hits the VC to finally experience. I know it's going to be a great game.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote:

I do see what you did there, but since my SNES AC adapter is MIA I get to wait until Super Metroid hits the VC to finally experience. I know it's going to be a great game.

You'll love it, the SNES version takes the cake for metroid kicking ass.

The NES version is great as well, but one thing still boggles my mind.

I finished it with all the items, yet i NEVER found the end of norfair. I swear to god you can keep bombing walls and wandering around into oblivion there.

crash5s on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Agem wrote:

I 99%'d Metroid Prime 2, ultimately realizing I could not 100% the game because I missed a one-time scan near the beginning of the game. Couldn't bring myself to play through it again.

I did that too, but I stopped at 84% when I realised I couldn't make it all.

What was the 100% ending anway?

Blake T on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blaket wrote:
    Agem wrote:

[spoiler:7af2e46999]After Samus walks away from the Luminoths, she unsuits (well, 'transforms' out, into her emergency 'zero' suit). I was disappointed that the MP guys had to adhere to the Zero Mission character design-- she looked so much more awesome in the first Prime. :([/spoiler:7af2e46999]

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SilverWind wrote:
    Blaket wrote:
    Agem wrote:

[spoiler:fb4503fc19]After Samus walks away from the Luminoths, she unsuits (well, 'transforms' out, into her emergency 'zero' suit). I was disappointed that the MP guys had to adhere to the Zero Mission character design-- she looked so much more awesome in the first Prime. :([/spoiler:fb4503fc19]

[spoiler:fb4503fc19]So what she ends up in her fusion suit, or she looks like she did in Fusion and not in prime?, Cause the character model they used in Prime for GC graphics it was fucking amazing.[/spoiler:fb4503fc19]

Blake T on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Samus at the end of Echoes, just the face

http://thisischris.com/feature/2005/img/Samus%20008%20copy.jpg

She looks like a horse.

Also, about the endings:

[spoiler:61f2bf845b]The 75% or better is her getting out of her suit, the 100% ending is seeing Metroid Prime reforming in outer space.[/spoiler:61f2bf845b]

Lemming on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, I'm getting frustrated with Prime. I'm at this part where I have to fight these space pirates. I fight them in consecutive groups. Each group is a different color; it starts with Purple, then Blue, then Yellow, iirc. These guys are a bitch, and rockets don't hurt them. I figure they're only vulnerable to the weapon of the same color, so the Wave gun on the purples, the Ice beam on the blues, the regular megabuster on the Yellow guys. It seems to kill them, but I lose a lot of health, and it's quite a gauntlet of these guys with no Save Point or in-between enemies to refill my health with.

The fuck man. Is there an easy way to kill these fuckers, or do I have to just try harder not to take damage when fighting them? Such a pain in the ass.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    slash000 wrote:
    So, I'm getting frustrated with Prime. I'm at this part where I have to fight these space pirates. I fight them in consecutive groups. Each group is a different color; it starts with Purple, then Blue, then Yellow, iirc. These guys are a bitch, and rockets don't hurt them. I figure they're only vulnerable to the weapon of the same color, so the Wave gun on the purples, the Ice beam on the blues, the regular megabuster on the Yellow guys. It seems to kill them, but I lose a lot of health, and it's quite a gauntlet of these guys with no Save Point or in-between enemies to refill my health with.

The fuck man. Is there an easy way to kill these fuckers, or do I have to just try harder not to take damage when fighting them? Such a pain in the ass.
    Yeah, you just have to fight your way through. That part is nasty. Once you get the hang of it though, you'll probably love it.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Aaah the Phazon Mines. Don't worry slash, it gets "better" when you get closer to the end of that area.

Unfortunately you just have to play this part like it's Quake II and strafe behind those destructable pipes. Don't even bother attacking them unless it's a fully charged shot.

Do note that you can still use missiles, just not directly. The charge beam/missile combination attacks completely destroy these guys.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Awesome tips, guys. You really know your Prime!

I'll get to strafing and charging shots next time I load up my game. I'm making it my mission to get past that part on my next gaming session.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    slash000 wrote:

Easy and mega fun.

Yellow - Super Rockets ftw

White - Ice Beam charge to freeze then rocket for the shatter awesome win.

Purple Fully charge shot, this will electify them and make them spasm, wash rinse and repeat.

Plus stuff about strafing.

Edit: Also right at the begining for that area, as you first open the doors to jump into the tunnel, if my memory serves me correctly, the wall to the left can be blown open with a Super Rocket or a Super Bomb for a missile upgrade.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Awesome, that helps a bunch Blaket! :^:

slash000 on
  • Options
    EthelredEthelred Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know, for all the criticism Metroid Prime 2: Echoes gets, I think I really liked the story of it better than Metroid Prime. It actually felt like I had a purpose other than "stop the space pirates, they're up to no good." I'll agree that the keyhunts were annoying, the light and dark worlds a bit cliche, and the ammo system was a departure, but in storytelling I think it was pretty damned good. I loved getting the new translator files and trying to find more lore about Aether's past and trying to piece together where I was and how it came to be. Prime 1 had this, but I don't think it was done as well. I hope that Corruption brings the Prime story to a good conclusion.

My only other problem with Echoes was that all of the places sort of looked the same. Light Aether was just varying degrees of wasteland, while Dark Aether was... well, dark. And purple. The [spoiler:35a0f9fc91]Light Suit[/spoiler:35a0f9fc91] looked amazing, though.

Ethelred on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ethelred wrote:
    You know, for all the criticism Metroid Prime 2: Echoes gets, I think I really liked the story of it better than Metroid Prime. It actually felt like I had a purpose other than "stop the space pirates, they're up to no good." I'll agree that the keyhunts were annoying, the light and dark worlds a bit cliche, and the ammo system was a departure, but in storytelling I think it was pretty damned good. I loved getting the new translator files and trying to find more lore about Aether's past and trying to piece together where I was and how it came to be. Prime 1 had this, but I don't think it was done as well. I hope that Corruption brings the Prime story to a good conclusion.

I have to dissagree. Prime had the way superior story. The stories of the Pirates messing around with the metroids, their encounters with Samus (and the hillarious attempts to mimic the morph ball ability) The Chozo's story to save their world, it was all brilliant but you really had to dig for it.

The level design in Echo's was rather uninspired.

Edit the other thing about Echo's that bothered me were the visors. Looking at the Dark(??) visor so you could target things, alot of the things just looked ugly and it was hard to negotiate, The X-ray visor in Prime was gorgeous. You saw the bones in samus' hand.

Also the Echo Visor had awesome potential but it wasn't used properly, you could only target certain invisible noisey things. It would of been cool if you could target noisey things when they moved or were attacking of something.

Blake T on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Every Monday I check the Virtual Console hoping they have Super Metroid up.

It's the only Metroid game I don't have. I even have Metroid Prime Pinball. Because I love Metroid so much without even having played 'the best one,' I'm really looking forward to it.

I think of the ones I've played so far, I liked Zero Mission the best, and the aforementioned "get your suit back and take revenge on the space pirates" is indeed amazing.

As for which one I like the least - gotta be either Metroid Prime 2 or Metroid Prime Hunters. It's weird, because I loved Metroid Prime, but couldn't get into Metroid Prime 2 at all (I still beat it, but it was thoroughly unsatisfying, and Dark Samus is nowhere near as threatening as SA-X). It was probably a combination of: boring environments (light world = all brown, dark world = all purple), enemies that just have ridiculous amounts of health (I should not have to use multiple charge shots to kill the Ing-infested versions of those damn little bug things at the beginning of the game), the ammo system (which is fine in theory), and the key backtracking thing, which was - for whatever reason - way more boring than the artifact hunt in Metroid Prime. Metroid Prime 2 had some really epic boss fights (that giant fucking security robot comes to mind), though, so I guess it kind of balances out, and I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime 3 regardless.

I kind of wish they would go ahead and make Metroid 5 already, though.
    589573_20041001_screen001.jpg
    589573_20041111_screen004.jpg
    ?

Not that you don't have reasonable complaints there, but Sanctuary Fortress was fuckin' awesome. I liked Prime 2 a lot, though (like everyone else) not as much as 1.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In answer to question four, the GBA Prince of Persia is definitely modeled on Metroid and is pretty neat.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Who here is excited for the return of the combo beams in MP3?

Magus` on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    3. Pretty damn. Super and II are rare, and expensive. Super has never been rereleased in any way, so with neither a Wii (for the upcoming [but undated] VC release) nor SNES, you're looking towards the "e" word. Expect to pay quite a bit for II, if you can find it. I, of course, is emulated on both Prime and Zero.
    Neither Super Metroid or Metroid 2 really appear that rare to me. I see SM at used game stores or on EBay for $10 - $20 usually. Metroid 2 goes for even cheaper on EBay. If you've got the equipment and really want to play them, they're not hard to find or expensive.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Magus` wrote:
    Who here is excited for the return of the combo beams in MP3?
    Yes, if only for the fact that we won't need to keep switching beams to open doors. :wink:

Elendil on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote:
    YesNoMu wrote:
    3. Pretty damn. Super and II are rare, and expensive. Super has never been rereleased in any way, so with neither a Wii (for the upcoming [but undated] VC release) nor SNES, you're looking towards the "e" word. Expect to pay quite a bit for II, if you can find it. I, of course, is emulated on both Prime and Zero.
    Neither Super Metroid or Metroid 2 really appear that rare to me. I see SM at used game stores or on EBay for $10 - $20 usually. Metroid 2 goes for even cheaper on EBay. If you've got the equipment and really want to play them, they're not hard to find or expensive.
    Checking out eBay, you're absolutely right. I had been going off my EBStop experience, which was pretty bad.

So, yeah. Metroid II is pretty cheap. Hotlead will still have to pick up an SNES or Wii for Super, though.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I scored my Super Metroid at a flea market for 5 bucks. I had previously seen it at an EB for like 35 dollars or something.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've never seen SM "in the wild"

Metroid II is pretty easy to find, though.

I once score Metroid Fusion used for 10 bucks, with the box, manual, everything. This is when you could still find it new..

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blaket wrote:
    SilverWind wrote:
    Blaket wrote:
    Agem wrote:

[spoiler:6ce447cfeb]After Samus walks away from the Luminoths, she unsuits (well, 'transforms' out, into her emergency 'zero' suit). I was disappointed that the MP guys had to adhere to the Zero Mission character design-- she looked so much more awesome in the first Prime. :([/spoiler:6ce447cfeb]

[spoiler:6ce447cfeb]So what she ends up in her fusion suit, or she looks like she did in Fusion and not in prime?, Cause the character model they used in Prime for GC graphics it was fucking amazing.[/spoiler:6ce447cfeb]

The hell are you guys talking about? You don't have to scan everything to get 100%. You just have to collect all of the upgrades.

Also, that is not the 100% ending. That is the like, 75% ending.

The 100% ending...

[spoiler:6ce447cfeb]After Samus leaves the planet, the camera pans out into space... Bits of Phazon floating around suddenly coalesce, and Dark Samus is reborn.[/spoiler:6ce447cfeb]

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was playing SM on my SNES... And I just got stuck in the first major planet. I have no idea of where to go... Kinda annoying.

I do love MP1 though.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was playing SM on my SNES... And I just got stuck in the first major planet. I have no idea of where to go... Kinda annoying.

I do love MP1 though.

...We will now all point and laugh.

Hahahahahahaha.

Just go everywhere you can go at the moment. You'll find where you need to go sooner or later.

[spoiler:d29fb1133f]Look for the Tourian escape shaft: if you've played the original Metroid, you know what I'm talking about.[/spoiler:d29fb1133f]

Unless you passed that point. In which case, tell me where you are, and I'll let you know where you need to head next.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zero Mission is a better game than Super Metroid.

Yeah, I went there.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lork wrote:
    Zero Mission is a better game than Super Metroid.

Yeah, I went there.

....Wait what?!

How? Super Metroid was actually a bit of a challenge.

Zero Mission was so hilariously easy you actually had to impose challenges on yourself, such as "getting no more than 5 energy tanks" or something.

Oh, and Ridley was a pushover in Zero Mission.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    All the world in one girl. Ocremix Super Metroid song. It's a great way to start off playing Prime1. Rain on your visor.

I wish Nintendo would release some patch to let us use a Wii Remote for these two games. Maybe when they release the third game...
    wishful thinking

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.