Options

Nanananananana Metroid!

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Magus` wrote:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/Images/downloads/movies/2006/e3/nintendo/metroid-1.mp4

Direct link to the video for those who want to see it.
    404 ERROR

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Weird.

http://www.gameinformer.com/FeaturedNews/Story/E32006/GAMES/F06.0512.0018.00543.htm

That's the page right before it. Click 'Media' then the first movie (it's 1 minute long).

Magus` on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I still like Super Metroid best, though I gotta admit that at least part of that might be rose-colored glasses.

Though it wins the hizz-ouse solely for two things: the Ridley music and the Maridia music ("Noumenon" from Relics of the Chozo is the best damn relaaaax music ever and I'll shoot anyone who says otherwise).

(PS also listen to "Escaping Retribution" from Relics of the Chozo)

(PPS In fact just listen to Relics of the Chozo entirely damn it)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    OK, so the gauntlet of different-colored Space Pirates in Phazon Mines really isn't that hard as long as you take cover and only use charged-up shots.

So, again, thanks for the tips guys!

Also, Zero Mission has awesome music too. But perhaps I enjoy it because it's remixed music from the first game, and it just works so well, plus the nostalgic factor.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zero Mission better than Super? Isn't it kind of irrelevant?

...I mean, Metroid 2 is by far the best.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The best part of Metroid Prime 3?

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060606064055545.jpg

Dentistry.

Eat laser, gingivitis!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In answer to question four, the GBA Prince of Persia is definitely modeled on Metroid and is pretty neat.

Hmmm... Tell me more.

I recently found a used copy of ZM and it was a lot easier than I expected, although I've only gone through once.

I loved the noir feel in Fusion and it's probably my most played Metriod.

After playing through Prime a couple times and playing at Prime 2, I think the 2d Metriods are superior.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fusion was the first Metroid game I played through (I got really, really lost trying to play SM), and while I understand many people hated the linearity and Adam, I needed that direction and that hand holding to get into the Metroid universe for the first time. Plus Adam made me cry. :cry:

Then, that pushed me to playing Prime, then Super Metroid (and then further crying at the baby metroid--it got to me so badly I, uh, lost against Mother Brain), then everything except for Metroid 2. Still waiting for a remake before I attempt it.

Really, really looking forward to Prime 3.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Eyes5 wrote:
    I like Metroid Fusion the best out of all the Metroids. To explain why, let me repost what I said in the "most memorable gaming moments" thread. Spoiler warning for Fusion and all that.
    Eyes5 wrote:
    Metroid Fusion. That game blew me away so many times and made a hardcore Metroid fan out of me.

Every single time the SA-X shows up is either a "dun dun DUNN" moment or an "Oh shi-" moment.
    1) Okay, so I've established that the X have gotten into the breeding grounds, so I take an elevator down to check it out. *boom* What the, is... is that Samus? Why is she in her old suit? Why... *closeup* Ah. Ok. Evil. *boom* ...and... powerful!
    2) I just killed a boss, looking for a save point, hey, what's the ominous music and metallic footsteps? Oh lookie, it's the SA-X. Can I take it on? You bet I can! *pew pe-* *Schzzing!* ...Oh, I'm dead.
    2) Hmm, a dead end. I'm going to drop a bunch of bombs on the floor to see if anything is breakable. Hmm, all breakable by power bombs, eh? I'll have to come here later. Wait, what's this small passageway made entirely out of power bomb blocks? Let's roll into a ball and explore. Hmm, dead end OH CRAP IT'S SA-X I hope it doesn't see me hiding here OH CRAP IT DROPPED A POWER BOMB don't panic don't panic I'm exposed but it's moving on, let's follow it slowly OH CRAP I FELL THROUGH THE FLOOR no problem, I caught an edge, but I think I'll climb to safer ground OH CRAP I FELL THROUGH ANOTHER FLOOR.
    3) Walking in ARC... hm? I think I hear a door open behind me. Um, *runs* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
    4) Rolling as a ball into the plant-infested TRO. Oh, I fell through a floor. Ow, what did I hit? Oh. *runs* AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH *hides in a little corner so close to the SA-X that it's a miracle it doesn't hear my heartbeat.*
    And then there are all the subtle signs, mostly in the from of senseless carnage, which is the SA-X's way of saying "I was here. I am close. I bet you're peeing your pants, girl."

Other points of interest.
    -Seeing the frozen Ridley
    -When the computer, from out of nowhere, starts talking to some strange person. Ohes noes, there's a conspiracy against Samus!
    -Getting the diffusion missiles seemingly by accident because the computer never goads you to get it and you don't know why you have it until later.
    -Lala la, what a nice empty glass-covered area in ARC. The last time I was here, it was relaxing and HOLY SHI- WHAT IS THAT GIGANTIC SHADOW THAT'S SHAKING THE ENTIRE ROOM
    -Oh phew, I'm glad I'm away from that shadow and now I ca- "WARNING. EMERGENCY IN SECTOR PYR."
    -Seeing metroids! So cute! love
    -THERE ARE 10 SA-X!?!

(Hey Campion, did you ever get that PM I sent you?)
    (Hey Magus, you owe me a picture. :wink: )
    Yeah, Metroid Fusion was awesome. Fuck the haters.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where they take things in Metroid V. I assume it's going to have something to do with the SA-Xs. (Although after Dark Samus, that feels like kind of a repeat performance.)

Man of the Waves: The GBA Prince of Persia is a platformer that has the same basic map system as Metroid. There is a good bit more linearality than in Metroid, but there's also a lot of backtracking, and a lot of gaining upgrades that let you go places you couldn't before. It has a lot of the stuff you'd expect from playing the console game. There are a few annoying quirks in the game (for instance, there's this "invisibility sand" you need to use in certain parts that actually makes your player almost invisible to you, and the fact that the boss of every level is the same creature, just with new abilities), but I think it's worth it.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SilverWind wrote:
    Fusion was the first Metroid game I played through (I got really, really lost trying to play SM), and while I understand many people hated the linearity and Adam, I needed that direction and that hand holding to get into the Metroid universe for the first time. Plus Adam made me cry. :cry:

Then, that pushed me to playing Prime, then Super Metroid (and then further crying at the baby metroid--it got to me so badly I, uh, lost against Mother Brain), then everything except for Metroid 2. Still waiting for a remake before I attempt it.

The way you got into Metroid is so exactly like the way that I did that it's a bit eerie.

Oh Adam. Oh Hatchling. :cry:

Actually, one of the things I find extremely potent about Fusion is the linearity which allows for a more explicit and complex plot compared to all the other games. I'm strange in that I play Metroid primarily for its plot.

Eyes5 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Eyes5 wrote:
    SilverWind wrote:

The way you got into Metroid is so exactly like the way that I did that it's a bit eerie.

Actually, one of the things I find extremely potent about Fusion is the linearity which allows for a more explicit and complex plot compared to all the other games. I'm strange in that I play Metroid primarily for its plot.

:shock:
    I... I play it for the exact same reason.
    You... you... me... wha!?

[spoiler:2d6cff20d3]<3 u[/spoiler:2d6cff20d3]

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    SilverWind wrote:
    Eyes5 wrote:
    SilverWind wrote:

[spoiler:5fab96b593]<3 u[/spoiler:5fab96b593]
    Y'know what? As I browse and lurk the forums, it seems like every time I read a post by you, it is about something that I have already done/agree with. You're even female (you are, right?) and live in Canada! How do we know we're not the same person??

Except we differ in one critical area. I have a metroid hatchling. Hahahaha.

Eyes5 on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just want to state here that, although Fusion is maybe not my favourite metroid game, it's for sure the game I've been most frequently playing through (out of all games).

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fusion was awesome, but holy fuck, I'd wished they'd have at least loosened the leash.

Elendil on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That new MP3 vid is crazy. I already wanted it bad, but damn.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Best or whatever Metroid aside, to me nothing compares to the end of Super Metroid.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Crashmo wrote:
    Best or whatever Metroid aside, to me nothing compares to the end of Super Metroid.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Fusion was awesome, but holy fuck, I'd wished they'd have at least loosened the leash.

Were Fusion and Zero Mission made by the same people? If so, they probably took that kind of feedback into account for their next game, at least.

jothki on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Crashmo wrote:

RockinX on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Every time these threads come along I give SM (the only Metroid I haven't finished) another try. Usually I pick it up from the beginning and get about an hour or two into the game before getting distracted. This time I picked up my save game from this past summer, and after about a half hour of wandering around lost having no idea where I was going, I found and defeated Kraid. Maybe this time I'll finally make it through...

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I still haven't finished the original Metroid, but I doubt I ever will. I'm sure it was great when it was released, but it really hasn't aged well at all. I could live with drawing my own maps, and the cut-and-paste corridors weren't game breaking, but the damn "restart with 30 life and empty E tanks" mechanic was just to much for me. I don't think I've ever made it past Kraid.
    slash000 wrote:
    Also, Zero Mission has awesome music too. But perhaps I enjoy it because it's remixed music from the first game, and it just works so well, plus the nostalgic factor.
    I dunno, I think it's just excellent music. Kraid's Chamber and Norfair especially have really damn awesome music.

Fusion's soundtrack was one of the lesser ones in the series, in my opinion. None of the tunes have stayed in my memory, and I've played it through twice. I also dislike how the entire space station has the same music after you reach a certain point in the game (right near the end, I think), which makes trying to find 100% of the items less fun.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm a bit Metroid fan, playing the original and Super around the same time (when Super came out, I played both), but even though the nostalgia is strong, Metroid Prime remains my favorite Metroid game. Hell, it's easily one of my top 5 games, period.

Something about the world MP takes place on...it's just so organic, so realistic. The alone absorbed me into a game like few others could.

Graviija on
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Magus` wrote:
    Weird.

http://www.gameinformer.com/FeaturedNews/Story/E32006/GAMES/F06.0512.0018.00543.htm

That's the page right before it. Click 'Media' then the first movie (it's 1 minute long).

that video was awesome.

Gino on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    jothki wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Were Fusion and Zero Mission made by the same people? If so, they probably took that kind of feedback into account for their next game, at least.
    Fusion was by Intelligent Systems. Zero Mission was by NST1, I think.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, let me give my ranking of the Metroids. I don't have anything better to do anyway...

1) Super Metroid
    Zero Mission (tie) (Can't choose one over the other)
    3) Prime 2 Echoes (Guess I prefer the more outlandish setting and equipment when compared to Prime 1)
    4) Fusion (Too linear, but like Echoes, a nice twist to the formula)
    5) Metroid II (Love the Metroid mutations, but I kept getting lost)
    6) Prime (Decent enough game, but it just didn't enthrall me enough)
    7) Metroid (*Points to what Kaputa said a few posts ago*)

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    jothki wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

They were both directed by Yoshio Sakamoto, who also directed, produced, oversaw, or somethinged all the other Metroid games except Metroid 2.

I have a source that says SPD 1 made Zero Mission. What does that stand for anyways? And what does NST1 stand for?

Eyes5 on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    NST = Nintendo Software Technology

The 1? Team 1 or Production Group #1 or something.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Eyes5 wrote:
    jothki wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

They were both directed by Yoshio Sakamoto, who also directed, produced, oversaw, or somethinged all the other Metroid games except Metroid 2.

I have a source that says SPD 1 made Zero Mission. What does that stand for anyways? And what does NST1 stand for?

NST1 = Nintendo Software Technology.

Don't know about SPD though.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Does anyone remember how to beat Ridley in Super Metroid?

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I want to finish Fusion again. I got a used copy many months ago. I played about 1/3 of the way into it, then the next day about another third, then my saves got deleted. I restarted and tried again. Got really far, saved, picked it up again, got to the Nightmare, saved before him, reloaded and the saves were gone again. One day I will do a marathon and play the whole thing in one run through. I am so sick of the beginning of the game. I've played it so much.

Also, about the bonus features with Prime and Fusion. Was anyone else disappointed with playing Prime with the Fusion suit? I thought it would be awesome until I found out that the arm cannon was exactly the same. I expected it to be totally different. Hell, there is a picture in the gallery with the Fusion gun and all it's transformations. I was surprised they couldn't throw in a different model for the gun.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    with love [spoiler:9952b7d3d8]and kisses[/spoiler:9952b7d3d8]

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My first game in the series was Metroid Prime. Then I played 2, then Fusion and Zero.

I think I still like Prime the best. Prime 2 is a very close second.

Lemming on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Try shooting him.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Eyes5 wrote:
    SilverWind wrote:
    Eyes5 wrote:
    SilverWind wrote:

[spoiler:2e6218ce30]<3 u[/spoiler:2e6218ce30]
    Y'know what? As I browse and lurk the forums, it seems like every time I read a post by you, it is about something that I have already done/agree with. You're even female (you are, right?) and live in Canada! How do we know we're not the same person??

Except we differ in one critical area. I have a metroid hatchling. Hahahaha.

Yep, I'm female and in Canada. Also, if that's you in the picture, also asian. D: Oh my... weird stuff.

RAA METROID HATCHLING!

Your hat is awesome. <3

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Try shooting him.
    If it's the same as in fusion, but charge shots should be more powerful than missiles.

Pooch on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pooch wrote:

Try shooting him.
    If it's the same as in fusion, but charge shots should be more powerful than missiles.

It's the same in every goddamn 2D Metroid to date.

Shoot him until he keels over and dies

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm this close to going back for a fresh start with Prime 2. I quit in the middle of it almost 2 years ago, and it's been sitting on my shelf since.
    I'm among you few who play the Metroid games for their story, and am considering making the Prime story fresh in my mind by totally replaying Prime. And also Fusion possibly, I've never had both games completed at the same time and want to see the Fusion suit in Prime so hard.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm this close to going back for a fresh start with Prime 2. I quit in the middle of it almost 2 years ago, and it's been sitting on my shelf since.
    I'm among you few who play the Metroid games for their story, and am considering making the Prime story fresh in my mind by totally replaying Prime. And also Fusion possibly, I've never had both games completed at the same time and want to see the Fusion suit in Prime so hard.
    I would consider replaying the game just to fight Quadraxis, which is very late in the game.

edit: Has anyone seen a Ridley action figure or figurine? I would die for one.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Not too long ago, I replayed Prime 1, and immediately after that I replayed Prime 2.

Prime 2 was 10 times better than I remembered it being.

Don't know if that has anything to do with having just finished Prime 1 before picking it up again. I was definitely in the groove, though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I tend to waver on the Prime vs. Prime 2 issue. On the one hand, Prime 2 is awesome. On the other, Prime is awesome.

Elendil on