Options

Nanananananana Metroid!

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    I tend to waver on the Prime vs. Prime 2 issue. On the one hand, Prime 2 is awesome. On the other, Prime is awesome.
    Prime 2 has better boss battles, in my opinion, but other than that I think I like Prime 1 more. They're both extremely excellent, though. What I waver on is the music, I can never decide which soundtrack I like more. I think I usually decide on Prime 1's, due to Phendrana Drifts and the underwater space station (my favorite in the game).

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Prime 1 has an update of Lower Norfair from SM and Prime 2 has an update of Maridia, also from SM.

I like me some Lower Norfair.

http://metroidmetal.com/midi/supermetroid_lowernorfair.mid
    http://metroidmetal.com/metroid_mp3/sm/supermetroid_lowernorfair.mp3

Magus` on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    *gulp*

I didn't like Metroid...Prime. Love the 2D's(I get lost in Fusion. Yeah, yeah, I know, I must be stupid. I can beat Zero without a problem but Fusion is im-fucking-possible for me), but I can't stand Prime. The controls is what pisses me off. And scanning. And backtracking.
    I'm gonna give Prime 3 a shot. They can't fuck up the controls for that.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Backtracking bothers you in a Metroid game?

That's like hating Mario cause it has platforming.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Magus` wrote:
    Backtracking bothers you in a Metroid game?

That's like hating Mario cause it has platforming.
    It's the backtracking in Prime. Maybe because there isn't as far to go in the 2D's, that's why I don't mind it.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Well, in my experience, even when you have to backtrack in MP it is cut down severly due to your new abilities. Like a room that took 5 minutes to pass before now only takes 20 seconds cause you have double jump or some shit.

Magus` on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I need to play Prime 1 again.

I just realized that the games are worth re-playing for two boss battles alone. Prime 1 has Meta Ridley, Prime 2 has Quadraxis. Both so excellent.

And the Meta-Ridley music!<3

SirToasty on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

[spoiler:7732914bd1]Am I the only one that thought this was some sort of Katamari/Metroid hybrid thread?[/spoiler:7732914bd1]

:|

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I thought that too, Zero.

The backtracking in the first Metroid Prime didn't bother me too much, but the second game's is godawful.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I want a new 2D Metroid on the DS, goddamnit!

One that actually attempts to top Super Metroid and doesn't have any hand holding.

What the fuck happened to Metroid Dread?

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've been on a Metroid kick lately. I started up Super Metroid, then began playing Zero Mission when away from the TV, then put in Prime, then started Fusion when ZM ended, then went through Fusion again to get more than like 60% of the items.

[spoiler:e2c421b762]I forgot that they fucking lock you in once you make your way to the final showdown. Although now that I've really explored, I'm wondering if you can't actually leave that main area by one of the non-elevator exits.[/spoiler:e2c421b762]

And now I'm playing Metroid 2 (and this time I swear I'll finish it).

So with all of this being fairly fresh in my mind, I've noticed a few things.

1) The Varia suit is awesome, and almost all other suits are not nearly as awesome.

2) Not having a spider ball and or grapple beam in every game is a gross oversight. Even Castlevania should have a spider ball.

3) Nintendo never ever should have made Space Pirates the way they are, because now we have to deal with them in more realistic settings, and the problems that crab-clawed bugmen would have in these worlds seem insurmountable.

4) The more we learn about the Chozo, the more I like them, but also the more the word "contrived" comes to mind. I mean, is the fate of our universe really all hinging on a race of birdmen who made space-jellyfish to stop their las plagas problem and the Space Pirates who want to use those jellyfish to Rule The Universeâ„¢? Ok, but all of these forces coming together almost every time is miraculous. At some point the pirates need to just take some metroids, go off someplace where the Chozo never dug their dumb caves, and set up shop. Samus will be around eventually, they hit her with a blunt object, she loses all her suit's abilities and they shoot her for 99HP and she dies forever.

5) Ridely doesn't have to make sense, and the information revealing him as the leader of the Space Pirates doesn't have to be true. I personally don't give a good god damn what he is, all I know is that every time I see him, I'm happy and scared.

6) Making Metroids evolve was dumb. I appreciate the attempt to make the feared creature nothing more than the larval stage of the true terror, but they work really quite well in their original form. Phazon radiation be damned. Metroids are one of those "OH SHIT" creatures from video games for me. Like the Medusa Heads in Castlevania, or Lakitu (the cloud guy) from Super Mario Brothers, whenever they show up, I know that that shit is about to get ugly.

7) Scanning in Prime to get the story was a genius move. It's there if you want it, and just a part of the scenery if you don't.

8 ) I hope they don't ever actually make a Metroid movie unless they embrace the fact that it's mostly going to be about one person running through caves while not talking. Maybe a tangent, but with game movies, I really wish they wouldn't try to re-write the game in movie language, but just put on the screen what people do in the game. We don't need a new experience, just the enjoyment of seing on film with "real" people the games we like; we're the people who buy 3D remakes of games we already played in 2D years ago after all, we're fine with new coats of paint on the same old crap.

9) Samus' ship looks the best in Super Metroid. She shouldn't have wrecked it.

10) They should a Metroid game where instead of Ridely and Kraid, you fight Eggplant Wizard and King Hippo, Mother Brain's henchmen in Captain N (aka the only true Nintendo canon). I imagine King Hippo launching Kraid-like projectiles from bandaged navel.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MA17 wrote:
    I've been on a Metroid kick lately. I started up Super Metroid, then began playing Zero Mission when away from the TV, then put in Prime, then started Fusion when ZM ended, then went through Fusion again to get more than like 60% of the items.

[spoiler:7929d1d732]I forgot that they fucking lock you in once you make your way to the final showdown. [/spoiler:7929d1d732]
    This is why I've never beaten it.

Elendil on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SirToasty wrote:
    I want to finish Fusion again. I got a used copy many months ago. I played about 1/3 of the way into it, then the next day about another third, then my saves got deleted. I restarted and tried again. Got really far, saved, picked it up again, got to the Nightmare, saved before him, reloaded and the saves were gone again. .

You bought a bootlegged copy. You were probably unaware of the fact, too, which is the worst part:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74898

Trust me.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    slash000 wrote:
    SirToasty wrote:
    I want to finish Fusion again. I got a used copy many months ago. I played about 1/3 of the way into it, then the next day about another third, then my saves got deleted. I restarted and tried again. Got really far, saved, picked it up again, got to the Nightmare, saved before him, reloaded and the saves were gone again. .

You bought a bootlegged copy. You were probably unaware of the fact, too, which is the worst part:

Trust me.

This explains some second hand games I have.

Is it possible to pop the top and replace the battery or will I loose everything entirely (like the entire actual game rather than the save).

Blake T on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blaket wrote:
    slash000 wrote:
    SirToasty wrote:

Trust me.

This explains some second hand games I have.

Is it possible to pop the top and replace the battery or will I loose everything entirely (like the entire actual game rather than the save).

From what I understand, replacing the battery in these bootlegs will only lose your save data, and not the game. Of course, you run the risk of breaking the cheap, shitty solder that they use to connect various things on the circuit board.

I'm fairly certain that the cheap, shitty batteries they put into these bootlegs are the cause of the lost saves.

I should also say that Metroid Fusion and Castlevania Aria of Sorrow are probably the two most common bootlegged GBA games, but there are tons, and I mean tons of GBA bootlegs.

The thing I hate the most, besides paying too much for cheap shit, about bootlegs is the fact that a lot of innocent people don't know they're getting bootlegs. Then they lose their save files, or something bad happens, and they're led to believe that Nintendo's cart is at fault, when Nintendo didn't have anything to do with the bootleg and its cheap-as-shit parts/design

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm kind of sad how we haven't heard anything new about MP3. I can stomach the long-ass delay, but at least let us see some new shit.

And this game better have new items. If it goes back to the vanilla Varia/Gravity suit thing I'm gonna be upset.

Magus` on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Judging by Prime 2, all new suits are in the cards.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The lack of completely new items has been something that's irritated about the Metroid games.

We haven't really gotten a totally new item since Super Metroid.

In the beta demo of Fusion, there was all kinds of new items and abilities but none of them showed up in the final game. In one scene, we see Samus running up a wall. I thought this was a really cool ability and would have allowed for a lot of interesting level design.

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lurker wrote:
    The lack of completely new items has been something that's irritated about the Metroid games.

In the beta demo of Fusion, there was all kinds of new items and abilities but none of them showed up in the final game. In one scene, we see Samus running up a wall. I thought this was a really cool ability and would have allowed for a lot of interesting level design.

Really?

I did not know that. Is there a video of this on the Internet?

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lurker wrote:

Really?

I did not know that. Is there a video of this on the Internet?

The beta versions of Fusion were god aweful. Your brains would probably come out your eye sockets if you saw it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    MA17 wrote:

[spoiler:158d20f03e]I forgot that they fucking lock you in once you make your way to the final showdown. [/spoiler:158d20f03e]
    This is why I've never beaten it.
    Wait... they do this in Fusion?

[spoiler:158d20f03e]After you kill the SA-X, or what? I've got a save just before the SA-X battle where the whole space station is explorable, I think.[/spoiler:158d20f03e]

In Zero Mission:

[spoiler:158d20f03e]It took me forever to find out how to leave the final area and explore Zebes again after regaining Samus's suit. I thought you might be stuck there at first.[/spoiler:158d20f03e]

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Pooch wrote:
    Does anyone remember how to beat Ridley in Super Metroid?

Try shooting him.
    If it's the same as in fusion, but charge shots should be more powerful than missiles.

It's the same in every goddamn 2D Metroid to date.

Shoot him until he keels over and dies

I tried to powerbomb to death. But that failed.

I heard there's like 2 or 3 methods of killing him.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fusion frequently "suggests" you go to certain sections and a couple times forces the matter, but for the most part you can go anywhere that your abilities allow you to.

I think the main thing people object to is how the elevators to different sections only get activated as you complete certain other areas.

Also, the main thing I found difficult about Fusion Ridley is that he caused massive slowdown.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fusion frequently "suggests" you go to certain sections and a couple times forces the matter, but for the most part you can go anywhere that your abilities allow you to.

I think the main thing people object to is how the elevators to different sections only get activated as you complete certain other areas.

Also, the main thing I found difficult about Fusion Ridley is that he caused massive slowdown.

Nah, you're actually locked to one particular area for the entirety of Fusion except for the very end, right before you go fight SA-X. The door locks behind you right as you enter each area until you've completed the objective.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote:

Nah, you're actually locked to one particular area for the entirety of Fusion except for the very end, right before you go fight SA-X. The door locks behind you right as you enter each area until you've completed the objective.
    I thought that was only for your first visit to each area.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote:

I thought that was only for your first visit to each area.

Right. And even at the very end, as long as you don't go into the computer room for when Adam locks you in, you can get around from one sector to another using certain areas in each zone. (You can't go into the computer rooms, but you can save, as the save room is before the computer room). I worked myself up to full completion that way.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I got that Scurge game.

It's pretty damn cool, and although I hate being timed, the frequency of save spots and the neccessity of using them constantly makes an impulsive saver like me very happy.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you were free to go anywhere in Fusion would the game be as large as Super Metroid?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Lurker wrote:

I dunno, the Spider Ball mechanic (the implementation anyways) in Prime was pretty new. Not to mention all the visors and crap, also the charge combos.

Fusion had Diffusion Missiles and some other stuff.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lurker wrote:

I dunno, the Spider Ball mechanic (the implementation anyways) in Prime was pretty new. Not to mention all the visors and crap, also the charge combos.

The spider ball was introduced in Metroid II, though, so even that's not totally new.

The visors were new, though, I'll give you that.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    elevature wrote:
    Lurker wrote:

The spider ball was introduced in Metroid II, though, so even that's not totally new.

The ability to walk/run up walls (magnetic boots?) would make an awesome mechanic in the Prime games, and could lead to some crazy level design.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    elevature wrote:
    Lurker wrote:

The ability to walk/run up walls (magnetic boots?) would make an awesome mechanic in the Prime games, and could lead to some crazy level design.

I've always thought it would be neat to visit a Metroid planet where gravity is screwed up in various pockets. In a way that could be like the magnetic boots in Zelda, only it would allow Samus to keep her speed and agility. That could create some interesting gameplay, trying to jump from pocket to pocket. But I imagine it would get confusing and disorienting rather fast. Maybe the solution is a gravity visor!

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MikeRyu wrote:
    If you were free to go anywhere in Fusion would the game be as large as Super Metroid?

Nah, not nearly. I don't think a 2D Metroid has surpassed Super in size so far (ZM MAYBE equals it, but that's a big maybe). All the 3D ones are much, much bigger though, obviously.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote:
    MikeRyu wrote:

Nah, not nearly. I don't think a 2D Metroid has surpassed Super in size so far (ZM MAYBE equals it, but that's a big maybe). All the 3D ones are much, much bigger though, obviously.

I didn't realise Zero Mission was that large. I've always thought that Zero Mission was a crappy half-Metroid game, I never realised that it was so well liked. What is the setup with ZM? Is it a prequel to the first game or semi-sequel or something?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MikeRyu wrote:
    SimBen wrote:
    MikeRyu wrote:

I didn't realise Zero Mission was that large. I've always thought that Zero Mission was a crappy half-Metroid game, I never realised that it was so well liked. What is the setup with ZM? Is it a prequel to the first game or semi-sequel or something?

It's a remake of the original Metroid, with some new bits tacked on. It's fantastic, I liked it more than Fusion. It's definitely not a crappy half-Metroid game, but one of the best in the series.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    elevature wrote:
    MikeRyu wrote:
    SimBen wrote:
    MikeRyu wrote:

It's a remake of the original Metroid, with some new bits tacked on. It's fantastic, I liked it more than Fusion. It's definitely not a crappy half-Metroid game, but one of the best in the series.
    Yeah, Zero Mission is wonderful. Awesome music, awesome level design, good boss fights... the only complaint I can level against the game is that normal mode is way too easy, and hard mode must be unlocked by beating the game once to play. Still, I'd recommend it to any GBA/DS owner without hesitation.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Kaputa wrote:
    elevature wrote:
    MikeRyu wrote:
    SimBen wrote:
    MikeRyu wrote:

Yeah, Zero Mission is wonderful. Awesome music, awesome level design, good boss fights... the only complaint I can level against the game is that normal mode is way too easy, and hard mode must be unlocked by beating the game once to play. Still, I'd recommend it to any GBA/DS owner without hesitation.

I think I know what my next purchase is going to be. I had a blast with Fusion.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, what the heck is up with the final boss? It just seemed to show up out of nowhere.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zero mission is really really good. Zm has all the free roaming of Super with similar limitations on where you can go ( gravity / varia etc), but its just not quite the same. Although playing super directly after ZM i do miss the power grip ( which is a totally new mechanic i think). One thing i love about ZM is the way it has all of these tricky routes ( ridley before kraid anyone) designed into the game. They actually built it for speedrunners.

I havent played the 3d metroids but i cant imagine the same style of gameplay transfering across well. Does it?

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, what the heck is up with the final boss? It just seemed to show up out of nowhere.
    Of what, Zero mission?

I think it's [spoiler:9f754a63a2]a prototype for Mecha Ridely or something, though yeah, it is kind of unexpected.[/spoiler:9f754a63a2]

Pooch on