Options

Nanananananana Metroid!

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The 3D Metroids still feel Metroidy, if that's what you're asking. Really though, Prime 1 is like $8 anywhere now. If you have a GameCube or a Wii, there is absolutely no reason for you not to get it. My favorite game of this past generation.
    Also, what the heck is up with the final boss? It just seemed to show up out of nowhere.
    [spoiler:d46a359a00]The Metal Ridley?[/spoiler:d46a359a00]

I thought that was kind of random too. Pretty cool fight, though.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    elevature wrote:
    Lurker wrote:
    The lack of completely new items has been something that's irritated about the Metroid games.

We haven't really gotten a totally new item since Super Metroid.

In the beta demo of Fusion, there was all kinds of new items and abilities but none of them showed up in the final game. In one scene, we see Samus running up a wall. I thought this was a really cool ability and would have allowed for a lot of interesting level design.

I dunno, the Spider Ball mechanic (the implementation anyways) in Prime was pretty new. Not to mention all the visors and crap, also the charge combos.

Fusion had Diffusion Missiles and some other stuff.

The spider ball was introduced in Metroid II, though, so even that's not totally new.

The visors were new, though, I'll give you that.

The ability to walk/run up walls (magnetic boots?) would make an awesome mechanic in the Prime games, and could lead to some crazy level design.

I've always thought it would be neat to visit a Metroid planet where gravity is screwed up in various pockets. In a way that could be like the magnetic boots in Zelda, only it would allow Samus to keep her speed and agility. That could create some interesting gameplay, trying to jump from pocket to pocket. But I imagine it would get confusing and disorienting rather fast. Maybe the solution is a gravity visor!

Kinda sounds like something we might see in Mario Galaxy, actually.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You know what we need? We need a sequel to Metroid Prime Hunters with an online component that sucks less balls, i.e. can use different game modes with random people than the only crappy one.

Lemming on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    You know what we need? We need a sequel to Metroid Prime Hunters with an online component that sucks less balls, i.e. can use different game modes with random people than the only crappy one.
    Um, no. If we need any new Meroid DS game right now, it's a 2D one. Prioritize! After two other Metroid games on the DS it is so due. After we get that we can maybe start thinking about a sequel to Hunters. But first some delicious 2D Metroid goodness. There really isn't anything better.

Tingle on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes, after the next great 2D metroid, we can get Prime Hunters 2.

I love me some Prime Hunters, but I'd really like to see how well Nintendo can pull off a classic Metroid on the DS. I suspect that it would be spectacular.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »
    Lemming wrote: »
    Um, no. If we need any new Meroid DS game right now, it's a 2D one. Prioritize! After two other Metroid games on the DS it is so due. After we get that we can maybe start thinking about a sequel to Hunters. But first some delicious 2D Metroid goodness. There really isn't anything better.

I didn't say we need one now, we just need one eventually.

Lemming on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope we never seen another MP:H game ever again. But of course, that's just me. I look forward to MP3 and hopefully a really great SP 2D Metroid on the DS.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I beat fusion! Me so happy!

SA-X was a bitch...till I figured out you are invincible while screw attacking.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How would a 2D Metroid work on the DS? Would you use both screens Sonic Rush style? Or an alternative viewpoint? Or as an interactive map/hub type thing?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    How would a 2D Metroid work on the DS? Would you use both screens Sonic Rush style? Or an alternative viewpoint? Or as an interactive map/hub type thing?
    Second screen is a map/status. Plays like a regular metroid otherwise.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    Wherever you touch on the screen is the point that Samus fires at (see sisters mode of Castlevania: PoR).

This is of course an option and not required for playing the game, but good luck if you don't use it!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wherever you touch on the screen is the point that Samus fires at (see sisters mode of Castlevania: PoR).

This is of course an option and not required for playing the game, but good luck if you don't use it!
    I don't like that. MAybe, when you pause, the map comes down, and you can make notes of where things are but you can't get to them yet.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I d'no. They already made a Metroid that utilizes every feature of the NDS.

Now it's time to make one that uses no special features of the DS. Map on top screen, gameplay on bottom, no use of touch screen except optionally to navigate menus.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    3. Pretty damn. Super and II are rare, and expensive. Super [Metroid] has never been rereleased in any way, so with neither a Wii (for the upcoming [but undated] VC release) nor SNES, you're looking towards the "e" word. Expect to pay quite a bit for II, if you can find it. I, of course, is emulated on both Prime and Zero.

Yeah it has. My friend and I pooled our money to buy his original copy. I played "his" all I wanted and then I had to wait for the cheaper Player's Choice Million Seller version to buy for myself. IIRC, the manuals differed (his had a duplicate cover on the other side as the cover to an alternate language). "Rerelease" is exactly what Nintendo Power called it.
    Pooch wrote: »
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Before we continue, it should be noted that Super Metroid and Metroid II: Return of Samus are not rare, at all. Ever. The demand is high so they command a slightly higher than average price, there are plenty of copies out there.
    Isn't Metroid 2 kinda hard to find?

I know I've only seen it for sale once (which I bought).

I found a Japanese version in GameStop while visiting West Virginia (I think it was in Virginia though). $12 IIRC. I've seen the US version in EBStop stores often, but I've passed over them because I wanted something special (box, manual, import, etc). The import is identical as far as the programming. Every single bit and byte is the same. FWIW, Super Metroid is 100% identical in the US and Japan too.

CZroe on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't like that. MAybe, when you pause, the map comes down, and you can make notes of where things are but you can't get to them yet.
    Being able to mark points on maps should be in most games now.

Pooch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I've seen a couple of Metroid II's at the local Gamestop.

Awesome game. Great on the Super Gameboy if you have one.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Being able to mark points on maps should be in most games now.
    Especially games that rely heavily on exploration. It would be nice in Metroid.
    "Powerbomb tank. need powerbombs."
    Or
    "Missile Tank. Need speed booster.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

Even better on the GBC/GBA. The GBC bios colors the game with more than the SGB's default 4-color selections (the SGB recognizes the game and preconfigures too).

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »

Even better on the GBC/GBA. The GBC bios colors the game with more than the SGB's default 4-color selections (the SGB recognizes the game and preconfigures too).

Well that's what the Super Gameboy does. Plus, playing on a big screen = awesome.

But same deal on GBC/GBA, if you want to play it on the go.

Either way, :^: for colorized Metroid II!

Now we just need a 'zero mission' edition of Metroid II. Or would people bash Nintendo for "rereleasing" their games?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Especially games that rely heavily on exploration. It would be nice in Metroid.
    "Powerbomb tank. need powerbombs."
    Or
    "Missile Tank. Need speed booster.
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin actually had the ability to mark up to three or four points on a level's map by dragging these little pointers over the map. The only thing is I didn't really know about it until late in the game, and even then it's dumb because it doesn't carry over to the top screen (you have to pause the game and go to 'MAP' to see the marked map.)

The fact that you can write on the map is really appealing to me in the new Zelda DS game.

Pooch on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Wait, are you saying that if you play the game in a GBC it will know that it's Metroid 2 and give it a custom color palette? If so, then DAMN, why did I lose my copy of that game?

Food on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Now it's time to make one that uses no special features of the DS. Map on top screen, gameplay on bottom, no use of touch screen except optionally to navigate menus.

That would be boring. I think in order to open doors, you should have to solve a sliding square puzzle with the touch pad! Ooh, and to switch weapons, you have to draw the shape of the weapon (missile for missiles, missile with a big S on it for super missiles), and if you want to go into morph ball mode you should have to draw a circle!

Oooh, and to charge up a shot from your charge beam, you should have to blow into the microphone! The longer you blow, the more powerful your shot!

Now that would be innovative!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Food wrote: »

Wait, are you saying that if you play the game in a GBC it will know that it's Metroid 2 and give it a custom color palette? If so, then DAMN, why did I lose my copy of that game?

It's something weird coded into Metroid II, I think. There were a couple of games that did this, for the Gameboy, where they had only 4 colors, but once inserted into the Super Gameboy (and subsequently the GBC/GBA), it allowed the game to have >4 colors. I know that, at least, for example, the Pokemon games were designed with this idea. I think Donkey Kong was, too, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, check it out:

Take this:

MetroidOrig.jpg

And insert it into the Super Gameboy / GBC / GBA, to get this:

180px-M2DX2.jpg

metroid2dx.jpg

M21.JPG

Metroid II was the posterchild for the Super Gameboy. The game was even shown on the front cover of the box for the Super Gameboy.

256px-Supergb.JPG

slash000 on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That would be boring. I think in order to open doors, you should have to solve a sliding square puzzle with the touch pad! Ooh, and to switch weapons, you have to draw the shape of the weapon (missile for missiles, missile with a big S on it for super missiles), and if you want to go into morph ball mode you should have to draw a circle!

Oooh, and to charge up a shot from your charge beam, you should have to blow into the microphone! The longer you blow, the more powerful your shot!

and quite possibly the most tedious game ever.

ever.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

ever.

Think about the speed runs. D:

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SilverWind wrote: »

ever.

Think about the speed runs. D:

asthmatics be damned.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Food wrote: »

It's something weird coded into Metroid II, I think. There were a couple of games that did this, for the Gameboy, where they had only 4 colors, but once inserted into the Super Gameboy (and subsequently the GBC/GBA), it allowed the game to have >4 colors. I know that, at least, for example, the Pokemon games were designed with this idea. I think Donkey Kong was, too, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, check it out:

Take this:

MetroidOrig.jpg

And insert it into the Super Gameboy / GBC / GBA, to get this:

180px-M2DX2.jpg

metroid2dx.jpg

M21.JPG

Metroid II was the posterchild for the Super Gameboy. The game was even shown on the front cover of the box for the Super Gameboy.

256px-Supergb.JPG

Yep. It was the poster child and it wasn't even an "SGB Enhanced" game (the game was programmed with no knowledge of the SGB or the GBC).

One example of the GBC enhancements for particular games that I didn't see listed was Kirby's Dream Land 2 (also, perhaps the original Kirby's Dream Land). It made the sprite layer pink while cutomizing the pallets for other layers with the maximum amount of colors. This went a long way to making the game appear to be full color. It did cause a few unavoidable artifacts, such as pink appearing in the blocks around Whispy Wood's mouth when it would animate and a square pink block around the tile that shows Kirby stuck in a cloud. IIRC, Krako's spawned enemies would have pink blocks when they appear during the boss battle.

Edit: I never read it anywhere, I only counted colors on the screen to confirm it for myself, so I tried googling to find out if Metroid II's GBC pallette was common knowledge. Wikipedia quotes from an interview stating that "Dan Owsen of Nintendo claimed its color-palette needs were even taken into account in the design of the Game Boy Color hardware." I'm surprised that they go in-depth on an unofficial game colorization without documenting the effect of the "official" one. I mean, why not say something about it so that people know that this is comparable?

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    At one point Metroid II DX was in development, you know.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I think this is actually a picture of it.

M21.JPG

Pooch on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been thinking this over and I have come to the conclusion that technically Super Metroid should have never existed, it's just too dang awesome! Think about it:

-has a story that rivals most sci-fi novels and films
    -monster design that is in no way cheesy and is thoroughly convincing that what you are fighting are alien life forms
    -Graphics and sprite detail that rivals even today's games (specifically the portable side-scrollers)
    -Contains an extremely serious and creepy atmosphere without being melodramatic
    -music that fits the aforementioned atmosphere to a tee

In other words it's a modern game made in an age when video games had a cartoonish or cheesy look to it. Super Metroid was way ahead of its time and by all rights just defies most universal laws simply by its existence. It is that awesome and one ponders why this game is not on the VC yet...

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    schlewschlew Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I think this is actually a picture of it.

M21.JPG

I'm going to be sick from the sad truth of this not coming to fruition...

schlew on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Is Metroid 2 a worthy play? It just seems like all you hear about is Metroid and then Super Metroid with 2 being the forgotten red headed step child of the family. is it just because it was a Gameboy game and not on a home console?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    While I love Metroid and appreciate Metroid 2 for the advancements it brought to the series (namely some upgrades that are still among the best and most creative), I think it majorly sucks ass. The music is terrible, the areas are bland and repetitive, the bosses are completely uninteresting and the progression through SR388 is the most linear of any Metroid game.

I'd love to see a Zero Missionesq remake for Return of Samus. Dear god this chapter needs one.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It seems that Nintendo used to have a real problem with sequels to their big hits I had never noticed before. 2 was an offical Nintendo game too? It seems weird that a franchise with a lackluster sequel would almost be written off today but Metroid is one of big survivors.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is Metroid 2 a worthy play? It just seems like all you hear about is Metroid and then Super Metroid with 2 being the forgotten red headed step child of the family. is it just because it was a Gameboy game and not on a home console?

I had a lot of fun with metroid 2. I think it's a great game but what it really needs is a damn map. Most of the area's look the same and the game is huge. Also every once in a while the screen will shake to let you know that somewhere some lava has subsided and you can get to a new area. Of course you don't know where it went down and not only that it's really hard to remember how to get back to the places you have been.

It's defiantly worth a play. There isn't a bad Metroid game.

That being said this one really needs a Fusion style upgrade. It's a huge part of the methos, you don't even really understand what's going on in Super metroid and Fusion without the events of the Return of Samus.

Gino on
  • Options
    LeoDudeLeoDude Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My problem with Metroid 2 is that at some point, you are forced to run through lava to proceed. (Or if not, I screwed up twice.)

No biggee. I did it and proceeded as normal.

So, when I got stuck later, I was like: "Oh! More lava running!" Which I had just BARELY enough life to make it to the next metroid (which conveniently had an energy restoring thingie nearby.)

Come to find out, I missed an item AND a metroid way back by the jumping morphball power up and I'm no where near it.

I get lost every friggen time I try and get back to it.

And once I do, I have no idea where the metroid I missed is at. (I know its in the general area, but the maps I've looked at are no help and it was a very long time ago when I DID find it (but didn't save ;_;)

So, I do not have the patience to proceed any further, or restart this game.

Also, I sold my SP for a DS and I despise those caverns on a non-backlit screen.

LeoDude on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You got it wrong.

Magus` on
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LeoDude wrote: »
    My problem with Metroid 2 is that at some point, you are forced to run through lava to proceed. (Or if not, I screwed up twice.)

No biggee. I did it and proceeded as normal.

So, when I got stuck later, I was like: "Oh! More lava running!" Which I had just BARELY enough life to make it to the next metroid (which conveniently had an energy restoring thingie nearby.)

Come to find out, I missed an item AND a metroid way back by the jumping morphball power up and I'm no where near it.

I get lost every friggen time I try and get back to it.

And once I do, I have no idea where the metroid I missed is at. (I know its in the general area, but the maps I've looked at are no help and it was a very long time ago when I DID find it (but didn't save ;_;)

So, I do not have the patience to proceed any further, or restart this game.

Also, I sold my SP for a DS and I despise those caverns on a non-backlit screen.

The lava will go down once you've killed all the metroids in that area... or as magus' said "you got it wrong"

Gino on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's pretty good. Not the best, but I'd say it's worth 10-20 dollars if you an find it for that price.

It's much better than the original Metroid, which I can never bear to play for 20 minutes without shutting it off.

Pooch on
  • Options
    LeoDudeLeoDude Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I know that.

But you are never forced to rush through the lava to kill a metroid to lower the lava you just passed AND the lava in front of you?

I dunno, its been years and I gave up rather easily.

LeoDude on