Options

Nanananananana Metroid!

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you're at the part I'm thinking of, there are 2 more Metroids you need. Both are fairly close to each other, but they're in some fucking insane labyrinth thing. I ran through the lava myself several times myself. One game I somehow happened upon the 2 I missed and BOOM, lava gone.

Annoyed the fuck out of me.

Magus` on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All I remember of Super Metroid from when I was a kid was that it was pretty epic and lavish looking. I don't know if it still is today, maybe it hasn't dated much as those kinds of graphics have never really been improved on since 3D games started going.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    All I remember of Super Metroid from when I was a kid was that it was pretty epic and lavish looking. I don't know if it still is today, maybe it hasn't dated much as those kinds of graphics have never really been improved on since 3D games started going.

Super metroid has barely aged a day. The game is still beautiful. Yes there are prettier 2d games but SM is a joy to look at all the same.

Gino on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think Super Metroid holds up extremely well even today (with maybe the exceptions of the kludgier controls when compared to the GBA Metroids). That heavy atmosphere and presentation is still top-notch, and I think it it still beats out the more recent games. Right at the title screen with the ominous rendition of the Metroid theme and the intro level with the space station (complete with dead scientists and pixelated blood), Nintendo basically said that all bets were off with this game.

Man, I remember when I beat first Crocomire. It was a pretty shocking scene, especially considering Nintendo's normally tame reputitation.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gino wrote: »
    Super metroid has barely aged a day. The game is still beautiful. Yes there are prettier 2d games but SM is a joy to look at all the same.
    Yeah, even compared to the newer GBA Metroids it doesn't really look worse.

It doesn't have as many fancy effects, but I think if they were to port it to the GBA people wouldn't even realize it was a SNES game unless they were told.

Pooch on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seems a shame that we don't get more 2D sprite based games on the new consoles these days. It can create a very clear artistic look.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The problem I find is that a 2D Metroid would look great on the DS, but due to it having a fairly small resolution, it couldn't look quite as good as SM did.

Of course, like hell we'll ever see another 2D Metroid on consoles. Thank god that MP is so good.

Magus` on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    US online retailer Best Buy has sent out an email notifying customers who have pre-ordered Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Wii that the release date has changed from summer '07 to New. Year's. Eve.

Will it or won't it make 2007? It's a question that's repeatedly being asked more and more. Back in February we reported that Nintendo US boss Reggie Fils-Aime told MTV: "The focus on 'Prime 3' is to make that the stellar game for a first-person experience on the platform. What that means is we're going to make sure it's perfect when we launch it."

Now Jopystick reports that Best Buy has pulled its summer date saying it has been informed that the release date has changed.

We'll chase Nintendo and let you know.

Dammit to hell.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    NOR wrote: »
    US online retailer Best Buy has sent out an email notifying customers who have pre-ordered Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Wii that the release date has changed from summer '07 to New. Year's. Eve.

Dammit to hell.

<kills self>

I guess the only upside is that they could push Mario Galaxy -- or anything, please -- up to space things out. Can't have all the big-hitters released at the same time this Christmas.

...Or can they?! Maybe New Year's is not considered big holiday shopping time.

TubaFrog on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Will it or won't it make 2007? It's a question that's repeatedly being asked more and more. Back in February we reported that Nintendo US boss Reggie Fils-Aime told MTV: "The focus on 'Prime 3' is to make that the stellar game for a first-person experience on the platform. What that means is we're going to make sure it's perfect when we launch it."

Now Jopystick reports that Best Buy has pulled its summer date saying it has been informed that the release date has changed.

Dammit to hell.

a6fa5fadcd72f4f8fa92042aab392363.jpg
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »

Dammit to hell.

a6fa5fadcd72f4f8fa92042aab392363.jpg
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Don't worry, Terrorbyte still has two chances left.

jothki on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TubaFrog wrote: »

Dammit to hell.

<kills self>

I guess the only upside is that they could push Mario Galaxy -- or anything, please -- up to space things out. Can't have all the big-hitters released at the same time this Christmas.

...Or can they?! Maybe New Year's is not considered big holiday shopping time.

More than likely, New Year's Eve is just a placeholder date Best Buy put in when they weren't given a specific one. EBStop does it all the time, when games aren't coming out for a long time. If it has been delayed to Q4, it'll likely come out in time for the Christmas buying system.

Still: poop. Here's hoping Mario Galaxy gets moved to summer... the game's so damn huge, it wouldn't make sense to release it anywhere near another big name. That way we get Mario early, and Terrorbyte gets some cock-feasting.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This annoys me. I could care less about SSMB:B or SMG. This is game I got the Wii for.

I just hope that when it does come out, it's worth the wait.

Magus` on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope Metroid Prime 3 getting pushed past christmas won't get it crapped on for sales. If Metroid games don't sell well, they will stop making them again. Remember the N64 era? Oh man.... that was Hell.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I hope Metroid Prime 3 getting pushed past christmas won't get it crapped on for sales. If Metroid games don't sell well, they will stop making them again. Remember the N64 era? Oh man.... that was Hell.

Wait a second, your saying the reason we didn't get a Metroid 64 was that Super Metroid sales were lackluster? I find this very hard to believe.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Wait a second, your saying the reason we didn't get a Metroid 64 was that Super Metroid sales were lackluster? I find this very hard to believe.

Yeah, I heard that we didn't get any sequels until the Gamecube because the creator of the series didn't want any more games to be made and hadn't died yet.

I do wonder how much of a role SSB played in getting Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion made, though.

jothki on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

No.

Are you saying that if a game sells poorly, sequels will be made?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

No.

Are you saying that if a game sells poorly, sequels will be made?

I agree that poor sales = no sequel, Beyond good & Evil and Psychonauts is proof enough but I thought that Super Metroid was a super popular game back in the day. It really didn't sell well?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If I recall correctly, it selled well enough in the US, but tanked in Japan. Apparently Japan doesn't care for Metroid nearly as much as the US (and maybe Europe?) does.

Magus` on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ignoring whether Super Metroid had anything to do with the N64, the N64 era was nevertheless hell for the Metroid fan.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, it selled well enough in the US, but tanked in Japan. Apparently Japan doesn't care for Metroid nearly as much as the US (and maybe Europe?) does.

More than a million worldwide, I think.

So no, it's sales had nothing to do with no Metroid game on the N64.

Duki on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They're holding the game back to make sure it's perfect? Those bastards!

Really, though, I too readily remember Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker to be upset about this. (Disclaimer: I am not insulting these games, per se. They are awesome, but could have been considerably awesomer.)

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wait

explain to me why everyone assumes that Best Buy moving a date means MP3 DELAYED TO NEXT YEAR CONFIRMED

seems like it just as easily means it might not make summer, and even that's not a given

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess this delay gives me time to save up for a Wii. This is the game that I was most convinced to eventually purchase one. However, I don't want to have to choose between a new guitar and a Wii D:

Any word on new colors? I want that black so bad.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Nintendo has announced that they will start rolling out new colors as soon as you buy a Wii.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nintendo has announced that they will start rolling out new colors as soon as you buy a Wii.
    Catch 22s suck ass.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, i finished Prime 2 last week, for the first time, with 99% score (damn you!, Quadraxis damaged head!!) and i found it on par with Prime 1, and not inferior as many people say.

Both have its up and downs, i think that:

-Prime 1 had better story, music and level design.
    -Prime 2 had better boss fights, slightly higher difficulty(wich is good) and better graphics.

I especially liked the morph ball battles, they were fresh and fun.
    And the final fetch quest didnt felt as bad as i heard, the only annoying thing is the stupid luminoth names. :P

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dagnabit, this thread made me start playing Zero Mission again.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    So, i finished Prime 2 last week, for the first time, with 99% score (damn you!, Quadraxis damaged head!!) and i found it on par with Prime 1, and not inferior as many people say.

Both have its up and downs, i think that:

-Prime 1 had better story, music and level design.
    -Prime 2 had better boss fights, slightly higher difficulty(wich is good) and better graphics.

I especially liked the morph ball battles, they were fresh and fun.
    And the final fetch quest didnt felt as bad as i heard, the only annoying thing is the stupid luminoth names. :P
    Prime 2 didn't feel as free roaming as Prime 1 did. The beginning of each area was very linear, but eventually spread out as more doors opened. Prime 1 seemed like from the get-go there were so many different ways to go even if only one got you where you needed.

It is difficult to decide between the boss battles. The bosses themselves, and not the fight, seemed less original in Prime 2. This boss is an Ing that has absorbed this power and that boss is an Ing who has absorbed that power. In Prime 1 it was more like, this boss is a mutated, sentient, plant form that can absoorb intense heat from sunlight because it has the Varia suit while this boss is a genetic experiment infused with Phazon, it falls on you and your suit absorbs the Phazon into it's system.

The battles themselves were awesome in Prime 2, though. Quadraxis is a spectacular battle. The Spider Guardian was a very interesting one. It was more of a puzzle. The Boost Guardian pissed me off because I couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing out of puddle form. Boss difficulty was definitely up in Prime 2. I lost to 2 bosses in Prime 1 Hard mode (Thardus and Prime the first time, Omega Pirate and Prime the second time.). In Prime 2, I got my ass kicked by Boost Guardian, Alpha Blogg, Prime on the elevator, and I didn't even make it Emperor Ing's second form, suffice to say, Prime would have kicked my ass again.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess this delay gives me time to save up for a Wii. This is the game that I was most convinced to eventually purchase one. However, I don't want to have to choose between a new guitar and a Wii D:

Black guitars? Yeah, I think they make those now. Just make sure it has actual strings on it, not just a bunch of fruity buttons.

TubaFrog on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wait

explain to me why everyone assumes that Best Buy moving a date means MP3 DELAYED TO NEXT YEAR CONFIRMED

seems like it just as easily means it might not make summer, and even that's not a given

I made the "likely a placeholder date arbitrarily made by a giant retailer that doesn't know when the hell it's coming out, just not soon" point, but it was apparently ignored.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, question:

What is the metroid prime?
    what i understood is that the meteor crashes on tallon, the chozo build temple to contain the phazon core, later, the pirates arrive, begin their experiments, bring in metroids, one of the metroids likes phazon too much and it enhaces its skills and absorbs pirate weapons and stuff, it breaches containment and escapes to the phazon core.

But how did he got access to the core? you need the keys.
    What are the chozo talking about when they speak about "the worm"? At some poinmt i though that prime arrived with the meteor.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So, question:

what i understood is that the meteor crashes on tallon, the chozo build temple to contain the phazon core, later, the pirates arrive, begin their experiments, bring in metroids, one of the metroids likes phazon too much and it enhaces its skills and absorbs pirate weapons and stuff, it breaches containment and escapes to the phazon core.

What are the chozo talking about when they speak about "the worm"? At some poinmt i though that prime arrived with the meteor.
    What I got from it is that Metroid Prime isn't actually a metroid, but was just given that name by the Space Pirates because of its similarity to true metroids. I'm not sure how they knew so much about the core, though, so I'm going to have to reread all of the logs at some point. Could just be a plot hole.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    TubaFrog wrote: »

Black guitars? Yeah, I think they make those now. Just make sure it has actual strings on it, not just a bunch of fruity buttons.
    ???

I ment black Wiis.

Were you being sarcastic?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    So, question:

What I got from it is that Metroid Prime isn't actually a metroid, but was just given that name by the Space Pirates because of its similarity to true metroids. I'm not sure how they knew so much about the core, though, so I'm going to have to reread all of the logs at some point. Could just be a plot hole.
    You forget that Metroid Prime's final form is able to create metroids, so it certainly has something to do with them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime_%28creature%29

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Don't forget that the Chozo created the metroids.

As such, it is not unthinkable that there were metroids on the planet before the Space Pirates got there.

Most likely though, it's a plot hole. The Space Pirate logs seem to describe it as a metroid experiment gone horribly wrong.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Really, though, I too readily remember Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker to be upset about this. (Disclaimer: I am not insulting these games, per se. They are awesome, but could have been considerably awesomer.)

They are probably holding it back to add another shitty multiplayer mode.

The news of this delay has come awfully close to the announcement of the Gamespy/Nintendo deal.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The news of this delay has come awfully close to the announcement of the Gamespy/Nintendo deal.

If they are adding multiplayer, it will probably not be shitty

Think about it. MP3 could do for Wii wifi what MP:H sort-of-did for the DS. It's still the most played online game, I think.

Lemming on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Space Pirate logs seem to describe it as a metroid experiment gone horribly wrong.

IIRC, they're pretty explicit that Metroid Prime is a Metroid that was severely mutated by a unique batch of Phazon. We don't really know how much of its first form (if any) is part of MP itself, and how much comes from the pirate technology that it absorbed, although the beam-related shapeshifting is probably derived from some Beam Pirate tech that it ate.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lemming wrote: »

If they are adding multiplayer, it will probably not be shitty

Think about it. MP3 could do for Wii wifi what MP:H sort-of-did for the DS. It's still the most played online game, I think.

Could have fooled me. I have been trying to play with no restrictions on region off and on for a bit now and more people are playing bowling on Club House Games than Metroid DS. In fact I haven't found one game the last 2 times I tried to play online (I loathe the single player).

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack