As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    So, most of the support Hero builds require a fair number of Ritualist skills. Now, I have pretty much all core skills and most elite skills unlocked for the six classes from Prophecies, but very little in the way of A/Rt/D/P skills.

So what's the quickest way of unlocking, in particular, Rt skills, since they seem to be the flavour for a lot of Hero teams? Make an Rt and speed to the nearest skill trainer, where I spend a few plat on getting the non-elites, then respec my secondary on my main to Rt and go hunting with SoCs for the elites?
    Basically, this. Factions is a bit unique in that aside from Pve skills and elites, every non elite is available from the trainer in Kaineng for Assassin and Ritualist.

As an alternative to going skill capping (as some of those good elites are pretty deep into Factions), do a little bit of PvP. 3000 Balthazar rep will unlock an elite skill for the class of your choice, allowing you to use it on any of your heroes. I picked up a number of hard to get elites that way to build my team out.

With the double Balth rewards this weekend, the competitive missions are pretty lucrative. I played about four hours yesterday and unlocked two full hero builds worth of skills for that optimal 7 man support team.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    Alright I've procrastinated long enough. I'm looking to get some of the HoM rewards unlocked now that Guild Wars 2 appears to be on the horizon and would greatly appreciate an invite to the guild. Playing a Dervish named Kwon Yunhwa.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    woohoo, made it to 40/50

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Alright I've procrastinated long enough. I'm looking to get some of the HoM rewards unlocked now that Guild Wars 2 appears to be on the horizon and would greatly appreciate an invite to the guild. Playing a Dervish named Kwon Yunhwa.

Invited.
    woohoo, made it to 40/50

Congrats! Onwards to 45!

• Options
    Geod wrote:

Invited.
    woohoo, made it to 40/50

Congrats! Onwards to 45!

ehh...

i'd need to get 10 more minis, 10 more hero armors (those two are doable), vabbian armor, and five more oppressor weapons.

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    woohoo, made it to 40/50
    geod wrote:
    Congrats! Onwards to 45!

ehh...

i'd need to get 10 more minis, 10 more hero armors (those two are doable), vabbian armor, and five more oppressor weapons.

That's really not that much. And Legend of the Mists does sound like the best title IMO.

Rook on
  • Options
    Rook wrote:
    woohoo, made it to 40/50
    geod wrote:
    Congrats! Onwards to 45!

ehh...

That's really not that much. And Legend of the Mists does sound like the best title IMO.

it...kinda is a lot
    that would probably take me a month

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Vabbian was expensive as shit, since rubies and sapphires are roughly the same price as ectos now. I don't know how much it is now, presumably much more since GW2 is getting closer to release. Again, there's those treasure chests you can find for gold/gems.

I have a few Trade Contracts left over if you want to trade them in for gems. I think I've got 3.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2012
    Turns out my warrior had every single anniversary pet waiting for him.

Suppose I should get this EoN thingie.

edit: as in one pet per anniversary. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    What's awesome about the anniversary gifts is that you get one per character that's passed the year mark, instead of once per year on an account basis. If you made 8 characters, every year you'd get 8 pets. It would have helped speed up getting them for me if I did that earlier, but I didn't think ahead to do so.

TolerantZero on
  • Options
    Oh hey. Suppose I'll log the other four random dudes I've had sitting for years.

• Options
    I'd call this a good start. (Got another four duplicates.)

pets.jpg

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Those high end titles are indeed very nice sounding. But the thought of doubling the amount of grinding I've already done for such trivial bonuses is not appealing to me.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Vabbian was expensive as shit, since rubies and sapphires are roughly the same price as ectos now. I don't know how much it is now, presumably much more since GW2 is getting closer to release. Again, there's those treasure chests you can find for gold/gems.

I have a few Trade Contracts left over if you want to trade them in for gems. I think I've got 3.

As of like a day or two ago Rubies/Sapphires were both 9.5k ea, slightly *more* than an ecto, though it varies a lot. So if you straight up bought Vabbian you're looking at 320k worth of rubies/sapphires (+25p straight cost) for a 4 piece set...so yeah, brutal. Even luxon/kurzik armor is pretty damn expensive right now too, so I think for my 25/50 HoM goal I'm just going to get one 'cheap' elite set and call it a day.

My remaining stuff to get 25/50:
    5 more Hero armors (shadow nexus) + level Phoenix to 20 + Black Widow
    1 Elite Armor (Sunspear Norn probably, seems to be the least expensive)
    1 Rare mini + 7 Any minis
    3 More titles (Sunspear + Lightbringer + ???)

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    9.5k is a little higher than what I bought them for (7.5-8.5k) so I'm partially glad I got them when I did. Luckily, I had some good drops from the treasure chests around Nightfall so I didn't need to pay as much. It was still expensive, but it could have been worse.

You could always farm Geodes from Rain Beetles, they have (at a chance) rubies and sapphires to be salvaged.

TolerantZero on
  • Options
    Oh Shadow Nexus, y u h8 me?

One piece of armor so far, blech.

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hated farming shadow nexus so much I just up and bought primeval for those heroes. It was worth my sanity.

• Options
    Entriech wrote: »
    I hated farming shadow nexus so much I just up and bought primeval for those heroes. It was worth my sanity.

yup same

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well, I only did it for one armor fragment, because I wasn't going for all heroes, but I didn't find it that bad. The worst part is the minute long wait at the beginning, for a challenge that can be failed in less time, if you fuck up. It wasn't hard to kill 1-3 of the guys each time though. If I had needed to get more armors, I wouldn't have had a huge problem with it. Nothing any more frustrating than the hero AI hating the staircase at the beginning of the second island in the corsair challenge.

I didn't even do the worm based challenge, but that one has to be worse?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Naw. Once you figure out the pattern of actions to take down a Ghostly hero (Find large, buff-giving critter, keep it at low health, kill it when ghost is on approach, kill ghost, repeat) you can get 7 to 10 opportunities to get armor per attempt. Way easier than that Portal challenge.

• Options
    Well, I only did it for one armor fragment, because I wasn't going for all heroes, but I didn't find it that bad. The worst part is the minute long wait at the beginning, for a challenge that can be failed in less time, if you fuck up. It wasn't hard to kill 1-3 of the guys each time though. If I had needed to get more armors, I wouldn't have had a huge problem with it. Nothing any more frustrating than the hero AI hating the staircase at the beginning of the second island in the corsair challenge.

I found the Worm challenge fairly straightforward once the pattern was set. Helps that that you only deal with one enemy and it's a very predictable one - Nexus you have to build a 4 person team to handle the big bursts of damage you face and a seemingly far worse drop rate on the armor bits. I plowed through 5 pieces on the Wurm challenge, but not even close for Nexus (1 so far). I'll probably just end up buying 4 Primeval/Mysterious bits to finish off my hero armors.

I hadn't realized Norn armor required rank 5 to buy, guess it's worth it to reach that (rank 3 atm) since the mats cost is so small compared to others. Think I'll be able to hit my goal or come very close by the end of this week.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Figured I'd unlock the elites for support heroes the quick way someone suggested.
    2NNa8.jpg

Feels good. 23 of those 25 were flawless.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    Starting the HoM grind myself preparing for GW2. Can someone invite Shadowlyn Amnell?

• Options
    43/50, literally bankrupt
    as in, i have under 1k

• Options
    intelnavi wrote: »
    Starting the HoM grind myself preparing for GW2. Can someone invite Shadowlyn Amnell?

Invited.
    43/50, literally bankrupt
    as in, i have under 1k

I have more money if you have more z keys!

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    I could use an invite on Atalia Vidha pretty please.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I just dug this out to see if I could eke out any HoM trinkets before GW2 came out. Just so I can get a sense of scale on what I'll need to do... when people mention something costs 20k, is that 20,000 gold or 20,000 plat?

Never really got into this since my girlfriend hated it. Now she's totally into her ranger and wondering why we never beat any of the campaigns.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    I just dug this out to see if I could eke out any HoM trinkets before GW2 came out. Just so I can get a sense of scale on what I'll need to do... when people mention something costs 20k, is that 20,000 gold or 20,000 plat?

I was confused by this too. It's even worse when people say 20k plat.

It means 20,000 gold or 20 plat.

26904.png
  • Options
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    I could use an invite on Atalia Vidha pretty please.

Invited.

• Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    Does it still cost 1000k each to get the items to max out the party, sweet, and alcohol titles? Cash-wise, I'm in that maddening spot in which I have way more than enough to get all the non-title HoM points (already had vabbian and obsidian armor), but far from enough to get all of those titles

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Figured out how to get to 30+. Armour. I've totally neglected my armour monument, and I've realised it's not as expensive as I first thought to buy it all.

YAY!

Currently at 25 as I just bought my Elite Kurzick for my Rit. Next up: Vabbian! (Screw Obsidian. That'll be the very last thing I bother with)

Fantastic
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Screw it, I give up on Hero bits from Shadow Nexus, guess I'll just buy 'em.
    Stupid wrote: »
    Madpoet wrote: »

I was confused by this too. It's even worse when people say 20k plat.

It means 20,000 gold or 20 plat.

Took me a moment to get this too. In part I think it's because when you receive money from someone it just says gold and doesn't mention platinum, and in the end 1p = 1k so it simplifies trading.

Of course Ectos make everything slightly more confusing just because the exchange rate shifts constantly.

Edit: Yeesh, like *no one* selling mysterious/primeval armor bits. Did snag a gold mini though, so up to 20 HoM

steejee on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    That's odd, I bought bundles of the armor pieces in Kamadan a few weeks ago, usually 3-5k a pop depending on who's selling. I guess everyone bought them all?

You should definetly try again though. I find it hard to believe that nobody's selling them.

TolerantZero on
  • Options
    That's odd, I bought bundles of the armor pieces in Kamadan a few weeks ago, usually 3-5k a pop depending on who's selling. I guess everyone bought them all?

You should definetly try again though. I find it hard to believe that nobody's selling them.

Yeah I'll have to keep checking, hopefully last night was just a weird exception.

• Options
    I haven't been in the market long, but I'm fairly certain mini-pet prices are spiking, everything to do with armor is spiking, and things like everlasting tonics are plunging in value. This is a trend that will probably only continue as we get closer to GW2. Everyone knows that buying cosmetic stuff, like the EL potions, is pointless because they're switching to a new game soon. At the same time, hundreds of people a day are coming back (like me) to work on their Hall of Monuments and be fancy.

I wish I could sell my EL tonics. I also sort of wish I'd hung onto my mini-pets awhile longer, since I bet I'd have been able to get more for them. Oh well!

• Options
    Yeah I forked over a fair bit for a gold mini (didn't get one during Canthan new year) but it was a single reasonable purchase for 1pt + 1 more mini for total. Now need 6 or 7 more minis of any sort so I should be able to manage that.

Think I might try a Hero DoA run for remnants/title and drops, been reading up and it sounds like it's challenging but definitely doable - which is just about what I like.

• Options
    steejee wrote: »
    Yeah I forked over a fair bit for a gold mini (didn't get one during Canthan new year) but it was a single reasonable purchase for 1pt + 1 more mini for total. Now need 6 or 7 more minis of any sort so I should be able to manage that.

Think I might try a Hero DoA run for remnants/title and drops, been reading up and it sounds like it's challenging but definitely doable - which is just about what I like.

Foundry is the hardest area. I'd say Ravenheart Gloom is the easiest. The other two fall somewhere in between.

• Options
    I still need a gold mini myself. Is that something I'm just going to have to buy, or are there chances to get out of z-chests or upcoming holidays or anything?

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I still need a gold mini myself. Is that something I'm just going to have to buy, or are there chances to get out of z-chests or upcoming holidays or anything?

The canthan new year was the last chance to get a gold mini from a holiday. No minis drop from the z-chest. Probably your best bet is to buy one, do wik and exchange for royal gifts, or rely on your birthday presents. You can probably buy a first year gold mini for fairly cheap these days.

• Options
    Geod wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The canthan new year was the last chance to get a gold mini from a holiday. No minis drop from the z-chest. Probably your best bet is to buy one, do wik and exchange for royal gifts, or rely on your birthday presents. You can probably buy a first year gold mini for fairly cheap these days.

Ok, yeah, my birthday presents are all gone. Ended up opening 25 gifts and no gold, lol. I see them in trade chat for about 40k minimum. Unfortunately, that's the total amount of cash I have, so I think the gold mini point may just have to go by the wayside.