As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Ok, I'm remembering why I never finished GW in the first place, all the damn condition spamming. Can anyone suggest a way for my poor warrior to not get murderized just simply doing EotN content? I'm not even talking hard missions or anything, just a 7 pull faceraping me and my team of heroes/henches?

I'm currently axe-spec'd, with 5 heroes and 3 henches. I was using 2 healers, 1 other tank, and a bunch of ranged dps/support. Yet a group of standard mobs (no boss) just destroys me, especially when they spam blind so I'm useless. I own prophecies (completed) and nightfall (not really done much on it). The only axe elites I have are Cleave and Triple Chop (which I'm using). I have a decent set of armor + shield/weapon.

I've been playing a warrior and got through EoTN recently. I would recommend getting the Asura Scan skill, it will allow you to hit through blinds, blocking stances and pretty much any other condition, hex or aura that would otherwise make you miss and kill your damage. It's one of the best PVE skills for warriors.

I also really recommend setting up the 7 hero support build that is on the gwpvx wiki. You will notice the difference straight away. Even with no equipment or runes on the heroes they output so much damage, and have so much utility and healing. I barely even notice conditions now since they get removed so quick.

7-hero support really let me down, and takes FOREVER to build. Discord-way has been much more useful to me in the short term, and coincides well with someone using Asura-scan.

Yeah that's the big downside of it - it takes a long time (and a fair bit of change) to build it up, so it's not really useful till you're at most of the way through at least one campaign and can fill in a lot of the skills. I think I used some version of it with about half the skills replaced for a while with somewhat equivalent ones (or completely differnet heroes).

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am working on a modified version of the AoD build posted earlier in the thread. I'm not ready to publish changes because I'm only half done but it's working out pretty well so far. I might try for the 7-hero support if the AoD build loses efficacy as I continue testing.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    Ok, I'm remembering why I never finished GW in the first place, all the damn condition spamming. Can anyone suggest a way for my poor warrior to not get murderized just simply doing EotN content? I'm not even talking hard missions or anything, just a 7 pull faceraping me and my team of heroes/henches?

I'm currently axe-spec'd, with 5 heroes and 3 henches. I was using 2 healers, 1 other tank, and a bunch of ranged dps/support. Yet a group of standard mobs (no boss) just destroys me, especially when they spam blind so I'm useless. I own prophecies (completed) and nightfall (not really done much on it). The only axe elites I have are Cleave and Triple Chop (which I'm using). I have a decent set of armor + shield/weapon.

I've been playing a warrior and got through EoTN recently. I would recommend getting the Asura Scan skill, it will allow you to hit through blinds, blocking stances and pretty much any other condition, hex or aura that would otherwise make you miss and kill your damage. It's one of the best PVE skills for warriors.

I also really recommend setting up the 7 hero support build that is on the gwpvx wiki. You will notice the difference straight away. Even with no equipment or runes on the heroes they output so much damage, and have so much utility and healing. I barely even notice conditions now since they get removed so quick.

7-hero support really let me down, and takes FOREVER to build. Discord-way has been much more useful to me in the short term, and coincides well with someone using Asura-scan.

Yeah that's the big downside of it - it takes a long time (and a fair bit of change) to build it up, so it's not really useful till you're at most of the way through at least one campaign and can fill in a lot of the skills. I think I used some version of it with about half the skills replaced for a while with somewhat equivalent ones (or completely differnet heroes).

Ok, thanks for the offer - some possibly dumb questions:
    1) I presume you're referring to something like this? http://www.gwpvx.com/Build:Team_-_7_Hero_Melee_Support
    2) Can i just respec any of the heroes to these builds, or do I need to find and unlock specific heroes to use these?

96058.png?1619393207
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

1) I presume you're referring to something like this? http://www.gwpvx.com/Build:Team_-_7_Hero_Melee_Support
    2) Can i just respec any of the heroes to these builds, or do I need to find and unlock specific heroes to use these?

gotta match the primary professions, other than that they're all the same

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

gotta match the primary professions, other than that they're all the same

That could make it slightly more difficult, since i have no Rit's yet :(

96058.png?1619393207
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular

Other than the RoJ monk, I think 7-hero support is best suited for a caster player. I run a variation of it, with a BiP N/Rt healer in place of the RoJ monk and with the healing skills removed from the SoS Rt making it a full Channeling spammer/nuker. Almost every character build could use the dual Mesmer/dual Ritualist midline, however, as the interrupts, armor-ignoring AoE, and spirits provided are simply too powerful to ignore.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I'm playing through this with me on a paragon and my girl on a Ranger. Any recommendations for a lower level setup? We've run nightfall far enough to get the 2nd priest, and EOTN we've beat the Ebon Vanguard path and got the necto from the toothy gnomes. Lack of skills seems to be our bane - our only elite is Barrage, and the skills for sale so far are not really sparking any ideas.
    If I buy a skill for my necro character, will my paragon's necros have it unlocked too?

Madpoet wrote: »
    I'm playing through this with me on a paragon and my girl on a Ranger. Any recommendations for a lower level setup? We've run nightfall far enough to get the 2nd priest, and EOTN we've beat the Ebon Vanguard path and got the necto from the toothy gnomes. Lack of skills seems to be our bane - our only elite is Barrage, and the skills for sale so far are not really sparking any ideas.
    If I buy a skill for my necro character, will my paragon's necros have it unlocked too?

yeah your heroes have every skill that you've ever had on your ACCOUNT

EVER

including ones you unlock from PvP

so i would recommend playing some PvP (fort aspenwood is fun and gives lots of rewards) and unlocking elite skills for your heroes

Cool, that will make things easier. I have all my character slots full of present gathering peoples, but I can run a few of them through the game and gather skills for my main.
    I'm thinking I'll run Paragon/Mesmer and bring 3 discord necros, then have her bring 2 barrage rangers and a healer. I'll spike down important mobs and let her aoe the rest.

edited March 2012
    Just one thing: PvE skills cannot be placed on your heroes, only your own skillbar. Also, you'll want one semi-protter or full protter and two semi-healers on your team. One healer isn't able to heal everyone quickly enough, and if that healer dies you don't want it to prelude a wipe.

I definitely second the Fort Aspenwood/Jade Quarry idea. They give you so much Imperial and Balthazar Faction (especially when they're the Zaishen Combat quests, when it's easier to get a game going) that you'll be unlocking a skill every 10-15 minutes. You'll also want to get the 2000 Balthazar Faction available each day from the Zaishen Challenges (make a trapper, use the 60 seconds prep time to lay 4-5 traps, lol as the enemy AI runs into them and dies horribly).

Darklyre on
    I'll have to try that. Just deleted my dervish to free up a pvp char. If I unlock discord (pvp) does it unlock the pve version?

Madpoet wrote: »
    I'll have to try that. Just deleted my dervish to free up a pvp char. If I unlock discord (pvp) does it unlock the pve version?

yes

Darklyre wrote: »

Other than the RoJ monk, I think 7-hero support is best suited for a caster player. I run a variation of it, with a BiP N/Rt healer in place of the RoJ monk and with the healing skills removed from the SoS Rt making it a full Channeling spammer/nuker. Almost every character build could use the dual Mesmer/dual Ritualist midline, however, as the interrupts, armor-ignoring AoE, and spirits provided are simply too powerful to ignore.

I've had good luck with it on a Dervish too, except for when I get snared. I've been looking at ways to update the setup I'm using for more melee support, but as it is it works great for Vanquishing, with my only deaths being due to like 3-4 groups attacking at once (such as the Kourna forts in their territory).

On that note...I just realized yesterday (after having vanquished 11 areas in Elona) that you can grab multiple bounties...d'oh. I had only bee grabbing one in each zone thinking the overwrote each other for some odd reason. Lots of lost rep there =/ Might end up having to grind out a little sunspear rank in the end.

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    edited March 2012
    How hard is the second rit hero to get these days?

Back when I was last looking at it you couldn't very well use a hero to go into that area as they'd get destroied and no one wanted a Paragon on their team.

Seidkona on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I've had good luck with it on a Dervish too, except for when I get snared. I've been looking at ways to update the setup I'm using for more melee support, but as it is it works great for Vanquishing, with my only deaths being due to like 3-4 groups attacking at once (such as the Kourna forts in their territory).

On that note...I just realized yesterday (after having vanquished 11 areas in Elona) that you can grab multiple bounties...d'oh. I had only bee grabbing one in each zone thinking the overwrote each other for some odd reason. Lots of lost rep there =/ Might end up having to grind out a little sunspear rank in the end.

Where are the Elona bounties?

What is this I don't even.
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Every rez shrine should have a relevant dude offering a bounty. Usually a sunspear guard, or an acolyte of whispers, or a ghost, or whatever. The wiki's usually got maps for each zone showing the bounty-giver locations and which bounty they're for.

Entaru wrote: »

Back when I was last looking at it you couldn't very well use a hero to go into that area as they'd get destroied and no one wanted a Paragon on their team.
    Not that hard. I've done it multiple times with just a team of heroes. Just do the relevant quest. At least I assume you're talking about Razah.

It's worth noting Razah can actually be any class now. Especially relevant now that you can acquire a second rit from hard mode Winds of Change. You can make him an E surge mesmer or something, which can be fun.

edited March 2012
    Entriech wrote: »

Every rez shrine should have a relevant dude offering a bounty. Usually a sunspear guard, or an acolyte of whispers, or a ghost, or whatever. The wiki's usually got maps for each zone showing the bounty-giver locations and which bounty they're for.

Should note that the Bounties are hard mode only, the res shrine people won't give them to you in NM (normal mode).

BTW, don't be afraid to use some Henchman early on (even fairly far into a campaign) - just because you have several heroes doesn't mean you *have* to use a full 7 hero team. While you can't pick what skill the Henchies have, they can be more useful than Heroes early on at times since you often won't have many skills available to slot with the Heroes.

steejee on

Should note that the Bounties are hard mode only, the res shrine people won't give them to you in NM (normal mode).

That's not precisely true. They will stop giving them to you in normal mode once you reach a certain rank level with the relevant faction. See http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Bounty for more details.

That's not precisely true. They will stop giving them to you in normal mode once you reach a certain rank level with the relevant faction. See http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Bounty for more details.

Man, I missed more free rep than I realized...d'oh. Given that I typically didn't meander too much on my campaign playthrough that probably didn't hurt me too much though.

edited March 2012

Not that hard. I've done it multiple times with just a team of heroes. Just do the relevant quest. At least I assume you're talking about Razah.

It's worth noting Razah can actually be any class now. Especially relevant now that you can acquire a second rit from hard mode Winds of Change. You can make him an E surge mesmer or something, which can be fun.

Yep, Razah. I currently have the Rit from EOTN and need to pick up my second one. looks like that's my goal for tonight.

Rit's are too good as heroes to not have two of them.

Seidkona on

Ohhhh, those. Yeah, I've been getting those. I was thinking you meant a bounty board, like Zaishen or WiK.

How hard is Glint's challenge? Unlocked it last night and wondering if I can even try it right now. Running dicsord, a smite monk, rupt-Gwen and vekk the "set everyone ever on fire" build. I know I need to bring Winter to make Vekk do cold instead of fire.

Ohhhh, those. Yeah, I've been getting those. I was thinking you meant a bounty board, like Zaishen or WiK.

How hard is Glint's challenge? Unlocked it last night and wondering if I can even try it right now. Running dicsord, a smite monk, rupt-Gwen and vekk the "set everyone ever on fire" build. I know I need to bring Winter to make Vekk do cold instead of fire.

Glint's isn't too bad. I used to run it with a discord team, two mesmers, a smite monk and an sogm rit. Give it a shot on normal mode and see what you think. By far the most dangerous part is during the second set of waves, IMO, when the destroyers of compassion show up. Prioritize them, and don't stray too far from the baby dragon in later wave sets, as you'll get some popups that don't strictly come from the two corridors.

Also make sure you're rolling with a minion master in there of some type (typical in discord, of course). The meat shield is necessary to stop the destroyers of compassion from rolling right into your squishy caster group and murdalizing them.

edited March 2012

It's not trivial, but there's a hero setup that can conceivably let you afk it: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5563998&postcount=204 (alright so it *can be* trivial if you can do that setup completely)

Given that I didn't want to spend the money to put +hp stuff on everyone, I had to help and did lose sometimes, but I won the majority of the time that I actually tried to win. Typically my losses came when a destroyer of lives appeared further away from the heroes and another one was still active.

steejee on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    So, what's the best way to jump in now-a-days? I have the 3-pack. Should I load up Prophecies and run through, or should I try and get some of these Heroes I have heard about?

I'm not adverse to picking up Eye of the North if it provides a better starting place, but that content seems to start around level 12.

edited March 2012
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    So, what's the best way to jump in now-a-days? I have the 3-pack. Should I load up Prophecies and run through, or should I try and get some of these Heroes I have heard about?

I'm not adverse to picking up Eye of the North if it provides a better starting place, but that content seems to start around level 12.

Start with Nightfall - heroes, best overall experience as far as story and voiceacting is concern, overall just the most refined. I'd do EotN second if you buy it (Hall of Monuments is early in EotN so you can always make a quick detour once you hit 20 in Nightfall to get it started), and then Factions/Prophecies last (Factions is pretty short). Can be worth starting a Prophecies character later just to see pre-searing Ascalon, though it's nothing spectacular.

steejee on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

Start with Nightfall - heroes, best overall experience as far as story and voiceacting is concern, overall just the most refined. I'd do EotN second if you buy it (Hall of Monuments is early in EotN so you can always make a quick detour once you hit 20 in Nightfall to get it started), and then Factions/Prophecies last (Factions is pretty short). Can be worth starting a Prophecies character later just to see pre-searing Ascalon, though it's nothing spectacular.

Cool, thanks. I did play a bit at launch, but I'd long since forgotten my account info, so I'm just starting new.

I know that HoM gives bonuses to you future GW2 characters, but what is it exactly? A place to view 'chevios and stuff?

Cool, thanks. I did play a bit at launch, but I'd long since forgotten my account info, so I'm just starting new.

I know that HoM gives bonuses to you future GW2 characters, but what is it exactly? A place to view 'chevios and stuff?

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards is the most comprehensive overview of it (and how to fill it). Ingame, it's basically an instance where you can display items/statues (statues of heroes/some pets, titles, armor sets) and some storylines in EotN and Beyond pass through it.

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Starting gear and other cool trinkets when the game comes out.

You can still earn them after the game comes out, in case you're not interested at the moment. I would suggest getting anything having to deal with other players done first, though.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321

For what it's worth, support has been extremely helpful in restoring lost/old accounts provided you have some way of identifying them. For example, all I had was my Factions CD key, but that was good enough to get my account restored. If you've got any idea of a character name on the account, your CD Key, etc, it might be worth a shot.

If only to reap the sweet birthday present rewards.

edited March 2012
    At 18/30 now and things are looking up. Didn't get to Razah last night because I'll definitely need a better hero build to go in there and do that. it's not impossible but my heroes are just built for completing the game and not doing challenging things.

A group of us did rock Glint's Challenge after a few tries and the hero armor is what put me at 18.

Seidkona on
    At 18/30 now and things are looking up. Didn't get to Razah last night because I'll definitely need a better hero build to go in there and do that. it's not impossible my hero's are just built for completing the game and not doing challenging things.

A group of us did rock Glint's Challenge after a few tries and the hero armor is what put me at 18.

Glint's was.... challenging. Once we got it we got it alright, though. I wouldn't want to do it without a couple humans like we had, heroes are just too dumb.

About a month ago I came back to the game. I had a level 20 ranger who had just ascended, and access to two accounts worth of mini-pets. Now I have 21 HOM points, with another in sight. Feeling pretty good. Original target was 20, now I'm gunning for 25.

At 18/30 now and things are looking up. Didn't get to Razah last night because I'll definitely need a better hero build to go in there and do that. it's not impossible my hero's are just built for completing the game and not doing challenging things.

Glint's was.... challenging. Once we got it we got it alright, though. I wouldn't want to do it without a couple humans like we had, heroes are just too dumb.

About a month ago I came back to the game. I had a level 20 ranger who had just ascended, and access to two accounts worth of mini-pets. Now I have 21 HOM points, with another in sight. Feeling pretty good. Original target was 20, now I'm gunning for 25.

Way to lap me. :)

Way to lap me. :)

I think to lap you I'd have to level a second account.

Fair enough.

I think I am giving up on the AoD healers. They work ok but I think better can be done.

Try four ritualists
    It's totally a good idea for real

For

Real

Try four ritualists

For

Real

We did so well with them yesterday. :P

Actually, I don't want to blame your rits. We were still splitting up at that point, and they might have played out better if we'd concentrated around babby dragon.

Try four ritualists

For

Real

We did so well with them yesterday. :P

Actually, I don't want to blame your rits. We were still splitting up at that point, and they might have played out better if we'd concentrated around babby dragon.

I really think that was a larger issue than the Rits, to be honest.

When we split up we really brought the rit and my effectiveness down quite a bit because the two groups were outside of the beneficial range of the other. Imbagon ain't so Imba if half the team's out of shout range. Multiply that by the Rit spirit range and you have why we failed the first few times.

• QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    I didn't find Glint's Challenge too daunting in NM. I ran it last night with Heroes and completed it on my first try. I did almost lose the dragon on the third wave when destroyers start popping up inside the cavern and I wasn't paying enough attention while I chased other ones down. I think it's key to flag heroes near the dragon and let the destroyers come to you.

Fair enough.

I think I am giving up on the AoD healers. They work ok but I think better can be done.

AoD healers are really meant to be paired with Shelter and minion masters (not bombers). Shelter cuts down the incoming damage to the party to multiple small packets while AoD pumps small packets of healing out on a regular basis, plus AoD heals allies as well so minions are almost immune to their innate health degeneration. Don't use Death Nova with it, though, because the minions don't die regularly enough for the bombs to be consistent.