The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Looking for a new mmo for a few months

MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
I am looking for an mmo I can just download and start paying the subscription fee because I'm starting uni soon and need to save for books. I can't afford the 80 dollar (au) box and I know there are mmos out there that do this.
Conditions are that the game must be simple to start and end, ie if I need to go, 15 seconds max to log out with no harm to my character. Log in, stand up, lets go do shit. Content in between fun but time consuming not really an issue, so long as I can log out without my character dying, dropping all their items, or having some sort of big mess they have to clean up first (hauling ore in eve after mining is a good example) that takes longer than a minute.
That's just the situation I'm in at the moment.
I'd get vanguard but cant afford the box. :(
I hear saga of ryzom got new owners, how did the game fare? I may try that out again but want to know how it is currently first.
I just stopped playing eve because it could not fulfill the above conditions. (not because it wasnt a great, awesome, orgasmic mmo, it was just a bit of a 5 minute delay or longer thing between I'm playing and suddenly need to leave and actually being able to without coming back to serious setbacks.) Life is a bit unpredictable right now.
Other than ryzom, I can't think of any. Anyone know of any download, pay sub and play mmos that are decent? Only has to last me a few months.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
Morninglord on

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think you have to pay for a CoX code any way you start it, but CoH at least and probably CoV at this point are going to be pretty cheap, possibly even less than the cost of a month's sub. It definitly fits casual play though, missions are usually only 20ish minutes long and the worst that'll happen is if you log off halfway through you have to start the mission over.

Scooter on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    CoX has a free trial right now, check the Chatter thread for details.
    If you want to play on US servers I'd be willing to pick up a CoH/V box and just e-mail you the CD key. I can get CoV for about $17 and that would include the first month free. I can probably rustle up CoH for the same price which would give you another free month. I'd suggest giving the trial a go first, though.

Accualt on
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    CoX has a free trial right now, check the Chatter thread for details.
    If you want to play on US servers I'd be willing to pick up a CoH/V box and just e-mail you the CD key. I can get CoV for about $17 and that would include the first month free. I can probably rustle up CoH for the same price which would give you another free month. I'd suggest giving the trial a go first, though.

That would be incredibly nice of you. I'd pay you back for it of course and that would be around 25 us i think which isn't that bad. (I paid about that for my first month of eve via paybycash. :( )
    I shall have to give the trial a go since I've never played the game. It pretty much has coasted by completely under my radar.
    Turns out I have 1 gb left on my quota and its a 2gig file so it'll have to wait till the 8th. :(

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't afford the 80 dollar (au) box and I know there are mmos out there that do this.

$80? Sweet zombie jeebus, you guys get raped on game prices.

I know you can buy a serial code for CoH/V directly from their website, but Accualt's offer is probably cheaper.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Corvus wrote:
    I can't afford the 80 dollar (au) box and I know there are mmos out there that do this.

$80? Sweet zombie jeebus, you guys get raped on game prices.

I know you can buy a serial code for CoH/V directly from their website, but Accualt's offer is probably cheaper.

That's like 50 us.

Morninglord on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Scooter wrote:
    I think you have to pay for a CoX code any way you start it, but CoH at least and probably CoV at this point are going to be pretty cheap, possibly even less than the cost of a month's sub. It definitly fits casual play though, missions are usually only 20ish minutes long and the worst that'll happen is if you log off halfway through you have to start the mission over.

When I joined after doing a free trial, I never bought a code. Never bought a box until CoV was released. Don't know if that was some sort of error on their part though.

CyberJackal on