As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP] War of the Burning Sky OOC (Serious Revelations! Seriously!)

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mmmm, supper

Edit: only one more ceilling collapse to go before I can leave the building, falling wood has a better initiative than me! lol

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Bp1580Bp1580 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mmmm, supper

Great moments in D&D history; a bunch of adventurers sitting in the open street eating horse outside of a flaming wreck of a pub, bombs dropping around them as one of them passes the salt...

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shouldn't Traorin be up next?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ya, just woke up and posted. (9 O'clock here on the Pacific coast). Man, Traorin got beat up all kinds of bad.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fixed that up skar.

I also realised their was a problem with the initiative block. Areneth's got a 7, so he can go as well bfore the last ceiling collapses.

Once he's out, Post-Battle details will be posted, as well as your first share of XP (Torrent doesn't gain XP, since she is a Companion Character).

Also: Congrats on surviving your 1st 'easy' encounter everyone.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Fixed that up skar.

I also realised their was a problem with the initiative block. Areneth's got a 7, so he can go as well bfore the last ceiling collapses.

Once he's out, Post-Battle details will be posted, as well as your first share of XP (Torrent doesn't gain XP, since she is a Companion Character).

Also: Congrats on surviving your 1st 'easy' encounter everyone.

Yes! We did it! Sure, for me "it" was running away a lot and missing hilariously a few times, but at least the ceiling only fell on me once! :P

Now for an unrelated question: do propaganda posters (like the "WE HAVE NO FEAR -- DO YOU? JOIN THE RAGESIAN ARMY!" kind) exist in this campaign? If yes, how do you have them made?

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't think they exist in the game world (there isn't a single one in the Campaign Guide), but if they did, they'd probably look more or less like Soviet Propaganda during the Cold War era (just Google "soviet propaganda poster", you'll find a ton of different ones that might strike you fancy. Just replace the common worker/soldier with a Half-Orc or something).

In fact, most of the empires of Ragesia (the world) are similiar to real-world counterparts (well, in my opinion AFAIK):

Ragesia - Soviet Russia
    Shahalesti- Pre-French Revolution France
    Dassen - More or less England
    Sindaire - Germany or Austria of sorts
    Ostalin - Mongolia (During the time of Genghis Khan)

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't think they exist in the game world (there isn't a single one in the Campaign Guide), but if they did, they'd probably look more or less like Soviet Propaganda during the Cold War era (just Google "soviet propaganda poster", you'll find a ton of different ones that might strike you fancy. Just replace the common worker/soldier with a Half-Orc or something).

In fact, most of the empires of Ragesia (the world) are similiar to real-world counterparts (well, in my opinion AFAIK):

Ragesia - Soviet Russia
    Shahalesti- Pre-French Revolution France
    Dassen - More or less England
    Sindaire - Germany or Austria of sorts
    Ostalin - Mongolia (During the time of Genghis Khan)

Wow, I never looked at it that way! I wonder if Shahalesti will ever have its revolution (or is that plot point)? I might say that current day Ragesia seems a bit more like Nazi Germany than Soviet Russia, though (hunting the mages, bombing cities like crazy, secret police coming for people in the night). I guess the writers at Wizards need to take inspiration from somewhere, right?

On the topic of propaganda posters: would it be too much of a stretch to say they exist? Not that they line the walls of Ragesia and Dassen or anything, but just that they exist. I have an idea that can only work if they can be produced, but it's not that important to me :P

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In fact, current day Ragesia could be linked to Nazi Germany, except for two things:
    - They do not repress an ethical minority (unless you replace them with mages, but there's a reason for their capture/deaths in the campaign)
    - They were not actively seeking to agressively expand their borders UNTIL the Emperor's rumoured death, in which case, they have started.

Also, regarding WOTBS, it wasn't developed by Wizards (they made that sub-standard Scales of War AP [Adventure Path] a few years back, but haven't made another one yet). It was actually developed by EN Publishing, a third-party developer.

Other good APs include the Paizo's Pathfinder ones (of which I'm running two here), but aren't in 4th Edition versions. Pity, because they have some really good storylines.

In related news, they're currently making a WOTBS MMO game. Nothing spectacular, though I heartily recommend watching the Cinematic trailer (if only cause it looks even more bad-ass than the PnP one):

War of the Burning SKy Trailer 2.0

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Now that combat's over, I just want to hear who spent any daily powers in this fight.

I know Torrent used her Bless, so no extra attack bonuses for you (until you guys get an extended rest).

Edit: Also, how many Healing Surges does each one have left?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I didn't use any dailies this round of combat, but I will nab one of those healing words you rolled if I may. That's my surge +4 right?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I didn't use any dailies this round of combat, but I will nab one of those healing words you rolled if I may. That's my surge +4 right?

Yup, and you spend a healing surge in the process.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Didn't use my daily. Used 2 surges, so I have 5 left and am at full hit points

All the chaos is probably going to be good for us. We'll likely be able to slip out of the walls during some confusion, especially under the cover of darkness.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Didnt use any dailies or surges yet.

If you want a heal from me, it's 1d6 + 4 + surge value.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Titania's gone through both her daily and an Action point as well as 3 surges now that she's spent one after the battle.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have yet to use my dailies or any of my surges, and I'll heal Squishy if he wants it.

Edit: If Titania wants teh healz then have her come up to me and ask about the battle. Inspiring Word FTW!

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Didn't use any dailies or surges yet either. Dorn has taken slightly more damage than one surge will cover, though, so I'd be happy to get a heal from you, skarsol, if it's not going to cost you anything.

Turanos on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Turanos and skarsol's been a bit quiet IC lately...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Some weekends I don't post a lot. IC post within the hour.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I was waiting to do my post until I knew if I was going to be healed by skarsol, as I don't think I'll need to do more than one post since everyone is ready to move on.

Turanos on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For heals, I'm assuming from your wording TiamatZ that we're allowed to use Encounter powers freely during non-Encounters? (Healing Word in specific)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    skarsol wrote: »
    For heals, I'm assuming from your wording TiamatZ that we're allowed to use Encounter powers freely during non-Encounters? (Healing Word in specific)

Yes indeed skar. Outside of combat, Encounter powers are considered powers with 5-minute (IC) cooldowns.

Soooo, provided you guys don't get jumped in less than 5 minutes. you can expend encounter powers during a short rest without completely expending them.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okey Dokey, the fix is in, Turanos. :P You spend a surge.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As of Summer's heal, Dorn is at full health again with 6 surges remaining. He has not used his daily.

Turanos on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm gonna be unable to post from Tuesday to late Friday/early Saturday. I can still post today, though, and I'll can still read the two threads and update my twitter from my phone (which can't use text formatting, so I can't post here from it).

EDIT: might be able to post once in response to whatever TiamatZ/Torrent says early tomorrow, but after than I can't.

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Are we still waiting on a PC or is everyone ready?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ouch! Areneth needs to start learning how to get out of the way!

Post is up.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Its tomorrow/ today, and sadly I've already left. I could post if you guys didn't mind the lack of flashy gold text and what not, but I can't do combat (can't see my sheet, roll on IC, etc.)

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Get your post on. Edit in the color later. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Looks like we're probably out of combat for the next couple of cycles, so just post up whatever you can. No need for flashy text.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What kind of roll can I make if I'm trying to get the crowd into some semblance of order amongst the chaos?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Not necessarily... from the Complete Guide

"If they want to stop and try to make a difference, you should let them, but the pervading sense here should be one of almost helplessness —chaos is raging around them, and there’s nothing they can do to affect the battle."

So I doubt it would help, but a Diplomacy Check of DC 25(DC 15 + 10 since they're considered Hostile during this) from yourself could be in order...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Every time someone mentions the depository my head fills with cartoons. :(

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Would Areneth's Darkvision give him anymore detail about the room in general, or the figure at the top of the ramp (with just a passive perception), since shadows wouldn't affect him?

Also, Arcana check for determining the origin of the torch flames is 26. Let me know what that gets me, and I'll work it into my post.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any chance of us "Acquiring" the torch as we leave or is it part of the statue? I mean, you never know when a currently non functioning fireball generator would come in handy.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Any chance of us "Acquiring" the torch as we leave or is it part of the statue? I mean, you never know when a currently non functioning fireball generator would come in handy.

No, it's affixed to the statue.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is Peppin a name we've heard before? Is Torrent expecting us to lead the discussion with her contact?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is Peppin a name we've heard before? Is Torrent expecting us to lead the discussion with her contact?

Peppin is the murdered contact that I guess we're taking the place of. Since Rivereye has never met Peppin, I guess he wouldn't know exactly who that person is.

TiamatZ - was Rivereye directing his comments to anyone in particular. I notice he said "You brought bodyguards", so I'm guessing whomever he was directing that at is who he thinks is Peppin.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

No, it's affixed to the statue.

So any chance of us "acquiring" the statue, then? :lol:

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Illianthar wrote: »

Peppin is the murdered contact that I guess we're taking the place of. Since Rivereye has never met Peppin, I guess he wouldn't know exactly who that person is.

TiamatZ - was Rivereye directing his comments to anyone in particular. I notice he said "You brought bodyguards", so I'm guessing whomever he was directing that at is who he thinks is Peppin.

That is for you to decide. He could be talking to anyone. But then again, those who are more... insightful might know something...

Hint:
    His normal contact, Peppin Tallman, a human wizard from Lyceum, occasionally passed information to the resistance, but was found dead a week ago.

TiamatZ on