Options

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I love that Slott only did Big Time because he knew he was going to kill off Peter Parker and wanted it to sting just a little more.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really doubt he knew he was going to be able to do Superior when he got Big Time

That is Hickman levels of pre planning and most other writers at Marvel think he is a madman

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    slott claimed he always intended on doing this story

• Options
    I can definitely see him having the idea, I mean the dude has a Dr. Who/Spidey crossover written JUST IN CASE, but editorial okaying it back in 2010 seems waaay in advance.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    1-2 years out sounds about right for Marvel planning.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, in the interview I heard, he said that Spider-Island only happened because Marvel corporate was chomping for an event and they were like "oh, you were going to kill of Spidey, right? Let's do that now" and he wasn't done laying the groundwork, so he asked whether he could get a stay if he came up with an event just as good by the next day. Then he went home and brainstormed with a friend like mad untill they came up with Spider-Island.

e: Here's the interview - it's pretty interesting.

Legba on
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Spider-man has always been pretty high n the strength power scale, with his inexperience and youth indicating he could become even stronger as he aged.
    He pulls his blows most of the time, but an angry Petey is a scary Petey.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    so what are the odds of slott using the surviving mvp clone at some point before his run ends

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    He created those characters didn't he?

So uh... maybe?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Honestly, if those dudes ever show up again it'll probably be as cannon fodder.

Like if all the knock-off Spider-Men team up to take down Spock, they'll be the first to go.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm necroing this thread, but it's only been a few weeks since the last update. It's still on page 2, so it's more like putting it on life support, right?

Anyway, I have enjoyed the heck out of the last two issues of Superior. Something about the 90's Spidey fan in me will always love Spider-Man and Venom stories, even if it's Spock and Flash instead of Peter and Brock.

Haven't read 700.1 yet, but I guess at this point I'm not really craving a Peter Parker story until he comes back for real.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I'm a few months behind, but I'm glad you said that "for real" bit. I just caught wind of 700.1 and was all sorts of confused.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I skipped 700.1

Really, I know it has it's many naysayers but apart from a couple issues here and there I been loving Slott's entire run. It's his Big Time that got me buying comics again.

As crazy and stupid as the idea of Spock was, it's been a great read so far.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Ramos drawing Spider-Man and Venom is just pure joy for me

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    Agreed. While I agree with previous assertions that Ramos' art can be really hit or miss, I feel it almost always compliments Spidey so well, especially Slott's Spidey which has been consistently fun even when they're doing things that seem to turn Spidey's world upside down.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Okay, just got the Grim Hunt trade, and some questions pop up:
    Why the heck are Spider-man & co getting hit at all by Little Girl Kraven and Kraven Jr.? Are they superhuman?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Thinking about getting my brother in-law this book as a Christmas gift.

Bad Idea? Good Idea? Alternatives?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Excellent idea, those are fantastic Spider-Man comics.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Sweet! I'm trying to avoid getting him something that's split up into multiple books. If I did that it would appear as though I'm saying "Here's the first part, buy the rest yourself."

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    April Preview / Solicits spoilers
    YtXZPKE.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Saw that coming. The real question is
    if Otto sticks around in some capacity as the Superior Spider-Man.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Spock looks really happy!!!!

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    As much as I liked Big Time and everything that's come from it, the post OMD high point for me was Grim Hunt, but I suppose that leads into Big Time and Scarlet Spider. It's all good, but I guess its the darker story and some of the high points from after OMD that really got me interested. The Gauntlet and that random Hammerhead two-parter were both up there too. Almost made the trog through Brand New Day worthwhile.

I don't really know what my point is. I guess I was hoping for a break from Ramos for this. Just a break.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Ramos seems to be doing more and more creator owned stuff for Boom!, so he might be cutting back unless Marvel fronts mo' money, yo.

• Options
    Did you look at the spoiler?
    Cause Ramos' name is right there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    right,b ut he might be dialing back, like Stegman did. Lead arc, a three parter after a fill-in, and then fall back to creator work.

• Options
    There's no reason to assume that though other than "maybe he will do this"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, when people were saying that
    They'd bring back Peter in time for Amazing Spider-Man 2; I didn't think it'd be this blatant.

• Options
    He has had a long run on Spider-Man (probably the same as a normal shipping book, 10-12 issues a year for what, three years?), and his fairy tale book with Jenkins seemed to pay off, so like other bigger name creators he might have realized he can safely move on, either to creator owned or another Marvel (even DC? ha) book.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    really, my only issue with that is
    Slott's still writing it. I like what he's done, don't get me wrong, but I am beyond ready for someone else to step in.

Someone else named Matt Fraction.

• Options
    Merlin the TunaMerlin the Tuna Registered User regular
    I'm kind of excited by the timing.
    I've been hoping for a while that Miles jumping over to 616 - whether just for Cataclysm or long-term - would be either the factor or a major factor in Spock's inevitable downfall. It would really make for a nice bit of closure on that particular angle of his story: gets his start being inspired by Ultimate Peter's death, gets the endorsement of 616 Peter, and then saves the day for 616 Peter. It's not quite the same as bailing out your hero figure, but it's pretty close. With Peter returning as early as March, the timeline feels close-ish to working out.

Fair warning that I haven't read today's Cataclysm releases though, so there is tons of room for me to be 100% wrong here.

• Options
    It looks like you are not exactly in the right.
    Miles heads to the 616 and gets the crap beaten out of him by Reed's security system. He actually runs into Spock on his way out and thinks it is Peter but doesn't say anything to him. He then heads back home.

It looks like Miles is not coming to the main Marvel Universe, but we will know for sure on Friday.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    April Preview / Solicits spoilers
    YtXZPKE.jpg

Yay he's so happy cause he and Anna Maria are getting married and Pete's consciousness was lost forever!

I am blind and deaf to all other options

Then I'll cry when every other option happens instead!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So... he's happy that Ock will have ruined his life at this point?

Also, man this is blatant. And fuck huge spoilers like this.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I understand the why re: timing, but that doesn't make it taste any better.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    While its probably true that slott likely had to bring him back for the movie it's obvious he knew about it and has built his story with that in mind. This was always the natural end. So whatevs

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I hope Pete returns, sees Ock doing well as Spidey, SNAPS , becomes the new Doc Ock, Spockerman takes him down

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I hope Pete returns, sees Ock doing well as Spidey, SNAPS , becomes the new Doc Ock, Spockerman takes him down
    Well Spock is doing terribly so

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    My thoughts are this is how it's going to go:
    During the goblin wars Osborn figures out (if he doesn't already know) that Ock is in Peter's body. He's not thrilled by the idea of killing his greatest enemy when it isn't actually him. Golden spider-bot shows up or Norman has gotten it somehow and he figures a way to swap em back so he can kill Peter. Peter soooo happy to be back has the strength or whatever to beat Norman (or with help from other heroes) and saves the day.