As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Does this mean that when Peter comes back he'll be missing a bunch of memories? Or will they be restored somehow (likely through that brain scan having somehow survived)?
    Since originally all of Peter seemed destroyed to the point he couldn't remember his own name I won't be surprised if his other memories are not truly gone but just unreachable.

Even though I'm still sure it's wrong, this reinforces my hunch a little more
    But the placement of
    The Ghost Pete scenes in the most recent Superior, I'm getting the strangest feeling, he's not in Ock's head, he's in whoever is the Goblin.

I considered that but
    Pete says that he only remembers the memories that Spock experienced. Why would that be true if he's not in his head?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Does this mean that when Peter comes back he'll be missing a bunch of memories? Or will they be restored somehow (likely through that brain scan having somehow survived)?
    Since originally all of Peter seemed destroyed to the point he couldn't remember his own name I won't be surprised if his other memories are not truly gone but just unreachable.

But the placement of
    The Ghost Pete scenes in the most recent Superior, I'm getting the strangest feeling, he's not in Ock's head, he's in whoever is the Goblin.

I considered that but
    Pete says that he only remembers the memories that Spock experienced. Why would that be true if he's not in his head?

Well he only
    Remembers the ones Spock kept for himself, because Spock really had no happy memories so he kept a couple and fanfictioned himself into them instead and didn't wipe them out..so those and his core are all he was left with when he made a hail mary jump to a new body

His whole reappearance never seems to directly relate to any of the most recent ock memories, just the stuff from directly before/after the subconscious defeat

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Double Post

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular

But the placement of

I considered that but

Well he only
    Remembers the ones Spock kept for himself, because Spock really had no happy memories so he kept a couple and fanfictioned himself into them instead and didn't wipe them out..so those and his core are all he was left with when he made a hail mary jump to a new body

His whole reappearance never seems to directly relate to any of the most recent ock memories, just the stuff from directly before/after the subconscious defeat

I kind of agree with that too also:
    didn't we see the gold octobot leaving the hospital before norman's disappearance

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular

But the placement of
    Except he "helped" Spock get out of the symbiote in issue 25.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Know what would be funny as shit? If Ock also imprinted his consciousness on Osborn. So he will end up fighting himself

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Know what would be funny as shit? If Ock also imprinted his consciousness on Osborn. So he will end up fighting himself

Damnit, I want this to happen.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You know what would be funny
    if ghost Pete didn't actually exist.. He's just a manifestation of Ock's guilt.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
  • Options
    Funny unusual, not funny ha-ha. :P

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    You know what would be funny
    if ghost Pete didn't actually exist.. He's just a manifestation of Ock's guilt.

Gillen just did that in Young Avengers though

• Options
    Mr_RichardMr_Richard Registered User regular
    this is all going to end in just as disappointing a manner as it has proceeded. The ending of superior will disappoint spock and peter fans alike.
    it's weird, I was a huge fan of Slott's before he got onto ASM. His She-Hulk remains one of my favorite books, and I really wanted him to write Spider-Man again.
    Then he was in a rotation with Joe Kelly, Zeb Wells and Mark Waid, and I saw just how much he wasn't really the best choice.
    I enjoyed a lot of things that happened during his run, but the writing itself of those events was always a little... underwhelming. The procession of events never really seemed natural. Like a poor man's Tom Defalco.

Superior is all of Dan's flaws as a writer magnified. Spock as writer's pet has been so embarassingly transparent- #19 and #20 were two of the worst comic books I've ever read, and I've read the Haunted Vagina issue of Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose. And his Peter! It's so close and yet so egregiously, unacceptably far from being right.

And he's never going to leave. The ride never ends.

• Options
    Writers pet? Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with all of that. Superior has been great and Spock's entire storyline so far could be summed up as "and this is why Spock is worse then Peter at X".

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Writers pet? Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with all of that. Superior has been great and Spock's entire storyline so far could be summed up as "and this is why Spock is worse then Peter at X".

Actually, I think it's more like "Here's why Spock could be better at Peter at X, Y, and Z, but his ego and lack of empathy sooner or later make him worse", which is one of the things I like most about Superior.

A bunch of Spock's choices are things Peter should have had the ambition and common sense to do. Get over Mary Jane, finish his damn doctorate, and look into technological ways to make him a more efficient crime fighter. It's just that Spock takes those good ideas and fucks them all up due to his pride and lack of concern for anyone except for a handful of people he cares about.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I've quite enjoyed Superior Spider-Man. The biggest problem for me has been Ock not even trying to sound like Peter. I mean, the guy's personality is completely different, and somehow everyone isn't instantly like "okay something is seriously wrong here"..? Anyone who knew Peter even a little, let alone well, should have been incredibly confused and/or concerned about him. And not just the token remarks we sometimes saw about Pete not being himself or whatever. If one of my friends suddenly started talking and acting the way Peter's been acting, I would sure as hell notice. And I wouldn't just shrug and forget about it. Then of course there's the glaring issue of people who know both Peter and Spider-Man, who would notice that both of them suddenly have the same new personality.

It's still been a really fun ride, but this aspect has really bothered me.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Well, in Pete's defense, the whole way the "finish his doctorate" played out in Superior was absolutely absurd. That's not how doctoral programs work, at all.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Well some people have noticed.

MJ, Carlie, and Captain Watanabe have noticed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Well some people have noticed.

MJ, Carlie, and Captain Watanabe have noticed.

And even aunt may and her husband have noticed.

As have the avengers.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, a lot of them complaints loved at Superior is that no one notices the change, but it's been a constant story thread that people suspect something is off with Peter.

And really, how could anyone guess "Doc Ock took over his mind" ?

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I can write off people not noticing because of their exposure to Spock vs. ours as a reader. We see him in all panels and with inner monologue, so to us it's very obvious. Much like a horror movie where you're yelling at the screen "He's right behind you!" It's that sort of accepted blind spot the other characters in the sequences have that as a reader we can't.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, a lot of them complaints loved at Superior is that no one notices the change, but it's been a constant story thread that people suspect something is off with Peter.

And really, how could anyone guess "Doc Ock took over his mind" ?

Are there any Avengers who haven't been mind-controlled, brainwashed or possessed at some point? Seems like it would be high on the "things to look out for" list.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    All the tests have looked for skrull shape-shifting, physical doppelganger replacement, etc. But Spock's been very careful to steer clear of psychics, or anything else that deals in mental states.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Plus he took the Avengers' tests when Tony Stark wasn't around which apparently helped his cover.

• Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    All the tests have looked for skrull shape-shifting, physical doppelganger replacement, etc. But Spock's been very careful to steer clear of psychics, or anything else that deals in mental states.

They even check his mind for tampering but because Otto kept all of Peters memory they couldn't detect any problems.

Its been heavily implied that Tony could have but he was out in space at the time.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Superior Spider-Man #30 is everything Slott has been working towards since #700.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

He's also pretty lucky that at this time a lot of the major psychics are either dead, depowered or otherwise unavailable.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    So...according to that spread:
    did Peter recover all of his memories? That surely seemed a lot more than what he had.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

He's also pretty lucky that at this time a lot of the major psychics are either dead, depowered or otherwise unavailable.

The X-men have a few they can borrow.

• Options
    Well, the X-Men have had a bit of a full plate.

This really was the best oportunity for Oc to do this. Also up till Goblin War, he hadn't done anything that would have really warranted more after those initial tests.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

The X-men have a few they can borrow.

Yeah, see, Wolverine's X-Men did show up with Rachel to do just that, and than copped out when Spider-Ock objected, because someone being mind controlled would never object to having their mind read.

Just another Wolverine failure. :P

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well, Ock did bring up the ethical ramifications, especially in regard to a fellow hero who is trying to keep his identity a secret.

Acting a little fruity doesn't mean you lose your right to privacy.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    "My turn."

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So there was an 'undo' button on that machine? :|

I will say i enjoyed the run. And you knew the almighty 'status quo' would return.... but.... ctrl-c is a bit lame an ending.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I haven't read all of Slott's run, but I've enjoyed bits and pieces, this felt a bit anticlimatic to me.
    Like Spocks reason to do what he does didn't jive with me. It didn't feel like he was at the end of is rope, nor that he had been beaten down to the point of no return.

Maybe that's the point? That he can't take half of what Peter's taken before giving up? Still I would have prefer to seen him gone done swinging than 'give up' like he did.

• Options
    Yeah, I was really hoping that the big, epic ending to the whole Superior storyline would be more than just
    Otto stroking Peter's ego. Because, really, the idea that Peter Parker, Master Of Competence, would have been able to avoid this whole secret Goblin plan from coming to fruition because he's less of a jerk than Spock doesn't make even a tiny bit of sense to me.

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Yeah, I was really hoping that the big, epic ending to the whole Superior storyline would be more than just
    Otto stroking Peter's ego. Because, really, the idea that Peter Parker, Master Of Competence, would have been able to avoid this whole secret Goblin plan from coming to fruition because he's less of a jerk than Spock doesn't make even a tiny bit of sense to me.

RE: Ending the Superior storyline
    I think it was a good run but I'm mostly in the same boat as you. I was hoping for more of an epic "guns blazing, going down swinging" ending. Instead we got "I'm a huge jerk and this wouldn't have happened if you were running the show so now I'm going to CTRL+Z you back in to your body".

The final line of the book was pretty good, though.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options

Except that
    A reason that things got this bad was Spock's reliance on his spiderbots monitoring the city and constantly handing off things to the cops when he didn't deem it worth his time. Things wouldn't have escalated nearly this much with Peter.

Regarding the ending:
    I liked it. The whole run has been Spock trying to be a hero but constantly being brought down by his ego, so it was a nice character moment when he finally realizes it.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

Except that
    A reason that things got this bad was Spock's reliance on his spiderbots monitoring the city and constantly handing off things to the cops when he didn't deem it worth his time. Things wouldn't have escalated nearly this much with Peter.

Regarding the ending:
    I liked it. The whole run has been Spock trying to be a hero but constantly being brought down by his ego, so it was a nice character moment when he finally realizes it.

Ending
    I'm just left with a bit of a sour taste that the moral of this Spider-Man story seems to be "Once you realize your pride has led you to make a tragic mistake, you should kill yourself".

Because, you know, that's not really what I expect from a Spider-Man story.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

I will say i enjoyed the run. And you knew the almighty 'status quo' would return.... but.... ctrl-c is a bit lame an ending.

Copy?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Copy?

CRAP I mean X. D:

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."