As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wireless router without Internet connection?

HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Have a friend trying this and I have never done it so I need to ask...

Can you create a home network using a wireless router if the thing is not actually on the internet?

Basically he want to be able to use the router to remote desktop an old PC that is hosting his internet via a wireless modem. Sometimes this modem shutsdown due to an update or whatever and he then has to go to the closet where he keeps it to restart everything. He wants to be able to remote desktop into the "server" when the connection fails.

It has never occured to me to try this so its he has hit a hole in my knowledge...anybody tried? and if so how does it work?

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
Hawkstone on

• pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As long as the wireless router, his server and the computer he's remote desktoping from are on the same network it's simple. Of course without an internet connection there's no way to remote desktop in from the outside, say from his work. If he's just sitting around his house and on the wireless, then yeah it can be done.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here is the thing its not working for him and I am not sure why as I havent tried to do things in this configuration.

Basically he has a tower providing the internet to his home via an air card, this PC is connected to his wireless router that is then providing web access to various laptops etc....

When the Air card goes down he can't seem to get the laptops to remote desktop with the tower, I am assuming this is due to the router that is providing the signal for his laptop being pissy about the lack of Internet?

I get that this should all work in theory but it apparently doesn't...any thoughts as to why?

I value any and all feed back and hope I am explaining this clearly.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What is the local IP address of the tower-modem thing and what is the local IP address of the laptop he's trying to RDC in from?

BoomShake on
  • pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Without more information on how his local network is configured this is very difficult to diagnose. He has an air card in a tower picking up wireless internet from somewhere. How is this tower distributing network access to the LAN? Is there a second nic in the tower? Local LAN connectivity should not be affected by the outside WAN (internet) if it's setup properly.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0