As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First gaming console in almost 15 years...

VisserianVisserian Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all, got a question for you about the current generation of Consoles.

I recently decided to get back into playing Console games, after being a PC gamer for a long long time. The last time I owned a console system was during the SNES days. So naturally, I'm curious on which console I should get. If it helps back in the day, I use to be a huge fan of the Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior games(got myself a DS just to play the remakes), platformers, and metroidvania style games, and on the PC things like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Warcraft, basically anything BioWare or Blizzard touches.

So any good recommendations on which the 3 systems would be best to jump back into?

Visserian on

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A few questions:
    Do you have a decent gaming PC?
    Are you interested in multiplayer? If so, what do your friends own?

corky842 on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm biased but I love the 360. When it came time for me to get a console (I was a PC gamer since pre-8 bit Nintendo) I went with the one my friends had.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They all have positives and negatives.

XBox - Good selection of games, have to pay to use them online, decent RPG availability. Kinect motion control system if you're into that kind of thing.

PS3 - Blu Ray. Good selection of games, don't have to pay to use them online, but service lacks some of Xbox Live's functionality (I think free is > Xbox Live though because most of the extra stuff that you can do on XBL is just fluff and I don't care to measure my epeen against other people with a bunch of stats). Has some solid RPG's, most are available on XBox (and PC) though, as well. Has Move motion control system if you're into that kind of thing.

Wii - Nintendo first party games. Worse graphics. More classic games available for download.

They can all do Netflix and have other apps.

It comes down to a choice of what games you want. If you want to try, say, Demon's Soul, Final Fantasy or White Knight Chronicles, you'll have to buy a PS3. If you want any number of RPGish games first, get the Xbox (for example, Mass Effect took forever to come to PS3). Xbox also has Fable, which some people dig. The Wii has a Zelda and other RPG's plus some older ones for download as classics.

badpoet on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are you planning to continue PC gaming too? Most big games that are released on the 360 or PS3 are going to also be released on PC at the same time or soon after, so for the most exclusive game selection, the Wii would probably be a good choice. Only problem is it's not big on the kinds of games you mentioned liking. I'd say the 360 would have the most overlap with PC games, which is why I don't have one.

Well, Super Mario Galaxy (and 2) are pretty amazing platformers, and you could try some of the new Metroid games too. Also, you can catch up on all the great N64 games you missed with the Virtual Console. Honestly though I feel kind of poorly qualified to grant you lots of advice outside of Wii games, since it's the only console I have right now. I use my PC for most of my gaming nowadays.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    corky842 wrote: »
    A few questions:
    Do you have a decent gaming PC?
    Are you interested in multiplayer? If so, what do your friends own?

1) I still have a fairly decent gaming rig set up. Pretty middle of the line nowadays.
    2) I enjoy MP, but its never been a make or break kind of thing for me. More of a "oh thats a nice bonus."

Visserian on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Very few people are going to recommend the wii as a primary console, so it's between the 360 and the PS3. This thread will become a horrendous flamewar over that discussion, so I recommend you simply research both of them yourself.

There are four distinguishers that you should use to decide which one you want.
    • What are the total costs of entry on a system. (Including console, peripherals and subscription packages to online services)
    • What system exclusives from either system do you want? This includes DLC exclusives versus full game exclusives, as the 360 is more likely to receive DLC exclusives.
    • Do you need a blu-ray player?
    • Do you have friends playing online on either system?

The consoles are virtually identical otherwise, so beyond that it's all personal preference. In all honesty, the number one decision point is usually, "Which of my friends own which consoles, and what games do I want to play online with them?" since there is no cross-console multiplayer.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Have you ever played Zelda, and if so did you like it? Because you can play just about every console Zelda game ever released between Virtual Console and the fact that it plays Gamecube discs. The triple threat of LttP/OoT/MM alone if you like Zelda games and have never played them would warrant the purchase of a Wii and a Gamecube controller.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I haven't had a console since my N64 about a decade ago, so I was coming from the same place.
    I now have an Xbox 360 with Kinect. I highly recommend it. I can't compare it to PS3, and I'm not going to.
    First of all, I just have to say the Kinect is awesome for everyone, like literally. Have a party? Why bother fucking around with stupid wiimotes that have troubles connecting, or looking around for that third controller, when you can just stand in front of the display.
    You'll also have a huge backlog of games, and you know how well they stack up now. Most games can be found pretty cheaply because people have already played through them a couple of times now. So you're basically not paying the full price for most of them. And, again, you know how good they are, as by now many people have reviewed them and all that.
    FPSes are going to suck like no other though. Coming from a KBAM to goofy joystick thing is weird, but that's that way regardless of which system you'll ultimately buy.
    A lot of PC games, as you know, have been ported from the Xbox. Now's your chance to go play them on their native platform. You don't have to worry about the suckage that came from the contracted company made of college graduates that ultimate did the conversion, because there is no conversion needed. Some of the awkwardness will disappear if you want to replay these games. Some of the games, as I'm sure you know, will just play better.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I prefer the 360, but the PS3 has some great exclusives similar to what you're looking for - Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, some other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Personally, I would start with the PS3. If you haven't played Team ICO's games, you need to!

I would recommend the 360 (I do have one, and enjoy it), but I, like you, have a gaming PC, and a ton of the best 360 titles make their way to PC eventually. The Wii is pretty all right, but overall it's been something of a disappointment with regards to more traditional games. I have one, but like pretty much everyone who has one, let me speak these words to you: I rarely use it. I use my GameCube all the fucking time, though. Seriously. :X

The PS3 is backwards compatible with the PS1, and you should grab some cool PS1 games. Legend of Mana and Tomba! are a couple I can think of that would be worth the money. Not all PS2 games are backwards compatible, but most good ones are. I feel bad saying "you should get a PS3 because you can play PS1/2 games on it" but honestly, the only console exclusives I really fell in love with were Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls. I do really, really like those games, though. I think the best is yet to come with regards to the PS3, though. The Last Guardian isn't out yet, but when it finally comes out, man, it's going to be huge.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New PS3s are not backwards compatible. Someone look that up, but I believe the 60gb ones are highly prized because they are backwards compatible in a hardware rather than software way too ... some later versions used buggy/laggy software to emulate.

New ones I think don't emulate at all.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    New PS3s are not backwards compatible. Someone look that up, but I believe the 60gb ones are highly prized because they are backwards compatible in a hardware rather than software way too ... some later versions used buggy/laggy software to emulate.

Wait, so PS3 aren't backwards compatible anymore? Cause that was one of the major features that was tempting me to the PS3. The ability to play DQ7-8, Shadow of the Collosus, and a bunch of other games from the PS1 and PS2 era I've missed out on.

Is Xbox backwards compatible?

Visserian on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Current PS3's are only PS1 backwards compatible. You'd be hard pressed to find one of the models that has PS2 backward compatibility and to be honest you'd probably be better off just buying a slim PS2 along with a slim PS3 than try and find a decent priced older PS3 model.

360 is.. partially backward compatible? I'm pretty sure only certain games work on it.

Adus on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Most O-XBOX games are playable on the 360. There aren't that many original XBOX games I can think of that are really killer apps, though (aside from the titles that have newer iterations on the 360).

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Visserian wrote: »

Wait, so PS3 aren't backwards compatible anymore? Cause that was one of the major features that was tempting me to the PS3. The ability to play DQ7-8, Shadow of the Collosus, and a bunch of other games from the PS1 and PS2 era I've missed out on.

Is Xbox backwards compatible?

The Xbox 360 is Backwards Compatible through software. Some games are not supported, just google the games you're interested in.

Not being able to play Dragon Quest VIII on your PS3 would kind of suck, yeah. But you can get a Slim PS2 for really cheap, anymore! Honestly, if you've missed out on the last 15 years of console gaming and you do want to revisit earlier generations, the Playstation 2 is something you have to get, even if you get a 360. The PSOne is pretty amazing, too. The OXbox? Not as much. Those assholes at Microsoft removed support for the original Xbox games, so you can't play cult classics like Phantom Dust, or just great arcade shooters like Crimson Skies online anymore. The Xbox's console exclusives also tended to find their way to the PC, and besides Otogi: Myth of Demons and its sequel, I'm actually having a hard time thinking of games you might want to play on the platform that you couldn't also play on the PC.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Get a PS2 and PS3.

I still play my favourite PS2 games regularly. More often than my PS3 in fact. That's not to say I don't play my PS3 more than I really should be...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Honestly if you've got a decent PC then you've played almost all of the good 360 games. I'd say get a PS3 and pick up both of the Ratchet and Clank games. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have both a 360 and a PS3, and even though I got the 360 first and have many times more games for it, I much prefer the PS3 for three reasons.
    1. Media playback. Blu-ray is seriously awesome, but a lesser-known fact about the PS3 is that its Netflix quality is considerably higher than that of either of the other consoles. Netflix on the PS3 streams at full 1080p with 5.1 surround sound; the best the 360 can do is 720p with basic stereo sound, and the Wii is even worse.
    2. There seems to be more overlap between 360 and PC than between PS3 and PC, and in most cases, I'd rather play those games on a PC. Take Mass Effect, just as an example - it did eventually come out for the PS3, but for a year, it was 360 or PC only, and I just don't understand why anyone would prefer a console version of a game like that. With the PC version, you get patches, mods, a much better control scheme, and potentially better graphics if your system can handle it. Games like Bioshock, the Orange Box, and Oblivion came out a year earlier on the 360 than on the PS3... but again, you could just play them on the PC.
    3. Controls. This will probably sound stupid and finicky, but I just find the PS3 controller to be much more comfortable to use than the 360 controller, to the point where if I have to choose between buying one version of a game or the other, I'll go with the PS3 version unless it's measurably worse in some other significant way. Of course, it might be the complete opposite for you, so I highly recommend spending at least a few minutes playing demos on both consoles at a Gamestop or something to get a feel for them.

All that said, though, my fiance made a comment that I don't actually disagree with: if your primary concern is playing video games, the 360 is better. It gets games sooner, it has arguably better exclusives depending on what your interests are, and it does provide a superior online experience. But if you also want a console that can play do stuff like play Blu-rays and stream Netflix at the best possible quality, get a PS3.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can only speak to the Wii, but if you have young children it's the clear winner. Some of the games are simply fantastic (Zelda, SM Galaxies 1 and 2. Many, many others only so-so.)

Michael Vox on
  • Options
    brain operatorbrain operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All that said, though, my fiance made a comment that I don't actually disagree with: if your primary concern is playing video games, the 360 is better. It gets games sooner, it has arguably better exclusives depending on what your interests are, and it does provide a superior online experience.
    The 360 has better exclusives depending on what your interests are? I'd say you have to have some very specific and unusual interests for that to be true. Sony focuses more on exclusives than Microsoft does. There are some 10-15 A-list games coming out this year alone that are PS3-exclusives.

If you have a decent - good enough to play just about anything that's released, even if you have to tone down the settings - PC rig and it's either a 360 or a PS3, I'd vote for the latter (I have both). You get the Bluray (and superior technology in general, although that doesn't mean much anymore), the PSN is free, and you arguably have more exclusives.

There are some counterarguments though: price and an arguably faster release schedule. The xbox360 also comes with a wireless controller, while you'll have to buy that separately for the PS3 (and it's worth the price IMO, so added on top of the console being cheaper you're quickly a couple of games ahead in terms of investment when going xbox). Also, Kinect is hands-down better than Move IMO, but I'm not that interested in either.

Finally, the Wii: that's a separate consideration for me. It does have some great games you can't get anywhere else, but unless the number and variety of really good games goes up significantly, it's not worth it for me. I'll be honest though: I have always felt that the Wii is just a gimmick, not a full-fledged console. When I do play Wii games at a friends, I never even use the chucks. For me there's no point in a console if I never use its defining feature.

brain operator on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Huh? The PS3 comes with a wireless controller, too. In fact, arguably the PS3's wireless controller is a better value out of the box being that it's rechargeable, whereas the bundled 360 wireless controller uses batteries and you have the option to buy a charge kit.

Anyway I never really weighed in as an owner of both the 360 and PS3, but I guess if I had to lean toward the one that seems the most useful to me it would be the PS3. My PC is pretty much my main source of gaming, and there simply aren't many titles for the 360 that don't get released on PC. Tales of Vesperia is probably the best 360 game that doesn't exist on either the PS3 (unless you're in Japan) or PC.

Additionally as mentioned before, Blu-ray and free online are big points in favor for the PS3 as well. You can't even use Netflix on 360 without being a gold Live member which I think is real dumb. I still like the 360 as a console, though. I like the feel of the controller more, and the dashboard looks nicer to me. Xbox live arcade has a lot of stuff on it, too, though I really don't utilize it. If you like indie games it's probably the stronger supporter of the two.

I guess Kinect vs. Move could be a point of debate but it's not one I can really comment on as I don't have a huge interest in either. Though in my opinion the Kinect is the more interesting piece of tech.

Honestly I don't use either console a whole lot, but not everything gets ported to the PC or ported well, especially things like RPGs.

Adus on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is it bad I always check the post count on these game system threads? I just assume it's a marketer mining for data. Anyway...

If you were looking to play PS2 games, I have good & bad news. Bad is other's are correct - no new systems are BC and I wouldn't recommend getting a 60GB at this point if you found one unless it was New In Box. Good news is it wasn't that great. Maybe I just made bad choices, but most of the PS2 I played looked pretty crummy on my 46".

Honestly I would get a PS3 and see if you find time/money/desire for the older games. Between discs and PSN, there's so many new and quite a few re-dos you may not need a PS2 at all: PSN has a lot of PS1 and 2 games.

Also buy from Blue Jeans or Monoprice to get an HDMI cable.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I guess I will throw down my opinion on this, if you like FPS or online games, get an xbox. If you prefer action adventure games get a PS3. The online for PS3 really isn't that great, maybe it got better but I found it lagged and was hard to get games, also not a lot of players for all but the most popular games.

360, Halo and Gears of War
    PS3 Uncharted, MGS and God of War.

Also this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusives_%28seventh_generation%29

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My only real criteria was "which console has the most exclusives that I want to play?" A few years ago that comparison led me to the 360, though obviously you might feel differently. If you plan to continue to play games on the PC though I imagine you'd lean heavily toward the PS3, because like people said, most of the major 360 titles seem to eventually get PC releases.

I personally don't really care if my console is also a blu-ray player and a netflix box and all that other junk; I have other hardware for that, I just want my console to play games.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you like playing online and like playing with people, get a 360. If you don't mind gaming alone in your man-cave, get a PS3.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    If you like playing online and like playing with people, get a 360. If you don't mind gaming alone in your man-cave, get a PS3.

I know lots of people who play online on the PS3, but the paid Live service does include a lot more moderating. This results in less cheaters on Live, while some PS3 games just devolve into bullshit hackery to excess levels.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey all,

Thank you all for the advice. With people here telling me that the overlap between Xbox and PC is greater than that between PS3 and PC. I decided to get the PS3, went to a Gamestop and found a used 60gb PS3 which I snatched up along with God of War 3 and FF13. Too bad the controller they gave me with used system doesn't work. But I'll just take it back tomorrow and hope I can get a replacement.

Anyway I want to thank you all for your advice.

Visserian on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

I know lots of people who play online on the PS3, but the paid Live service does include a lot more moderating. This results in less cheaters on Live, while some PS3 games just devolve into bullshit hackery to excess levels.

Don't forget the racism. Every game I play with white trash nazi wantabees. Seems to be clearing up on COD BLOPS though. Maybe that report button does work after all.

useless4 on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've got all three consoles and a library of about 20+ games for each console.

My Ps3 probably gets the most love, but there's a lot of good memories thanks to xbox live arcade titles.

In the end, I will probably always recommend a PS3 over the xbox360 though for the free online, a decent if not comparable online game download service to xbox arcade, and the ability to just plug in a USB drive with music, movies, photos, whatever and easily access them immediately.

I also like not having to purchase batteries every 3 months for all of my controllers. Biggest overlooked flaw of the xbox360 IMO, as rechargeable batteries kind of suck.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey all,

Thank you all for the advice. With people here telling me that the overlap between Xbox and PC is greater than that between PS3 and PC. I decided to get the PS3, went to a Gamestop and found a used 60gb PS3 which I snatched up along with God of War 3 and FF13. Too bad the controller they gave me with used system doesn't work. But I'll just take it back tomorrow and hope I can get a replacement.

Make sure you have a Dualshock 3 controller, not a SIXAXIS.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey all,

Return FFXIII ASAP and get Uncharted 1 and 2. I'm as much a FF fanboy as anyone, but XIII is terrrrrible. Uncharted is quite literally one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had since I started gaming in 1983.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I should add the wired 360 controller is by far the best controller I have ever used for any console, really is quite a bit better than everything out there.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like the xbox controller. Best controller hands down, fits the hands better and more comfortably than the ps3 controller. Plus if you are into motion control stuff the kinect is just lightyears ahead of the other two. I also prefer the xbox dashboard to the ps3 one.

edit: I find the wireless controller works great with the plug in battery charger.

In defense of ps3 though, it is a cheap blu ray player.

edit: apparently this is solved already. Durf!

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    Hey all,

Return FFXIII ASAP and get Uncharted 1 and 2. I'm as much a FF fanboy as anyone, but XIII is terrrrrible. Uncharted is quite literally one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had since I started gaming in 1983.

Well I liked FFXIII. I'd say something along the lines of "don't let people tell you something is terrible until you judge for yourself" but truthfully if we were talking about Heavy Rain I'd tell you to return it, too.

Basically what I'm saying is don't get Heavy Rain.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey all,

Well I wanted to get a good action game and an RPG. Chose GoW3 cause I've heard great things about the series, and FF13, cause FF4 and 6 (and Chronotrigger) were the games I played to death on my SNES so I was hoping FF13, would have the same wow-factor. If FF13, isn't that great what other RPGs are out there that are worthwhile?

Visserian on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey all,

Well I wanted to get a good action game and an RPG. Chose GoW3 cause I've heard great things about the series, and FF13, cause FF4 and 6 (and Chronotrigger) were the games I played to death on my SNES so I was hoping FF13, would have the same wow-factor. If FF13, isn't that great what other RPGs are out there that are worthwhile?

FF13 doesn't even qualify as an RPG.

I would say either Eternal Sonata or Valkyria Chronicles. Honestly, there's not a ton out there for the PS3 RPG wise. If you don't mind a little shooting or twitch combat, Demon's Souls is AMAZING and the release of Mass Effect 2 for PS3 is pretty good, but you might already have that on PC.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I doubt it'll give you much of a wow factor, though it will probably do a good job of showing off the graphical power of the PS3.

As far as other RPGs go, I enjoyed Resonance of Fate a lot. That kinda went under the radar due to the fact that it literally came out the same week (if not the same day) as FFXIII. I'd say the battle system starts to feel a bit repetitive near the end, but it's pretty unique.

Valkyria Chronicles is a lot of fun if you can get past the inappropriately cheerful presentation (it's basically anime WWII). It's a strategy RPG so not quite like FF or CT but the gameplay is really interesting and strategic.

I would be wary of Demon's Souls. It's very difficult, and in my opinion not in the good way. A lot of people feel differently so...

Adus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    I doubt it'll give you much of a wow factor, though it will probably do a good job of showing off the graphical power of the PS3.

As far as other RPGs go, I enjoyed Resonance of Fate a lot. That kinda went under the radar due to the fact that it literally came out the same week (if not the same day) as FFXIII. I'd say the battle system starts to feel a bit repetitive near the end, but it's pretty unique.

Valkyria Chronicles is a lot of fun if you can get past the inappropriately cheerful presentation (it's basically anime WWII). It's a strategy RPG so not quite like FF or CT but the gameplay is really interesting and strategic.

I would be wary of Demon's Souls. It's very difficult, and in my opinion not in the good way. A lot of people feel differently so...

Demon's Souls just harkens back to the days when games were difficult. If you actually pay attention to what you're doing and don't rush the game, you'll do just fine.

Esh on