As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online Music Stores

RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm looking for an online music store with the following criteria:

No DRM
Not subscription based
Large selection

So iTunes, URGE (and other PlaysForSure stores) and eMusic are out. Another concern is that the interface is good. Does anyone have a good experience with a store like this?

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
RandomEngy on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    RandomEngy wrote:
    No DRM
    Not subscription based
    Large selection

From what I've seen, you get to pick two of these. I've yet to see a store with all three.

Echo on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    you could just strip the DRM from iTunes music you buy with QTFairUse.

Kriz on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kriz wrote:
    you could just strip the DRM from iTunes music you buy with QTFairUse.

Last I tried QTFairUse cuts off the tail end of the song.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    insound

it not got a huge range of artists, but its DRM free, $9.99 an album, and has alot of free tracks too.

Keep it indie :wink:

LewieP on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Echo wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:
    No DRM
    Not subscription based
    Large selection

From what I've seen, you get to pick two of these. I've yet to see a store with all three.

Can't you just sign up for a month, get the tracks you need and then leave it till you're next peckish? I'm considering doing that with emusic.

Rook on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    http://www.emusic.com/

Thread over. Kinda. As Echo said, it's really a pick-two situation. But out of all the services, emusic is the closest to having.. not all three, but well, the closest vector of all three.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:
    No DRM
    Not subscription based
    Large selection

Can't you just sign up for a month, get the tracks you need and then leave it till you're next peckish? I'm considering doing that with emusic.
    wait, is that how emusic works? theres no DRM/monthly limit?

LewieP on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:
    No DRM
    Not subscription based
    Large selection

There is a monthly limit, but it's £15 for 90 songs? And yes, they're in mp3 format.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Rook wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:
    No DRM
    Not subscription based
    Large selection

There is a monthly limit, but it's £15 for 90 songs? And yes, they're in mp3 format.
    hmm, I shall have to consider that, thats in my current student price range of charity shops and bargain bins.

LewieP on
  • Options
    master_kaosmaster_kaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    uhhhh allofmp3.com? meets all 3 requirements (selection might only be the one it is a bit lacking on), the only issue is the questionable legality but that is up to debate. But with being able to download in whatever fileformat, and whatever bitrate for only about 20 cents a song, and a couple dollars an album.. it is great!

master_kaos on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    uhhhh allofmp3.com? meets all 3 requirements (selection might only be the one it is a bit lacking on), the only issue is the questionable legality but that is up to debate. But with being able to download in whatever fileformat, and whatever bitrate for only about 20 cents a song, and a couple dollars an album.. it is great!

Russkies are having some issues right now with the gray area surrounding allofmp3.com.

More specifically, companies in the USA are trying to use international treaties and trade agreements to force the Russkies to have some issues right now with the gray area surrounding allofmp3.com.

Stand tall Russia, and don't let those stupid Yankskis tell you how to run your country!

slurpeepoop on