As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

my computer is shitting the bed

jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACEScenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
so I was getting ready to play some WoW with a friend of mine tonight with a normal amount of programs open, when I got some ridiculous slowdown. I hit ctrl alt del to try and close WoW, and my computer froze. restarting my computer took longer than normal, and when I reopened WoW, I got crazy blue artifacting shit (like a bunch of dotted lines?) on my screen, and then no signal

this makes me think my graphics card is kicking the bucket, but the overall computer slowdown is confusing

also, safe mode works enough to be able to post this. I still have blue lines all over the fucking place though. strangely enough they only appear on dark colors?

any other opinions?

so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
jpeg on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Literally the exact same thing happened to me. Dead card.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seconded. You need a new graphics card.

Check the age of the card online, the model of card online, and look for any known problems. If the card is relatively new and has no known issues with that model, you might want to run a heat monitoring program for a week or so with the new card to make sure your PC isn't having heat issues. If it was heat that caused the issue with the card and not simply it being old, you don't want to have the situation repeat itself with the new one.

Dhalphir on