As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Serious Sam 3: BFE - Jewel of the Nile DLC out tomorrow!

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just last week, my friends and I reinstalled SS1 to run through the campaign co-op style.

What magnificent timing we have.

Edit: Also, All my dicks etc.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Had a blast earlier playing SSHD FE with curly haired boy, Drake, donhonk, pabh, and a couple of curly's buddies:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/idolninja/screenshots/

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've never played these games. Did you play co-op?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It really is just as awesome as it ever was.

Just hold down the trigger and go!

Yeah, Trippy, we had a boatload on, runnin' and gunnin' and laughing it up on Teamspeak. The coop is well done and a truly outstanding way to play the game.

Drake on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Play with alt blood schemes at LANs for extra fun.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    turns out kiddie gib mode IS in first encounter. turned it on and had a blast :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hooooooooolllllllyyyyyyshiiiiiiit those shots are incredible.

I cannot wait.

Serious Sam HD was such good times with friends. I consider it to be superior to every other co-op game in terms of fun, fun, fun.

I love the art style of SS3, it looks fucking fantastc.

RE: The chopper - I thought it looked like a friendly chopper that had been attacked by some tentacled enemy. But that makes too much sense, and this is serious sam, so a tentacled enemy chopper is probably what it is.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's on Steam! :D

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41070
    Steam wrote:
    Serious Sam 3: BFE is a glorious throwback to the golden age of first-person shooters where men were men, cover was for amateurs and pulling the trigger made things go boom. Serving as a prequel to the original indie sensation, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam 3 takes place during the Earth’s final struggle against Mental’s invading legions of beasts and mercenaries. Set against the collapsing temples of an ancient civilization and the crumbling cities of 22nd century Egypt, Serious Sam 3 is an exhilarating fusion of classic twitch shooters and modern gameplay features.

Features

* Frantic Arcade-Style Action – Hold down the trigger and lay waste to a never-ending onslaught of attackers or face being overrun by Mental’s savage beasts. No cover systems, no camping – it’s just you and them. All of them.
    * Mental’s Fearsome Legions – A new battalion of unforgettable minions including the rumbling Scrapjack and towering Khnum join the legendary Headless Kamikaze, Gnaar and Sirian Werebull to create the fiercest opposition you’ve ever had the pleasure of mowing down.
    * Spectacular Environments – Battle across the expansive battlefields of near-future Egypt bursting at the seams with total chaos. The shattered cities of tomorrow lined with the crumbling temples of an ancient world become your destructible playground.
    * Pure Multiplayer Mayhem – Play through the full campaign mode with up to 16 players or drop the gauntlet and let the heavy ordinance fly in versus modes like Deathmatch and Beast Hunt. This is the next level of Serious Sam multiplayer and all hell is about to break loose.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Has there been word on the size and scope of SS3? Is it going to be a Steam-only release with a handful of levels or a full title?

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Since it's a sequel it's probably a full release with all the bells and whistles.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm with Drake. It's definitely a full sequel. :D

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Both Painkiller Resurrection and Redemption were "sequels", too. But JoWood are kinda awful, so I guess thats a lousy comparison.

I can't wait to see the events leading up to ol'Sam Stone being plucked out of time and thrown into the past. I expect this will be a very serious game with a serious story and some serious drama. Seriously.

Klash on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seeing those horned monsters made me suddenly think of how amazing a Doom II: Hell On Earth reimagining would be using this new engine for giant mass imp combats in half-destroyed apartment buildings done with iD's aesthetics.

Failing that, this new Sam looks seriously impressive.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'll bet Doom 4 will be a reboot of Doom II in a way, and I'm putting my money on id kicking ass on that one. Same with Rage.

Serious Sam really does it like nothing else though, not even Painkiller. It just takes everything and turns it up to eleven then breaks off the knob and shoves it up your ass.

Drake on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I approve of our Croatian overlords bringing some asskicking back to the FPS genre.

Fuck your face modern warfare. Fuck your face contemporary weapons. Fuck your face evil Russians/turrsts. What is old is new again.

Sam I am.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Interview with Croteam about Serious Sam 3!
    http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/03/09/interview-croteams-ceo-and-cto-talk-more-about-serious-sam-3/
    First, it's been several years since the last all new Serious Sam game and the first person shooter genre has perhaps gotten more "serious" since then. Do you feel there will be a place for Serious Sam 3 in 2011?

Roman: Yes! This year it's all "No cover, only man" arcade action FPS war between serious boys. And we all know Serious Sam is the king of all seriousness. Seriously.

What can you tell us about the game's plot and how it relates to previous games in the series?

Alen: Serious Sam 3 is a prequel to The First Encounter, and will feature the events that led to Sam "Serious" Stone entering the Timelock. This time, we made the events in the game more integrated with story itself, so you can follow the story without resorting to reading the Netricsa. The Netricsa is still here for you to read up on various details about weapons and enemies, and feast your eyes on the models, but will not be required to understand what is going on at the tactical level.

All of the Serious Sam games are known for massive amounts of enemies on screen at once along with huge outdoor levels. Is it safe to say that Serious Sam 3 will continue that trend?

Roman: Yes, it's safe as getting icing on the cake.

Will we see any returning enemies in the new game such as the headless bomber or the charging bull?

Roman: Yes, those boys are key ingredients for Serious Sam franchise.

What new enemies can we expect to see in Serious Sam 3?

Alen: If you've followed the screenshots released so far, you have already seen Scrapjack, Antaresian Spiders, Witch-Bride of Achriman and a glimpse of the Technopolip. This is not the whole set, but stay tuned for more shots in the future. And of course, the favorites from the Encounters will also appear in Sam 3 and all of them have been redesigned in the new updated style.

What new and returning weapons will we see in the new game?

Alen: You'll wield the standard FPS arsenal with a few new additions in Serious Sam style. His trusty minigun and cannon are still here and they now look even more badass than ever before.

What kind of settings and locations can we expect to see in the new game?

Alen: Sam will be blowing both of chunks of concrete (or what's left of it) through the war-thorn Cairo in the middle of Mental's invasion, and stone from the ruins of ancient Egyptian temples. Plus you'll get to see some things that connect the stories of Sirians, Humans and Mental minions, but more about it when the matching screenshots appear.

Will Serious Sam 3 have any multiplayer features?

Roman: Sam is the king of all kings when it comes to co-op. Along with 16-player co-op campaign, we will also have various versus modes like the standard competitive Deathmatch, Beast Hunt modes, Capture The Flag etc.

In terms of the game's visuals, how does Serious Sam 3 compare with other current first person shooters?

Roman: It compares very good. First, we can handle 16 co-op players playing singleplay campaign, while still having stunning visuals like other current FPS games. Feel free to check with others how they handle that. If, of course, they even have co-op singleplay campaign to begin with. Also, among others, we have a support for a full range hdr rendering and dynamic direct light with color-bleeded light bounces. With these alone we are able to do additional miracles in game visuals. Just check our released SS3: BFE screenshots and see for yourself.

What other gameplay features do you think are important?

Alen: What could be more important than recklessly mowing down wave by wave of Mental's minions? Ah, yes, doing that together with your friends in 16-player online coop mode. Seriously though, we did a lot of tunings and adjustments to the gameplay to make it more modern and even more interesting than it was in TFE, but we took very special care at each step to keep that action feeling that's always been the trademark of Sam. There are some new things, like special moves, and we will reveal more about that in time, but "frantic action above all" is the rule.

Any plans for a beta or demo for Serious Sam 3 before its released?

Roman: It is too early to say at this stage, as there is still a bucket load of work on the full game. Once the work is done we will turn our attention on the demo.

Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Serious Sam 3?

Roman: Stay serious, support indies.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am getting SO PUMPED!

I could headbutt your mom!
    Ok, not your mom.
    Ok. I'm lying. I'm totally going to headbutt your mom.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    Alen: Serious Sam 3 is a prequel to The First Encounter, and will feature the events that led to Sam "Serious" Stone entering the Timelock. This time, we made the events in the game more integrated with story itself, so you can follow the story without resorting to reading the Netricsa. The Netricsa is still here for you to read up on various details about weapons and enemies, and feast your eyes on the models, but will not be required to understand what is going on at the tactical level.

The best news.

I need to know why there is a helicopter with tentacles. I need to know my motivation, guys.

Seriously, Netrisca in FE/SE was great. I don't know why some people were bummed about having to read stuff. The stuff in there was almost always hilarious or just a good bit of detail and exposition. SS2 not having it was a major bummer for me.

Has BFE been explained yet? What the acronym means? I think I figured out what BFE stands for, if it hasn't been announced. Given the FE/SE name set-up, and SS3 supposedly more like them than SS2, it's likely Before First Encounter. Kinda like a riff on Before Common Era, I guess.

Klash on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    Before First Encounter
    This was one that was kind of running around in my head for a while, but I refused to accept that as the meaning on the basis of "This is Serious Sam 3 It's a sequel not a prequel." Guess I was wrong :P

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sam Stone is coming to you in 2D, on your phone and with some leveling up to do.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108363-The-Serious-Sam-Indie-Series-Its-Not-Weird-Tentacle-Stuff

Klash on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sam Stone is coming to you in 2D, on your phone and with some leveling up to do.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108363-The-Serious-Sam-Indie-Series-Its-Not-Weird-Tentacle-Stuff

"I've never heard of any of these indie clowns," said Fork Parker, chief financial officer at Serious Sam 3: BFE publisher Devolver Digital. "Do any of these jokers make hentai games? I'm telling you guys, that weird tentacle stuff is the future of gaming."

Best quote ever.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    His name is Fork?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    NO COVER

ONLY ZUUL

I MEAN MAN

SERIOUSLY

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Before First Encounter
    This was one that was kind of running around in my head for a while, but I refused to accept that as the meaning on the basis of "This is Serious Sam 3 It's a sequel not a prequel." Guess I was wrong :P

Well, technically there's time-travel at the end so its after the first two games still? :)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Zxerol on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgf9MDxQ70A&tracker=False

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH Yourself.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I love that picture.

I love that video.

I love you guys.

Seriously.

Drake on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir5mw3D2L_s

So I only now realize where Fork Parker is from.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow. This was on page 7.

Anyway, if you're like me and don't have a copy of Serious Sam FE, it's on sale on gog.com right now for 2.39. It's only for 1 day!

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir5mw3D2L_s

So I only now realize where Fork Parker is from.

Fork Parker is a smarmy cantankerous pervert, and every single one of his tweets has made me smile and let the sun into my jaded and dark heart. <3

http://twitter.com/ForkParker

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Winning. Serious Sam is just winning.

If there isn't an actual multiplayer mode with gimped features and warlock powers, I think I might break on the inside.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    New interview with Roman Ribaric CEO of Croteam:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/serious-sam-3-bfe/news.html?sid=6308789&mode=previews

Also has a pic of a new enemy, named in the tweet:
    "The Sandwhale"
    623058_20110415_embed002.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "No cover; just a whole bunch of guys."

That's what I'm talking about.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, the helicopter in that shot is about to disappear.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sandwhale?

I cannot wait to meet this thing.

Drake on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Sandwhale?

I cannot wait to meet this thing.

Just wait for the Serious eroge romance options that come with it.

You heard the man about the future of the industry. You know how this ends. :winky:

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png