As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just bought a new PSP, tell what games to get?

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, I got a new PSP with the price drop, as my old one was stolen years ago. I have a bunch of old games for it, including Lumines, Wipeout Pure, Liberty City Stories, Metal Gear Solid Acid, X-Men Legends and Twisted Metal. Recommend me some games from the past couple of years to get as well!

I am planning to get Chinatown War Stories and maybe Fireteam Bravo. What do you recommend?

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://slashsignal.wikispaces.com/Playstation+Portable

Also I cannot recommend Half-minute Hero enough. Such a great twist on RPGs.

corky842 on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    corky842 wrote: »

There is no Valkaria Chronicles 2 on that list. It should be.

useless4 on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    useless4 wrote: »
    corky842 wrote: »

There is no Valkaria Chronicles 2 on that list. It should be.

It's a wiki. Add it.

corky842 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Persona 3 Portable.

Arguably the definitive edition of one of the best JRPGs in recent years.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Going to have to throw my vote in for Crisis Core and Dissidia. I bought a PSP a few years ago and had to sell it due to hard times, but I recently purchased a new one a few weeks ago and have been playing Crisis Core religiously. Such a great RPG.

StrifeRaZoR on
    StrifeRaZoR.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I bought a psp for one game, and one game only: the Tactics Ogre remake.

On the whole, it was worth it. It's a wonderful game.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Keep in mind, I hate JRPGs.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    WiipEout Pulse is pretty godamned amazing.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Monster Hunter (Freedom Unite) pretty much never leaves my PSP, it's a fun action/rpg type deal without the usual RPG trappings of levelling or stats. Just you and a bunch of giant monsters to try and kill. Plus if you've got a PS3 you can play online with other people and the multi-player is just phenomenal.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter, which is a remake of the first Mega Man X title, is $10 on the PSN Store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EorgljM2MSQ

Also Killzone: Liberation, a top-down shooter, is $10 as well and very awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6gsMj_AQM

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BigbluefootBigbluefoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jeanne d'Arc was pretty sweet. They took the story of Joan of Arc, and really ran with it. Stays mildly close to the real thing (there really were people that fought alongside Joan by the names of Giles and La Hire, but Giles ended up being a child killer, and La Hire was most definitely not a lion-man). Its all tactics, but I liked the idea of 'your entire team moves at once' rather than 'okay, this guy moves now'. I played it for about 3 months solid, and beat it a few times.

Phantasy Star Portable was pretty cool, and there pretty much isn't a real plot to that. The Monster Hunter games were pretty fun, as well.

And if you are willing to give a good JRPG a shot, try Star Ocean: Second Evolution. Pretty awesome game, right there. Hell, First Departure was good too. Both are relatively cheap, 19 and 16 respectively, in a quick google shopping search.

Bigbluefoot on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    Keep in mind, I hate JRPGs.

P3P is different from most JRPGs in that it takes place over a year or so, and you play every single day of it, interacting with people and the like - unlike most JRPGs where you grind for ten hours to get the next bit of story, P3P constantly gives you character development and little hints about plot - grinding is recommended, but you can choose when to do it, and I don't think you need to do it as much as say Final Fantasy. The Press Turn system makes combat a lot more engaging, too. Giant Bomb has a quick look, I'd recommend giving it a watch, at least.

Only being a bit persistent because Persona 3 came out when I was in a phase of feeling JRPGs were getting stale and boring and now I'm a big Persona addict thanks to what they do right that other JRPGs do wrong.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    George Fornby Grill on