As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, [Arizona] is going crazy again

Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So the Arizona state legislature is up to some wacky antics again.

First there's this whole illegal immigration and anchor baby issue:
Arizona Lawmakers Push New Round of Immigration Restrictions
PHOENIX — Arizona lawmakers are proposing a sweeping package of immigration restrictions that might make the controversial measures the state approved last year, which the Obama administration went to court to block, look mild.

Illegal immigrants would be barred from driving in the state, enrolling in school or receiving most public benefits. Their children would receive special birth certificates that would make clear that the state does not consider them Arizona citizens.

Some of the bills, like those restricting immigrants’ access to schooling and right to state citizenship, flout current federal law and are being put forward to draw legal challenges in hopes that the Supreme Court might rule in the state’s favor.

SB 1070 on Steroids
Recent legislation introduced in Arizona serves to further amplify the potency of SB 1070 by remedying these precise problems. State Senators have introduced SB 1611, an “Omnibus” immigration bill that would deny illegal immigrants access to taxpayer-funded services to which they — as non-citizens and non-taxpayers — are not legally entitled. The new bill would deny all public benefits to undocumented immigrants in Arizona. It would also make proof of citizenship a requirement for those applying for public housing and vehicle registration as well as for public school enrollment from kindergarten through college. It would also make it illegal for an undocumented immigrant to operate a motor vehicle in the state and make failure to enforce immigration laws a class 2 misdemeanor.

Earlier on Tuesday, the committee also passed SB 1308, which seeks the approval of Congress to create separate birth certificates for children born to at least one parent with legal status and those born to undocumented parents — a system that would be a first nationwide. The aim of the bill, backers have said, is to force the U.S. Supreme Court to revisit the 14th Amendment, which has been interpreted as granting automatic citizenship to any child born in the country.

This is pretty atrocious. Lest any of us forget, here's the 14th amendment:
Amendment 14 - Citizenship Rights

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice-President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Seems pretty clear to me that separate birth certificates for children born in the U.S. violates the 14th in a pretty major way. Also seems that Arizona is saying 'fuck the boycott, let's do this.'

And in newer news of their pants-on-head preferences:
Arizona Senate Passes Bill To Let State Nullify Federal Laws
After being shot down earlier this week, the Arizona State Senate revived and successfully passed a bill that would create a mechanism for the state to nullify federal laws.

As TPM has reported, Senate Bill 1433 would create a 12-person "Joint Legislative Committee on Nullification of Federal Laws," which would "recommend, propose and call for a vote by simple majority to nullify in its entirety a specific federal law or regulation that is outside the scope of the powers delegated by the People to the federal government in the United States Constitution."

The bill passed the Senate 16-11 after three Republicans switched their vote.

Iowa passed a similar bill in its House last month, though that bill specified that the state would not be required to follow the individual mandate in the health care reform law. The Arizona bill gives the committee more broad powers to review "all existing federal statutes, mandates and Executive orders for the purpose of determining their constitutionality."

But State Senate President Russell Pearce (R) -- who introduced the bill, and also sponsored the state's controversial immigration law -- implied that health care reform was at least part of the impetus for the law: "If we don't take back our sovereign ability for the states to control the federal government, I guess we have no right to complain," he said, the Arizona Republic reports. "I guess 'Obamacare' is OK for you."

Nullification laws go against the language of the Constitution, which is pretty clear on the subject:
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
The Arizona bill will now go to the House for a vote.

Where will this end up?

steam_sig.png
Lord Yod on

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's pretty horrible.

And it might just squeak by unnoticed right now.

But really who the fuck do they figure making them even more of an under class is going to solve their problems?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The 'illegal immigrants forfeit their vehicles to the state' clause is a pretty big 'eff you' to the poor underclass as well. Sherriff Joe must run a used car dealership on the side?

Yeah, they want the Supreme Court to 'revisit' the 14th amendment. I would hope that that means that they re-read it and say, 'nope, hasn't changed. still says all kiddies born here are citizens'. But knowing Scalia and his weird viewpoint of the fourteenth amendment, who knows what could happen?

dojango on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Scalia would probably say that the original intent of the 14th Amendment was to grant citizenship to slaves, and as a result it should not be applied to anybody else.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The 'illegal immigrants forfeit their vehicles to the state' clause is a pretty big 'eff you' to the poor underclass as well. Sherriff Joe must run a used car dealership on the side?

Didn't see this. That doesn't even sound legal. You can't take someone's stuff away just because.

And passing laws you know are shitty because you're trying to goad the SC into ruling on them is terrible.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well.

It seems that the good state of Arizona is fighting to take back the "Dumbest shit at the state level" focus away from Wisconsin.

C'MON WISCONSIN, YOU CAN DO IT! I BELIEVE IN YOU!! DON'T LET THOSE SOUTH WESTERNERS TAKE AWAY WHAT YOU'VE ACHIEVED!

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Scalia would probably say that the original intent of the 14th Amendment was to grant citizenship to slaves, and as a result it should not be applied to anybody else.

yeah, that's the worry.

Didn't see this. That doesn't even sound legal. You can't take someone's stuff away just because.

And passing laws you know are shitty because you're trying to goad the SC into ruling on them is terrible.

As for civil forfeiture, it's a pretty big deal when it comes to drugs. You can lose your house because your kid had a pot plant in the closet in some places. (or because your ex-husband stowed coke under the sink without your knowledge. true story!) Also it requires less of a standard than criminal conviction as well, so it is easier to take their car then put them in jail.
    Illegal immigrants found driving would face 30 days in jail and forfeit the vehicle to the state.
    according to the linked article.

dojango on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Scalia has, as far as I know, actually already made this claim in some context (I don't think it was a dissent, but I could be wrong), so that's how he and the conservative bloc of SCOTUS will certainly vote.

I'm just hoping that overturning what's at this point nearly a century of stare decisis will be too crazy for Kennedy to swallow.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

Scalia has, as far as I know, actually already made this claim in some context (I don't think it was a dissent, but I could be wrong), so that's how he and the conservative bloc of SCOTUS will certainly vote.

I'm just hoping that overturning what's at this point nearly a century of stare decisis will be too crazy for Kennedy to swallow.

There was some crazy interview a month or two ago that made the rounds on the forums. The interviewer asked Scalia if 'equal protection' in the fourteenth amendment applied to gender discrimination, and Scalia said "nope! Because the guys who wrote it didn't mean for it apply to women!"

dojango on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    dojango wrote: »

There was some crazy interview a month or two ago that made the rounds on the forums. The interviewer asked Scalia if 'equal protection' in the fourteenth amendment applied to gender discrimination, and Scalia said "nope! Because the guys who wrote it didn't mean for it apply to women!"

"Original intent! It's like necromancy, only creepier!"

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well a couple more rounds of this and an original interpretation of the 14th amendment will give citizenship to their kids.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Originalist conversations in law school sure are fun, I can tell you. Where "fun" equals "total fucking bullshit."

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

"Original intent! It's like necrophilia, only creepier!"

Fixed.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    ImriayldeImriaylde Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Because of all this, Southern Arizona wants to become its own state.

That could be considered fairly crazy as well.

Imriaylde on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Imriaylde wrote: »

If Baja Arizona was going to be a conservative state, Republicans in Congress would be all over it. However, seeing as how it most likely won't be (Tucson, which leans liberal, would be the population center), it will be a cold day in hell before Republicans allow any new Democrats to the mix.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

At a certain point of crazy you gotta say, "fuck it, time to secede."

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.

Every so often you hear noises of new states wanting to form (Eastern Washington, North/South California, State of Jefferson), but the Constitution forbids it unless the state consents (Maine) or is in open rebellion and therefore no longer a state (West Virginia).

dojango on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    zerg rush wrote: »

At a certain point of crazy you gotta say, "fuck it, time to secede."

You know this is the same reasoning the right uses, with the thin veneer of "its ok because we're right" over it.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    It would also make proof of citizenship a requirement for those applying for public housing and vehicle registration as well as for public school enrollment from kindergarten through college.

I don't think I'm reading this right, because this alone would kill the bill. Requiring full citizenship for public school and public housing would instantly create a huge class of homeless uneducated immigrants.

Like, imagine a couple immigrating legally from another country, bringing their child with them. Under this bill, their child would be unable to attend public school because they're not a citizen.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It would also make proof of citizenship a requirement for those applying for public housing and vehicle registration as well as for public school enrollment from kindergarten through college.

I don't think I'm reading this right, because this alone would kill the bill. Requiring full citizenship for public school and public housing would instantly create a huge class of homeless uneducated immigrants.

Like, imagine a couple immigrating legally from another country, bringing their child with them. Under this bill, their child would be unable to attend public school because they're not a citizen.

I suspect there would be a provision for legal immigration status as most of the law seems to have one.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.

Every so often you hear noises of new states wanting to form (Eastern Washington, North/South California, State of Jefferson), but the Constitution forbids it unless the state consents (Maine) or is in open rebellion and therefore no longer a state (West Virginia).
    ...and Olympia would totally let us go, because we're a total drain on state resources and a massive red bastion, if it wouldn't instantly create 2 complete nutbag senators and a completely insane House rep or two.

But yeah, killing the 14th at the Supreme Court level? That's getting close to 'time to bail on this sinking ship' territory.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I agree with JihadJesus, as Eastern Washington does nothing but bitch and moan about taxes, regardless of the fact that they (like debtor states) get a far greater share of tax dollars than Western Washington. But Spokane is a cesspool of stupid, and any new Senators would come out of that, so no dice.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To the OP: Where this leads is Purple Texas. Which is the one thing the GOP can't afford.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I suspect there would be a provision for legal immigration status as most of the law seems to have one.

Well, most bills contain a 'severability' clause which says, "If one part of this bill is declared unconstitutional or repealed, the rest of the bill still remains in effect." So SCOTUS could (and should, obviously) overturn the seperate birth-certificate thing while leaving the other stuff intact.

The states are allowed to refuse to give public benefits to illegal immigrants under 8 USC 1621-4, as long as the restrictions aren't as restrictive as federal ones for comparable programs. Since illegal immigrants are permitted to drive on interstates, perhaps that would forbid Arizona from forbidding illegals from driving on their own roads? I'm not entirely sure. That's a matter for the courts.

dojango on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So why did you bold this part

"It would also make proof of citizenship a requirement for those applying for public housing and vehicle registration as well as for public school enrollment from kindergarten through college"

that seems like a pretty solid idea to me

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    CasedOut wrote: »

"It would also make proof of citizenship a requirement for those applying for public housing and vehicle registration as well as for public school enrollment from kindergarten through college"

Because that's pretty much going to force them into generational poverty and homelessness.

The right doesn't seem to get that you still need to treat people like human beings.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yes, because it is such a smart idea to create an undereducated underclass with little to no connection with the country they are in. It's worked so well for Europe, right?

It would be nice if the GOP stopped reading from the Grand Moff Tarkin Theory of Dealing With Sociopolitical Change.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Because creating an underclass of uneducated second-class citizens has rarely turned out well? Because the children of immigrants are still people? If treating them badly enough so that they'll go away is your idea of 'pretty solid', that's fair enough, I suppose. But from a public-policy stand point, it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Also, reading the bolded part, "make failure to enforce immigration laws a class 2 misdemeanor." Is also blatantly unconstitutional. First of all, who exactly is failing to enforce them? State police? Teachers? Federal officials? The first two have no authority to enforce immigration laws, and the last category isn't answerable to state power on that issue, since immigration enforcement is solely a federal issue.

dojango on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes definitely the key to our immigrant problem is to make sure that their kids don't have a hope of being useful members of society.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And they shouldn't go to hospitals, either. Festering cesspools of human misery, ho!

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to state what we all know - this bill has fuckall to do with immigration. It's about the fact that Arizona is well on the way to becoming a plurality state, and the fucknuts in power being absolutely terrified of that fact.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to state what we all know - this bill has fuckall to do with immigration. It's about the fact that Arizona is well on the way to becoming a plurality state, and the fucknuts in power being absolutely terrified of that fact.

How does this help their cause? By rallying the base? By making Arizona unattractive to legal migrants? Because punishing undocumented immigrants also rallies the opposition to the 'let's be dicks to immigrants' platform.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

How does this help their cause? By rallying the base? By making Arizona unattractive to legal migrants? Because punishing undocumented immigrants also rallies the opposition to the 'let's be dicks to immigrants' platform.

Because they think they can stop the clock by making life harder for minorities. The problem is that this isnt the fictional 50s they want to live in.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

How will you enforce it? What is legal proof of citizenship(outside of a passport)? Will you expand the burocracy to deal with it or simply tack it onto the already overburden local goverment? How will you pay for enforcement? Will you require everyone to submit proof or only brown people?

If illegals where not a drain on state finances before, they sure will be now.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hrm...

if their sole goal is to get rid of the illegal immigrants from AZ, wouldn't this pretty much achieve their goal? It's shitty, etc, etc but if all of a sudden:

- they can't get a license, they don't get a _lot_ of stuff
    - their kids can't go to school
    - they can't use tax payer stuff

I would imagine they would just pick up their shit and go to a different state, no? That state would most likely get a ton of cheap labor, while AZ prisons would fill up, but it would stem a lot of the illegal immigration, albeit in a super shit way.

That or the whole state would explode into violence/mayhem etc.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raakam wrote: »
    Hrm...

if their sole goal is to get rid of the illegal immigrants from AZ, wouldn't this pretty much achieve their goal? It's shitty, etc, etc but if all of a sudden:

I would imagine they would just pick up their shit and go to a different state, no? That state would most likely get a ton of cheap labor, while AZ prisons would fill up, but it would stem a lot of the illegal immigration, albeit in a super shit way.

Not really, no.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Because creating an underclass of uneducated second-class citizens has rarely turned out well? Because the children of immigrants are still people? If treating them badly enough so that they'll go away is your idea of 'pretty solid', that's fair enough, I suppose. But from a public-policy stand point, it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Also, reading the bolded part, "make failure to enforce immigration laws a class 2 misdemeanor." Is also blatantly unconstitutional. First of all, who exactly is failing to enforce them? State police? Teachers? Federal officials? The first two have no authority to enforce immigration laws, and the last category isn't answerable to state power on that issue, since immigration enforcement is solely a federal issue.

Not having read the phrase in context; I would imagine this is directed at the state/local police forces who might offer leeway to illegals, and such people as those who might approve the school enrollment, vehicle registration, or housing assistance without the required documents, or those who hire illegals, etc.

Basically, any person in a position to subvert the law's intent by turning a blind eye toward a person's immigration status.

Example: A teacher does not process your school registration, but the Superintendent (or their appropriate agent) might be held responsible.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raakam wrote: »
    Hrm...

You would see fewer illegal immigrants in Arizona, but it would be a marginal decrease.

-they can't get a liscence
    You would see a large section of the population immediately lose the ability to support themselves. This would translate directly to increased crime and reduced GDP, along with indirect erosion of rule-of-law. Losing your right to drive would quickly turn you into a criminal, even if you weren't one beforehand. Plus, if you couldn't afford a car anyway it wouldn't effect you, meaning this does not effect the poorest illegal immigrants. It only punishes the non-poor illegal immigrants, which is who we should be encouraging to stay and become citizens.

-their kids can't go to school
    Look at it this way. Each year, Arizona has X+Y people enter the workforce. X is the number of children who grow up with an education (or immigrate with an education), and Y is the number of people who grow up without an education (or immigrate without an education). It is in Arizona's best interest to have X be the largest number possible, and Y be the smallest number possible. Preventing immigration without an education is one way to reduce Y (eg, it's much easier to immigrate if you've got a college degree). Removing benefits from illegals is one very small and indirect way to reduce Y. However, by denying the children of illegal immigrants an education, you're directly pulling people from X and moving them to Y. The end result is Arizona shooting itself in the foot in 12 years.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, lets keep immigrants out of our school system. 20 year old illiterate Mexicans who can't speak english will improve things.

I'm sorry, but I have to troll these sorts of threads every once and a while. I get reminded just how fucked up the US is. These reminders appear to be occurring more and more frequently.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quick question, doesn't the fact that "anchor babies" are being born in the U.S. basically ensure they get all the rights and citizenship of American citizens. How does being born in a specific state make a difference? I thought Federal law superceded state law in these regards, but I'm not sure.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Yeah, lets keep immigrants out of our school system. 20 year old illiterate Mexicans who can't speak english will improve things.

I'm sorry, but I have to troll these sorts of threads every once and a while. I get reminded just how fucked up the US is. These reminders appear to be occurring more and more frequently.

20-year-old illiterate Mexicans who can't speak English should be rounded up and deported.

Now, 20-year-old illiterate Americans who can't speak English, that's a problem. As long as we're only requiring documentation on the child, and not the parents registering them (and not doing that stupid "special" birth certificate crap), I don't find it to be a fundamentally unreasonable requirement.

I don't think it's worth the effort, and I don't support it. But it's not absurd.

And shit, is this even new? I'm pretty sure we had to show a birth certificate when I enrolled in high school there almost two decades ago.

mcdermott on